Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When I started reading comics one of my holes was X-Men. I was a big Marvel guy but outside of a few X-Men guest starring in events or showing up in other comics in the late 80s and early 90s the first thing I really ever saw that was X-Men only was Pryde of the X-Men. Rented the VHS from Blockbuster. And proceeded to rent it over and over again any time my parents went there. Even as a comic reader it was my first real intro to the X-Men and I loved it. To this day Colossus is still my favorite largely on the back of the cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gavok posted:

I still think that it's rather fascinating that through five and a half seasons, the X-Men cartoon never introduced Kitty Pryde, the character who the initial X-Men cartoon pilot was named after.

Kitty's job had been taken by Jubilee, just like Jubilee was eventually replaced by movie Rogue and then Armor and so on

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They could intro Kitty as part of an Excalibur episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Would be nice to see Deadpool in an actual speaking role. He shows up a couple of times in the original series but it's primarily when Wolverine is having flashbacks

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like sands through the hour glass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0iF8o_oaSc

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Kitty Pryde was a major character in X-Men Evolution and she was a lot of fun in that, had a series-long romance arc with one of the guys in the Brotherhood

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If Kitty Pryde /Shadowcat comes back, she needs that mini dragon or whatever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lockheed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_(character)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kitty and Illyana ran off together.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

Kitty Pryde was a major character in X-Men Evolution and she was a lot of fun in that, had a series-long romance arc with one of the guys in the Brotherhood

Lance/Avalanche. Kitty is one of the best parts of Evo for sure and their romance was a great part of it as well. Hard to quantify such things of course but at least from years of posting online, I think Kitty and Rogue were the most beloved characters.

It's something I've been thinking a lot about lately - who are the most popular X-Men? Wolverine is obvious and beyond dispute but after him, I really don't know. Somebody on Reddit asked about if Jean Grey is more popular than Emma Frost and the thread proceeded to discuss how Jean is in basically anything and everything X-Men related. Video games, TV, movies - she's always there in some form or other. Emma can in no way compare.

So we got Wolverine and Jean. After that, I got nothing. I know some comic fans have always expressed surprise about Gambit in TAS because apparently, he's never been a "key' or long-term member of the X-Men, or something. So I guess he's not super popular? Although this show might have helped his popularity a ton.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 17, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I didn't like the Xmen97 theme at first but it's been growing on me. The drums really adds to the vibe

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How could anyone not like the X-men theme?

It's the X-men theme!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NikkolasKing posted:

Lance/Avalanche. Kitty is one of the best parts of Evo for sure and their romance was a great part of it as well. Hard to quantify such things of course but at least from years of posting online, I think Kitty and Rogue were the most beloved characters.

It's something I've been thinking a lot about lately - who are the most popular X-Men? Wolverine is obvious and beyond dispute but after him, I really don't know. Somebody on Reddit asked about if Jean Grey is more popular than Emma Frost and the thread proceeded to discuss how Jean is in basically anything and everything X-Men related. Video games, TV, movies - she's always there in some form or other. Emma can in no way compare.

So we got Wolverine and Jean. After that, I got nothing. I know some comic fans have always expressed surprise about Gambit in TAS because apparently, he's never been a "key' or long-term member of the X-Men, or something. So I guess he's not super popular? Although this show might have helped his popularity a ton.
Does Deadpool count

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wolverine, Storm, Kitty, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Colossus would be up there IMO. (Also would be a solid team in the comics)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Infinitum posted:

How could anyone not like the X-men theme?

It's the X-men theme!

X-Men! (X-Men!)
This is our day!
X-Men! (X-Men!)
Comin' your way!

Magneto's hordes are on their way to pillage, burn and plunder
But there's one team that will not yield, the team that strikes like thunder!

That one been stuck in my head for 30 years now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

X-Men! (X-Men!)
This is our day!
X-Men! (X-Men!)
Comin' your way!

Magneto's hordes are on their way to pillage, burn and plunder
But there's one team that will not yield, the team that strikes like thunder!

