Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flashman posted:

After three years and 300 dollars you can have all the features of a 20 year old game

Sounds good I’m in for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jimbot posted:

Didn't the end of Reaper of Souls cause a world-wide apocalypse that wiped out most of humanity? Or is that some headcanon thing someone came up with? Either way, might explain why things are in decline.

It's also like this because Diablo IV feels like a "back to the roots" sort of game - a remixed Diablo 2. There were scattered towns in severe decline, non-existent or under siege where in that game and you visit each one hunting an ultra powerful being. It's why all but one of the classes are repeats from 2.

Reminds me of Guild Wars 2 where public events would change the area slightly if you failed to meet the objectives: would make certain areas enemy infested strongholds but if you cleared them they became areas for players to rest and sell stuff.

They sort of retconned it to only half of humanity with the majority of the death being in Westmarch. That regions probably even more hosed than Caldeum.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think a clever team could figure out how to make thematic stronghold pieces that get randomly stitched together in a sensible way. It would just be more work; you'd have to create a pool of events that pertain to one theme instead of being eligible for placement in any dungeon.

the "clever team" is i'm sure intentional and also doing a lot of heavy lifting. but yeah agreed

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Node posted:

I liked Westmarch in Reaper of Souls. Honestly I think having a giant metropolis as big as one of the regions in D4 would be cool.

Yeah that could be fun, so long as it was easy to zoomed around on horse

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Merc cosmetic sales are too tantalizing for that not to happen

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Ehud posted:

it's time to start adding stupid poo poo to D4

where are the activision bizzard cross-promotions?

we need COD and Overwatch skins in D4

put master chief and banjo-kazooie in diablo 4

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm not sure why anyone in 2024 would want mercs. I mean, the S3 robutt is basically a merc and that's gone so well...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bio347 posted:

I'm not sure why anyone in 2024 would want mercs. I mean, the S3 robutt is basically a merc and that's gone so well...

why not

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What happened with the robot?? I only played S3 for a few weeks but it was insanely overpowered at the time

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bio347 posted:

That's not how they do it in Kingsport.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What happened with the robot?? I only played S3 for a few weeks but it was insanely overpowered at the time
It’s still pretty good if you spec it right and buff it through your build. Like, there are legit videos of the thing solo’ing Uber Lilith in 5 minutes while the player runs in circles.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

personally i don't like abstracted, non player controlled power. especially if it becomes an expectation that the developers have to account for as ever-present

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

harrygomm posted:

personally i don't like abstracted, non player controlled power. especially if it becomes an expectation that the developers have to account for as ever-present
This is how I feel too. Also the robutt would act funny and draw enemies out of my AoE attacks/debuffs which I found annoying. Like I honestly felt like it took longer to clear crowds with the robutt following me around to the point I deleted my Barbarian, started over, and never did the S3 quest line.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
You could've just made the robot buff and heal you, and not attack at all.

(After getting the right RNG stone drops anyway)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Paying2Lurk posted:

You could've just made the robot buff and heal you, and not attack at all.

(After getting the right RNG stone drops anyway)
I did do that. It doesnt stop the bot from drawing a crowd/splitting mobs. And occasionally tricking me into thinking its a bad guy. I just didnt like it.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I did do that. It doesnt stop the bot from drawing a crowd/splitting mobs. And occasionally tricking me into thinking its a bad guy. I just didnt like it.

empty quote

i can't play minion builds because my dumb brain always thinks they're enemies. i probably spent half my time couch co-op'ing attack my druid partner

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I never really liked mercenaries. In D3 it felt like an annoying gear tax if you wanted to climb. Needless to say I satisfied myself with going no further than like GR100 or so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do you get a title for doing all the side quests in a specific region?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

unattended spaghetti posted:

I never really liked mercenaries. In D3 it felt like an annoying gear tax if you wanted to climb.

Agreed, OP.

If I want followers I’ll play a class that has followers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mode 7 posted:

[*] Horse came very late in the game

While this does suck if you have no interest in the campaign, I think this is a necessity for campagin-doers. The game would be awful if you always had the horse.

(I was actually really surprised the horse lets you ignore packs. I assumed it would be like WoW where you have to stick to roads and give mobs a wide berth.)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

That's a valid point, I think it could have been dropped an act earlier or so and been fine though. I think the placement of it felt off for me because early in the game where I was still actively pursuing side content I was like "hrmm, having a mount to get around quicker/easier would help" and by the time I finally actually got the mount, I had hit a point where I didn't want to do any more side content. For me, at least, the pacing felt off.

