Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Jerkface posted:

how did they patch it out?

Now, when you reload a mission you previously alt-f4'd , etc..., the super creds/medals/etc you picked up will still be there, but picking them up no longer adds them to your total count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Autocannons are the kings of accurate, long-ranged firepower against anything smaller and weedier than a Hulk or Charger - and they can be somewhat useful against those too with good aim. Ten shots per mag and five full reloads (or ten half-reloads) is frankly a disgusting amount of boom in a game that's all about doing unto others before they do unto you.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The group I been playing with do not have a lot of ship upgrades and I never realized just how impactful the +50% ammo for turrets is. Mine will pew pew for considerably longer than their un-upgraded turrets.

What I am saying is get all the turret upgrades because upgraded turrets are pretty amazing.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I got the turnspeed increase upgrade and since then I've been bringing the Gatling sentry when I'm afforded the rare fourth stratagem. Last night I saw it shoot jetpack robots as they leapt through the air. If those little devils are giving you trouble, I think this story might be interesting to you.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Apple Craft posted:

Now, when you reload a mission you previously alt-f4'd , etc..., the super creds/medals/etc you picked up will still be there, but picking them up no longer adds them to your total count.

Honestly not a big deal, it ruins finding an especially juicy map but you can just run consecutive trivials and extract. Worsens your SC per hour but not by much because instead of reloading the game you're extracting. But glad I farmed up 4k for future warbonds before they fixed that lol

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

BadLlama posted:

The group I been playing with do not have a lot of ship upgrades and I never realized just how impactful the +50% ammo for turrets is. Mine will pew pew for considerably longer than their un-upgraded turrets.

What I am saying is get all the turret upgrades because upgraded turrets are pretty amazing.

They're going to have to add something really good to make me stop taking Autocannon Turret on every mission. Once you have the upgrades it will clear large Helldive encounters on its own, it might be the single best value stratagem if you can toss it somewhere out of harm's way. Orbital Railstrike takes some additional damage to take down a bile titan, the autocannon turret can do it on its own with ammo to spare. Now that I have the blast shielding from the recent round of ship upgrades it can even withstand a rocket in Automaton missions and keep going.

Just wish it had some kind of internal list of targets to avoid. Sometimes it does enough damage to save you from being helplessly overrun, other times it turns around and shoots the side of a fabricator over and over to ne effect until it's out of ammo.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Dren posted:

And this list, it is a list of good things?

As someone who plays this game to enjoy flowing through the various tensions of its systems, emphatically yes. A+ Design.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Bots are much more fun now that you regularly see mobile factories instead of double tank or triple hulk drops. :swoon:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sindai posted:

Bots are much more fun now that you regularly see mobile factories instead of double tank or triple hulk drops. :swoon:

Those hulks are too dang eager to get your rear end

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I tried very hard to give the spear a chance in a handful of missions.

I'd rather of had a quasar or AC every time.

It is indeed great for sniping fabs, towers long range (so long as you have a clear sight picture and there are no obstructions), but it's a liability whenever poo poo hits the fan imo

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Standard loadout for 9s for me is

Bugs:

Punisher (hitstuns stalkers so you can hold off a nest by yourself if you don't get caught unawares and/or your AC is empty)
Redeemer
Impact Grenade
Autocannon (closes holes from long range, does spewers/shriekers from long range, kills spewers/medium armor bugs)
Eagle Airstrike
500kg
Orbital Precision Strike or Railcannon (latter if there's a call-in modifier, or if it's a blitz where it's better to just guarantee something in tight circumstances)

Bots:

Scorcher (explosive so you can kill tanks/hulks in a pinch, excellent at killing scout striders, serviceable against devastators)
Redeemer
Stun Grenade (for hulks mostly so you can shoot them in the eye with the AC)
Autocannon (kills devastators, gunships, factories, turrets, etc.)
Eagle Airstrike (not as effective against bot patrols compared to bugs but excellent for cleaning up outposts)
Orbital Laser (your get out of jail free card, usually used against detector eyes/factory striders/large bases/command bunkers/bot drop-ins during gunship factories)
Orbital Precision Strike/Railcannon, same as above

running the ultra-light scout armor all the time, the light stim armor for defense/extermination

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Thats basically my exact setup too other than primaries (i've only just unlocked scorcher so have been trying to work it in) except for the orbital precision strike. I honestly havent gone back to it since getting new ones. Does it benefit at all from any of the non-CD related upgrades?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

RE: weapons chat

DMRs just need a bit more damage and for their falloff to start at 75m - making them consistent within the typical engagement envelope would give them a role / niche as this would make the CS kill rocket devestators in one headshot at their preferred engagement range.

