Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

jokes posted:

Laser dog handles the lil guys, my primary handles the medium guys, my support weapon handles the big guys. This is the way of things.

Eruptor :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I tried out the Scorcher last night and I can see myself becoming a fan of this thing, but it does feel pinched on ammo if I shoot trash with it. What supports do you usually pair it with? I ran it with an arc thrower and it felt like that offsets the ammo situation well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Dominator isn't a terrible companion to the autocannon if you want something that still hits pretty hard against medium armour (and is slightly more accurate against small enemies) without the risk of self-damage at close range.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

SMG pairs better with the autocannon since you can run away while shooting the stuff that closed too close to you so you can find new cover to reload the big boi to start blasting again.

I think the SMG, shotguns, and Sickle are all fine sidearms for the autocannon against bots. The Sickle is great for clearing trash at further ranges, the shotguns give you the ability to hold your ground against berserkers and sometimes devs depending on your shotgun choices with stagger, and the SMG is like a weaker (imo) Sickle that like you said lets you fire against anyone that gets close while retreating. All three decent and I've swapped back and forth many times, settling more on the Sickle just because its so versatile.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Durzel posted:

I actually thought the Eruptor basically had near infinite range until I noticed the shots just explode after a certain point. it feels more than 120 metres though.

Is it true that if you ADS there is no scope drag? I pretty much never ADS because I find the 3PS aiming decent enough.

Not sure, I barely ever use the scope since I'm not a fan of changing the setting so I leave it on 200m for precision long-range stuff, but I'm also in camp Easier to Just Aim Past My Target and Click When the Trailing Marker is in the Right Spot camp. The kind of bugs I want to shoot with the Erupter move predictably, are relatively slow, and have large weakpoints so I find it easier to turn on the Always On crosshair and just Over the Shoulder aim when I'm in the right spot.

Schwawa posted:

If you find the eruptor hard to aim try crouching more.

If this feels good to you, more power to you, but with a gun with 120m effective range, there is rarely ever a time where you're in the best place while firing, so I'd say getting good at running to that Best Place in between standing shots is the more valuable skill to practice first.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 16, 2024

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

explosivo posted:

I'm not really bitching at all I'm just saying there are definitely weapons that have come out in premium battle passes that do not work as advertised such as the incendiary shotgun and the thermite grenade which is legitimately trash. I realize stakeholders probably want regular cadence of premium content which makes sense but it's not whinging for whinging's sake because you find them fun to use. There's absolutely room for fun, not so competitive weapons but it's okay to admit that some of the weapons are objectively worse than others or actually currently broken due to bugs that have been acknowledged by the developers of the game.

Well it is true they've got some goof rear end bugs they're trying to fix. They're a tiny team and I bet it's a monster task until they hire and integrate new programmers. Generally I'm optimistic because the more recent balance pack transformed a bunch of weapons, particularly those on the first warbond. I see lots of folks complain about the scorcher but I also see people love it and sing it's praises. The patch took the Dominator, which was very disappointing at release, into my personal favorite weapon in the game.

I get why people are disappointed but I have adjusted my expectations for the devs given the attention and workload and have faith the devs know what's off and will get to it when they can.

Like I love the spear but have somewhat shelved it until the lock on is fixed. Fire weapons? Kinda not on my radar but when the fire dot is fixed eventually, that will be exciting again.

Honestly the big patches have been really fun for me cuz it just throws everything on its head when old weapons are made new.

Anyway I get the annoyance but I dont get the frustration. If folks are incensed by elements of the game set it down and come back in a month. There will be more content, more fixes and 250 medals waiting for you from community events.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Well it is true they've got some goof rear end bugs they're trying to fix. They're a tiny team and I bet it's a monster task until they hire and integrate new programmers. Generally I'm optimistic because the more recent balance pack transformed a bunch of weapons, particularly those on the first warbond. I see lots of folks complain about the scorcher but I also see people love it and sing it's praises. The patch took the Dominator, which was very disappointing at release, into my personal favorite weapon in the game.

