Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Mordja posted:

is there a term yet for this and Pizza Tower's kind of hyperkinetic, 90s stylings?

Ha, had a look at Yellow Taxi's steam page just now and their paid streamer is literally in some kind of crazy pizza world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don’t overlook Starcom: Nexus as a star-control-like.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

The Lone Badger posted:

It and the sequel are both good!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I got around to playing Battlebit because a) its $7.50 rn and b) they're going with a linux-friendly anticheat

here are my unsolicited half hour thoughts:

- man it feels nice playing a multiplayer shooter that has dedicated servers with their own rules
- no battlepass/other modern day trappings are also nice
- i really suck at PVP shooter games, woof. I mean, I don't think I was ever great when I played Battlefield 2 at age 17, but I think I'm somehow worse now at my current age.
- rush/bomb defusal game modes are back, and im happy
-simple graphics are actually pretty nice and I really enjoy the aesthetic.

also apparently this game is dying/dead but, at least in the americas, there's plenty going on during a week night?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The Lone Badger posted:

Starcom deez nuts

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Emily Post’s Manner Lords

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

even more May release dates got announced. it's easily become the biggest month of the entire year for indie games and there are some notable AAA titles as well:

May 2 - Surmount, Abiotic Factor, MotoGP 24, Foundry,
May 7 - Venture to the Vile, Prison Architect 2
May 8 - Indika, Pac-Man Chomp Champs, V Rising X Castlevania DLC
May 9 - Animal Well, Crow Country, Vampire Survivor X Contra DLC, Cryptmaster (IGF winner), 1000xRESIST (IGF winner), Gatekeeper
May 13 - Homeworld 3
May 14 - The Rogue Prince of Persia, Athenian Rhapsody, Touhou Genso Wanderer -FORESIGHT-

May 16 - Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut, Die by the Blade, Robobeat
May 21 - Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2, Paper Trail, Gestalt: Steam & Cinder, Pampas & Selene: The Maze of Demons
May 23 - Hauntii, Reus 2, Star Trek: Resurgence, Morbid 2: The Lords of Ire, Until Then
May 24 - SunnySide, Besiege DLC
May 30 - Selaco, Umbraclaw, Cozynauts, SKALD: Against the Black Priory

June is not nearly as crazy (maybe because no one wants to get in the way of the Elden Ring Erdtree DLC), but there is some notable stuff there too: Destiny 2 the Final Shape, ESO Gold Road, Life by You (the Sims-like), SMTV Vengeance, the Killer Klowns game, #BLUD, Still Wakes the Deep

and then a buuuunch of stuff with a Q2 release that is scheduled just after the time the Summer Games Fest and Steam Next Fest wrap up: Frogun Encore, Paper Perjury, The Garden Path, Mira & the Legend of the Djinns, Loco Motive, Tracks of Thought, Octopus City Blues, RKGK, Demonschool, Broken Sword Remake, Critter Cove, Pine Hearts, The End of the Sun

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 17, 2024

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

buglord posted:

I got around to playing Battlebit because a) its $7.50 rn and b) they're going with a linux-friendly anticheat

here are my unsolicited half hour thoughts:

- man it feels nice playing a multiplayer shooter that has dedicated servers with their own rules
- no battlepass/other modern day trappings are also nice
- i really suck at PVP shooter games, woof. I mean, I don't think I was ever great when I played Battlefield 2 at age 17, but I think I'm somehow worse now at my current age.
- rush/bomb defusal game modes are back, and im happy
-simple graphics are actually pretty nice and I really enjoy the aesthetic.

also apparently this game is dying/dead but, at least in the americas, there's plenty going on during a week night?

Man battlebit was SO GOOD when it first came out. It was HUGE.

But then everyone left. A few bad patches and general lack of content and everyone went poof.

On a personal level didn't help that several patches were targeted at things I liked specifically.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Man battlebit was SO GOOD when it first came out. It was HUGE.

But then everyone left. A few bad patches and general lack of content and everyone went poof.

On a personal level didn't help that several patches were targeted at things I liked specifically.

So what exactly happened? The steam forums are a disaster, the updates only kind of hint at something happening in 2023...then thats about it.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
"Started off strong but lost their momentum" is the big picture. Iirc they made a few changes to audio and others that were unpopular before they massively slowed down their pace.

