Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was playing Helldivers 2 yesterday and I think I frustrated some rando I was playing with because I couldn't really hear the audio cue for moving the satellite tower into the right position, felt bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been playing a lot of Rise of the Ronin, and this game is really good.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Arist posted:

I was playing Helldivers 2 yesterday and I think I frustrated some rando I was playing with because I couldn't really hear the audio cue for moving the satellite tower into the right position, felt bad

You gotta think about it from the perspective of a person who still finds that incredibly funny. "Here?" NO! "Here?"

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Assassin's Creed Syndicate had a map objective that was like "3/5 Child Laborers Rescued" and I thought that was one of the funniest things to ever read in a video game.

Hah, many things in games fade into the general fuzz of my old brain but I still specifically remember rescuing those child laborers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

FF7R worked under extremely tight restraints which is why it has so many crawling-through-small-spaces segments and forced mid-battle cutscenes. Like it was tight enough restraints that the Yuffie DLC, which is only slightly more open, flat-out wouldn't work on the PS4. It also had genuinely terrible texture work in a lot of places. (The infamous door, yes, but a lot of backgrounds were awful.) It was clever use of limitations to allow them to focus a lot on genuinely small areas because Midgar allowed that.

FF7Reb still looks better than FFXIV to me but also has performance issues.

I don't play any MMOs so I couldn't really name one that even looks as good as Tekken 7, let alone FF7 Remake. That game's only 4 years old!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been working/studying and like a week away from home, is there official confirmation about a PS5 Pro?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I've been working/studying and like a week away from home, is there official confirmation about a PS5 Pro?
Not yet.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Nope!.

To add to the FF conversation:

-7 Remake looked fantastic on PS4
-I played XVI on glorious 30fps and I felt it looked great.

That is all.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Paying2Lurk posted:

The youth are dumb.

FFXVI rules

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guillermus posted:

There is no press release for public consumption, but there is enough other information floating around (mostly leaked developer documentation and reports from trusted figures) that such a release is just a matter of time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I don't play any MMOs so I couldn't really name one that even looks as good as Tekken 7, let alone FF7 Remake. That game's only 4 years old!

I mean XVI there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

16 was a good game but I don’t think it was a good final fantasy.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

when are they going to do a 13 trilogy remaster?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arist posted:

I'm like fifty hours and change into Unicorn Overlord and it's been really good but I'm about ready for it to end. Getting a little concerned by the number of hidden trophies still left, though.

How did I get ahead of you so fast? My final playthrougn time was like 80 hours. And by the 4th area I was just skipping through the battle animations. Game big.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I slowed down majorly in the fourth area and took a few days off

As for the playtime difference, I've been mostly skipping battle animations since like Drakenhold lmao

e: Anyway, as a funny prank on myself I spent like ten minutes using the tavern to boost Alain's Rapport with basically everyone and now I have forty-one scenes unlocked, :rip:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

big nipples big life posted:

when are they going to do a 13 trilogy remaster?

Something something... wrong console.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the replies! This time I'm more fond of picking up a Pro version because I can send the fat to my missus' and the PS4 I have there can find another use or maybe even think about jailbreaking it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I said come in! posted:

Been playing a lot of Rise of the Ronin, and this game is really good.

I jumped from 'meh' to 'cant stop playing' after maybe 10 hours. I also just realized what exactly the flinging blood off your blade does, and there's a strategy as to when to do it. The more blood on your weapon the more Ki (stamina) it recharges :2monocle:

I also take it as a personal challenge to clean and sheath my weapon before a cutscene kicks in, because it's the sanitary thing to do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You also get unique animations if you hold the sheath button when there's blood still on your blade.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rebirth constantly amazes me that they took such pains to create a gorgeous world, a great cast, a fun battle system, an interesting plot, and then flubbed it SO UNBELIEVABLY HARD designing the actual battles. So, so many actively bad, unfun design choices, for every couple fights that are exciting and cool there's at least one that has me wondering why I even bother playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Rebirth constantly amazes me that they took such pains to create a gorgeous world, a great cast, a fun battle system, an interesting plot, and then flubbed it SO UNBELIEVABLY HARD designing the actual battles. So, so many actively bad, unfun design choices, for every couple fights that are exciting and cool there's at least one that has me wondering why I even bother playing.

That is genuinely bewildering to me because Rebirth has some of the best designed fights I can think of in a game. Short of "I refuse to adjust/adapt to different tactics required by different bosses" I can't imagine what would be giving you that much trouble.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is wild to learn lmao? When I played it, I was like "Are the kids really going to be into a game that starts with a kid seeing his family being brutally disemboweled"
idk how to tell you this but teenagers love stuff like that lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if theres one thing teenagers hate, its when things are really dark and violent and hosed up

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What about the history lectures tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

25 years ago a bunch of 12 year olds loved final fantasy tactics

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Has anyone here redeemed and played Immortals of Aveum on PS5 and can speak to its performance?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about the history lectures tho

If it is fictional history lectures involving magic and poo poo? Yes, absolutely, there are at least a subset of absolute nerdy kids who love that poo poo.

