Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Durzel posted:

Is it true that if you ADS there is no scope drag? I pretty much never ADS because I find the 3PS aiming decent enough.

There's still scope drag, but as your view is locked to where the gun's pointing instead of where you've put the mouse it can be easier to judge where your shots are going to land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Darox posted:

Heavy weapons also shouldn't fly up into the sky when you get flinched by hits either.

pretty much all weapons flinch the same amount regardless of how much scope drag they have and it is very poo poo

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Scope drag interferes with my funhaving. I want the gun to go where I point it, not play catch-up like a fat person chasing an ice cream truck.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Scope drag enhances my funhaving. I want the gun to have verisimilitude in this SF MilSim game, not act like a weightless 360 no-scope toy from an arena shooter

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 16, 2024

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Most slow aim problems are solved by the thing that solves everything: diving. If you get hit and your aim bounces dive to reset it and also not get hit again. If you need to aim quickly dive toward the target to aim faster.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Horace Kinch posted:

Scope drag interferes with my funhaving. I want the gun to go where I point it, not play catch-up like a fat person chasing an ice cream truck.

Use a smaller gun, Bing Bong so simple

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Scope drag makes me slow down with the Eruptor and pick my shots carefully. It feels powerful and deliberate and I typically dont blow myself up on hunters or TK buddies.

It is annoying that the frags disperse extremely randomly, sometimes you get a death cloud that wipes out a whole patrol, sometimes every single fragment travels in the opposite direction of your shot and kills the Helldiver standing 10 feet behind you.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I forget, does armor class affect the scope drag?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Another reason for scope drag and weight and flinching. It's very easy to imagine two hypothetical guns with the exact same damage and rate of fire and penetration etc for stats except one is snappier with higher recoil and the other is slower to movd with less recoil. Identical statistical performance but feel quite different in a way that means you can play with whatever works for you in terms of feel.

E: and yeah heavier guns having less flinch would be nice.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 16, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Spookydonut posted:

pretty much all weapons flinch the same amount regardless of how much scope drag they have and it is very poo poo

This is what kills the Dominator for me honestly. I can almost deal with the slow handling but once I've got the gun on target i needs to stay there. You'd think with a heavier gun, you wouldn't flinch nearly so much just cause it's so much harder to shift the weight of the gun around.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Horace Kinch posted:

I love the scope drag and consider it very satisfying. I like the flinching too, though it would be nice if heavy armors reduced it. I don't think they do. (they should reduce slowdown from hits as well)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Scoss posted:

I really like the Spear, it might be the best bad gun in the game.

It'd be an 11/10 gun for me if the target lock actually worked consistently. Being able to take out gun towers, bot factories and tanks at any angle and at great distance is good enough that I might still run it just for that. I just wish I didn't have to flip a coin to see if the lock will actually work, and I don't understand why a literal SAM missile is worse at taking out dropships than a dumb-fire bazooka. There is no good reason why the Spear should ever target lock on the tall walker robots either.

I assume it's just total junk against bugs.

It's actually the best of the dedicated anti-tank weapons for bots. Precisely because even though it is buggy, it gives you a capability the other weapons do not. IE to reach out and hit towers and bases from hundreds of meters distant regardless of facing. There are plenty of tools for taking things out at closer range, but the Spear is the only weapon that can do that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Since exoskeleton or servo-assist is already established in the game, maybe the heavier the armour the less aim drag weapons should have? Would be a great counterpoint to the sluggish footspeed of heavy armour if I could swivel my powerful guns around faster.

Sestze posted:

The right-hand armor is a 50 armor +2 grenade light armor - well worth the pickup if you don't have the breaker set. Other one's a medium armor with +2 stims, same as the two medic armors from the main battlepass.

It would be nice to compare to what I have on that same screen somewhere instead of backing out and going to the Armoury.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 16, 2024

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

If you find the eruptor hard to aim try crouching more. I crouch (or prone) for literally almost every shot I take. You get into a good rhythm of crouch, fire, then if you need to you can sprint out of the crouch away while you rack the next shot before sliding into a crouch and firing again. It takes no time at all to crouch and stand up again, and it makes such a huge difference I always notice if I’m on uneven terrain and the crouch doesn’t quite take.
Also diving backwards to fire at bugs that get up close will stop you from getting ragdolled by your own shrapnel most of the time. Plus you get to feel like max payne.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I'm pretty sure i've two shot chargers with the eruptor by Aiming just underneath them and slightly ahead as they charge. Maybe it manages to hit most of the shrapnel to the butt that way. Idk. People can theorycraft voodoo game mechanics all i know is i love this stupid gun.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

flubber nuts posted:

are robot bugs real?

