Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

roomtone posted:

I haven't kept up with Shogun yet because there were two nothing episodes in a row, 5 and 6 i think, which I felt like were just killing time until it was ready to move to the end. I'm sure it'll pick back up when I get back to it in a week or two.

but Fallout had zero episode like this. every single one was good and kept moving.

Those are probably the two strongest episodes of the show, those are the ones where Marikos husband returns and you learn the entire justification for most of their social position and goals along with Anjin having a world shattering readjustment as he realizes hes responsible for killing the gardener because of how frivolous hes been about a foreign people and culture. Those are pretty powerful character episodes that basically inform everything going forward. We also get a better understanding of the power structures of Osaka, the thing the entire show is revolving around in one way or another.

Like I'm very okay with you liking fallout, I've enjoyed the episodes past 3 far more and am getting a feeling like they just flubbed the start of the show as a result of committing to 3 separate plots and putting all resources into the set design of the vault but this is one of those takes that outs you more than the show lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

His Divine Shadow posted:

The john glover commercial, that one always stuck with me. Makes me want to put a Magnavolt sticker on my car.

I’m pretty sure you can get that installed in your car in South Africa

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think that hyper-expensive, and therefore short, eight episode prestige dramas have been around long enough that people are getting used to a lot of brevity, and any time a story slows down and just has some character development it gets dismissed as "pointless filler". I don't think one style of doing things is any better than the other, they're just different. Both can be used effectively and both can be used poorly. It's kind of a shame that longer shows are becoming so rare now though. DS9 had some of the best character arcs I've ever seen and there's just no way any of that could have happened in an 8 or 10 or even 13 episode season.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 16, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

priznat posted:

I’m pretty sure you can get that installed in your car in South Africa

Diplomatic Immunity

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

redshirt posted:

Diplomatic Immunity

it's been revoked!! kerpow

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

kalel posted:

I hate being on call for my job. I have to miss all the cool poo poo Alamo is screening because an automated dashboard might change from a smiley to a frowney and cause the suits to wet their diapers

Have you tried…automating it? :agesilaus:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat this fallout show kinda sucks despite looking pretty good and having good people in it. It has that real amazon vibe to it all, this real writing-for-children vibe where everything is extremely on the nose and the writers want to make sure there's no layers you might not pick up on. Every scene drags on just in case you didn't understand what was going on. It stinks like Foundation, which was an extremely garbage production. I joked that the writing felt so bad Todd Howard must be personally involved, and boy there he is in the credits as a producer. There's just zero subtlety or nuance, and when there is, the show is very quick to remove any subtlety within a minute or two tops just in case you were looking at your phone.

I've only seen the first 3 so far but I'm not sure I have it in me to keep watching.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I got to the second scene, saw Kyle McLachlan, creamed corn, and took it as a message from the universe to go rewatch twin peaks. I won't let you harvest my garmonbozia, bezos

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Go watch the live action Cowboy Bebop for a palate cleanser

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 hours!)

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Am i crazy or does Maximus from Fallout kinda look like Denzel?

he totally does. except when he's talking, then the resemblance disappears completely.

kingcom posted:

Like I'm very okay with you liking fallout, I've enjoyed the episodes past 3 far more and am getting a feeling like they just flubbed the start of the show as a result of committing to 3 separate plots and putting all resources into the set design of the vault but this is one of those takes that outs you more than the show lol

nah, there are several fake cliffhangers in a row where the show fake elevates the stakes only to then continue to do these slow character storylines. and the first time they do it, it's fine because it's new character beats, but then the next episode basically repeats the same beats without revealing anything new or deeper about the people, and not moving the plot forward either. you have repeated scenes, like blackthorne and mariko bickering in front of toranaga. the earthquake, essentially unimportant to the plot but allows them to contrive a climax for an episode which doesn't have one. this is what i mean by spinning wheels.

being contemplative and taking itself seriously isn't a guarantee of quality. i was extremely into the show for the first 4 episodes then found myself getting a little bored all of a sudden and wondered why, and i realised that was why. it's obviously a good show but it's not perfect.

i do have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about miniseries that could've been movies dragging things out, though. cos of the production and consumption context everything wants to be a streaming miniseries but they often don't have enough story to last 10 hours.

fallout did have enough story, more than enough really. it's even somewhat episodic, it's a TV show by design.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 16, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I quite like when shows can vary their episode length a lot. It usually means the show can actually pace each episode better to what story they're trying to tell in it.

Part of the reason broadcast tv was so formulaic is because when you have a set length and ad breaks in between, you already have quite a bit of the episode structure set before anyone even starts writing. Sure you can play around with that but it's still a pretty big restriction.

