Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Catastrophe posted:

lol @ anyone thinking that the vicious attacks on abortion from the Right right now have anything to do with anything other than hatred for women and a need to inflict harm and cruelty onto others.

To me it's a mixture of controlling women (which is a policy the right adores) and punishing any that have sex for fun. Intercourse is supposed to be a tightly controlled job that women endure under only the most careful of circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
TUMP

LOL

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't grasp the point of a week limit period. If you think abortion is murder then it isn't like you're going to be placated by "just a bit murder" and if not then abortion should be legal as long as it is medically necessary, not some arbitrary week count. Who does it make happy?

I think Ron White's meemaw had it best

Ron White posted:

The year I turned 13, I experimented with something, and my grandma caught me in the bathroom just a'doin it. She said, "It says in the Bible, young man, that it is better for your seed to fall in the belly of a whore than on the ground." I said, "Tough to argue with that logic, Grandma. You got 50 bucks?"

Life doesn't begin at conception for these people it begins at ejaculation.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

LifeSunDeath posted:

was PKMTR just a friendly AI and we ran out of tokens?

We were running it on an old Bitcoin mining GPU array TM bought on eBay and poo poo got powerful and funny and it caught on fire. We're gonna move it to the cloud soon.

For real though I hope they are ok and return soon.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

nesamdoom posted:

I'm behind, but since I haven't heard of dump being in jail I'll post. There is no way in which trump wouldn't end up in jail from contempt in any court as a normal person. If his bullshit is allowed in criminal court then I absolutely will act like the hugest piece of poo poo the next time I got a misdemeanor and cite the case as to why I can do any unhinged poo poo I want while in court. gently caress... I really want to see him go to jail for running his mouth and, obviously he will, I hope the judge hits him for it.

You usually have to really gently caress up to end up in contempt. For example, have to be found and dragged into court and then shittalk the judge to their face. Or when told to leave for laughing in court, kick the doors open and start screaming at the top of your lungs. Trump does his best to within the bounds while still causing trouble.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
having heard the experiences of two friends who willingly gave birth recently, gently caress anyone who thinks abortions should be banned. 6 weeks is of course usually too soon to be able to tell if you're pregnant even if you're actively trying, but 15 weeks and beyond also has plenty of benchmarks where a mother might want to terminate their pregnancy. no one goes through the ordeal of being pregnant and decides "you know what, not for me" in at any point, ESPECIALLY not the last trimester. if anyone's gotten to that point, it's absolutely because the healthcare system has failed them and stopped them from getting an abortion as soon as they knew they were pregnant

gently caress these ghouls

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They also want to ban IVF so it’s basically fetus worship as well as controlling women.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Turn on your monitor

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

kazil posted:

This is the trial of the former President of the United States and current Republican nominee for President of the United States.

Yes, and? He's still just a citizen under the law right? Not a king. You either trust "12 citizens chosen at random" or not.

If not, you might as well just have (a panel of) judge(s) decide cases like a lot of countries do.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

weg posted:

For real though I hope they are ok and return soon.

He's probably gonna feel really awkward when he posts again it's a whole page of random applause

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Yeah, that makes sense, by 2020 the whole loss meme was already played out anyway.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Maga: They're out to get him
- yeah, maybe you should leave the country.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Deptfordx posted:

You either trust "12 citizens chosen at random" or not.

This is quaint. The entire objective is impartiality. The goal is to eliminate those unwilling or likely unable to be so.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

why do chuds always drive these psycho trucks/vans/boats whatever?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

digital penitence posted:

attention, and easier to weaponize.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Deptfordx posted:

Yes, and? He's still just a citizen under the law right? Not a king. You either trust "12 citizens chosen at random" or not.

If not, you might as well just have (a panel of) judge(s) decide cases like a lot of countries do.

This is silly.

You can mostly do random people for small time poo poo. This is a person that almost everyone is going to have an opinion about.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 16, 2024

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i swear i hope im never in a situation where people are reading my posts out loud, in public

(im safe cause no one reads my posts anyway)

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Lol what in the gently caress do they think this is going to do? Merchan just suddenly going to openly weep and declare a mistrial?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

So now that they know a few of the jurors how many hours till their names show up on some alt right nutjob site? Lawyers and others have these peoples socials and info, family and friends. Trump loves plausible deniability and letting the chuds do his dirty work.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Sedgr posted:

So now that they know a few of the jurors how many hours till their names show up on some alt right nutjob site? Lawyers and others have these peoples socials and info, family and friends. Trump loves plausible deniability and letting the chuds do his dirty work.

Trumps gonna get berderdrunk and tweet a name and end up in prison on Thursday morning

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

These people live in a cartoon world

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

digital penitence posted:

Because they love paying huge amounts of money for gas and then complaining loudly about it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:pathetic:

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

“Yes, I do understand that Barron will be playing a sick set with Shitchrist at prom, but I must deny the motion”

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

This whole system you have of trying to puzzle out some theoretical perfectly neutral jury seems weird to me.

Here in the UK, you gather at the court till you're selected at random to hear a trial.

The judge gives brief details of the case and asks if you happen to know anyone involved or have some personal connection with the case.

Failing that you're good to go.

It's also way harder to be excused from jury service in the first place as well. You can get one deferment without too much trouble, but apart from that you need a really good reason.

Imagine Margaret Thatcher was on trial in Yorkshire, there'd be a bit of a problem finding people without a "personal connection" to the case.

In my jury duty, all the witnesses were cops and they were throwing the book at a guy who ran 3 card monty games at fisherman's wharf so I could just say I don't trust cops and go home.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i swear i hope im never in a situation where people are reading my posts out loud, in public

Counterpoint, my posts being read aloud to, and at Trump would be a singular accomplishment I'd carry to my dying day.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Corn Glizzy posted:

Lol what in the gently caress do they think this is going to do? Merchan just suddenly going to openly weep and declare a mistrial?

"For you, the day you had to stay in court and missed your son's graduation was the defining moment of your life.

For me, it was tuesday."

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

(im safe cause no one reads my posts anyway)

I'm going to ensure this post is read at my next trial

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lol. They're referring to the lady that was in the video where they were cheering for the healthcare workers?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:rolleye:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

QR Code Geass posted:

Life doesn't begin at conception for these people it begins at ejaculation.

🎵 Every sperm is sacred. 🎶

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Stoatbringer posted:

🎵 Every sperm is sacred. 🎶

behold the holy temple

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Arizona gop are hosed

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Every barron stare is down

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I have nothing against Barron, but the idea of him being wheeled in like Hannibal Lector is very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

The random citizens are selected from a larger pool

The selection is up to the lawyers on both side, typically allowing them to disqualify people they think would be biased against their side

So if you have twenty random people and need twelve, eight need to be eliminated somehow. The somehow is the thing here. In most US cases, the lawyers can then go through and ask all sorts of questions to see if a person might be biased toward or against their side.

It’s not a great system but it actually feels like it has been refined over time to be not bad. A good defense attorney will find you a jury that isn’t just old honkies if you are accused of a crime that sends the grandmothers