Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

today's grueling schedule:

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

quote:

9:15 AM
Pool Call Time
Out-of-Town Pool Call Time
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, Scranton, PA Out-of-Town Pool

9:30 AM
Official Schedule
The President receives the President’s Daily Brief
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, Scranton, PA Closed Press

11:20 AM
Official Schedule
The President departs Scranton, Pennsylvania en route to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Wilkes-Barre Scranton International Airport, Avoca, PA Open Press

12:15 PM
Official Schedule
The President arrives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh International Airport Open Press

12:45 PM
Official Schedule
The President greets with steelworkers
United Steelworkers Union, Pittsburgh Out-of-Town Pool

1:45 PM
Official Schedule
The President delivers remarks
United Steelworkers Union, Pittsburgh Open Press

4:00 PM
Official Schedule
The President departs Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania en route to Joint Base Andrews
Pittsburgh International Airport Open Press

5:00 PM
Official Schedule
The President departs Joint Base Andrews en route to the White House
Joint Base Andrews Out-of-Town Pool

5:10 PM
Official Schedule
The President arrives at the White House
South Lawn Open Press

A few airplane rides and a short scripted speech & photo op at noon while his team handles the media inquisitors. It's a hard-knock life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

SixteenShells posted:

you ever keep a wad of chewing gum in your mouth so long it dissolves into grit and muck

cant say that i have actually

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mags posted:

cant say that i have actually

Not remotely what I said, but you're spiraling, so I genuinely and sincerely recommend therapy. It helped me get to a place where at least some of the time I can have a functional day without breaking down into soggy ball of terror and depression. SA is NOT the place for healthy versions of this conversation you're trying to have. It's actually a bad place for this poo poo that will make your mental health worse.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

it's the same thing people who bring up Game Theory think: it's a rhetorical trick where you reference a thing Smart People talked about once, so therefore you are a Smart Person and Correct

nevermind that it's just introductory level thought exercises for every philosophy program in existence

dunning kruger is another example of this the original study is intrinsically flawed and there arent any follow ups but because its a sciency sounding way of saying something basically everyone believes is true noone ever bothers to scrutinize it

if youre wondering why its flawed the problem is straight up just the premise any person coded as "dumb" is going to overestimate their performance and any person coded as "smart" is going to underestimate their performance even with completely random results just because they have far more possible outcomes on that spectrum

one useful way to look at this is if you have the stupidest person in the world who scores 0 and the smartest person in the world that scores 100 it is literally impossible for the stupid person to underestimate themselves or for the smart person to overestimate themselves

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

im glad for them

Well I'm not!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

Not remotely what I said, but you're spiraling, so I genuinely and sincerely recommend therapy. It helped me get to a place where at least some of the time I can have a functional day without breaking down into soggy ball of terror and depression. SA is NOT the place for healthy versions of this conversation you're trying to have. It's actually a bad place for this poo poo that will make your mental health worse.

D&D having an extremely normal one I see

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Best biggest jeans make the best brainiest babies imo. That’s why all the smartest kids were born between 1995 and 2004

did u know that the soviet bloc actually made extremely high quality jeans but people in those countries assumed that jeans made in the west were better because they had more aggressive advertising

i thought that was very interesting

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

lmfao

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Because a debate would eat up valuable time that could be used for the re-invasion of Iraq" is what I assume it says

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

dunning kruger is another example of this the original study is intrinsically flawed and there arent any follow ups but because its a sciency sounding way of saying something basically everyone believes is true noone ever bothers to scrutinize it

if youre wondering why its flawed the problem is straight up just the premise any person coded as "dumb" is going to overestimate their performance and any person coded as "smart" is going to underestimate their performance even with completely random results just because they have far more possible outcomes on that spectrum

one useful way to look at this is if you have the stupidest person in the world who scores 0 and the smartest person in the world that scores 100 it is literally impossible for the stupid person to underestimate themselves or for the smart person to overestimate themselves

Anecdotally, a lot of smart people I know are crippled by neurosis, I would guess because they're applying the same methods of rigorous investigation and evaluation to themselves? On a personal level, it would be nice if they could get out of their own way, and their professional and educational attainment would certainly have been less painful, probably easier, if they didn't constantly doubt and evaluate themselves.

Is that what dunning kruger is intended to be an explanation of?

Some Guy TT posted:

did u know that the soviet bloc actually made extremely high quality jeans but people in those countries assumed that jeans made in the west were better because they had more aggressive advertising

i thought that was very interesting

It kills me that a bunch of guys with slide rules didn't set up a state design bureau for advertising, because maybe that would have made the difference. If they could have just measured and planned around the right amount of pointless, non-productive labour in marketing and advertising to prevent people from gazing at the west longingly.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Anecdotally, a lot of smart people I know are crippled by neurosis, I would guess because they're applying the same methods of rigorous investigation and evaluation to themselves? On a personal level, it would be nice if they could get out of their own way, and their professional and educational attainment would certainly have been less painful, probably easier, if they didn't constantly doubt and evaluate themselves.