Like... Final Fantasy Tactics is 95% that and it's fondly remembered by people who were kids then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like ff16's vibe is largely inspired by fft and the ogre battle/tactics ogre stuff, and those games had a ton of younger fans on the 90s/early 2000s internet. heck given how old those games are a lot of people who worked on ff16 were probably fans of that stuff as kids.

like attack on titan was huge with kids a few years ago and that show's also largely grim hyperviolence and politics talk. and plenty of 12-17 year olds were into game of thrones during its run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly when I was young I loved that stuff. (And still do, to some degree.) I liked hearing about fantasy worlds and trying to puzzle out how things worked in them. One of my favorite things to do was actually to try to imagine how law/criminal court/etc systems work in a fantasy world based off the information provided. (And TBH I still have fun doing that even if I'm more aware of the flaws in things.) If Wikis had been a thing when I was really young I'm pretty sure I would have spent hours upon hours on them documenting all sorts of Lore.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Phenotype posted:

Baffling take, I can’t get enough of combat in Rebirth! Actually requiring you to engage with deeper mechanics and the varying play styles of the different characters, it’s such a breath of fresh air after FF16 undercooking nearly every encounter. It’d be nice if you could post the specific fights you are having problems with

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phenotype posted:

what kind of reaction do you expect when you make posts like this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People going 'skill issue'

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy 16 apparently was the first Final Fantasy in a long time to have an audience that was more in their 16-25 demographic than the over 30 demographic, so whatever flaws it had it did exactly what they wanted it to do which is bring in new players.

i initially read that as saying more in that demographic than usual, not more than olds, but maybe you're right

In recent years, players of the Final Fantasy series have tended to skew towards a higher age range. However, this time there are survey results showing that more people in their teens and 20s played Final Fantasy 16. I think this shows that, to a certain extent, we’ve achieved one of our initial goals – to have players of all ages play the latest Final Fantasy game.

Push Sqaure

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I jumped from 'meh' to 'cant stop playing' after maybe 10 hours. I also just realized what exactly the flinging blood off your blade does, and there's a strategy as to when to do it. The more blood on your weapon the more Ki (stamina) it recharges :2monocle:

I also take it as a personal challenge to clean and sheath my weapon before a cutscene kicks in, because it's the sanitary thing to do.

That is such a team ninja mechanic and something I didnt realize was there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rinkles posted:

i initially read that as saying more in that demographic than usual, not more than olds, but maybe you're right

In recent years, players of the Final Fantasy series have tended to skew towards a higher age range. However, this time there are survey results showing that more people in their teens and 20s played Final Fantasy 16. I think this shows that, to a certain extent, we’ve achieved one of our initial goals – to have players of all ages play the latest Final Fantasy game.

Push Sqaure

That's cool... it does raise the question of where the onramp for younger people into final fantasy is these days -- like i mentioned my the post after the quoted part, like i was primed for FF7 because I got into the series with 4 and 6, and while they were certainly stories with dark themes, the abstracted presentation and simpler gameplay was something that meshed well for me as an 8-year-old. Even FFT with the chibi sprites kinda blunted the impact of the whole political oppression and murder plots going on. And I guess for me 16 just seemed very much into the grimdark, at least compared to 15 or 7 Remake, which from my oldster perspective seemed like broader appeal.

I guess these days would it be Kingdom Hearts? Or is that something that's for the olds now too lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 16, 2024

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm 105 hours into rebirth and I've had 3 fights so far when I thought to myself 'if I really think about this and switch everyone's materia around, I could beat it... But I can't be arsed so I'll put it on easy'

Materia management to change a strategy is way too tedious, need to be able to save sets and temporarily have duplicates marked or just some better way to cross reference a setup. It's fussy and engaging with it is a major pacing roadblock when the story is going crazy and you've already had 2 attempts at a boss.

I am genuinely thankful they included the option, and I've not left it on easy for more than one fight to save menu diving and strategizing. The game is much better for it and you should use the features that keep you having fun.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think Rebirth's combat/fights are the best of the entire series if not the best action RPG around, but that's just me. If Square does anything different for 17, they are making a mistake.

I feel like the venn diagram between people who don't like it and people who unequip assess materia is probably a near-total overlap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's cool... it does raise the question of where the onramp for younger people into final fantasy is these days -- like i mentioned my the post after the quoted part, like i was primed for FF7 because I got into the series with 4 and 6, and while they were certainly stories with dark themes, the abstracted presentation and simpler gameplay was something that meshed well for me as an 8-year-old. Even FFT with the chibi sprites kinda blunted the impact of the whole political oppression and murder plots going on. And I guess for me 16 just seemed very much into the grimdark, at least compared to 15 or 7 Remake, which from my oldster perspective seemed like broader appeal.

I guess these days would it be Kingdom Hearts? Or is that something that's for the olds now too lol
again you're vastly overthinking this and also vastly underestimating what kids are into. kids are just playing ff7 remake like everyone else lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and like, you might have viewed ff7 as like, a mature game for you as you were getting older and had already played previous games. but i played and beat ff7 when i was 6. granted i was a precocious reader type kid but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm 105 hours into rebirth and I've had 3 fights so far when I thought to myself 'if I really think about this and switch everyone's materia around, I could beat it... But I can't be arsed so I'll put it on easy'

Materia management to change a strategy is way too tedious, need to be able to save sets and temporarily have duplicates marked or just some better way to cross reference a setup. It's fussy and engaging with it is a major pacing roadblock when the story is going crazy and you've already had 2 attempts at a boss.

I am genuinely thankful they included the option, and I've not left it on easy for more than one fight to save menu diving and strategizing. The game is much better for it and you should use the features that keep you having fun.

You move the materia you need to the character you are using. It takes like ten seconds.

Honestly you can set up sets that work for everyone since weapon abilities are so strong.