The Blitzer just needs more damage or ROF

The Liberator Concussive needs to be rethought.

I would either give it back the regular libs 45 round magazine so it's got a lot of uptime to go with it's CC ability.

Or

Make it explosive again and kind of like a scorcher that did half the damage but had much less ammo constraints.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 16, 2024

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

what i mean is if you land from a reinforcement you don't have the arc with you, which does way better against swarms. if you're running for your life it's harder to call your strategem.

what difficulty are you regularly playing? once you start going past hard, or even on hard there are tons of medium bugs (sorry dont know the names) that _might_ be killable with breakers but you will just mow them down with the AC. quasars are strong no question but if there is already 2 people carrying that, probably better overall to just bring AC and EATs and use the breaker as crowd control.

Trying to do 7s to start getting those super rares, sometimes it seems easy and sometimes we lose. Had some fire tornado 6's with 3-strategems only that were significantly harder than most 7s, and the real trouble I have on 7s is with extracting with the supers.

I think the team comp thing is key. Need a couple people to do crowd/medium control and a couple people to do heavy killing, otherwise you get overrun by the one you aren't specialized against. I can't solo on 7+ the way I can on 5s.

One trick I've used a couple of times is to bring mortars - they're OK by themselves, but their real utility is in teamkilling. Better to kick the idiot early after he gets killed by my mortars a few times then let him delete all our reinforcements and lose all our samples.

Think I want the eruptor first, it's always the most fun when I manage to grab one off of someone. Eruptor + grenade pistol+ Quasar or GL+mortars might be suboptimal in terms of overspecialization but it's the nonstop explosions I crave.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Didn't the devs make a twitter or discord post saying that damage falloff won't ever exist because of engine limitations?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I thought damage falloff wasn't a thing, but also never paid attention to it.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
After extensive testing of every weapon I can conclusively say the senator is the best gun in the game. I will not be taking questions.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

FunkyFjord posted:

Didn't the devs make a twitter or discord post saying that damage falloff won't ever exist because of engine limitations?

IIRC it was that they can't do stagger falloff to balance the slugger.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As I've said before, my default loadout is Eagle Airstrikes, an orbital railgun, an autocannon, and either a mortar turret for bots or an autocannon turret for bugs. Gives me solid all-range firepower against structures and light/medium hordes while ensuring I can also help thin out the heavies by deleting them with my railgun or wearing them down with my cannon, airstrikes, and turret. Pretty sure I'm usually a helpful contributor to whatever team I'm on.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

After extensive testing of every weapon I can conclusively say the dagger is the best gun in the game. I will not be taking questions.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Sometimes team comp isn’t even a factor for difficulty, and the game just hands you a win on a silver platter. I ran a bot 7 last night where we cleared the whole map yet saw zero tanks, zero offensive buildings (turrets/jammers/etc), and a grand total of 5 or 6 hulks. It was all jetpack troopers and berserkers. We had 6 total deaths and at least half of them were friendly fire.

Of course, sometimes it does the opposite and punishes you for your hubris.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

After extensive testing of every weapon I can conclusively say the senator is the best gun in the game. I will not be taking questions.

:hmmyes:

They’re a Super Senator better listen to what they have to say.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

FunkyFjord posted:

It was stagger fall-off for the Slugger. Damage fall-off definitely exists as proven by the Breaker Spray and Pray which falls off so hard it might as well be an extended melee weapon

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Insert name here posted:

It was stagger fall-off for the Slugger. Damage fall-off definitely exists as proven by the Breaker Spray and Pray which falls off so hard it might as well be an extended melee weapon

Does the damage actually fall off or do the pellets just disperse wide enough that they don't all hit at range? It seems like there is no damage ramp up or falloff based on how far away you can shoot single bullets from and how consistently they seem to work.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Question Time posted:

One trick I've used a couple of times is to bring mortars - they're OK by themselves, but their real utility is in teamkilling. Better to kick the idiot early after he gets killed by my mortars a few times then let him delete all our reinforcements and lose all our samples.