It's always interesting thinking about ARPG campaign design given the mixed space they occupy of being both a vague tutorial/on-ramp to the endgame content and also for many players the only part of the game they will ever play. Kind of like story modes in fighting games, I guess.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mustached Demon posted:

Like 50% of humanity died at the end of reaper. Upwards of 90% the closer you get to Westmarch. D4 isn't the same continent as Westmarch though so who knows how much it was affected.
Is this a thing from a book or something? Either way the nephilim from D3 took all the prime and lesser evils off the table for a considerable amount of time, and the heavens aren't in the shape to do much either. It just seems weird everything fell apart and seemingly stayed that way despite there being a reasonably long window of no major influence by the Heavens or Hells.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

MarcusSA posted:

Do you get a title for doing all the side quests in a specific region?

it's been a long time, but i think what you get is titles for completing specific quest chains. like you get something like "The Bear" for completing the bear clan quests in snow zone. The collections tab should mention where to pick up the titles. There might be a meta one for doing all five zones 100% i think?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

harrygomm posted:

it's been a long time, but i think what you get is titles for completing specific quest chains. like you get something like "The Bear" for completing the bear clan quests in snow zone. The collections tab should mention where to pick up the titles. There might be a meta one for doing all five zones 100% i think?

Thanks! I might try and 100% them all. I’m pretty close to it but finding some of the quests is kinda annoying.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I have been merc fan since d2. It is like a little friend going to hell with me as a job

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Mode 7 posted:

That's a valid point, I think it could have been dropped an act earlier or so and been fine though. I think the placement of it felt off for me because early in the game where I was still actively pursuing side content I was like "hrmm, having a mount to get around quicker/easier would help" and by the time I finally actually got the mount, I had hit a point where I didn't want to do any more side content. For me, at least, the pacing felt off.

FWIW I think the post-game just after completing the campaign is the best part of D4. That level 40-75 is a real sweet spot, and mostly what has kept me coming back each season so far. You've got a few interweaving goals and plenty of ways to accomplish them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dressing up your character with items is good, therefore having another character to put items on is even better. More items become exciting to find because they might also be good for your merc. A very simple concept.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Dressing up your character with items is good, therefore having another character to put items on is even better. More items become exciting to find because they might also be good for your merc. A very simple concept.

Yeah I don't get the anti-merc stance. There's been a ton of stuff discussed in here I don't understand though lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Is this a thing from a book or something? Either way the nephilim from D3 took all the prime and lesser evils off the table for a considerable amount of time, and the heavens aren't in the shape to do much either. It just seems weird everything fell apart and seemingly stayed that way despite there being a reasonably long window of no major influence by the Heavens or Hells.

Hmm, did they hire folks from the Fallout 4 team to do their world building?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

exquisite tea posted:

i'm not getting stronger from those items so i don't like it. A very simple concept.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You should find joy in helping others to succeed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

harrygomm posted:

i'm not getting stronger from those items so i don't like it. A very simple concept.

Incorrect.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

harrygomm posted:

Yeah this is wrong sorry

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Wouldn't mind clearing some dungeons with my buddy Waheed again.

Or I guess Waheed's great, great, great, etc grandchild.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

harrygomm posted:

Did you forget about act 2 merc auras?!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah honestly I can't recall a D3 build that doesn't benefit in some way from one of the 3 mercs.

You get tidy bonuses from auras, a cheat death, and either free healing or a big circle on the ground that gives you a damage bonus if you stand in it. Two if you give them an Occulus Ring. They don't account for much at lower power levels, but once you're pushing into higher GRifts that poo poo is absolutely mandatory.

On top of that one of the seasons bought in the Emanates property for a bunch of really amazing utility gear, meaning the legendary power applies to all members of the party. This allows you to take advantage of that stuff without having to find a way to incorporate it into your build. Again, if you're trying to push greater rifts without Nemesis Bracers, or farming paragon and upgrade mats without Cains/Sages set bonuses for additional XP and Deaths Breaths you're absolutely doing poo poo the hard way.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paying2Lurk posted:

Wouldn't mind clearing some dungeons with my buddy Waheed again.

Or I guess Waheed's great, great, great, etc grandchild.

Waheeder? I love that guy!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They add a nice little bit of npc chatter, too

Our JUST reward!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Do you know whether the sorceress is currently seeing anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
did they patch the game or something? i just did my weekly gauntlet and i didn't one shot a single boss and sometimes wasn't one shotting elites. i haven't changed any gear or skills in whatever it's been since before the gauntlet came out. monster level is the same. it's a two button build idk how i did so badly