Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm generally in favor of weekly, as I said before, but just to play devils advocate, show discussions can start interesting, but tend to devolve into one of two things, either it becomes a million monkeys with a million typewriters dreaming up every possible scenario and then patting themselves on the back for predicting the ending when one of their millions of predictions inevitably turns out to be correct, or a week long argument of the most mundane background thing, or offhand comment or some other insignificant part of an episode.

I think having somebody to watch with that you can discuss the show with who is at the exact same place you are all the way through probably helps with binging as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

It’s a lot easier for some people to carve out a block of time to watch something rather than pick up an episode here or there as they become available.

That's genuinely interesting -- I would have thought it was the exact opposite.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Edit: whoops a whole page happened between when I wrote this and actually sent it

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I've never gotten around to playing them, only knowing the stuff that has seeped into general gaming culture, and I'm enjoying the hell out of the series (I have three episodes left.)

I have to say though that this series has brought out all the weekly release trolls. About every online discourse is complaining about the drop of all episodes at once and is begging Amazon to do weekly releases. What in the actual hell? If you want to watch it weekly, watch it weekly. I, for one, don't really feel like paying Amazon more than I have to, so getting them all at once is a boon.

Pretty common sentiment and binge watchers can always do their thing after all episodes out, whereas people who want weekly releases cannot have their way of all EPS are dumped at once.

People aren't asking for weekly releases because they can't handle watching more than one episode at a time or just want to wait or some goofy poo poo. They want weekly releases so that there can be some social element to watching, discussing, anticipating what happens this week and what will happen the next. Especially today when nobody has a water cooler to chat about and nobody has the same poo poo to watch things on if they were, there is value in being able to consume and digest art with others in sync with you.

When episodes are dumped all at once, some folks will watch all immediately and others will watch when they have free time, which is rarely 10 hours in a row to watch TV. And if both ever catch-up, the ones who binged through it ages ago both probably aren't as interested in discussing it anymore or it's lost relevancy.

Discussion sucks for episode dumped shows, everyone on different pages, pointless to speculate together when the answers are already out and people know and Google searches or click bait headlines spoil endings or character developments.

You're evidently willing to pay Amazon more than you have to since you could go plenty of ad-free free streaming sites.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

counterfeitsaint posted:

but just to play devils advocate, show discussions can start interesting, but tend to devolve into one of two things, either it becomes a million monkeys with a million typewriters dreaming up every possible scenario and then patting themselves on the back for predicting the ending when one of their millions of predictions inevitably turns out to be correct, or a week long argument of the most mundane background thing, or offhand comment or some other insignificant part of an episode..

That about sums up my feelings on the matter and why I’m looking for a more concentrated release schedule. The tedium of theory crafting and hyperfocus on mundane details that no one on the show in question probably gave more than half a second’s thought about would just tend to burn me out on the show so I stopped participating. It doesn’t feel like there’s enough content in a single episode to fill up a week’s worth of discussion so the discussion tends to spiral. Some enjoy it and more power to them, I felt like it was detracting from my enjoyment of a show so I cut it.

It was that and negativity. I don’t mean specific criticisms of a show with actual arguments and example, just the general “the writing is lazy this season”, “the first two seasons were good, but this 3rd season has been a letdown”. It’s draining. I’m generally watching something because I, you know, enjoy it and I’m certainly not saying stuff is immune from criticism because of it. I just got tired of the general background hum of unspecific negatively because someone else is realizing that they don’t enjoy a show anymore and haven’t had the realization to hit the eject button.

So yes, I tend to shun online discussion of shows now rather than more general topics and that does mean I place less value on a spaced out release.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I think shows should be released like Twitch streams with live chat functionality. I miss live posting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While binge releasing is nice to let you watch at your own pace it does lead to problems where entertainment sites start posting spoilers after like a week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's genuinely interesting -- I would have thought it was the exact opposite.

My friends with 3 kids have to take time as it’s presented to them. They can go weeks without watching much of anything since kid activities, household stuff, and general exhaustion means no spare time.

Then out of the blue and on short notice, grandma will take the kids for the afternoon and they have this golden block of 5 hours that they can do with as they wish. Sometimes that means sitting down and binging a season of TV and I can think of more than one occasion where they told me that they didn’t choose something to watch because it wasn’t done yet so they didn’t want to stop in the middle and have to wait another month or so to finish.