Did usually keep shows pretty fast-paced for better or for worst.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vim Fuego posted:

Go watch the live action Cowboy Bebop for a palate cleanser

I will not subject myself to the ouch, you motherfucker.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

dr_rat posted:

Part of the reason broadcast tv was so formulaic is because when you have a set length and ad breaks in between, you already have quite a bit of the episode structure set before anyone even starts writing. Sure you can play around with that but it's still a pretty big restriction.

Did usually keep shows pretty fast-paced for better or for worst.

Oh yeah, this. When I want ugly examples of this, I think of AMC shows. The first 5 minutes is "get your popcorn, settle down on the couch" time. It's always 2-3 people having a simple conversation, nothing essential to the plot, while cast names cycle on screen. Every Walking Dead show is like this.

On the contrary, I can still remember how friggin HYPED I was when that Game of Thrones episode started in pitch black, a drunken priest appears and speaks, and then The Hound and Beric Dondarrion have a fight to the death, all in the first 5 minutes.
That kind of momentum doesn't ever happen with commercial-break TV. It's impossible with those confines.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I have an idea for a “Bones” spinoff called Game of Bones

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
why hasnt there been a prestige tv show where every character is a spooky skeleton? why havent there been several? an entire channel for the army of darkness deadites. all skelly all the time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

dreezy posted:

why hasnt there been a prestige tv show where every character is a spooky skeleton? why havent there been several? an entire channel for the army of darkness deadites. all skelly all the time.

wasn't that Bones?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mozi posted:

wasn't that Bones?

That's how it was filmed, but than the studio got cold feet and made them cgi in skin and hair and clothes and everything.

It really sucked cos than the name of the show didn't even make any sense and the show wasn't spooky at all!

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
latest shogun ep owns

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How come no one ever talks about how Data had unconsensual sex with Tasha?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

MarcusSA posted:

because I'm normal

Cassian of Imola fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 16, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Data was also hosed up, so she also had unconsensual sex with him.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Data is not conscious, so therefor can not consent.

Prove me wrong. :colbert:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Data was also hosed up, so she also had unconsensual sex with him.

Negative his didn’t kick in right away he was in full control.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah data has the brain of a child, he was raped by the drunk cat lady

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I’ve been watching tng and I’m on season 2. A couple of questions:

Is rikers beard ever explained?

What exactly is Whoopi’s character? Is she an empath like the other lady or something else?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

she's an el-aurian hth

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sunk Dunk posted:

Riker is a human, male humans are capable of growing hair on their face. While most male humans remove the hair for aesthetic reasons, some allow the hair to grow.

This is all explained in one of the TNG novels.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Data is not conscious, so therefor can not consent.

Prove me wrong. :colbert:

Data is not conscious, and therefor it doesn't matter whether he consents.

You wouldn't ask your vibrator to consent.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sunk Dunk posted:

What exactly is Whoopi’s character? Is she an empath like the other lady or something else?

She's wise and may or may not have some level of magic wizard powers, sometimes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

*Exasperated sigh* Somehow... Neelix is dancing again...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guinan is the ship counselor and drink slinger. She's good at listening. She's not an empath but she has empathy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sunk Dunk posted:

She's an alien that looks human. Her race are called a race of Listeners, which, as far as I can tell, just means they have basic empathy and like to chat with folks. They live for several centuries, and have a strange connection to time and can tell when things are weird. She also has past dealings with Q. None of this is ever really explained further, she's really just there to be a wise counselor but actually good at it since Troi sucks. Also hats.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

get it hilldawg

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

They live for several centuries, and have a strange connection to time and can tell when things are weird. She also has past dealings with Q. None of this is ever really explained further,

Oh god how I wish that were true

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Remember that episode of Voyager where they find a ship full of klingons and they reuse the whole "klingons love rough sex and often need medical treatment afterwards" gag but it's with Neelix this time?

That just popped into my head so I wanted to share.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

That DICK! posted:

get it hilldawg

:lmao:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

We hit this episode in our Voyager tour last night and my wife hated this scene so much that she left the room, unloading everything she hates about Neelix as her voice trailed up the stairs.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 16, 2024

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Squiggle posted:

We hit this scene in our Voyager tour last night and my wife hated it so much that she left the room and went upstairs, her voice fading into the distance while unloading everything she hates about Neelix.

wow, your wife doesn't care for pedophile clown cooks? Sounds like she has some growing up to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i never watched voy but it really seems like the premise of being stranded in the alpha quadrant would have been way way better with ds9's tone and direction and serialized survival story that late 90s upn probably wasnt ready for but i also assume everyone feels this way