Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hasn't it been like 3 years since the Leafs have beat Boston at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Go make the loser thread and put this in the OP.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i willed boston-toronto to happen again just fyi

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Caps rangers is so tiring…again
I wish the NHL would mix up divisions every 5 years or something

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

reasons you should not root for the Rangers:

--our owner has deep contacts with Mossad-linked intelligence agencies and is pioneering using facial recognition at arenas. Strangely though, he does not appear to be doing this in service of Epstein-esque weird sex poo poo, but instead to spy and and ban people from MSG that he feels have personally aggrieved him

Sounds like the ultimate poster IMO.

Koopa Kid posted:

Leafs fans having a lil’ meltdown online about having to play Boston again and I’m doing my best to not tempt fate or imply anything, in any way, shape, or form, when I say

that

Florida was a better team than Boston this year

I think the problem is that Toronto was worse than both, but! Anything can happen (and won't).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

time for some good ol’ no caps posting

lgr!

pars
Sep 7, 2011
Seeing the Wings miss the playoffs over 2 teams with less wins and more OTL does feel a bit strange

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

41 goals shy of Gretzky starting next season

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Dolan absolutely has many fake social media accounts praising his musical talents and talking poo poo about Charles Oakley

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Boston is about as one dimensional as they're ever gonna get so if they can't shut down Pasta this year they're just never gonna beat them

The Leafs problem has always been that Keefe doesn’t understand how goals are actually scored and everything the Leafs do structurally makes life easy for the other team and harder for them, shutting down the opposition is secondary if you never score

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hasn't it been like 3 years since the Leafs have beat Boston at all?

If you’re talking regular season games that’s not true, their last win was November last season

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I was 12 when they won in 94, It’s all ive got, dont be a dick.

the Matteau game was my fourth birthday :). I don't remember anything other than the intros for some reason to that game and the game 7 against Vancouver.

Nearly two decades of one of the best goalies to ever play the game and a never ending parade of stars may not be a cup but I'd count it as something

Cups are good, sure, but have you ever had the pleasure of watching such stars on your team as:

Theo Fleury
Eric Lindros
Pavel Bure
Bobby Holik
Eric Staal
Patrick Kane
Olli Jokinen
Brendan Shanahan
Wayne Gretzky
Jari Kurri
Sandis Ozolins

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

have you ever had the pleasure of watching such stars on your team as:

Patrick Kane
Brendan Shanahan

I sure have

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was trying to be reconciliatory.

But yeah most of their stars were actually just horribly washed shadows of their former selves

But you left Gaborik off and gosh he was incredible the 10 games a year he was healthy. One of my favorites from that era

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Precambrian Video Games posted:

honestly, it's hard to get too mad at him. his particular quirks are just so strange. we don't hear from him for years and then he pops up on local news in bizarre interviews holding up Microsoft Word printouts of people he's feuding with:

Levitate posted:

Caps rangers is so tiring…again
I wish the NHL would mix up divisions every 5 years or something

on one hand, yeah, -40 goal differential. sick, maybe the ideal first round opponent.

on the other hand, we both have a load of karmic debt from ruining Ovechkin's shot at being considered as good as Crosby by beating him like 5 straight times in the playoffs.

and we are facing our ultimate nemesis: the backup goalie

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ave you ever had the pleasure of watching such stars on your team as:
Olli Jokinen
Wayne Gretzky
Jari Kurri
How far back are we allowed to go?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Alright it is kinda funny the Flyers ended 3 teams by pulling the goalie while tied

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

I was trying to be reconciliatory.

But yeah most of their stars were actually just horribly washed shadows of their former selves

But you left Gaborik off and gosh he was incredible the 10 games a year he was healthy. One of my favorites from that era

oh we have zero complaints about Gaborik. he was a sick signing, maybe like our second best ever behind Panarin. Trocheck is also quickly getting up there, insane season for him. I don't think any of us were fully onboard with trading him, although Brassard was a certified Big Game Playoff Player who meshed really well with Zuccarello and Pouliot in 2013-2014. and then he got us Mika. so also we can't be too mad about the trade.

although Gaborik was smoking hot in the 2014 playoffs and helped the Kings beat us. I always have had a lot of respect for Sutter because he somehow was the only coach in Gaborik's career seemingly to realize that he was an insane net-front garbage opportunity goal guy stuck in a speedskater's body. Kind of a lot like Kreider but from 5 feet further.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

:laffo:

Go Caps, let's have a 2019 style first round.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Tyler Myers has two short-handed goals this year.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I dunno after three consecutive florida-based playoff series Boston doesn't seem so bad, might as well lose in a change of scenery

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

shyduck posted:

Alright it is kinda funny the Flyers ended 3 teams by pulling the goalie while tied

pulling the goalie while tied seconds after already being technically eliminated from the playoffs!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

if I had told you at the beginning of the year that you would end the Penguins' playoff chances in the last game of the season, you would probably have thought "drat, well no way we're making the playoffs but I'll take that".

very funny that it's Torts that gets to do it considering his lifelong feud with the Pens organization. it's some of the first fresh blood injected into the feud in awhile, too. I'm guessing next year's games will be spicier, which should be fun

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Good soup! posted:

....was it though???