Personally I find the idea of a bug that beeps OH-FENsive!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Astrochicken posted:

I'm pretty sure i've two shot chargers with the eruptor by Aiming just underneath them and slightly ahead as they charge. Maybe it manages to hit most of the shrapnel to the butt that way. Idk. People can theorycraft voodoo game mechanics all i know is i love this stupid gun.

Its definitely possible to take chargers out like this but like a bunch of other weapons in this game sometimes it just decides not to work

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Since some people are using macros for strats just let barrel sway be a toggle. Then some people can turn it off.

Win win

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Schwawa posted:

If you find the eruptor hard to aim try crouching more. I crouch (or prone) for literally almost every shot I take. You get into a good rhythm of crouch, fire, then if you need to you can sprint out of the crouch away while you rack the next shot before sliding into a crouch and firing again. It takes no time at all to crouch and stand up again, and it makes such a huge difference I always notice if I’m on uneven terrain and the crouch doesn’t quite take.
Also diving backwards to fire at bugs that get up close will stop you from getting ragdolled by your own shrapnel most of the time. Plus you get to feel like max payne.

Yes! I got into the habit of crouching while firing w/ most guns and maybe going prone to reload (this while fighting bots). I started doing the dive back to shoot near bugs that got too close for comfort.

I think eruptor really is going to have to eat a nerf soon with how effective it can be against bugs. Maybe as long as they give some of that power to explosive crossbow..

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For chargers, where is the ideal aimpoint for flamethrower? I'm trying eruptor/redeemer/stun/flamethrower/EATs + 2 I'm not sure on (500s and airstrike? 500s and a backpack?) But chargers don't seem to die as fast as I'd like to the flamethrower but I might just be doing it wrong.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ravenfood posted:

For chargers, where is the ideal aimpoint for flamethrower? I'm trying eruptor/redeemer/stun/flamethrower/EATs + 2 I'm not sure on (500s and airstrike? 500s and a backpack?) But chargers don't seem to die as fast as I'd like to the flamethrower but I might just be doing it wrong.

Gotta focus on a leg

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

KlavoHunter posted:

Factory Striders are back!!!

Was just in a Level 7 Eradication, the bots dropped one on us and we killed it piece by piece... then they dropped three more on us. Barely escaped with my life, and my teammates didn't make it out.

Then did another 7 after that, and they threw another factory strider our way. But this time we just 500kg'ed it.

Also, there's a new Level 6 mission type that is dedicated to hunting factory striders.

Funny story!

https://twitter.com/helldivers2/status/1780235765873553889?t=lq_gkB5vpl17SCTfsqj7fA&s=19

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Is there some sort of hidden spawn balance change over the last couple of days or are spawns bugged. I've been having some absolutely wild games recently with friends where difficulty is randomly through the roof. I was playing level 4 with some low level friends and a base had 4 hulks and 2 tanks in it. Level 5 bots has been weird where I've gotten entire bot drops of just hulks or heavy devestators.

I normally play on 7/8 for both bots and bugs and this has felt significantly harder. A couple of other friends have noticed the same thing separately, but I'm not seeing people here mention it.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Astrochicken posted:

Yes! I got into the habit of crouching while firing w/ most guns and maybe going prone to reload (this while fighting bots). I started doing the dive back to shoot near bugs that got too close for comfort.

I think eruptor really is going to have to eat a nerf soon with how effective it can be against bugs. Maybe as long as they give some of that power to explosive crossbow..

I hope not. Eruptor has quickly become my favourite gun. It doesn’t feel overpowered to me, I think it’s fairly well balanced by how cumbersome it is. The crossbow needs a boost for sure though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Black Noise posted:

Since some people are using macros for strats just let barrel sway be a toggle. Then some people can turn it off.

Win win

Why would anybody use the optional mechanic that makes their gun turn slowly if they made it an option? The toggle you're looking for is not using large guns if you're that averse to the mechanic.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Dilber posted:

Is there some sort of hidden spawn balance change over the last couple of days or are spawns bugged. I've been having some absolutely wild games recently with friends where difficulty is randomly through the roof. I was playing level 4 with some low level friends and a base had 4 hulks and 2 tanks in it. Level 5 bots has been weird where I've gotten entire bot drops of just hulks or heavy devestators.