I think they could bring back many with a good patch. I probably would.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

buglord posted:

So what exactly happened? The steam forums are a disaster, the updates only kind of hint at something happening in 2023...then thats about it.

The only actual Big One I can recall is the sound rework update that made everything sound like it was underwater for weeks. Everything else was a more slow death of a thousand cuts like taking months to nerf overpowered weapons, map voting was bad for a while with all the mouthbreathers voting for the same three maps until they added a weighted random map select thing kinda like in the newer mario carts. And never really adding much so your stuck with all the samey guns with meaningless attachments forever.

And on a personal only-I-care-about level, they nerfed mines, they nerfed building destruction which was the only way to counter constant backcapping on some maps with the way the spawn system works, and the day I left was when they changed the build/calldown menu to remove the empty aircraft menu that hinted at maybe adding some form of cool bombing runs or some poo poo which they clearly just changed their minds about.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, a huge chunk of the complaints for most of when I was paying attention to the game was about the maps. It was like maps, than the vector specifically and smgs in general being way stronger than anything else, then cheaters, and then littlebird gods in that order. And I don't know if any of that every got fully addresed.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 17, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh poo poo Selaco is coming out this month?
I wonder if it's gonna be EA or not.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Part of what killed battlebit is this.

quote:

i really suck at PVP shooter games, woof. I mean, I don't think I was ever great when I played Battlefield 2 at age 17, but I think I'm somehow worse now at my current age

... except it's not you. FPS players these days are loving savage. Blisteringly good at video games after a decade of fad FPS after fad FPS. It's become a problem with competitive FPS games that the public gets into them, and it's ok for a while, but then these shooting ubermensch and the tryhards that want to be like them take over and it gets really sweaty for everyone. It's hard for us defective granpas to keep up.
The idea that you should be playing this kind of game with friends is more true than ever cause else you are gonna have a bad time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

Oh poo poo Selaco is coming out this month?
I wonder if it's gonna be EA or not.

It is.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The second last shooting PVP game was Battlefield V. I preordered the super edition that let you play 3 days before the game officially released. Within hours I ran into a guy who would constantly go for certain maps where only one side got a plane and this nerd knew where every anti air turret was at and would immediately blow them up so he could bomb people with no threat to himself. It was one of those maps where the battle progresses through certain stages, and when it got to the point where the other team finally got their own plane the guy would just leave. I also ran into a group who found out some building that couldn't be destroyed that gave them sight lines all over the map.

Then I realized man, this poo poo aint fun and I put in a refund and haven't played any other ones for years. Battlebit came out, I got it, played for a few hours and was reminded why I don't like online shooters. Skill issue.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Booooo.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Det_no posted:

FPS players these days are loving savage. Blisteringly good at video games after a decade of fad FPS after fad FPS. It's become a problem with competitive FPS games that the public gets into them, and it's ok for a while, but then these shooting ubermensch and the tryhards that want to be like them take over and it gets really sweaty for everyone. It's hard for us defective granpas to keep up.

I believe there were always good players and tryhards at multiplayer games. It is just that so many different multiplayer games come out over the course of time, so the player population spread out over multiple different games as new games come out: the ones who tend to stay in a given game are the ones who play the most or like the game a lot (which tend to be people who are very good at the game). Even if the game has good matchmaking so that a weaker player is not normally matched with a stronger player, the playerbase might shrink to the point that the matchmaking can only select the strongest and weakest players together, more so if a given server can hold a lot of players at once.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

20-odd years ago I was the freak who played all day every day and left the casuals with no chance. Now I just could not be hosed to play a game that much and so I am the casual who has no chance. My desire for competitive games has coincidentally fallen off a cliff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish more shooters let you play coop against AI and still rank up their battle passes and poo poo. Halo lets you do this but at a severe hit to experience points earned so it ls not really viable.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For some reason, New Vegas on my old laptop with Geforce MX250 lag every few seconds whenever I move through the main map. At first I thought my card might be weaker than I thought but then I remember I could play Doom 2016 on it with 30 something FPS. Then I thought it might be because one of my RAM chips is intergrated into the laptop and the other one is new (but it's the same speed), giving me an abnormal 20 GB RAM.

