Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah the "it works!" aspects of some of the earlier PUA stuff was just inspiring confidence and encouraging just asking. If you significantly increase the number of people you talk to it makes sense you'll get more people willing to take a shot with you even if you're actually more of a shitgoblin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Platystemon posted:

Now read the bit about what to do when two numbers appear in the same clause.
the complaint wasn't that they did it too close together, it was

Platystemon posted:

Also, anyone who spells out “six” but uses numerals for ten is deranged.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hm, if only there were some thing, like maybe an emotion, that might cause people to clench their fists.

Alas, no such thing exists, anyone who's ever made a fist has nerological damage. The woman who chained herself to the wrong door at Twitter HQ said so, so it's gotta be true.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I wish SPR was here to call you all idiots

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
its ok we know

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
PUA poo poo “works” because every once in a while they run into some poor young woman who has self esteem problems and will just say “gently caress it” and let him have his way after enough browbeating. It’s like saying torturing for information “works” because sometimes the person being tortured just so happens to give up relevant facts like 1% of the time.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

emSparkly posted:

PUA poo poo “works” because every once in a while they run into some poor young woman who has self esteem problems and will just say “gently caress it” and let him have his way after enough browbeating. It’s like saying torturing for information “works” because sometimes the person being tortured just so happens to give up relevant facts like 1% of the time.

Yeah

Someone post that bullet hole in a plane graphic

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

rodbeard posted:

Same, RIP

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Neito posted:

Hm, if only there were some thing, like maybe an emotion, that might cause people to clench their fists.

Alas, no such thing exists, anyone who's ever made a fist has nerological damage. The woman who chained herself to the wrong door at Twitter HQ said so, so it's gotta be true.

Using a still image to show "look his fists are clenched!" is also just an insane way to go about this. It reminds me of how weird transphobes will use pictures of Elliot Page frowning at one point during a recent interview and smiling pre-transition on the red carpet as evidence that he is miserable now, because humans could not possibly have multiple emotions.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I have one emotion but I won't tell you which

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Maybe he’s just stimming. I swear neurotypicals make such a big deal out of it smh.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
PUA works on the surface level of it is better to do X than Y. I'm not talking about negging or peacocking or some such bullshit but the idea of making eye contact, ask questions, mimic movements, speak softly, those kind of things. These "techniques" are found outside the PUA community (just look at anyone in sales) and are surface level good things for anyone trying to hold a conversation. This is not to excuse PUA and their garbage views but just to say there is some very basic skills that shouldn't be discarded. When you start getting further than that though it gets very dicey.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to sound like a car salesman I guess.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Madkal posted:

PUA works on the surface level of it is better to do X than Y. I'm not talking about negging or peacocking or some such bullshit but the idea of making eye contact, ask questions, mimic movements, speak softly, those kind of things. These "techniques" are found outside the PUA community (just look at anyone in sales) and are surface level good things for anyone trying to hold a conversation. This is not to excuse PUA and their garbage views but just to say there is some very basic skills that shouldn't be discarded. When you start getting further than that though it gets very dicey.

Yeah, that’s basically it. Like, I know two guys, neither of whom are in any way related to PUA bullshit. One is one of the grossest dudes I’ve ever met, and the other is basically an unsuccessful con artist who happens to know how to play the cello. Somehow, they’re both very good at getting dates. Take either one to a party and seemingly against all sense and logic they’ll draw half the women in the room to them and will walk away with a few numbers. The thing they’re really good at is coming across as fun, confident, and also mysterious. Ooh these boys must have such hidden depths! (They don’t.) PUA bullshit is based around trying to figure out how to replicate that essence

Don’t get me wrong, a lot of the “how” is just stupid or toxic and the community absolutely deserves the bad reputation it has, but it’s not all completely made up

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It turns out you have more success when you attempt something than when you don't.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
PUA poo poo only works until it doesn't, and then the woman is a frigid bitch or modern women are too uptight or woke mind virus or whatever the absolute gently caress.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Push El Burrito posted:

It turns out you have more success when you attempt something than when you don't.

A lesson no incel has ever learned

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Time to pull out the ol' fave

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to sound like a car salesman I guess.
"I'd stand on my head to make you a deal!"

You've gotta flail your arms around a bit like those car lot dancing air-powered things while wearing an impossibly-patterned coat to pull this off, mind.

stringless has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Apr 17, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't like pick up artists either, but it seems a little harsh to compare a dude in a stupid hat negging a random woman at a bar to Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

Yeah, you're right. My apologies to Bill.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If this conversation on incels then pick up artists turn into one about ska this thread will no longer be salvageable

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I've never listened to ska, does anyone have any recommendations?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

tokin opposition posted:

Nope; you're on the right track.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

never had to, knock on wood

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only ska we care to listen to precedes doosh when Po is kicking rear end.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
please leave the teletubbies out of your degeneracy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

It’s true Liberals yearn for the return of guilds

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Skios posted:

I know this is shooting fish in a barrel when it comes to IosM content, but gently caress it:

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1779493732720545845

Describing the regime that was overthrown in 1979 as 'a flawed monarchy with democratic principles' is just too good not to post.

every time someone posts a pic of Iran or Afghanistan to show how good it used to be several decades ago the takeaway is always "it was better because women dressed sexier"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

It's hard out here for a conservative bront

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mx. posted:

It's hard out here for a conservative bront

My son is also named bront

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

tokin opposition posted:

I legit wonder what % incels will eventually just transition given how dysphoric they all seem to be

This is actually a not insignificant number of 4chan trans people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAA1XtDOuH8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dialhforhero posted:

Recognizing the problem is pretty important.

It may also be important to note that curiously it seems that most incels are all cis white middle/upper middle class.

What I am saying is: the suburbs are to blame.

You're not wrong. Suburbs gently caress people up. When you don't have any meaningful ability to leave the house except when your parents drive you...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The Boomhauer scene where he shows Bobby how he picks up women lol.

Genuinely the best skill he has is the ability to accept rejection in passing. Another big thing with incels is being terrified of rejection. A lot of poorly treated neurodivergence is probably involved.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

rodbeard posted:

Sex Pig Randy will be along shortly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Let me just take a drink of my coffee while I look up what happened to SPR.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Funny story actually,

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I miss all my posting friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who is spr