I normally play on 7/8 for both bots and bugs and this has felt significantly harder. A couple of other friends have noticed the same thing separately, but I'm not seeing people here mention it.

I had a bot mission tonight on 7 that was pretty nuts. It felt like every single dropship was all rocket devastators and hulks so we were constantly getting blown up from all angles. It definitely feels like it’s been a little more hectic the last few days.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah my group of friends have all been feeling that things have felt a lot more difficult in general lately. We ran a set of bug missions last night that all went incredibly tits up and almost didn't extract for all of them. Could've just been an off night but we've been having a rough go at it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

explosivo posted:

Why would anybody use the optional mechanic that makes their gun turn slowly if they made it an option? The toggle you're looking for is not using large guns if you're that averse to the mechanic.

Whatever it is that doesn’t make me use autohotkey to put in stratagems is the same thing that would encourage people to turn on barrel sway obviously. Hearing that someone was using a stratagem macro didn’t take away from my experience.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Icedude posted:

There's still scope drag, but as your view is locked to where the gun's pointing instead of where you've put the mouse it can be easier to judge where your shots are going to land.
Your view is not locked to where the gun's pointing in first person. Influenced by it, moves with it as it recoils, but if you swing your mouse around(especially with slow heavy weapons) your camera will plainly move much faster than the gun, which takes time to catch up and pull the sights into view. It's the same thing as your dot/circle reticles, for the most part-mouse aim point and gun aim point.

Black Noise posted:

Win win
Since some people are using cheats, let's just throw balance out the window and implement a choice where the vast majority of people will choose what gives them a mechanical edge, now that it's something the game itself offers. This and other brilliant game design ideas courtesy of something awful

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I completed a Suicide Mission level game but the next difficulty isn't unlocked. :wtc:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Doctor Zero posted:

I completed a Suicide Mission level game but the next difficulty isn't unlocked. :wtc:

Did you complete every mission in the operation you started? Because that's what you need to do, not just beat one level.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

explosivo posted:

Did you complete every mission in the operation you started? Because that's what you need to do, not just beat one level.

Ahhhhhhh. I thought it meant all objectives in one mission. :wotwot: So, one more to go then.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dilber posted:

that's just how this game works

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

LazyMaybe posted:

Since some people are using cheats, let's just throw balance out the window and implement a choice where the vast majority of people will choose what gives them a mechanical edge, now that it's something the game itself offers. This and other brilliant game design ideas courtesy of something awful

I interpreted it as a physical ability complication it was someone in the discord using it so I didn’t press the issue. With it being a pve game you don’t lose anything from someone using that so I don’t really see a difference with bullet sway being a toggle. You could even go GTA-Online and set matchmaking to barrel sway / no barrel sway.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dilber posted:

Yeah I suspect they either broke something or retuned difficulty. My wife wanted to play with me and we’ve been duo’ing 5’s till she’s comfortable and we dropped directly on a pack of six chargers yesterday. There was a lot of chaos and air strikes and at least one charger got killed by me chucking an eats ball onto its back.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Difficulty in this game has always been fairly random due to whatever spawn set you get changing things a lot, the missions where you get a lot more devastators or where it's Whoops All Bile Spewers can be rough.

Regarding weapon dragon, I feel like there's no real reason to remove it. All games don't need to be for everyone, and the weird milsim bits are part of the charm.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I really struggle to accept life on life's terms but when it comes to video games I take them as they come. I like the gun sway. i'm a complete mess.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
gun sway and blurred vision outside of the scope makes clearing a patrol of bots in a few seconds from 200m feel even satisfying than if it was perfect vision and snappy aim imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gorelab posted:

Difficulty in this game has always been fairly random due to whatever spawn set you get changing things a lot, the missions where you get a lot more devastators or where it's Whoops All Bile Spewers can be rough.

Regarding weapon dragon, I feel like there's no real reason to remove it. All games don't need to be for everyone, and the weird milsim bits are part of the charm.

It’s not even really milsim stuff, it’s pure balance. There would never be a reason not to run jar/eruptor if they weren’t a little unwieldy. As it stands every time I do take them I lament losing out on the agility that my sickle allows, and when I do take the sickle I find myself going “oh six hulks that would be cake with my jar” or “god drat bike spewers!”

The constant pining for the fjords of the weapon I didn’t take shows how well balanced they are against each other. See also fire shotgun on bugs. Meanwhile pretty much all the DMR’s feel pointless.