Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean Bartz is pretty oblivious too.

The most painfully self-aware is probably Squall, who spends like half the game in his own thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ApplesandOranges posted:

The most painfully self-aware is probably Squall, who spends like half the game in his own thoughts.

Squall's doing his best.. 😔

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Squall is the most competent main by far, a dog successfully herding cats

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bartz isn't even the most oblivious person in his own game's party. Sure, he's not as smart as the literal child, but you can level that at every member of that party that isn't the literal child. He's also not really put into any situations that really showcase how oblivious he is, unlike Remake Trilogy Cloud.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im playing FF16 on NG+ and mostly ignoring side stuff for now and the game actually has teeth. If you aren't using healing items you die very fast especially to bosses

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Bartz isn't even the most oblivious person in his own game's party. Sure, he's not as smart as the literal child, but you can level that at every member of that party that isn't the literal child. He's also not really put into any situations that really showcase how oblivious he is, unlike Remake Trilogy Cloud.

Nah Rebirth Cloud kisses Tifa so he is a step above quite a few he’s just also legitimately loving insane.

WaltherFeng posted:

Im playing FF16 on NG+ and mostly ignoring side stuff for now and the game actually has teeth. If you aren't using healing items you die very fast especially to bosses

Yeah stuff at least hits decently hard on Final Fantasy mode, it’s just your movement options and dodge are still so strong compared to what enemies can attack you with it’s really easy to avoid most attacks. I’m glad at least the new patch is buffing a bunch of moves since a lot of stuff completely falls off compared to how hard Zantetsuken spam Diamond Dust and Gigaflare tear through everything

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The most powerful protagonist is Benjamin fight me :colbert:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Kheldarn posted:

The most powerful protagonist is Benjamin fight me :colbert:

it checks out :stare:

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

RevolverDivider posted:

Nah Rebirth Cloud kisses Tifa so he is a step above quite a few he’s just also legitimately loving insane.

I think that happens with whoever you go on the date with so I can only assume Cloud is making out with Barrett or Red on my playthrough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiggy posted:

I think that happens with whoever you go on the date with so I can only assume Cloud is making out with Barrett or Red on my playthrough.

Nope. Cloud explicitly only kisses Tifa. He and Aerith will hold hands and everyone else is platonic.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cleretic posted:

The "literal child" is 14, a year younger than Rikku.

Also her full name is...Krile Mayer Baldesion!?

FF Wiki posted:

Alternate names: Kururu, Girl, Klire Mire Baldesion[2]

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 15, 2024

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

lines posted:

I have really enjoyed Aerith and Tifa in FF7 Rebirth. There's some really nice stuff about their friendship that is implied but not directly stated, not because it doesn't get enough focus (I think we the player do get to see some of it!) but to a degree Cloud is oblivious to it.

And they were roommates.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Mega64 posted:

The "literal child" is 14, a year younger than Rikku.

Also her full name is...Krile Mayer Baldesion!?

It's funny when the FFXIV version of Krile first shows up. Kururu is a perfectly fitting name for a Plainsfolk Lalafell but in the dub, she's like "Yeah, Krile ain't my birth name. I was adopted"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Draga posted:

It's funny when the FFXIV version of Krile first shows up. Kururu is a perfectly fitting name for a Plainsfolk Lalafell but in the dub, she's like "Yeah, Krile ain't my birth name. I was adopted"

"it was an ellis island chopjob"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like that FF7R has Tifa and Aerith become fast friends, almost entirely because they get to more effectively gently caress with Cloud and make him do poo poo for them. Like, the dude is certified insane and broke-brained so it's actually kind of funny that they look at him and they're like "you're going to have to carry our poo poo for us by the way"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Tifa/Aerith friendship is something that's lightly touched on in VII so seeing it expanded proper in Remake is good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Tifa/Aerith friendship is something that's lightly touched on in VII so seeing it expanded proper in Remake is good.