That one been stuck in my head for 30 years now.

:same:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, Rogue and Gambit are massively popular, though I've never really understood why, neither do anything for me. Team Scott, Jean, Ororo, Illyana, and Kurt all the way for me.

I can never bring myself to include Emma because she'll always be that fucker who barbecued Firestar's horse.

:colbert:

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I would assume Storm and Cyclops would make any list of favorites

It would almost certainly depend on if you're polling people in a comic shop or the general public who knows the characters from the movies etc

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I will never not post the Japanese opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKQHN4BFd4

deal with it

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

angerbot posted:

I will never not post the Japanese opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKQHN4BFd4

deal with it

It's a great intro but god that AI upscaling looks horrible compared even to a lower quality one

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

An X-Team featuring my faves would be a three issue series because it would be cancelled so fast. I tend to like undervalued characters a lot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

X-O posted:

An X-Team featuring my faves would be a three issue series because it would be cancelled so fast. I tend to like undervalued characters a lot.

I feel you. I like Cypher, the mutant whose power is being able to understand any language, but he gets misused so badly. Language is about more than properly applying tenses and syntax and having a sufficient vocabulary, all that poo poo is just linguistics. Language is communicating meaning, intent, ideas, expectations, the entire spectrum of human thought and emotion, with strange throat sounds and weird body motions, and every culture does it differently. Simply understanding the words someone is using makes him a human Google Translate, and magically giving him the ability to understand the rest is just roundabout telepathy and boring. And don't even get me started on that "hyuk math is just another language" hurfdurf

Cypher should be like Forge, someone whose power works decently enough on its own but is enormously expanded through study and experience. A Cypher series where he travels the world on a quest to encounter every culture he can, speak every language in its native environment, communicate with people on their own terms, would be my jam of jams. A classic "wandering adventurer" format, with a man whose mission virtually by nature would lead him to get into interesting situations wherever he went. Toss in a stalwart traveling companion or two and you've got... comic book lead, because an introspective, dialogue-heavy book about communication and interpersonal relations with low-at-best action potential would go over like rats on rye.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, Rogue and Gambit are massively popular, though I've never really understood why, neither do anything for me. Team Scott, Jean, Ororo, Illyana, and Kurt all the way for me.

I think the movie does more to help Rouge's characterization, young girl, wants to see the world but is a bit naive and I think the cartoon dovetailed that with falling for the wrong person. She is someone who is literally denied experiencing people and places because of her power and status as a mutant.

Psylocke is the real, I will never get it X-Person for me.

Also, I think Elixir is an underrater X-Team person who could have tons of great stories. Also, bring us Rockslide please.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://x.com/XMenUpdate/status/1780356495634227495

quote:

‘MARVEL STUDIOS' ASSEMBLED: THE MAKING OF #XMEN97’ will premiere on Disney+ on May 22.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll have you know that we got live-action Emma Frost years before we got live-action Jean!

...oh man, that TV movie was not good.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, Rogue and Gambit are massively popular, though I've never really understood why

I believe they are widely considered the two sexiest X-People, thus making them massively popular. I think it really is that simple.

When I was a kid, Gambit was cool. Trench coat, throwing cards at people, Cajun-ness, and so on. Not like that meathead Wolverine or turbonerd Cyclops.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

i want to buy those cards

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sash! posted:

When I was a kid, Gambit was cool. Trench coat, throwing cards at people, Cajun-ness, and so on. Not like that meathead Wolverine or turbonerd Cyclops.

Yeah, plus the Bo staff, explosives, cool accent, and superhot girlfriend. He's made to appeal to preteen boys and it worked really well with the kids I grew up with.