I know my sister and bother and law had big constraints on time for certain stuff because they didn’t want to watch it while the kids were up. Other friends (husband and wife) don’t always agree on what to watch which is fine, but it means that they tend to trade off who’s watching what when depending on what the other is doing.

That just seems to be where people are now. Even when stuff is released weekly, no one seems to be watching anything on a particular schedule.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SimonChris posted:

I think shows should be released like Twitch streams with live chat functionality. I miss live posting.

I miss the HOLKYFUCK days of BSG and Heroes posting here. But that's more nostalgia for getting to watch shows the moment they go live.

bull3964 posted:

My friends with 3 kids have to take time as it’s presented to them. They can go weeks without watching much of anything since kid activities, household stuff, and general exhaustion means no spare time.

Then out of the blue and on short notice, grandma will take the kids for the afternoon and they have this golden block of 5 hours that they can do with as they wish. Sometimes that means sitting down and binging a season of TV and I can think of more than one occasion where they told me that they didn’t choose something to watch because it wasn’t done yet so they didn’t want to stop in the middle and have to wait another month or so to finish.

I know my sister and bother and law had big constraints on time for certain stuff because they didn’t want to watch it while the kids were up. Other friends (husband and wife) don’t always agree on what to watch which is fine, but it means that they tend to trade off who’s watching what when depending on what the other is doing.

That just seems to be where people are now. Even when stuff is released weekly, no one seems to be watching anything on a particular schedule.

I'm a single parent and, among my parent friend group, this isn't generally where we're at. We can find an hour or two, here and there, each week no problem for a show or two. But 8-10 hours in a week for a new show when it drops is way more difficult.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 16, 2024

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Sopranos Sunday posting was a TVIV high water mark, imo. Just the best discussion every week

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Haven't Andor and HotD proven that SFF shows are best aired weekly? Both of those got huge amounts of momentum from word of mouth to get on their hype trains.

I'm really bitter because my wife wanted to watch Fallout with me, but we have much different work schedules. So many threads are spoiler minefields right now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Seriously. If for nothing else than when new stuff premieres, turns it into a little event, already watch movies and shows on Discord with folks just because it's more fun if someone else is 'you seeing this poo poo' with you.

Plus it's entirely optional for people who want nothing to do with any of that.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Friend of mine just started watching Dexter. I've never seen it and I know the later seasons are absolute horrible garbage, but from what I hear 1 2 and 4 are decent TV seasons?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

Friend of mine just started watching Dexter. I've never seen it and I know the later seasons are absolute horrible garbage, but from what I hear 1 2 and 4 are decent TV seasons?

Yeah pretty much.

The end to the second is pretty much when the show lets you know it's gonna struggle with itself a whole bunch and it never really recovers from that, but it's still solid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Andor got word of mouth and hype because it was good.

Also, let's not forget that they released 25% of the season at once.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RevolverDivider posted:

Dexter is a fantastic 4 season show that unfortunately ran for 7 seasons (eventually 8 when you count the revival). Season 3 isn't as good as 1, 2, and 4, but is pretty great compared to the later seasons. Season 4 also ends on a perfect "final episode", if you want to stop there. I'm serious, it's a pitch perfect series finale (to the point where I'm positive that's what they intended in case they were canceled), no reason to keep going. Which is helped by every season after that getting worse and worse.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

thrawn527 posted:

Season 3 isn't as good as 1, 2, and 4, but is pretty great compared to the later seasons.

*Circles Black SUV*

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Dexter is a fantastic 4 season show that unfortunately ran for 7 seasons (eventually 8 when you count the revival). Season 3 isn't as good as 1, 2, and 4, but is pretty great compared to the later seasons. Season 4 also ends on a perfect "final episode", if you want to stop there. I'm serious, it's a pitch perfect series finale (to the point where I'm positive that's what they intended in case they were canceled), no reason to keep going. Which is helped by every season after that getting worse and worse.

I think it's a fine act break, but I think it's halfway or 3/4 of the way through a good arc for the show. Which is obviously not the show we got.

(full show spoilers)

I think that Dexter should ultimately be the story of a man succumbing to murderous psychosis -- I'm not a fan of the friendly neighbourhood serial killer approach they ended up taking. So the collapse of his dream should precipitate the full collapse of his entire life, which would be the end of the show. It would also, you know, finally provide more useful purpose to most of the police plots.

The addendum season isn't bad, though I also only just remembered it exists. It's got some strong concepts (Deb, most notably) though I think it pulls its punches in a few important places (I remember the arc with the mentally ill schoolkid not being handled very well, and the podcaster subplot ends very... conveniently and has some of the weird bogus material the parent series had. But it's solid.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
At least they didn't go the book route and have him be possessed by an ancient demonic spirit

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Medullah posted:

*Circles Black SUV*

CHICKY HINES! (I didn't even need to look that name up.)

I think it's a fine act break, but I think it's halfway or 3/4 of the way through a good arc for the show. Which is obviously not the show we got.

(full show spoilers)

I think that Dexter should ultimately be the story of a man succumbing to murderous psychosis -- I'm not a fan of the friendly neighbourhood serial killer approach they ended up taking. So the collapse of his dream should precipitate the full collapse of his entire life, which would be the end of the show. It would also, you know, finally provide more useful purpose to most of the police plots.

The addendum season isn't bad, though I also only just remembered it exists. It's got some strong concepts (Deb, most notably) though I think it pulls its punches in a few important places (I remember the arc with the mentally ill schoolkid not being handled very well, and the podcaster subplot ends very... conveniently and has some of the weird bogus material the parent series had. But it's solid.

Also full show spoilers.

I like that season 4 ends with the destruction of what was beautiful in his life (Rita) due to his misdeeds, and his son being reborn in blood the same way he was, likely destined to follow the same path he did. It's a bit open ended, sure, and absolutely sucks for Rita, but I think it's the perfect ending to the show. Certainly more than, after that, where they took the plot with Deb, him giving his son to a serial poisoner, and going off to live in the Pacific Northwest.

The revival season I could take or leave. It's...fine, but didn't add much.

Azhais posted:

At least they didn't go the book route and have him be possessed by an ancient demonic spirit

Yeah, we're all glad about that. The first book is pretty good, and mostly similar to the first season. But after that, yikes those books went off the rails.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That would have been OK as long as Bruce Campbell had to come take him out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Someone post salad lady.

And then post salad lady stabbing the devil.

thrawn527 posted:

Also full show spoilers.

Yeah that ending sucks poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Someone post salad lady.

And then post salad lady stabbing the devil.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LOL was about to post the same two gifs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thank you sickos. Thank you thread.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The old Dexter thread is one of the reasons I enjoy weekly shows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

The old Dexter thread is one of the reasons I enjoy weekly shows.

Yeah Dexter and Sons of Anarchy are both shows I would have given up on if the threads hadn't been comedy gold.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

One of the other cops lost an off putting amount of weight in between seasons. Like he was already skinny (still healthy looking though), but suddenly he just looked like he was skin and bones like he had a serious health condition or substance abuse problem or something.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just watched the latest episode of Shogun and I would like to rescind all comments about weekly shows being better. Give me the finale right the gently caress now. I need it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

I just watched the latest episode of Shogun and I would like to rescind all comments about weekly shows being better. Give me the finale right the gently caress now. I need it.

Yeah holy poo poo you could cut the tension in this episode with a knife naginata

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Medullah posted:

Yeah Dexter and Sons of Anarchy are both shows I would have given up on if the threads hadn't been comedy gold.

Just IMAGINING the gifs of Jax walking all stupidly is making me crack up right now

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

After the first two episodes I got busy with life stuff and decided to just wait until I can binge it all.

It feels bad to catch up with like three episodes in a row in the middle of a season only to then have to wait a week between episodes. I have to either have it all available to me at once or watch it one episode a week, and I can deal with missing one episode, but if it's three or more I'm already out of it enough I might just as well wait.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Medullah posted:

The SoA thread in the last season or two were loving amazing. It was Ghost something that posted the absolute best recaps of how crazy stupid the episodes were.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The Lost threads were the best and I'll die on that hill. Was always fun reading the next day at work.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

AcidCat posted:

The Lost threads were the best and I'll die on that hill. Was always fun reading the next day at work.

Some of my favorite times were in threads for LOST and Glee. The Glee ones were especially fun as everyone turned from enjoying the show to absolutely loathing it and hate watching it.

Maybe I'm being extreme in my views but I feel like the binge model really kills any reason to add mystery to a show. To me, one of the best parts a mystery is spending a week thinking about it and speculating what it could be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved Hannibal already but the weekly threads and reacting in real time with the other posters was a glorious experience week to week. God, what a great show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Welp I'm officially a Nielsen house now. They actually sent a real live person to my house after calling the number to run through all the equipment and everything. Streaming counts too! What I watch tonight finally counts!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

X-O posted:

Welp I'm officially a Nielsen house now. They actually sent a real live person to my house after calling the number to run through all the equipment and everything. Streaming counts too! What I watch tonight finally counts!

How does it work now, do they set up some kind of monitoring device on your TV?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

counterfeitsaint posted:

How does it work now, do they set up some kind of monitoring device on your TV?

Nope, it's a little fob that you either wear on a lanyard, a watch, or clip on your belt. It picks up frequencies in the programming that we can't hear.

It's literally the exact thing in this article. And it has a base that sits in the house that it uploads the data to.

https://radioink.com/2022/04/01/nielsen-wearables-to-be-rolled-out-this-year/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

Nope, it's a little fob that you either wear on a lanyard, a watch, or clip on your belt. It picks up frequencies in the programming that we can't hear.

It's literally the exact thing in this article. And it has a base that sits in the house that it uploads the data to.

https://radioink.com/2022/04/01/nielsen-wearables-to-be-rolled-out-this-year/

Imagining forgetting to take the fob off and suddenly Backdoor Sluts Volume 18 is getting stellar ratings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe I'm being extreme in my views but I feel like the binge model really kills any reason to add mystery to a show. To me, one of the best parts a mystery is spending a week thinking about it and speculating what it could be.

Do you feel the same way about movies? Short stories? I'm now imagining someone who buys two tickets to a movie, one a week after the first so they can leave after the midpoint to mull over the mystery.

I actually actively try to keep myself from getting too far ahead of the plot. I used to theorycraft, but inevitably I will either end up frustrated that the plot didn't unwind the way I thought it should or I'll get annoyed that I called where the thing was going too soon. It detracted from my enjoyment of what I was watching. I find much more satisfying discussion after the fact now in going back and seeing how the show supported its mystery along the way. To me, the payoff of the mystery is the finishing of the meal and the discussion is then the dessert. Doing it the other way around feels like filling up on junk food that then spoils enjoyment of the meal.

Another thig I would like to note is the examples that people are throwing out (Lost, BSG, Hannibal) aren't serviced by the weekly streaming model because they still don't have specific airtimes. People are not streaming weekly shows in real time together. So, you aren't getting the live reactions, you still have people filtering in over the course of several hours or days since someone watched it at 2am when it dropped and someone else watched it at 10pm that night or a day or two later. Weekly isn't recapturing live posting atmosphere, you essentially have to wait until you finish watching the episode before you open the thread.

Why a week? We have a weekly shows because networks had to fill timeslots on a schedule across 30ish weeks out of the year, there's nothing inherently optimal about that time between epsidoes other than scheduling routine. Some shows are doing the release a few episodes up front thing and then weekly afterwards, but let's chuck all that out of the window. What about daily releases? Every two days? Group episodes in narrative arcs and release those groupings once a week. Season 2 of What-If released daily and it was a wonderful schedule that suited the nature of the show. Similar to how streaming freed us from the rigid length structure of episodes, it should free us from other constraints as well. I don't want showrunners to feel compelled to pad 27 minutes of plot into a 44 minute episode because they don't want to give people only 27 minutes one week.

That's actually a segue into something I noted while watching Fallout that annoyed the poo poo out of me and was something I feared would happen ever since Amazon made their ad-free announcement. The show's editing was done to take into account commercials and it feels like such a regression after all of these years. Fading to full back for a scene transition should be a narrative choice, not one forced upon you to make the commercial insert less jarring.