Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

zoux posted:

Also shout out to my boy norm, maybe this is just my biases but his look was totally ‘this guys a traitor’, especially with the way he was looking around at the Vault 32 visitors at the wedding I thought he was in on it. Instead he’s a complex character who is smart and perceptive and overcomes his fears and shows great courage. I wonder what decision he made in 31. A true short king.

Also I’ve only played 3 and 4, and a long time ago at that, so I was surprised at how much greenery there was around Filly.

There's really just a ton of misdirection in the show and I think it fits really well with the Fallout universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The biggest mystery box in the Fallout TV show is why is that man so loving tiny?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

(End of Season Spoilers)

I'm still a little confused about what exactly happened because I think you are correct, the show seems to reveal that 32 found out and either got killed or killed each other as a result. But we see 31 has direct communication with both 32 and 33. Which would imply 31 DOESN'T know what happened to 32, because otherwise shouldn't they have given Dad in 33 a heads up? Like "hey 32 knows, don't let them in or they'll tell your people"? Or "32 are all dead, don't go over there or your people will find out the truth."

Instead Dad seems to think the wedding is legitimate, which doesn't really fit with what we later learn. Maybe 32 rioted and killed their overseer before he could talk to 31, so 31+33 genuinely didn't know what's going on?

My only guess is that Moldaver was able to break in to / contact 31 somehow and threaten / bribe them to give up MacLean. could be that MacLean blowing up Shady Sands was not approved by Bud in the first place, seeing as how their plan so far was to wait it out and not necessarily make enemies up top if they think they're doomed anyway. maybe 31 thought she just wanted revenge and didn't know about the cold fusion leak from the enclave and therefore didn't care about MacLean having the code for it

counterfeitsaint posted:

The biggest mystery box in the Fallout TV show is why is that man so loving tiny?

he's a little guy, he fits in to small spaces

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Small Frame perk.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Okay shooting from the hip here:

Lucy:
S5 P5 E5 C7 I6 A6 L7

Max:
S6 P5 E9 C5 I4 A5 L6

E: N/m they apparently already released their "actual" stats in Fallout Shelter.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Regarding needle drops and "sense of place", my wife had these same complaints after watching episode 2 last night. She's fully unacquainted with the game series and any forum memes.

I think there were several scenes in a row of the vault dweller exploring, each with a different old timey track associated with it. One helps set a mood, but three felt oversaturated. Glad to hear it settles down as the show progresses though.

As for sense of place, it might've been the quick sequence of different biomes, and characters seemingly appearing at the same place when the plot needs them to. BoS and Dog Scientist at the same wilderness cave, or BoS appearing in a crucial moment at a shoot out (with no explanation of how he knew to go there). I don't think it needs maps or location title cards, but some dialogue and establishing shots can go a long way. Such as when Lucy gets directions from the crazy homesteader. That scene provided comedy, world building, and established how she went from desert to forest.

Other stray thoughts from episode 2: Michael Emerson is great and should be in more shows. And Michael Rappaport hopefully never gets work again, but it's pleasant seeing him meet a violent end.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Watched the first two episodes and loved it. Maybe a little heavy handed on the music cues, but I did see someone's comment that it lightens up after ep 3. Never played TLOU (but adored the show) and now I really get the jubilation players felt when the show did such a great job of capturing the essence of the game. Crazy to think I've been a fan of this franchise for 25 goddamn years (poo poo I even owned Fallout Tactics) and my childhood self is so, so happy.

It's taken a lot of restraint to not be Leo Pointing At The Screen Meme personified every 5 minutes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

My only guess is that Moldaver was able to break in to / contact 31 somehow and threaten / bribe them to give up MacLean. could be that MacLean blowing up Shady Sands was not approved by Bud in the first place, seeing as how their plan so far was to wait it out and not necessarily make enemies up top if they think they're doomed anyway. maybe 31 thought she just wanted revenge and didn't know about the cold fusion leak from the enclave and therefore didn't care about MacLean having the code for it

Yeah that may be, although I think they say his blowing up Shady Sands was in service of Vault-Tec as well as revenge, since they wanted to stomp out competition. New civilization blooming outside of Vault-Tec control was a threat to their plan.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

zoux posted:

Oh also I want to play FNV so I too can be enraged by canon desecration, is the Ultimate Edition gonna give me a satisfactory 2024 gaming experience? Any must have mods?

use viva new vegas or a lore friendly wabbajack playlist.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

thunderspanks posted:

Watched the first two episodes and loved it. Maybe a little heavy handed on the music cues, but I did see someone's comment that it lightens up after ep 3. Never played TLOU (but adored the show) and now I really get the jubilation players felt when the show did such a great job of capturing the essence of the game. Crazy to think I've been a fan of this franchise for 25 goddamn years (poo poo I even owned Fallout Tactics) and my childhood self is so, so happy.

It's taken a lot of restraint to not be Leo Pointing At The Screen Meme personified every 5 minutes.

100%. I also really appreciate how the show keeps things fresh even for fans of the games. Like with Vault 4, you KNOW that Vault where everything seems fine is actually really hosed up. And it kind of is, but not in the way you'd expect.

I also have to give the show props for surprising me with the Vault 31 reveal. I knew something was up with it, but I thought maybe it was the Enclave base or something. Did not at all predict "Unfrozen Vault-Tec Middle Management". It rules.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah that may be, although I think they say his blowing up Shady Sands was in service of Vault-Tec as well as revenge, since they wanted to stomp out competition. New civilization blooming outside of Vault-Tec control was a threat to their plan.

he could have been bullshitting to appeal to Lucy's loyalty to vault-tec. He wasn't banking on her knowing more about the NCR or having seen some hosed up vault poo poo first hand.

Moldaver in general doesn't seem too cool. It's not clear if she was actually an official in the NCR, or just a prominent citizen of Shady Sands. She does have a creepy rear end cult dedicated to her, rolled with rear end in a top hat raiders, and kept a chained up ghoul at her dinner table. Hell, she is basically just a fuckin raider lord who I would totally shoot dead in the games

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

They might've killed Moldaver too early. There's still a lot of juice left in the story around her and now if they choose to fill it in via flashbacks or exposition, it's going to feel a lot less pertinent. I wouldn't mind if it was just some random mob boss/cult leader who was built up and then dispatched, but she's personally connected with Lucy, the Ghoul, Hank, Rose, and Vault-Tec in a big way that did not get fully explored.

It's not a huge loss for the show cos there are plenty of other avenues of interest, I just think it's weird they decided to kill her.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

roomtone posted:

They might've killed Moldaver too early. There's still a lot of juice left in the story around her and now if they choose to fill it in via flashbacks or exposition, it's going to feel a lot less pertinent. I wouldn't mind if it was just some random mob boss/cult leader who was built up and then dispatched, but she's personally connected with Lucy, the Ghoul, Hank, Rose, and Vault-Tec in a big way that did not get fully explored.

It's not a huge loss for the show cos there are plenty of other avenues of interest, I just think it's weird they decided to kill her.

Gary? Gary! Garrry?! Gaary?

E: this would also conveniently answer the question of longevity.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 16, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The way moldaver is portrayed in the show makes her seem like she is just one of those dime-a-dozen cults that pop up in any given fallout game. Its just that she had an actual tangible goal instead of being a hubologist spinning really fast in an amusement park ride.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

The best was Max not knowing was sex was

Although it was kind of funny, it was also a little weird because the BoS aspirants definitely included women, although they only showed up in the background IIRC, so straight, gay, or bi I don't see a particularly good reason for these teenagers to not know what sex is. If they can have an rear end-kicking session out of view of the leadership, surely it's possible to hook up. Also one guy was definitely jerking off in the dorm in ep 1.

Sharkopath posted:

I think a problem for creating a cohesive sense of space and location is the reality of wanting to film in ruins that fit the scenes means the actual locations are all over the world. There's a bit of shooting in California but a large portion of the desert wastes are an abandoned mine in Namibia, the colder semi urban ruins are in New York, etc.

Speaking of that, I'm pretty sure the building the lead farmers were working near is visible in the background of the shots of Vault 4's entrance. It's a weirdly tall and narrow structure that jumped out at me.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I can't find it but someone posted about how the show is bad in doing that thing where we learn every one of the characters including the seemingly inconsequential ones are in fact the ones the entire world revolves around and has all along.

I did notice this but what helps me is remembering what someone told me about the storylteller's perspective. The Ghoul doesn't end up being Howard by chance we follow him because he is Howard. The same for Lucy, why we follow her and not one of dozens of other vault dwellets who undertook a quest like this. And Maximus doesn't defy the odds to become who he does he did and that's why we follow him.

It is of course unlikely that all these people know each and other and meet but that's been a problem for storytelling for millenia. Ancient human stories mixed up legendary, semi-legebdary, and real people who lived in different centuries just to add flavour.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Events and personages coincide for implausible Story Reasons" is always going to be a subjective criticism because it's true to some degree in every story.

I would be on the side of people who think to whatever degree it's conspicuous here, it's because it's a self-aware video game adaptation that on the balance doesn't take itself too seriously and isn't worth worrying about.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Bright Bart posted:

I did notice this but what helps me is remembering what someone told me about the storylteller's perspective. The Ghoul doesn't end up being Howard by chance we follow him because he is Howard. The same for Lucy, why we follow her and not one of dozens of other vault dwellets who undertook a quest like this. And Maximus doesn't defy the odds to become who he does he did and that's why we follow him.

You gotta figure, especially with the BoS in expansion mode, that there are loads of dead orphans in shredded BoS kit out there

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

it's not even implausible. there aren't that many people left, vault-tec are the single most important entity in the world and will have their hands in everything, all of these people lived in the same area before/after the bombs fell and have unfinished business with each other and the same current objective...people are going to interact. we're following max because he's the BoS guy who meets lucy, we don't follow some soldier who does nothing of note and isn't relevant.

what's the alternative, a version of the story where while all of lucy's stuff is going down, the ghoul by chance is in boston dealing with something unrelated and never gets resolution on his history? we skip over 200 years of that stuff for a reason. it's a story. we don't have infinite time to portray the random and pointless nature of reality.

it isn't even like they tie every single side character, and there are lots, is tied into the central plotline. some are tangentially connected logically, some have their own thing going on entirely.

it's just a weird complaint. oh great, this main character is doing something related to another main character. this world is so tiny.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 16, 2024

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Imo the way 32 stuff went down is that the vault 32 dwellers find out the truth about the experiment and revolt against the overseer, causing a civil war that ends up killing them all. months/years later, moldaver uses rose's old pipboy to gain access to vault 32, finds everyone already dead, and begins communicating with vault 33 as the new overseer, however many weeks/months pass and the show begins

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 16, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Imo the way 32 stuff went down is that the vault 32 dwellers find out the truth about the experience and revolt against the overseer, causing a civil war that ends up killing them all. years later, moldaver uses rose's old pipboy to gain access to vault 32, finds everyone already dead, and begins communicating with vault 33 as the new overseer, however many weeks/months pass and the show begins

yeah that would be simpler than Moldaver threatening 31. One would think 31 could monitor 32 and 33 all the time, but apparently Bud didn't even know it wasn't Betty coming to meet him

also he has been a brain in a jar for up to 200 years and said he never sleeps so maybe he isn't so competent anymore

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah that would be simpler than Moldaver threatening 31. One would think 31 could monitor 32 and 33 all the time, but apparently Bud didn't even know it wasn't Betty coming to meet him

also he has been a brain in a jar for up to 200 years and said he never sleeps so maybe he isn't so competent anymore

Given his condition I think he's probably not the actual power on the throne and we'll find out Bud's thing is just at the behest of someone father up the food chain. If I was going to be a brain in a jar I'd at least want some appendages and, critically, some robot servants to boss around.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Imo the way 32 stuff went down is that the vault 32 dwellers find out the truth about the experiment and revolt against the overseer, causing a civil war that ends up killing them all. months/years later, moldaver uses rose's old pipboy to gain access to vault 32, finds everyone already dead, and begins communicating with vault 33 as the new overseer, however many weeks/months pass and the show begins

Continuing the proud Fallout tradition of living in a space for an extended period without bothering to do a single thing about all the loving skeletons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Bud got tricked into doing the robo brain thing. He was doing Bud's buds, an executive liked it and then told him he should bring that into the vault by becoming a robo brain and overseeing it. I don't know why anyone would voluntarily become a brain robot for eternity. Or maybe he didn't know he'd be a robot and they just did it to him.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm still just really curious as to how all the exchanges between 31 and 33 went when everyone in 31 is in cryo. Did Hank just show up alone?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BrotherJayne posted:

You gotta figure, especially with the BoS in expansion mode, that there are loads of dead orphans in shredded BoS kit out there

The BOS doesn't even need to be in expansion mode to get their members killed doing stupid exploratory missions. One quest in New Vegas has you tracking down missing BOS patrols and the geniuses got themselves eaten by Mutants, blown up by artillery fanatics or just had a roof cave in on them.

roomtone posted:

it's not even implausible. there aren't that many people left, vault-tec are the single most important entity in the world and will have their hands in everything, all of these people lived in the same area before/after the bombs fell and have unfinished business with each other and the same current objective...people are going to interact.

Just of note, there's actually quite a few people left around. Millions, potentially. Just a few decades before the show there were over 700,000 people living in California alone, and that's just estimates of people within the NCR.

It's just that the LA Boneyard is inhospitable at the best of times.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 16, 2024

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I played FNV and F4 over the past few years so I’m aware of the backstory and lore. My wife have never heard or seen of Fallout before ep 1. We both really liked it!

My thoughts: Shady Sands I don’t really care about the timeline being goofed up. I do miss the NCR though.

Moldaver isn’t a ghoul because she bleeds out so I guess she was cryo frozen, probably stole a seat in 31. I’m guessing we’ll get more Ghoulggins backstory in season 2 for how he goes from girl and horse to solo wanderer

The BoS not knowing about sex seems normal for fascists. Starship Troopers touches on that topic with its shower scene. You can shame and program people to ignore being horny.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

AmbientParadox posted:

Moldaver isn’t a ghoul because she bleeds out so I guess she was cryo frozen, probably stole a seat in 31. I’m guessing we’ll get more Ghoulggins backstory in season 2 for how he goes from girl and horse to solo wanderer

Moldaver's company got bought out by Vault-tec, it's totally possible she still had an executive seat and they let her in through the front door

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

The BoS not knowing about sex seems normal for fascists. Starship Troopers touches on that topic with its shower scene. You can shame and program people to ignore being horny.

Starship Troopers also has two of the characters who were in that shower scene gently caress later in the movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

I think Bud got tricked into doing the robo brain thing. He was doing Bud's buds, an executive liked it and then told him he should bring that into the vault by becoming a robo brain and overseeing it. I don't know why anyone would voluntarily become a brain robot for eternity. Or maybe he didn't know he'd be a robot and they just did it to him.

There is a shot in the meeting where Barb looks up and sees someone in the shadows watching, and then she does her whole "to win capitalism we'll kill everyone" speech, and thats the one that was behind whats going on in the 31-33 system. Though it might be true that 32 and 33 are intended to operate as intended, keep people safe but form a society that was lead to by the Vault Tec execs and molded to how they wanted people to be like. There isn't anything more sinister than that, but it being Vault Tec, its already sinister.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Both the clean up and the exchanges could be explained by thawing out a few Buds for a single day at a time. Given the way the husband sale went, there's a highly ritualized way you just kind of meet up formation in the junctures, there's not a lot of regular visiting. The show kind of indicates that outsourcing a husband for Lucy was a very special occasion.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Based on the way people had died I'm pretty sure they were gassed or something. Given the nature of the experiment there is almost certainly an abort system involved that just kills everyone in the vault. People being mid-violence in all those scenarios suggests they all died during the main aggression. How does someone still have their hands on the throat otherwise, if they were shot or meleed they'd likely slumped over.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Rubellavator posted:

I'm still just really curious as to how all the exchanges between 31 and 33 went when everyone in 31 is in cryo. Did Hank just show up alone?