Is that what dunning kruger is intended to be an explanation of?

i think it started out like that but at this point its mostly just a fancy way of saying that trumpers are dumb

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If Biden decides against debating Trump the election automatically becomes a coin flip. People do not know Joe Biden is mush brained, and his fall in popularity slows when he stops making public appearances.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
im not sure why biden wouldn't debate trump since he did actually win their only debate in 2020 quite handily when trump overdid it on the stimulants

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

mags
May 30, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

:hai:

mags
May 30, 2008

Excelzior posted:

you love to see it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

It's funny that no other Speaker did the "emiritus" bullshit by the way.

"The Democratic Caucus named her "Speaker Emerita".[54][55]"

smdh that she wasnt named speaker emeritx

were never going to escape the sexist legacy of latin at this rate

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Excelzior posted:

By D&D white liberal logic the government of Nazi Germany shouldn't have been forcibly dismantled because doing so would've hurt too many citizens

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Aaaaah yeah that's the stuff

mags
May 30, 2008

Bishyaler posted:

By D&D white liberal logic the government of Nazi Germany shouldn't have been forcibly dismantled because doing so would've hurt too many citizens

perhaps the ss can be reformed? let’s have a logo contest

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

mags posted:

perhaps the ss can be reformed? let’s have a logo contest

listen, a lot of people rely on the nazi government we can't just get rid of it

if you don't support hitler the next guy might open more death camps

don't like how nazis run things? call or write your Obergruppenführer

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

“If there is one thing Americans can agree on during this polarized time,” they write, “it is that the stakes of this election are exceptionally high.”

:jerkbag:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bishyaler posted:

listen, a lot of people rely on the nazi government we can't just get rid of it

if you don't support hitler the next guy might open more death camps

don't like how nazis run things? call or write your Obergruppenführer

The double "S"/lightning bolt is an ancient Hindu symbol, it's totally okay to use. CERTAIN PEOPLE just like to read Nazism into everything.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just tell the truth, Frum: Biden's people are too chickenshit to actually put the old codger out there for a debate, no matter how you huff and puff about how "rubbing elbows" with Trump is "beneath Biden's dignity" or whatever.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It kills me that a bunch of guys with slide rules didn't set up a state design bureau for advertising, because maybe that would have made the difference. If they could have just measured and planned around the right amount of pointless, non-productive labour in marketing and advertising to prevent people from gazing at the west longingly.

As a writer/film dude in advertising, yeah this is it. Any western leftist project is gonna need a real beefy ad/propaganda department to combat the onslaught of messaging most companies can muster.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
once western leftist projects attain a modicum of success the main problem is the tragic suicides of their leaders. why do they keep shooting themselves in the back of the head and then setting their car on fire? we may never know.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Worst person you know making a good point meme

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I think they could still turn it around at this point. Truman did.

Of course he was willing to say things that Biden Democrats never would so given that yeah yelling "Orange Cheeto" for the next 7 months is their only hope.

its worth noting that trumans campaign strategy was an aggressive whistle stop campaign where he constantly rallied supporters which was a significant departure from deweys campaign where he just avoided saying or doing much of anything because he figured it would only be a risk to his intrinsically superior polling position

you can perhaps see how trying to use the 1948 campaign as an argument for how polling can get things wrong is maybe leaving out some significant contextual information

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Liberal politicians and economists don’t seem to recognize the everyday harms of rising costs, Michael Powell writes. https://theatln.tc/rVM8NogK

“The modern Democratic Party, and liberalism itself, is to a substantial extent a bastion of college-educated, upper-middle-class professionals, people for whom Biden-era inflation is unpleasant but rarely calamitous. Poor, working-class, and lower-middle-class people experience a different reality,” Powell writes. “Tell these Americans that the economy is humming, that median wage growth has nudged ahead of the core inflation rate, and that everything’s grand, and you’re likely to see a roll of the eyes.”

A cooling inflation rate does not negate years of soaring prices, especially for consumers whose wages have not kept pace, Powell continues. The core inflation rate excludes food and energy costs, economic indicators that impact daily lives. Food-price inflation hurts the poorest fifth of Americans, who spend nearly a third of their income on food, disproportionately to the highest-income fifth, who spend only 8 percent. Gas prices have risen 50 percent over the past four years, home prices have risen nearly 50 percent since the start of the pandemic, and borrowing money is more expensive. The Federal Reserve Board’s efforts to curb inflation have pushed up interest rates for mortgage payments, new cars, and credit cards.

“Many commentators’ eagerness to ignore inflation’s toll appears inescapably tied to Biden’s precarious reelection prospects. The president is more clear-eyed than his cheerleaders. Several months ago, he largely stopped touting the joys of ‘Bidenomics’ and talked instead about challenging the corporations that raised prices and padded profits,” Powell writes. But “mainstream economists cringe at this kind of populist rhetoric; their assumption is that the austerity that follows raising interest rates is an unfortunate but necessary medicine.”

“Perhaps the economic turmoil of Biden’s term will ease … and consumer agitation will cool in tandem with inflation,” Powell continues. But many Americans will continue to judge the economy by their checking accounts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2024/04/inflation-democrats-biden-interest-rates/678047/

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Worst person you know making a good point meme

You don't think Biden should debate Trump? lolol, of course.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

ELTON JOHN posted:

at least the US doesn’t have social credit tho

China’s totally real and oppressive social credit score that strangely no one can cite any examples of what a specific score is, or by what mechanisms that score applies to things.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

what's your reasoning, mclib?

1. Debating trump is below biden's stature

2. Debating trump is giving credence to an insurrectionist

3. Debating trump would put biden's :dementia: on display

I can't think of a non-succy reason that biden should refuse but I'm :allears: if you have one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My reasoning is that I don't want to have to see it, that it's a waste of everyone's time and that they have no affect on the outcome of the election anyway. If you care about political debates you are an insane sicko. It's actually very lib coded to care about political debates tbh.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

"Michael, what did you do!"

"Well who did you vote for Pam!?"

"... That's not relevant right now..."

lol

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Uncle Wemus posted:

Liberal politicians and economists don’t seem to recognize the everyday harms of rising costs, Michael Powell writes. https://theatln.tc/rVM8NogK

“The modern Democratic Party, and liberalism itself, is to a substantial extent a bastion of college-educated, upper-middle-class professionals, people for whom Biden-era inflation is unpleasant but rarely calamitous. Poor, working-class, and lower-middle-class people experience a different reality,” Powell writes. “Tell these Americans that the economy is humming, that median wage growth has nudged ahead of the core inflation rate, and that everything’s grand, and you’re likely to see a roll of the eyes.”

A cooling inflation rate does not negate years of soaring prices, especially for consumers whose wages have not kept pace, Powell continues. The core inflation rate excludes food and energy costs, economic indicators that impact daily lives. Food-price inflation hurts the poorest fifth of Americans, who spend nearly a third of their income on food, disproportionately to the highest-income fifth, who spend only 8 percent. Gas prices have risen 50 percent over the past four years, home prices have risen nearly 50 percent since the start of the pandemic, and borrowing money is more expensive. The Federal Reserve Board’s efforts to curb inflation have pushed up interest rates for mortgage payments, new cars, and credit cards.

“Many commentators’ eagerness to ignore inflation’s toll appears inescapably tied to Biden’s precarious reelection prospects. The president is more clear-eyed than his cheerleaders. Several months ago, he largely stopped touting the joys of ‘Bidenomics’ and talked instead about challenging the corporations that raised prices and padded profits,” Powell writes. But “mainstream economists cringe at this kind of populist rhetoric; their assumption is that the austerity that follows raising interest rates is an unfortunate but necessary medicine.”

“Perhaps the economic turmoil of Biden’s term will ease … and consumer agitation will cool in tandem with inflation,” Powell continues. But many Americans will continue to judge the economy by their checking accounts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2024/04/inflation-democrats-biden-interest-rates/678047/

look people are still dipping into their excess savings from the relief they got 4 years ago. They’ll be fine.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

My reasoning is that I don't want to have to see it, that it's a waste of everyone's time and that they have no affect on the outcome of the election anyway. If you care about political debates you are an insane sicko. It's actually very lib coded to care about political debates tbh.

You know that you won't be forced to watch it at gunpoint, right?

(lol at debates being lib-coded; lib-coded is acting as if you'd be held against your will to watch it & having to come up with bogus reasons that debating is bad.)

eta: Is this something you've believed & said for prior debates, including 2020? I'm guessing it's a newly developed excuse but if you can pull up an older post of yours that proves me wrong I'll take the L.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Apr 17, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Wait, what?

o yeah i have a youtube video essay for this one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZccG-wtt5FA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

You know that you won't be forced to watch it at gunpoint, right?

(lol at debates being lib-coded; lib-coded is acting as if you'd be held against your will to watch it & having to come up with bogus reasons that debating is bad.)

eta: Is this something you've believed & said for prior debates, including 2020? I'm guessing it's a newly developed excuse but if you can pull up an older post of yours that proves me wrong I'll take the L.

afraid he's got you on this one willa

there is literally nothing more lib-coded than pretending that a debate does something. this is the entire appeal of the West Wing to these people: imagining a world where actually if you drop enough epic owns on the republicans they will stop opposing you