I get why people are disappointed but I have adjusted my expectations for the devs given the attention and workload and have faith the devs know what's off and will get to it when they can.

Like I love the spear but have somewhat shelved it until the lock on is fixed. Fire weapons? Kinda not on my radar but when the fire dot is fixed eventually, that will be exciting again.

Honestly the big patches have been really fun for me cuz it just throws everything on its head when old weapons are made new.

Anyway I get the annoyance but I dont get the frustration. If folks are incensed by elements of the game set it down and come back in a month. There will be more content, more fixes and 250 medals waiting for you from community events.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i want the devs to buff the blitzer so it pops spewers and striders in less than 3 shots

it will then be my favorite primary in the game

failing that, add an arc pistol that fires a single blitzer arc at a rate of 1.5/sec so i can rapidly clear trash around me when using the eruptor

can never have too much :science:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Re: Eruptor being unwieldy, it's good for making each shot feel important and frankly what makes it balanced imo. If it was snappy hitscan it would definitely be way overpowered, but the weight of its movement tempers it's incredible power and gives it a glaring downside that you have to account for in your loadout and tactics.

Once you adjust and get used to it it's not even really a concern, it just factors into how you play. It would be boring if I just ran around the same way I would with a sickle but instead I had a high-powered explosive rifle instead.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Eruptor owns how it is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does the starter pistol still do the same damage/penetration as the uzi, making it 100% obsolete?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Janissary Hop posted:

All I can comment on is what I can see playing the game, and based one what I see the vast majority of guns and supports simply go unused. For bugs that vast majority of people run sickle or fire shotgun for primary and quasar for support. There is a little more diversity in primaries for bots, where I see scorcher, dominator, slugger, or for some reason I can't understand the sickle again. But then the quasar returns as dominant support, with only some competition from the autocannon. For grenades the vast majority use impact for bugs and bots, although I'm seeing stuns more, maybe because of the grenade gun.
This would happen even if all the weapons were balanced because there are large subjective components to weapon preference and most players aren't interested in experimenting themselves or swapping loadouts constantly, so they just stick to what they've heard is good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Does the starter pistol still do the same damage/penetration as the uzi, making it 100% obsolete?
Yes.

Frankly of all the talk about weapons balance or variability it seems like pistols have the most glaring issues. Unless I'm way off it seems like your choices are effectively the Redeemer or the grenade pistol (which is in essence giving up your pistol for more impact grenades). The Senator's reload is atrocious and the base pistol is just immediately outclassed by the Redeemer. The laser pistol has horrible DPS and is there even another one?

The primaries at least have some variation both within class and with different feel/loadout flexibility.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ravenfood posted:

Yes.

Frankly of all the talk about weapons balance or variability it seems like pistols have the most glaring issues. Unless I'm way off it seems like your choices are effectively the Redeemer or the grenade pistol (which is in essence giving up your pistol for more impact grenades). The Senator's reload is atrocious and the base pistol is just immediately outclassed by the Redeemer. The laser pistol has horrible DPS and is there even another one?

The primaries at least have some variation both within class and with different feel/loadout flexibility.
I'm a starter pistol user since I enjoy the aesthetic and sound (compared to single shot redeemer) of it, but yeah as far as I can tell there's literally no mechanical advantage to using it over the redeemer.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Ravenfood posted:

Yes.

I don't get to play much, so I still have a bunch of poo poo to unlock, but yeah, secondaries are sorely lacking in variety. I make the Senator work against bots just as an "I can't stop to reload anything and need bang now" kind of gun. Definitely Redeemer against bugs. Senator also is a fun complement to my Defender when I'm running around like an idiot with a ballistic shield. I'm sure I'll use the grenade pistol a bunch when I finally unlock it, but I'm not there yet.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I just barely hit level 25 and ground up enough currency to get one warbond. Which should it be? I’ve been using breaker/redeemer/laserdog or shield/quasar or grenade launcher but it’s worked better against bots than bugs, and I’m jealous of the other loadouts gated by the warbonds.

