Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Come on man if Biden refuses to debate Trump it's gonna make him look pathetic. It'll be amazingly easy to turn into an attack too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

debates aren't for watching intellectual battles (especially between these two particular candidates at this point in time) but for the amusement factor & exposure to ideas outside people's weird lil echo chambers.

and yeah ^^^ to prove that you're sentient enough to handle the job of presidenting.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it will def look pathetic and weak if he refuses to debate trump but my guess is they will take that hit vs him drooling and farting on live tv

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

& exposure to ideas outside people's weird lil echo chambers.

This part definitely isn't true though, since it's not like the candidates give substantive answers to anything.

It's literally just entertainment (and in this case a good excuse to get a less polished view of how the candidate actually functions when speaking).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

This part definitely isn't true though, since it's not like the candidates give substantive answers to anything.

It's literally just entertainment (and in this case a good excuse to get a less polished view of how the candidate actually functions when speaking).

it doesn't have to be substantive; imagine trump calling biden "genocide joe" and democrat heads exploding or biden.... not drooling & ripping on trump.

both things can be true; it can be entertaining & also something voters haven't heard in their echo chambers.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

trump refusing to debate his primary opponents was a gift to biden if that's what happens

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

They should debate every week until the election

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anyway, I'm open to finding out that prior to 2020 the democrat line was that debates were useless rather than thinking this is a newly found excuse to help pop-pop retain what dignity he has left.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

no it wasent lol the debates were all about trump

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
now, would I like to see Joe Biden try to debate Donald Trump again, absolutely, it would be a hack metaphor made reality in a way i'd find aesthetically pleasing. two pudding-brained old men rambling at one another about why they're slightly more vital than the other senile corpse and that's why you have to vote for them, what's not to love

but the pretense that Logic, Reason, and Debate are the foundational principles of democracy is the most liberal it is possible to be

the whole discussion is rendered more pointless than usual by the Trump people having established they aren't going to do any debates quite some time ago

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ those weren't my reasons & trump has changed his mind bc of biden's declining lucidity.

Zokari posted:

trump refusing to debate his primary opponents was a gift to biden if that's what happens

trump is already baiting biden about debating, even saying he'll start doing them now, and even tho he originally had an issue with the debate commission's rules.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

no it wasent lol the debates were all about trump

hillary debated him 3 times.

041724_2
Apr 17, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Apr 18, 2024

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ those weren't my reasons & trump has changed his mind bc of biden's declining lucidity.

trump is already baiting biden about debating, even saying he'll start doing them now, and even tho he originally had an issue with the debate commission's rules.

remember that time Elizabeth Warren took Trump promising he'd pay out if she did something for him seriously

good times were had by all

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

afraid he's got you on this one willa

there is literally nothing more lib-coded than pretending that a debate does something. this is the entire appeal of the West Wing to these people: imagining a world where actually if you drop enough epic owns on the republicans they will stop opposing you

what's funny is despite dropping tons of epic owns, the West Wing dems never did stop getting opposed by Republicans, in fact the opposition was so effective they basically didn't do anything!

A liberal fantasy indeed

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Biden should debate trump because it would be a confusing, unpleasant experience for him and the drugs they shoot him up with might shorten his rotten life

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
edit: never mind, posting on a tape delay

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

WampaLord posted:

what's funny is despite dropping tons of epic owns, the West Wing dems never did stop getting opposed by Republicans, in fact the opposition was so effective they basically didn't do anything!

A liberal fantasy indeed

but they got to drop a bunch of epic owns on them to an appreciative audience, and isn't that what REALLY matters

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

hillary debated him 3 times.

that was in relation to the other poster

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

quote:

The Trump campaign argued that in 2020, Americans "were robbed of a true and robust debate," with the commission only hosting two debates that took place "much too late in the election calendar despite voting timelines having moved up exponentially."

In an exclusive interview with Fox News Digital on Thursday, Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, said it is "very important to have the debates now because the country is doing so badly."

Trump listed the crisis at the southern border, national security, America's standing on the world stage, rising crime, the economy and more.

"The country is in such trouble," Trump told Fox News Digital. "What are Biden’s plans?"

"I would fully accept any debate, anywhere, anytime, anyplace," he continued.

When asked if he thought Biden, too, would commit to a debate against him on the issues that matter most to voters, Trump replied:

"Perhaps he will, perhaps he won’t. I really don’t care," he said. "I am totally committed to debating him anytime, anywhere, any place."

As for the debate schedule, Trump told Fox News Digital "the earlier the better."

quote:

President Biden on Friday said his decision on whether to debate President Trump ahead of Election Day is dependent on his opponent’s "behavior."

Biden was asked on Friday, the day after his State of the Union address, if he would debate Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.

"Depends on his behavior," Biden said.

Biden’s comments come after Trump challenged him earlier in the week to a debate "anytime, anywhere, anyplace."