I mean it's far from a tank but lol I'm curious what some people were expecting, I ended up enjoying quite a bit this season and I don't think I've said that in years

I would have preferred a top draft pick, but a wining culture and playoff experience is valuable in its own way (see Buffalo eons of futility)

instead the Flyers get neither except choking dogshit garbage that sets back the team way too much

VVV Cooter aint going anywhere, no one is taking that contract

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 17, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

At least it'll probably get better or much worse when Couturier demands a trade this summer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I still can't believe all of that actually happened. Three absurdly exciting/tense/stupid Red Wings wins in a row, eliminated on a game winning empty net goal in another game. -37 lol

It's extremely funny

There's always a Wimpier Lo

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

grack posted:

What the heck, I just watched tonight's goal and that's no Tyler Myers I've known over the years.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm rootin for the Canes to make the finals because the Pens get a first if they do that. Other than that I don't much care. I guess it would be cool to see Nashville win or see McDavid win a cup

Yeah the Canes winning would be nice for them, I still want to will an all-canadian final into existence sometime in my lifetime.

Carver fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 17, 2024

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Caps are so awful, like 1/3rd the team is AHLers and one in particular, McIlrath, spent the whole dang night doing old time hockey and knocking random players over. When the one ref took a tumble I expected to see a replay of him hit sticking the dude

But now comes for the greatest thing left for this team to do: have undrafted 30 year old Lindgren do a Halak on the Rangers so Laviolette can do a bunch of Laviolette faces in exasperation

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

grack posted:

never in a million loving years lmfao wtf is this season

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Half of me is wondering why you'd hate Laviolette and the other half of me remembers I'd boo the poo poo out of Gallant on sight if I saw him, so I get it. I get it.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
I suppose that was enough chaos

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Best case scenerio: Kings finish in WC2, Canucks finish first in the West.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Mr. Kite posted:

Best case scenerio: Kings finish in WC2, Canucks finish first in the West.

no.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

well i just caught up and am sad about the Pens but at the same time the Caps getting in is really loving funny so :lol:

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Half of me is wondering why you'd hate Laviolette and the other half of me remembers I'd boo the poo poo out of Gallant on sight if I saw him, so I get it. I get it.

I’m not that surprised he has a few shorties, he is after all a pretty good skater, who isn’t exactly concerned with correct/safe defensive positioning.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I was out during the carnage but following along on my phone -- please tell me Philly pulled their goalie after the Wings tied the game, because it would mean they brought two other teams down with them for absolutely no reason.

What an awesome end to the season.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

fisting by many posted:

I was out during the carnage but following along on my phone -- please tell me Philly pulled their goalie after the Wings tied the game, because it would mean they brought two other teams down with them for absolutely no reason.

What an awesome end to the season.

That is correct. Torts says he didn't hear about the Wings OT until right after the Caps scored the ENG.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1780443797656146251

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Zat posted:

That is correct. Torts says he didn't hear about the Wings OT until right after the Caps scored the ENG.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1780443797656146251

I love hockey.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps ceiling is stealing one round on Charlie's back. 0% chance they do more than that.

More realistic scenario injuring a Ranger while getting swept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
For the Caps the blueprint for upsetting the Rags is going be look a lot like how the 2010 Habs beat the Caps in round 1:

-Get an early lead off of a counter attacking goal or two then choke the life out of the game, relying on Lindgren to bail them out when the dam breaks.

-Hope the refs swallow their whistles and the series is largely played 5 on 5, as the Rangers are clear favorites in the special teams battle, their power play is lethal and has gotten them back into many games in which they were largely outplayed at 5v5.

It will almost certainly take 7 for the Caps to win as there will inevitably be a few games where the Rangers just run roughshod over them even if they do stick to their game plan as the talent disparity is clear and the Caps are not a team you can count on to rally from multiple goal deficits against good teams.

Bonus points: have Tom Wilson or one of the Caps' career AHLers take Panarin/Fox out of the series early with a flying elbow, as even if they eat a lengthy suspension those two players for the Rangers are far more important to their success tha any one guy for the Caps save maybe Strome. TO BE CLEAR I am not a Caps fan nor am I advocating for this and think this is a bullshit strategy but we all know how these things go in the playoffs and how little the NHL does to protect their star players.