I mean this is 100% on you? The Mortar turret is an AI teamkill machine and it's generally not the fault of the person getting TK'd. If you are demanding that every single person keep every single enemy outside of mortar splash range it's no wonder you are failing 7's.

On 7+ the game sometimes decides you just need ALL the berzerkers/chargers/tanks/hulks and bile titans right the gently caress now, throwing a random mortar into that mix causes more problems than it solves. Most players would rather you bring something even moderately useful like an orbital laser, your choice of eagles, or if you are really die hard on bringing an indirect bloop machine bring an EMS, it's always welcome.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I was one of the people who thought that Warbond releases didn't have any effect on the bug fixes, but LOL they just admitted in Discord that it does.

I would personally support the devs taking a month off, Operation Health style, and just cleaning up the backlog. 3 more guns (2 of which will be niche or just plain crappy) and 3 armors with the same stats as other armor isn't going to delight me the 4th time around.

They need to keep their content release cadence or the popularity of the game will fall off. The correct answer is to do both by spending some of the giant pile of money they just got to expand the team. If they’re not set up to scale, that will be painful. But, it’s the answer.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Reiley posted:

Does the damage actually fall off or do the pellets just disperse wide enough that they don't all hit at range? It seems like there is no damage ramp up or falloff based on how far away you can shoot single bullets from and how consistently they seem to work.
We can tell damage falloff exists for bullets because the Diligence CS will always oneshot devastator heads at close range and never outside that.

Which also gives a pretty good idea of exactly how much HP devastator heads have!

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
Lately for Quick-play Bugs I've been doing:

Eruptor for all the reasons in the previous post +Anti Bile Spewer
Redeemer rarely for when bugs get close
Flamethrower (Always Host)+ Stun Grenades for dealing with Chargers or just tossing out a spray if running from many bug
500kg for Bile Titans (Could sub this for Orbital Railcannon if somehow you can trust the team for BT-killing)
Laser Rover-Dog because it's just honestly the best Bug backpack once you learn to minimize Rover-Dog's Voracious Lust for Killing
Last Strategem flex slot, I've been taking AC Turret lately. If subbing in Orbital Railcannon above, I'd do Clusters or Napalm. I don't like taking more than one Eagle Strategem at a time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Question Time posted:

Trying to do 7s to start getting those super rares, sometimes it seems easy and sometimes we lose. Had some fire tornado 6's with 3-strategems only that were significantly harder than most 7s, and the real trouble I have on 7s is with extracting with the supers.

I think the team comp thing is key. Need a couple people to do crowd/medium control and a couple people to do heavy killing, otherwise you get overrun by the one you aren't specialized against. I can't solo on 7+ the way I can on 5s.

Think I want the eruptor first, it's always the most fun when I manage to grab one off of someone. Eruptor + grenade pistol+ Quasar or GL+mortars might be suboptimal in terms of overspecialization but it's the nonstop explosions I crave.
Wait your solution for bringing a bunch of teamkilling weaponry is to kick the people getting teamkilled instead of bringing literally anything else?

Like sure, go for an all-explosion gimmick if you want but your difficulty clearing 7s isn't coming from your teammates, their gear, ir RNG from drops here.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Reiley posted:

It's been a while since I used it but the spread isn't that large. Anyway here's a reddit thread of someone testing the defender's drop off (spoiler: it exists but is pretty much negligible): https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bwbo78/guns_lose_damage_over_distance_as_soon_as_they/

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Sindai posted:

We can tell damage falloff exists for bullets because the Diligence CS will always oneshot devastator heads at close range and never outside that.

Which also gives a pretty good idea of exactly how much HP devastator heads have!
Lol I totally forgot about the CS only 1-tapping devastator heads up to like a whole 15m or something

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Even as someone who tries to keep track of mortars when they're deployed, the idea that I would be kicked if I died to them is extremely petty, lol.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Wait your solution for bringing a bunch of teamkilling weaponry is to kick the people getting teamkilled instead of bringing literally anything else?

Like sure, go for an all-explosion gimmick if you want but your difficulty clearing 7s isn't coming from your teammates, their gear, ir RNG from drops here.

Right? The Mortar Turret is such an edge case on usefulness outside of one very specific mission that I've openly asked people to please bring something else.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Question Time posted:

Yeah uh... what? If you're talking for bots I'll simply disagree. Mortar is good for bots and TKs from it are relatively rare because you should be at range most of the time. But it can still happen through no fault of your own.