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
debates have the potential to be funny, tho they rarely are

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

paranoid randroid posted:

Biden should debate trump because it would be a confusing, unpleasant experience for him and the drugs they shoot him up with might shorten his rotten life

yep

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

through a wacky mix-up they are each given the other's chemical stack before debate, leading to a Biden whose flesh is visibly falling off the bone attempting to debate a Trump whose eyeballs have both exploded

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Willa Rogers posted:

You know that you won't be forced to watch it at gunpoint, right?

(lol at debates being lib-coded; lib-coded is acting as if you'd be held against your will to watch it & having to come up with bogus reasons that debating is bad.)

eta: Is this something you've believed & said for prior debates, including 2020? I'm guessing it's a newly developed excuse but if you can pull up an older post of yours that proves me wrong I'll take the L.

I don't remember if I cared all that much about if the 2020 debates happened but I know they were completely useless wastes of time for everyone involved. You think i give a poo poo enough about winning some dumb tit for tat flamewar with you to spend time going through 4 year old posts? lol

You have a rooting interest in the debate (for Trump) so you want to see your favorite guy own Biden.

Willa Rogers posted:

debates aren't for watching intellectual battles (especially between these two particular candidates at this point in time) but for the amusement factor & exposure to ideas outside people's weird lil echo chambers.

and yeah ^^^ to prove that you're sentient enough to handle the job of presidenting.
We already know neither of them are up to the job.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean if people already think your candidate's brain is shredded

And then when they ask "is your candidate able to have an unscripted conversation in public?" And the answer is "no"

Well that doesn't look good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

for the last like 2 months I have been getting approximately 20 texts a week from the dnc asking me for money. thanks for selling all my info Bernie you fucker

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

through a wacky mix-up they are each given the other's chemical stack before debate, leading to a Biden whose flesh is visibly falling off the bone attempting to debate a Trump whose eyeballs have both exploded

this is the event horizon remake I’ve been waiting for

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Best Friends posted:

China’s totally real and oppressive social credit score that strangely no one can cite any examples of what a specific score is, or by what mechanisms that score applies to things.

They make you ride the slow trains instead of the HSR. :eek:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Biden should not debate Trump because they should be forced to compete on a humiliating game show instead

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
instead of a debate they should do that turkish wrestling where they get all oiled up and try to stick their hands down each others leather pants

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
There's a dude at work who told me unionically that the 2008 film Kung Fu Panda was pro China propaganda

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
mcmagic and willa are both right

debates are useless and ultimately pointless but it is fun to gawk at the dementia addled pigs that will have the ability to end human civilization with the push of a button. watching or caring about the debates makes you a politics sicko but I got bad news for anyone who posts ITT

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Anecdotally, a lot of smart people I know are crippled by neurosis, I would guess because they're applying the same methods of rigorous investigation and evaluation to themselves? On a personal level, it would be nice if they could get out of their own way, and their professional and educational attainment would certainly have been less painful, probably easier, if they didn't constantly doubt and evaluate themselves.

Is that what dunning kruger is intended to be an explanation of?

generally, if you have a 'smart person' job or credentials, to obtain them you had to survive a battery of tests, hoop jumping, and gate keeping

most of which was pointless, arbitrary, and or serves to exclude talented people on the basis of class, race, gender, etc

this makes people totally neurotic and self doubting, thats my theory anyway

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yadoppsi posted:

They make you ride the slow trains instead of the HSR. :eek:

But then things like, what is an example of a good social credit score? What’s a bad one? What specifically keeps you from buying a ticket on the hsr? Do you get an error at the ticket machine? how does it know to not give you a ticket if so?

For the credit scores we live under, anyone could supply those examples easily. But strangely for the extremely real Chinese social credit score, that’s not available anywhere. almost as if

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

mcmagic and willa are both right

debates are useless and ultimately pointless but it is fun to gawk at the dementia addled pigs that will have the ability to end human civilization with the push of a button. watching or caring about the debates makes you a politics sicko but I got bad news for anyone who posts ITT

It’s really no different than how Biden can’t be assed to go tour disasters. There’s no point to the ritual in any material sense, but the fact that he can’t be assed to perform the ritual is very telling

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Anecdotally, a lot of smart people I know are crippled by neurosis, I would guess because they're applying the same methods of rigorous investigation and evaluation to themselves? On a personal level, it would be nice if they could get out of their own way, and their professional and educational attainment would certainly have been less painful, probably easier, if they didn't constantly doubt and evaluate themselves.

Is that what dunning kruger is intended to be an explanation of?

It's a phenomenon that folks have described regularly throughout history, notably in The Second Coming by Yeats

Yeats posted:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Debates are totally useless but they're also part of the theater of politics and watching 2 confused old men on stage who are barely able to stay coherent should be something everyone gets to see.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

docbeard posted:

Biden should not debate Trump because they should be forced to compete on a humiliating game show instead

Ideally one of those Japanese game shows where you have to live off promotional coupons for a month or they just lock you in a room until you satisfy a condition you have not been told in advance