I think people liked Rogue cause of the Southern acccent and interesting powerset. One of the strongest Xmen but comes with a huge drawback.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Away all Goats posted:

I think people liked Rogue cause of the Southern acccent

Certainly it was memorable

"Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs" has lived rent free in my head for 30 years

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I forget did the Animated Series explain how she got her super strength and flight. I know in the comics it's because she permently stole Carol Danver's (aka Ms Marvel at the time) powers. But I forget if the show explained that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, Rogue and Gambit are massively popular, though I've never really understood why

Gambit has a similar “gruff antihero with a sordid past” texture to Wolverine, except he’s hot and suave and clearly fucks (I mean, not Rogue specifically, but they obviously would if they could.) Rogue likewise has a really outspoken charisma, but is an absolute tank in fights, with a ton of tragic history for dramatic gravitas. I get why they’re both popular. Fun as gently caress accents, too.

Though I think the real X-Men sell is that the roster is so varied, everyone has a specific guy. Wolverine is the clear breakout, but everyone I know has the one not-that-important guy they just really like. For some reason, I really liked Angel and Nightcrawler as a kid, despite the latter’s constant goddamn sermonizing.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

X-O posted:

They could intro Kitty as part of an Excalibur episode.

I want, more than anything, to see the early Excalibur team adapted. Movie, cartoon, I don't care, but give it to me.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

MonsterEnvy posted:

I forget did the Animated Series explain how she got her super strength and flight. I know in the comics it's because she permently stole Carol Danver's (aka Ms Marvel at the time) powers. But I forget if the show explained that.

They did. She's in a coma and presumably if she ever wakes, Rogue loses most of her oomph

She must have borrowed someone else's Having a Huge Can power and it wore off

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pretty good episode. Lots of big stuff happening.

Xavier is returning, Sinister was behind Genosha, Storm repowered. Not in this actual episode at all but the ever-changing credits reveals a new X-Men: Kurt. Excited for that, too.

Interesting note: Xavier only senses Gambit's death, not the death of his lifelong dearest friend. I wanna go out on a limb and say this hints at Magneto being alive.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Just watched episode 6... did earth get mindwiped of Xavier or not?

Edit:

NikkolasKing posted:

Not in this actual episode at all but the ever-changing credits reveals a new X-Men: Kurt. Excited for that

Please let this be true

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 17, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Just watched episode 6... did earth get mindwiped of Xavier or not?

I was wondering about that at first, too. But the dialogue seems to be that it's all on Xavier. Nobody on Earth is affected, it was only his memories which were to be altered. I was thinking "if all of Earth forgets him, that will lead to catastrophe" but I don't think that was ever the intention.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Episode 6 stuff. So it feels like they had a pretty clean way of explaining why everyone thought he was dead here that they brought up and then didn't use.

It just seems odd cause obviously the end of the old show has him going into space to be saved, here, until this episode, it seemed like they were soft retconning that to be "no he just died on earth and everyone saw that" since everyone is entirely 100% sure he's definitely dead and people like Gyrich are taunting the X-Men about it. Instead it turns out he did go into space and the assumption I guess is that the X-Men and everyone else all thought he'd died since he just didn't bother calling them?

That aside, I always hate when shows have something huge happen and then the next episode moves onto some other stuff. Also my eyes glaze over whenever Shiar stuff comes up in any medium, always feels like a weird fit with the X-Men. Even in this episode they just seem like utterly unreasonable idiots if they're gonna be lovely about Xavier going to visit his home planet because of a genocide, like the sister just tried to do a coup and Lilandra told Gladiator to arrest her and he seemed to be on board with that (in the comics he's generally the deciding factor if he turns I think) so why the gently caress would her word mean poo poo to anyone?

Storm getting her powers back was cool though.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 17, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty good episode. Lots of big stuff happening.

Xavier is returning, Sinister was behind Genosha, Storm repowered. Not in this actual episode at all but the ever-changing credits reveals a new X-Men: Kurt. Excited for that, too.

Interesting note: Xavier only senses Gambit's death, not the death of his lifelong dearest friend. I wanna go out on a limb and say this hints at Magneto being alive.

He did sense the deaths of many mutants, Gambit was the primary one. Though I agree Magneto probably lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The most Claremont stuff yet; Charles confirmed pet play enthusiast with bird mommy