Betty likely came over with Hank, since they are around the same age at the time of the show. Steph has only been in 33 for about a year, since she came over as a marriage trade (as did Hank) and immediately got pregnant. Since everyone in the pods is in on it, they could just rotate out people as escorts for the trades, and the food is put into storage to feed these people before they go back in the pods.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Faucet Drinker posted:

Based on the way people had died I'm pretty sure they were gassed or something. Given the nature of the experiment there is almost certainly an abort system involved that just kills everyone in the vault. People being mid-violence in all those scenarios suggests they all died during the main aggression. How does someone still have their hands on the throat otherwise, if they were shot or meleed they'd likely slumped over.

This is the question asked of every skeleton in a Bethesda Game.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Faucet Drinker posted:

Possibly. But remember that Fallout as a series has a long tradition of skeletons found in media res even after 200 years sitting out in the wastelands so it could just be homage to that, too. I'm sure we'll learn more in season 2 though.

e: Just bumping around in the last episode and Hank was unfrozen on August 9, 2268.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 16, 2024

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah, it seems like Vault 31 doesn't have any surveillance over the others. Which seems like a strange decision to make by Vault-Tec, but that's true of most of their decisions.

One thing I think Fallout does really well as a franchise is having this goofy setting and aesthetic that really makes no sense, but selling it to you with real stakes and pathos to keep you onboard. I think the show succeeds at this, it's not serious but it takes itself seriously. Or maybe it's the other way around.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Just for fun here's what the computer readout at the end of episode 8 says:

Reactivated
Patricia Peters
Alexander Boamer
Laurence Ronald
Ian Jackson
Betty Pearson
Hank MacLean
Stephanie Harper

Dormant
Elmer Green
Chase Powell
Joan Polansky
Thomas Hamilton
Victoria Alexander
Chloe Glass
Kathryn Cep
Christyn Mari
Francesca Mahajan
Casey Schulz
Arthur Wormeley
March Sherwood
Maximillian Dottino
Tatyana Lee
Claire Feldman
Archibald Sachs
Joanne Wormwood
Joseph Moerder

However the number of people "reactivated" is less than the number of empty cryotubes that are show in the wide shots (I count at least 10 empties) so either there were some extra tubes or some people weren't accounted for in the log or it's just a production oversight, which happens a lot even when shows pay attention to those details!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Just for fun here's what the computer readout at the end of episode 8 says:

Reactivated
Patricia Peters
Alexander Boamer
Laurence Ronald
Ian Jackson
Betty Pearson
Hank MacLean
Stephanie Harper

Dormant
Elmer Green
Chase Powell
Joan Polansky
Thomas Hamilton
Victoria Alexander
Chloe Glass
Kathryn Cep
Christyn Mari
Francesca Mahajan
Casey Schulz
Arthur Wormeley
March Sherwood
Maximillian Dottino
Tatyana Lee
Claire Feldman
Archibald Sachs
Joanne Wormwood
Joseph Moerder

However the number of people "reactivated" is less than the number of empty cryotubes that are show in the wide shots (I count at least 10 empties) so either there were some extra tubes or some people weren't accounted for in the log or it's just a production oversight, which happens a lot even when shows pay attention to those details!

Yeah, if every overseer is from Vault 31 it would have to be more, to cover 200 years in two separate vaults.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Regarding the trade between 33 and 31 for husbands and wives, I wonder what 33 was giving in return. The trade aspect of it is clearly important to the culture/mission statement of 32/33.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“All these disparate people just happened to meet up and things conveniently happened to make that possible” is, like, the weirdest complaint because yes that is how plots and stories happen, people meeting and doing things.