Autocannon has seemed very underwhelming, worse than the quasar against heavy stuff and worse than the breaker (at short range) against mediums and lights, to say nothing of also meaning you can’t run a shield or laserdog. Amazing when you have support in the right situation, but I usually don’t. I suppose it requires light armor to reposition to hit weak spots fast, I need to break my default 150 armor/shield/stamina boost crutch habit and actually learn to use cover better but in light with an AC I die a lot to normal bot bullets.

I kind of feel like I’m trapped using the breaker because it’s the only thing that can fairly easily cut down the trains of 5-10 mediums that seem to spend a lot of time chasing everyone around on higher difficulties. The sickle or eruptor might work as well, but which to pick?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Gazaar posted:

Eruptor owns how it is.

It'd be nice if the flak pushed instead of pulled but imo it's a drat hoot. With a stalwart and rocket rifle I can solve most problems.

Edit unrelated: but I think way too many playstyles are built for people running solo or quick play builds. So much commentary forgets this is a cooperative team game. I run AT heavy load outs so my friends can kill chaff. A single bubble shield brought by one person supports four. Flare? Dropships incoming? Screw the Quasar a buddy reload on the recoilless lets me shoot them down literally as fast as they appear.

explosivo posted:

I've been having fun with the bugged (?) blast by shooting behind enemies chasing my teammates so it yanks them away from em. Like my own little black hole cannon.

Lmao this rules

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 16, 2024

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Question Time posted:

Autocannon has seemed very underwhelming

Such disrespect for the Autocannon will not be tolerated good sir.

If I had to pick a warbond for someone to get, it would be the one with the stun grenade, just for the stun grenade itself. Sickle comes as a bonus.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 16, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

It'd be nice if the flak pushed instead of pulled but imo it's a drat hoot. With a stalwart and rocket rifle I can solve most problems.

I've been having fun with the bugged (?) blast by shooting behind enemies chasing my teammates so it yanks them away from em. Like my own little black hole cannon.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Baby T. Love posted:

Sounds like a fair trade-off for a primary that can one-shot a Stalker. I invite any goon to join the ranks of the players who tried the Erupter and thought "Wow, this would be amazing in skilled hands, I wonder if that could be me," and not "Wow, butt-garbage, next weapon please!"

e: My favorite things about the Erupter:
-You can run 3-4 meters while chambering the next round while maintaining full DPS
-Next round chambers automagically while you use a different weapon/call in airstrike/use terminal
-Ridiculous damage
-Shrapnel kills baby bugs with nearby shots
-Medium Pen and Explosive!?
-Early reloads don't punish you as much because the chambered round you keep is 20% of a mag instead of 2-4%.
-Reloads don't feel bad since they aren't too much longer than chambering a new round (and you learned to keep moving between shots anyway, so there's no play-flow shift when reloading)
-12(!) reserve Magazines
-120 meter range without noticeable damage fallout
-Closes Bug Holes/Opens shipping containers/Destroys Spore Spewers
-Teaches you through the Trial by Fire to NEVER be close enough to a bug to hit yourself with shrapnel, see first point

And this list, it is a list of good things?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Wait are there actually people that think the Erupter is somehow bad?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BadLlama posted:

Wait are there actually people that think the Erupter is somehow bad?

Well, it's not the liberator so

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eruptor is fantastic you just have to think of it like a lil autocannon that you probably don't want to use all the time. Bring a Stalwart or something.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Question Time posted:

I just barely hit level 25 and ground up enough currency to get one warbond. Which should it be? I’ve been using breaker/redeemer/laserdog or shield/quasar or grenade launcher but it’s worked better against bots than bugs, and I’m jealous of the other loadouts gated by the warbonds.

I really enjoy the Dominator a ton in the Steeled Vets warbond. It's just so fun to trivialize Devastators at any range and it feels so unique in the arsenal. You can kill anything with a glowing weak spot very fast. It staggers hulks! The senator just feels fun to use and is amazing when you get skill with it. You can one shot devastators in the face, kills troopers with a single bullet and staggers many enemy types.

The other I have is the explosives one and all the weapons are fun. The space G3 rifle is chunky and heavy, very flexible but doesn't excel at everything. Eruptor is a comedy stick. The crossbow mulched bugs big time. Also grenade pistol! Great utility.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eruptors def good, but it leaves me vulnerable to super close stuff that I use a Punisher for. Its a great gun but needs some consideration for stuff like that when choosing loadouts

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Its a great gun but needs some consideration for stuff like that when choosing loadouts

100% agree

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Strong Sauce posted:

Kinda wish you can primary the arc lighter and have eruptor be the secondary.

Just use the Arc as if it was a primary?

It's an excellent combo that I use all the time. Arc can keep tons of things away from close range and the Eruptor murders medium range. Especially against bugs.

Using Arc and Eruptor has me changing back and forth a whole lot more than other primary and support combos I use.

Dandywalken posted:

Eruptors def good, but it leaves me vulnerable to super close stuff that I use a Punisher for. Its a great gun but needs some consideration for stuff like that when choosing loadouts

Eruptor really benefits from a good sidearm, and it will teach you to pull out and use that sidearm, or life gets very very annoying sometimes. A good Redeemer and remembering to use it appropriately solves a lot of problems.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I like having a loadout that can handle pretty much anything since I mostly pub and don't want to rely on potential dum dums to complete all the objectives and handle all threats. Eruptor is so fun and I think 2 Strategem, Laser Dog, Quasar/EATs with Eruptor/redeemer is a great all rounder run. I don't usually run backpacks though because previously I was addicted to AC, but I wouldn't run AC with Eruptor. I tried Eruptor, 3 call ins, stalwart and that was very effective but was missing the super on demand anti charger tech (I gotta work on eruptor vs chargers to maybe make that work). I'm wondering if something like Sickle, Grenade Pistol, 3 Strats, Quasar/EATs would be the smoothest all around loadout but I don't know if the grenade pistol can really replace the utility of eruptor I just unlocked it so haven't run with it yet. I ran Eruptor, Redeemer, 3 call ins, Quasar on a map but was constantly running low on redeemer ammo due to hunters :argh: It was great for everything else and if you had the distance but in some scenarios patrols were just showing up on top of me. Didn't die, but did end up running around from hunters benny hill style while killing enough close ones with redeemer to get the eruptor back out to try and AOE them down. Eruptor, Redeemer, ARC, 3 call ins was good. I think this one might benefit from 2 call ins and having EATs as well. ARC can handle most things but I felt the range nerf at times. Also arc is fun but not as fun as things that blow up so I wasn't super feeling the play style even if it was effective.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

Eruptor is fantastic you just have to think of it like a lil autocannon that you probably don't want to use all the time. Bring a Stalwart or something.

Flamethrower and arc thrower are both excellent options to pair with the Eruptor, imo. As is the laser backpack.

It's a nice inversion of my bot strategem loadout where most things are orbital or Eagle strikes with one autocannon while my current bug loadout is three pieces of gear (if you count EATs) and one strike. Which strike it is keeps changing since I can't decide, but that's OK.

E:

quote:

I'm wondering if something like Sickle, Grenade Pistol, 3 Strats, EATs
That was my bug loadout until I started having fun with the Eruptor, so yes it's good.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 16, 2024

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Just died a way I never have before. I was on an ice bot planet, standing on an ice patch, the ones that make you slide around. Got hit with a rocket and didn't die, but fell below the ice and drowned.

Glitch, or feature?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Aww they stealth patched out the supercred farming exploit lol. Guess I just gotta earn the regular way now

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

BitBasher posted:

Just use the Arc as if it was a primary?

It's an excellent combo that I use all the time. Arc can keep tons of things away from close range and the Eruptor murders medium range. Especially against bugs.

Using Arc and Eruptor has me changing back and forth a whole lot more than other primary and support combos I use.

Eruptor really benefits from a good sidearm, and it will teach you to pull out and use that sidearm, or life gets very very annoying sometimes. A good Redeemer and remembering to use it appropriately solves a lot of problems.

what i mean is if you land from a reinforcement you don't have the arc with you, which does way better against swarms. if you're running for your life it's harder to call your strategem.

Question Time posted:

Autocannon has seemed very underwhelming, worse than the quasar against heavy stuff and worse than the breaker (at short range) against mediums and lights, to say nothing of also meaning you can’t run a shield or laserdog. Amazing when you have support in the right situation, but I usually don’t. I suppose it requires light armor to reposition to hit weak spots fast, I need to break my default 150 armor/shield/stamina boost crutch habit and actually learn to use cover better but in light with an AC I die a lot to normal bot bullets.

I kind of feel like I’m trapped using the breaker because it’s the only thing that can fairly easily cut down the trains of 5-10 mediums that seem to spend a lot of time chasing everyone around on higher difficulties. The sickle or eruptor might work as well, but which to pick?

what difficulty are you regularly playing? once you start going past hard, or even on hard there are tons of medium bugs (sorry dont know the names) that _might_ be killable with breakers but you will just mow them down with the AC. quasars are strong no question but if there is already 2 people carrying that, probably better overall to just bring AC and EATs and use the breaker as crowd control.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I respect that they're trying to do one Warbond a month and it's still pretty early but the reality is that the 8th Warbond isn't going to hit as hard as the 2nd. There's definitely diminishing returns here at some point, every Live Service game hits them.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Question Time posted:

The incendiary breaker has been my mealticket until I could unlock the eruptor. Works just as well on bots as it does on bugs.
When you're the host and get all its advantages you become a complete wrecking crew between each reload.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jerkface posted:

I like having a loadout that can handle pretty much anything since I mostly pub and don't want to rely on potential dum dums to complete all the objectives and handle all threats. Eruptor is so fun and I think 2 Strategem, Laser Dog, Quasar/EATs with Eruptor/redeemer is a great all rounder run. I don't usually run backpacks though because previously I was addicted to AC, but I wouldn't run AC with Eruptor. I tried Eruptor, 3 call ins, stalwart and that was very effective but was missing the super on demand anti charger tech (I gotta work on eruptor vs chargers to maybe make that work). I'm wondering if something like Sickle, Grenade Pistol, 3 Strats, Quasar/EATs would be the smoothest all around loadout but I don't know if the grenade pistol can really replace the utility of eruptor I just unlocked it so haven't run with it yet. I ran Eruptor, Redeemer, 3 call ins, Quasar on a map but was constantly running low on redeemer ammo due to hunters :argh: It was great for everything else and if you had the distance but in some scenarios patrols were just showing up on top of me. Didn't die, but did end up running around from hunters benny hill style while killing enough close ones with redeemer to get the eruptor back out to try and AOE them down. Eruptor, Redeemer, ARC, 3 call ins was good. I think this one might benefit from 2 call ins and having EATs as well. ARC can handle most things but I felt the range nerf at times. Also arc is fun but not as fun as things that blow up so I wasn't super feeling the play style even if it was effective.

eruptor/arc/EAT/laser dog with extra strat for flavor has been godlike for me so far. can easily handle anything the bugs throw at me. i love the arc tho and can easily zone out just zap zap zapping bugs all day

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Aww they stealth patched out the supercred farming exploit lol. Guess I just gotta earn the regular way now

how did they patch it out?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ignore, bad post.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jerkface posted:

how did they patch it out?

You no longer can farm the same exact map for creds/medals. Your third time on the same map won't add anything to your account when you pick stuff up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bot loadout is Sickle / AC , Bug loadout is Sickle / EATs

Sickle is just such a bullet hose for trash sweeping. I'm still waiting on the trident though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You no longer can farm the same exact map for creds/medals. Your third time on the same map won't add anything to your account when you pick stuff up.

Loading up a tier 1 mission and just running to the shiny beams still seems like it will be something people do to farm SC.