If you're using that criteria for bugs then sorry, you're the baddie in that situation. All that bugs want to do is get up in your business, and if that mortar locks onto a pouncer that's leaping at you, a patrol approaching from a bad angle, or a charger that's doing as it's name implies you can get gibbed through no fault of your own. Bringing the non-EMS mortar on bugs is not a good idea, and if you're doing it to intentionally TK people and kick them for being an "idiot" you may want to take a look in the mirror first

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I just blow up teammates mortars if they toss them in a very dumb fashion. Kick me I guess.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
My strategy for extracting 7s with samples is to simply not die over and over trying to get a single common sample 5 minutes into a mission and to hit da bricks when my team tries to die over and over again with less than 5 minutes left.

Edit: ^ Same

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Ravenfood posted:

I think the SMG, shotguns, and Sickle are all fine sidearms for the autocannon against bots. The Sickle is great for clearing trash at further ranges, the shotguns give you the ability to hold your ground against berserkers and sometimes devs depending on your shotgun choices with stagger, and the SMG is like a weaker (imo) Sickle that like you said lets you fire against anyone that gets close while retreating. All three decent and I've swapped back and forth many times, settling more on the Sickle just because its so versatile.

I've been settling on this loadout regardless of bug or bot:
In-pod: Sickle, grenade pistol, stun grenades
Stratagems: Autocannon, orbital laser, Eagle airstrike, and Eagle 500kg as my fourth/optional strategem.

The Sickle provides me with a last-ditch medium capability if my luck and aim are just good enough for medium/heavy weakspots. I do miss being able to charge *into* berserkers with the Breaker though, whereas with the Sickle I have to back away or just disengage. I've been hearing good things about the 120/380mm 15% radius reduction and their effectiveness against AT-AT 2.0s, so I might switch the orbital laser for a barrage stratagem.

I just can't quit 3x Eagle airstrikes. There's just something about close air dropping six Mk 82s into a medium/heavy patrol/bot fab/bug nest/anything that doesn't require a Hellbomb to kill that's so satisfying even though there are likely more effective Stratagems out there.

I also can't quit the autocannon. It just does everything decently.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Yeah uh... what? If you're talking for bots I'll simply disagree. Mortar is good for bots and TKs from it are relatively rare because you should be at range most of the time. But it can still happen through no fault of your own.

If you're using that criteria for bugs then sorry, you're the baddie in that situation. All that bugs want to do is get up in your business, and if that mortar locks onto a pouncer that's leaping at you, a patrol approaching from a bad angle, or a charger that's doing as it's name implies you can get gibbed through no fault of your own. Bringing the non-EMS mortar on bugs is not a good idea, and if you're doing it to intentionally TK people and kick them for being an "idiot" you may want to take a look in the mirror first

I've just died far too many times even on bots to the thing to think it's a better calldown than most of the other standards. Sure I can call it down outside of a base or I can just chuck a laser or a 380 and leave for a bit. It's just not good enough outside of that one specific defense mission to bring over something else.

BadLlama posted:

I just blow up teammates mortars if they toss them in a very dumb fashion. Kick me I guess.

I've absolutely done this.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

ArmyGroup303 posted:

I've been settling on this loadout regardless of bug or bot:
In-pod: Sickle, grenade pistol, stun grenades
Stratagems: Autocannon, orbital laser, Eagle airstrike, and Eagle 500kg as my fourth/optional strategem.

The Sickle provides me with a last-ditch medium capability if my luck and aim are just good enough for medium/heavy weakspots. I do miss being able to charge *into* berserkers with the Breaker though, whereas with the Sickle I have to back away or just disengage. I've been hearing good things about the 120/380mm 15% radius reduction and their effectiveness against AT-AT 2.0s, so I might switch the orbital laser for a barrage stratagem.

I just can't quit 3x Eagle airstrikes. There's just something about close air dropping six Mk 82s into a medium/heavy patrol/bot fab/bug nest/anything that doesn't require a Hellbomb to kill that's so satisfying even though there are likely more effective Stratagems out there.

I also can't quit the autocannon. It just does everything decently.

We are the exact same, but swap out autocannon for quasar, and the 500kg sometimes I do railstrike over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

They should release a helmet that's just a normal helmet with a cowboy hat on top

Also, more importantly, add a speedloader or something to the Senator.