Someone else said you've gotta have the two of them in your party at the same time so if you happen to like one of the other 3 (or 4 if you also got Yuffie) characters more it's easy to miss that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tifa. Swimsuit. Boobs. Jesus.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

long ago the four elements lived together in harmony

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Augus posted:

lol

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

jokes posted:

I like that FF7R has Tifa and Aerith become fast friends, almost entirely because they get to more effectively gently caress with Cloud and make him do poo poo for them. Like, the dude is certified insane and broke-brained so it's actually kind of funny that they look at him and they're like "you're going to have to carry our poo poo for us by the way"

It's kind of sad that they're also both regularly setting "tests" for him, well-intentioned but in the worst possible way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its sad but also great. Those are some of the best scenes in the game.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Augus posted:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Waltzing Along posted:

And I'll form the head.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

I read a developer interview that upon looking back at OG FF7 they realized it appeared like Tifa and Aerith didn't appear like they were friends, which wasn't the intention so they dialed up the friendship a lot in rebirth. It's definitely a high point in the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Looking at FF16 patch notes aside from the various buffs I think the best addition is triggering Bahamut stance now counts as a dodge move so it charges your Megaflare gauge.

This means you don't have to stay passively in Bahamut stance instead you can weave in and out of it and store the gauge until it's full.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 16, 2024

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Looking at FF16 patch notes aside from the various buffs I think the best addition is triggering Bahamut stance now counts as a dodge move so it charges your Megaflare gauge.

This means you don't have to stay passively in Bahamut stance instead you can weave in and out of it and store the gauge until it's full.

I have some reservations about the buff to player attack outside of certain Eikon fights as the game's rather well tuned on time-to-kill right now. Arguably, I feel like Clive needs an attack nerf, not a buff but I suppose if I feel things are dying too fast, I can use a weaker weapon and glamour it.

Heaven's Cloud getting a buff is pretty wild to me, it was already a strong ability.

Looking forward to seeing Leviathan's move set and Ultima's from the look of it?

The actual best change is you can pet Torgal quicker and more often!

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Getting the JRPG-itch after playing FF7 Remake recently and DQ11 a few years ago. I see that I have FF9 in my Steam library, is this a game that is worth playing today? It's the only FF I haven't played from the PSX and PS2-era, but I'd rather not use 10 hours to find out it's not very good. I'm also curious if there is a lot of grinding required to level up to not just die to bosses, or if you get all you need with XP and equipment just from following the story.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People like FF9 a lot, it's just kind of slow. As in, the literal game speed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, very slow, but very cosy vibes. Be a good game to plug away at for an hour or so every other day. Never experienced balance issues with it myself, but you can also use inbuilt booster stuff to circumvent levelling issues and such in modern versions iirc.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF9 is one of those "only with a mod" games because people cannot-- and should not-- deal with such a slow game in TYOOL 2024. Again, this is a purely mechanical speed question, the pacing of the story or something isn't what we're talking about.

It's like playing a pixel remaster game without auto battle and with battle speed turned down and also there are load times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

FF9 is one of those "only with a mod" games because people cannot-- and should not-- deal with such a slow game in TYOOL 2024. Again, this is a purely mechanical speed question, the pacing of the story or something isn't what we're talking about.

It's like playing a pixel remaster game without auto battle and with battle speed turned down and also there are load times.

Any version of FF9 you can buy in 2024 comes with a built-in speed up function.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's weird because I've never felt the 'slowness' of FFIX, like its speed is kind of half its charm for me where you just enjoy the very good music and animations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ImpAtom posted:

Any version of FF9 you can buy in 2024 comes with a built-in speed up function.

I haven't played FF9 in a long time (because I don't like it) so that's good to hear!

It's great, I understand why it's great, I could just give a gently caress about it for some reason.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Also worth nothing that you don't have to worry about the 50hz even slower version in PAL regions now

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Sjonkel posted:

Getting the JRPG-itch after playing FF7 Remake recently and DQ11 a few years ago. I see that I have FF9 in my Steam library, is this a game that is worth playing today? It's the only FF I haven't played from the PSX and PS2-era, but I'd rather not use 10 hours to find out it's not very good. I'm also curious if there is a lot of grinding required to level up to not just die to bosses, or if you get all you need with XP and equipment just from following the story.

just watch an LP

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah just experience a videogame in the worst way possible

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sjonkel posted:

It is not a difficult game by any means, the only time I went grinding was to be a completionist with learning weapon abilities.

It is, as mentioned, slow originally, but the steam version does have speedups and the (IMO must-install) Moguri Mod adds more stuff like shortening the battle transitions etc.

the first couple hours are a little slow, probably comparable to FF8 in that regard?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The speedup in ff12 was absolutely necessary with the amount of bullshit hunts that both started and ended at opposite ends of the map in zones with no nearby fast travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The speedup in ff12 was absolutely necessary with the amount of bullshit hunts that both started and ended at opposite ends of the map in zones with no nearby fast travel.

Also it allows you to beat Yiazmat in 30 minutes!