Then the game refuses to load any savefiles and I just went ahead and buy it on GOG, where it's currently on sale. The GOG version plays perfectly fine, 60fps in High settings and all. I guess there's something wrong with the Steam version that the GOG one fixed?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Then the game refuses to load any savefiles and I just went ahead and buy it on GOG, where it's currently on sale. The GOG version plays perfectly fine, 60fps in High settings and all. I guess there's something wrong with the Steam version that the GOG one fixed?

Don't know about New Vegas but in general Steam sells raw copies and GOG goes the mile to integrate nessesary fixes to make sure it runs properly.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Y’all should try finding a Unreal Tournament server. Facing off against a dozen people with a combined 300 years of playing that game is terrifying.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I said come in! posted:

I wish more shooters let you play coop against AI and still rank up their battle passes and poo poo. Halo lets you do this but at a severe hit to experience points earned so it ls not really viable.

What I want in multiplayer is a chill co-op experience yeah. It's a pity 2 of the biggest ones (Deeprock and Helldivers) have you killing bugs or are pretty un-chill (Darktide). I don't even feel the desire to do some hardcore co-op thing where I'm worried about letting people down. I only want to do hard poo poo with myself or my brother. When I want to play with others it's cause I wanna hang out with some other people while we do some activity. I'd love something like a Battlefield where you're essentially a group of players dropped into a AI vs AI warzone trying to turn the tide for your faction. Do whatever to advance the map goals alongside some other players sounds exactly my speed these days.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
what are your thoughts on mmofps like destiny/warframe. it seems like for coop fps it's down to those or l4dlike horde shooters like deeprock and helldivers.

warframe is generally pretty chill in the sense of being really dang easy in most content because the player characters are just super op
but at the same time it's also pretty fast paced so if you dont wanna deal with coop buddies bunny hopping to the mission objective / exit as soon as possible in half the modes you might not appreciate it

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Phigs posted:

What I want in multiplayer is a chill co-op experience yeah. It's a pity 2 of the biggest ones (Deeprock and Helldivers) have you killing bugs or are pretty un-chill (Darktide). I don't even feel the desire to do some hardcore co-op thing where I'm worried about letting people down. I only want to do hard poo poo with myself or my brother. When I want to play with others it's cause I wanna hang out with some other people while we do some activity. I'd love something like a Battlefield where you're essentially a group of players dropped into a AI vs AI warzone trying to turn the tide for your faction. Do whatever to advance the map goals alongside some other players sounds exactly my speed these days.

Running with Rifles was a third person shooter with exactly that. Probably still running, but it is weirdly simulationist as I recall.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Warframe was awesome until they added the Nightwave battlepass thing. My mind just does not gel well with battlepasses. Destiny 2 I bounced off the new player experience completely lost. I might try that again some day but the fact that they remove content makes me less inclined. Running with rifles I'll have a look at, less interested in a topdown game but it might scratch an itch anyway.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you hate fomo battlepasses you'll really hate destiny 2
the point and click gun shooty part is pretty good but all the rest of the game design in that game is hell

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The fact that you need a disclaimer like that now...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

This game was developed by a diverse team comprising of people from various races, religions, and sexuality, but all still humans.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jack Trades posted:

Hasn't Ubisoft games had these disclaimers for years?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

AI-free and LLM-free. May contain traces of neural networks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I was talking about the last sentence specifically.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I doubt Ubisoft has enough principle to refrain from putting AI art in their games

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Runa posted:

I doubt Ubisoft has enough principle to refrain from putting AI art in their games

Watchdogs Legion already comes close with procedurally generated NPC text and voices for the generic recruitment quests

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honest Battlebit has 2k concurrent players RN, when Euros are working and Yankees are sleeping, so healthy number for an indie MP game if we're being fair. It is just small compared to its few first months.

I kinda bounced off it myself, felt kinda shallow and made me want to reinstall Red Orchestra 3: Rising Storm 2.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Is it weekly AI rant time already?

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

What game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

zebez posted:

What game?

Vertical Kingdom

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

If they're going to use AI, it should at least be free range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo