Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Taear posted:

No I know I'm not making any comment on the quality of the shows just kinda pushing back against the idea that SNW is wildly successful.
We like it here but that doesn't mean it's struck big or anything. As I say, there's really no way to know other than vague metrics from places

Yes. One metric was also "are 3rd parties willing to pay whatever you ask for rights to this show" but that died when new Star Trek went Parasite+-exclusive.

And it never worked with Prime or Netflix shows as an indicator because they never seem to sell anything from their catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
SNW and Picard kept ranking on the Nielsen streaming top ten during their last seasons. That's what's always given me the impression that SNW is the Star Trek flagship, and have a sense that its probably the most safe of anything, even if they kill it all. But who knows.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They go on field trips!

Their class could actually be a ship like some kind of magic school bus

Tilly has the same hair as Ms Frizzle, don’t forget!

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Der Kyhe posted:

We will end up with the Starfleet academy show in the 32nd century, for either which no-one seems to particularly care for, as the flagship.

Star Trek, but its on Earth and they don't visit new places.

Star Trek: Toronto

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Star Trek: Toronto

Go for the SG-1 approach where some of the trees in the patch of forest they always used had to register for the SAG membership.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes. One metric was also "are 3rd parties willing to pay whatever you ask for rights to this show" but that died when new Star Trek went Parasite+-exclusive.

Now the metric is "does it seem like this can singlehandedly force mass quantities of people to subscribe to Paramount+" and who cares if that's an impossible ask.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Who wouldn't want to subscribe to a service where they keep cancelling shows and/or removing them entirely from their service?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Boxturret posted:

Who wouldn't want to subscribe to a service where they keep cancelling shows and/or removing them entirely from their service?

Admittedly this all the streamers post-2019 or so.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Wasn’t that because Nielsen didn’t start tracking streaming services before Picard Season 3?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The story says that they started tracking P+ just that year, so yeah, it wouldn't count Disco etc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khanstant posted:

I'd be excited if they just bowled over TOS and started remaking it in line with SNW. Very few new people are ever going to watch TOS. The scripts are already written, it has a ton of the IP executives crave, and for most folks Captain Kirk is just a funny way of talking.

Many of the scripts are real weird though.

There are a bunch of studio backlot alternate earths that are never explained, because scifi didn't explain poo poo in the 60s. Sometimes it's cultural contamination like the nazi planet and the gangster planet, but other times humans just apparently evolved on another planet that happens to have the same continents as Earth. In one case in exactly the same way right up until the 20th century where they had americans and communists nuke themselves back to the stone age. The americans had an identical constitution to our americans!

Not explaining that poo poo would make modern audience confused and unhappy. Explaining it would make long-time fans mad as hell (because the explanation would be stupid). And there are so many. They could have a season or multi-season arc investigating all these dang alternate Earths filled with alternate humans trying to figure out who made them and why. Are they popped in from alternate dimensions? Was a godlike being playing with the clone tool back in the day? Was it the dang progenitors somehow?

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 15, 2024

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Facebook Aunt posted:

There are a bunch of studio backlot alternate earths that are never explained, because scifi didn't explain poo poo in the 60s. Sometimes it's cultural contamination like the nazi planet and the gangster planet, but other times humans just apparently evolved on another planet that happens to have the same continents as Earth. In one case in exactly the same way right up until the 20th century where they had americans and communists nuke themselves back to the stone age. The americans had an identical constitution to our americans!

Not explaining that poo poo would make modern audience confused and unhappy. Explaining it would make long-time fans mad as hell (because the explanation would be stupid). And there are so many. They could have a season or multi-season arc investigating all these dang alternate Earths filled with alternate humans trying to figure out who made them and why. Are they popped in from alternate dimensions? Was a godlike being playing with the clone tool back in the day? Was it the dang progenitors somehow?

If there were a backdoor TOS remake via SNW, I'm sure they'd just skim the best 10 episodes off the top of the heap and adapt those instead of trying to figure out how to make The Omega Glory or Spectre of the Gun or Turnabout Intruder work in 202X

I think SNW could absolutely nail an adaptation of Spock's Brain, though

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Der Kyhe posted:

We will end up with the Starfleet academy show in the 32nd century, for either which no-one seems to particularly care for, as the flagship.

Star Trek, but its on Earth and they don't visit new places.

Every moral conflict of the week is solved for they are now a de-materialized hologram

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The writers of Disco seriously need to be banned from being allowed to use the word 'connection'

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think this would be a funny and good show as a separate IP fwiw

get a good writing team of "what if" nerds to do it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

There are a bunch of studio backlot alternate earths that are never explained, because scifi didn't explain poo poo in the 60s.

:wrong:

Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development.

(what do you mean that doesn't actually explain anything)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 16, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

corona familiar posted:

I think this would be a funny and good show as a separate IP fwiw

get a good writing team of "what if" nerds to do it

Another holodeck film episode for Lower Decks where the computer spits out the aliens having their own exact copy of the US Constitution and Boimler flips a table.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Stone Age > Bronze Age > Iron Age > US Constitution Age > Nuclear Age > Warp Age

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I'm not sure i'm bothering with Discovery this season, is the captain still being a one person army?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'm not sure i'm bothering with Discovery this season, is the captain still being a one person army?

Combat/action scenes by protagonists participating:

• Episode 1: Burnham, Rhys and Owosekun vs. two guys; Burnham, Book and Rayner vs. two guys and a landslide
  • Episode 2: Burnham and Saru vs. a bunch of drones
  • Episode 3: Burnham and Book vs. two monsters

She's still involved in every action scene but she's not single-handedly winning fights against massive odds or anything

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

The Chairman posted:

Combat/action scenes by protagonists participating:

• Episode 1: Burnham, Rhys and Owosekun vs. two guys; Burnham, Book and Rayner vs. two guys and a landslide
  • Episode 2: Burnham and Saru vs. a bunch of drones
  • Episode 3: Burnham and Book vs. two monsters

She's still involved in every action scene but she's not single-handedly winning fights against massive odds or anything

Close enough, i'll skip it. Pike rules, i'll wait for his adventures.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Definitely still some Prestige Plot Armor going on. I laughed when Moll and L'akk got disarmed by those guards then just punched them to death after anyway.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Clouseau posted:

SNW and Picard kept ranking on the Nielsen streaming top ten during their last seasons. That's what's always given me the impression that SNW is the Star Trek flagship, and have a sense that its probably the most safe of anything, even if they kill it all. But who knows.

That's only in the US though
Also honestly it's STILL very hard to tell what actual volume of viewers that equates to. loving mental that the new futurama surpasses it though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's a Lincoln Lawyer TV series? :psyduck:

Is... is Matthew McConaughey in it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

There's a Lincoln Lawyer TV series? :psyduck:

Is... is Matthew McConaughey in it?

What does your heart tell you?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, but all his scenes are filmed entirely by Bowfingering him in?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

The_Doctor posted:

To have faith.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Has Sybok ever been mentioned in the shows?

I know most are happy to forget he existed but if used right, there is potential there.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Last Call posted:

I know most are happy to forget he existed but if used right, there is potential there.

He was referenced and kinda had a 5 second appearance in SNW, at the end of The Serene Squall

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

The Last Call posted:

Yes, in SNW. There's even a shot of him from behind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A themme fatale named Captain Angel takes over the Enterprise to attempt to use Spock as leverage to have his betrothed set free their romantic partner, the currently incarcerated Sybok, in exchange for Spock and the enterprise crews lives.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hope we get some Sybok in the next couple seasons, would also be a cool way to have Jolene Blalock back as T'Pol and would fit her character's past as a Vulcan fugitive hunting expert.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I’ve always thought Sybok was the best Trek movie adversary, and even one of the best in movies because of his goal, achievement of that goal, and the way he had followers. It was nice to see the Jesus-type character portrayed as a villain in that way. Could the movie have been better? Of course. I love cheese and camp and that kind of thing, anyways, as well.

I just hope they don’t take away his jovial nature when they do him in SNW, but I am excited for possibilities. Sybok is the coolest Vulcan.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I don't remember the movie well, but wouldn't it be weird for people like Ohura to not already know about Spock's brother if they do more than a vague reference in SNW?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't remember the movie well, but wouldn't it be weird for people like Ohura to not already know about Spock's brother if they do more than a vague reference in SNW?

They've already explicitly shown with the Khan stuff that they aren't making every minute detail consistent with older material, so if anything it would just be that more people know about Sybok in this version.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Super Deuce posted:

I’ve always thought Sybok was the best Trek movie adversary, and even one of the best in movies because of his goal, achievement of that goal, and the way he had followers. It was nice to see the Jesus-type character portrayed as a villain in that way. Could the movie have been better? Of course. I love cheese and camp and that kind of thing, anyways, as well.

I just hope they don’t take away his jovial nature when they do him in SNW, but I am excited for possibilities. Sybok is the coolest Vulcan.

Sybok was an excellent example of an adversary that isn't a) a cartoon villain, b) not a galaxy-ending threat, but c) also high-stakes for the antagonists themselves.

Really, that was the magic of all of the original Trek movies; they were local. At most, a specific world was threatened, or a more nebulous concept like 'galactic peace' was threatened.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nah. They can have Sybok, they can even have Spock interact with Sybok, then just keep it to himself.

"Spock, what happened down there?"

"A...personal matter, Captain. One I prefer not to speak of. I found it quite....troubling."

"Very well, Spock. Look, if you ever do want to talk about it......"

"Thank you, Captain. I shall bear that in mind. With your permission?"

"Return to your station, Mr. Spock."

Then, thirty or forty years later, Kirk, who wasn't even on the Enterprise at the time, finds out about Sybok, it's news to him, and what's Uhura going to do, just chime in 'Oh, hey, I remember that guy?' The plot point is that *Kirk* didn't know about him, and that's really the important part.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 16, 2024

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I love my partner. We've been texting back and forth about Star Trek all day and are currently trying to figure out how the Federation kept itself from creating a Grand Army of the Republic after the Borg and Dominion wars in short succession. The post-Dominion War version of the Federation we see in Picard has some ominously "Old Republic, just prior to the dissolution of the Senate and the declaration of Empire" vibes, and lord knows the hawks would have the upper hand in that political environment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You would think that the post-Dominion War era would be more peaceful, since everyone had to spend a couple of years throwing every ship they had at the nearly endless Dominion war machine.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

You would think that the post-Dominion War era would be more peaceful, since everyone had to spend a couple of years throwing every ship they had at the nearly endless Dominion war machine.

"We lost millions of people in our war with the Dominion! You want us to ramp down our military production? And put the entire Federation at risk while our defensive capabilities are at their weakest? We need to double-down on shipbuilding and military training if we're to defend our worlds from those who might take advantage of our current vulnerabilities! Doing this will prevent another war!"

etc etc

now I want the post-war Star Trek political intrigue show. make it happen Terry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Preordered the bluray for Lower Decks season 4 and it arrived today. Pleasantly surprised to see that they have commentary for five out of the ten episodes, I think it was like 2-3 per season before. Robert Duncan McNeill is in the 4x10 commentary, too.

edit: Oh, hey, and a video interview with Shannon Fill, actor for Sito Jaxa!

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 17, 2024