Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Stunt casting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When Keanu uses his gravely growl, it sounds like he's a nice guy trying really hard to be a badass. That seems like a perfect fit for Shadow, tbh

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Guns. Lots of guns.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
When the second movie came out I said we're probably seeing the motorcycle but not the guns and I'm prepared to eat my words.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m in but only if he does his Bill and Ted voice

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Haha the casting just gets bigger names as the characters get more obscure. Coming in 2027: Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise are your Espeo the Chameleon and Charmy the Bee!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Margot Robbie as Amy.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm assuming Idris Elba is coming back too? Sonic the Hedgehog x Cyberpunk 2077 crossover when??

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This makes too much sense

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

whydirt posted:

Well shoot, now I want to hear Ted say "Gotta go FAST!" too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cacator posted:

I'm assuming Idris Elba is coming back too? Sonic the Hedgehog x Cyberpunk 2077 crossover when??

Idris Elba has a Knuckles TV show coming out soon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

whydirt posted:

In surprise twist he'll bebl using his Bram Stoker's Dracula voice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It baffles me that anyone gives a poo poo about Sonic in 2024. Especially not two successful films and a third on the way levels of caring. From my understanding Sega screws up up Sonic all the time. Not to the level of the infamous 2006 game, but pretty bad.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

It baffles me that anyone gives a poo poo about Sonic in 2024. Especially not two successful films and a third on the way levels of caring. From my understanding Sega screws up up Sonic all the time. Not to the level of the infamous 2006 game, but pretty bad.

Kids continue to like Sonic games and adjacent media, and the movies were generally well received as I recall. Like surprisingly so.

They really saved their asses by not using the original gremlin Sonic design for that first movie lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

The movies are fun and buoyed by the cast being game for it being weird.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's even more shocking the first movie did so well when it came out like two weeks before the covid lockdown.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The movies are fun and buoyed by the cast being game for it being weird.

They're the first time in forever we've gotten Jim Carrey in classic scenery demolition mode. People seem to like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not going to watch sonic 3 but I’m glad they chose reeves over Hayden Christensen lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In surprise twist he'll bebl using his Bram Stoker's Dracula voice.

How many times can we work "Budapest" into the script?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

There have been multiple good Sonic games since 2006.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not going to watch sonic 3 but I’m glad they chose reeves over Hayden Christensen lol

Both would be valid but Keanu is definitely going to be more fun

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Casimir Radon posted:

Small children love Sonic.

Half of them have no idea he even has videogames.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Casimir Radon posted:

I doubt kids these days know or give a poo poo about a game from almost twenty years ago.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sonic has successfully become a known character in the manner of Bugs Bunny or the like. No one gives a poo poo that Bugs Bunny's video game is mid.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I doubt kids these days know or give a poo poo about a game from almost twenty years ago.

aaaagggghhhhh

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Schwarzwald posted:

Sonic has successfully become a known character in the manner of Bugs Bunny or the like. No one gives a poo poo that Bugs Bunny's video game is mid.

Yeah it's this. Even regarding the games though, one of my friends was, his parents were Christian missionaries, once mentioned that there's a big crossover with Sonic fandom and the kids of proselytizing Christianity/Orthodox takes on religions. They were saying it was from how on the surface it's just cute animals jumping around bright places and so doesn't have the player summoning monsters or spirits as a regular part of the gameplay like Pokémon (a huge nono since only the guy upstairs can do that, so RPGs are out), etc.

Like it basically checks off enough boxes that it's the one game series religious nut parents will allow their kids to have without a second thought. So I think the games will just never die from having that built in audience.

lipid
Feb 21, 2001
https://sonicretro.org/2012/10/22/presented-without-commentary-christian-sonic-fanart/

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can only assume that in the Christian sonic fandom, sonic got pregnant through immaculate conception

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Every kid I saw the movie with recognized Shadow and I really doubt any of them have ever played Sonic Adventure 2. I imagine newer generations learn about the characters through the equivalent of the Dragonball Z geocities fansites that listed all the sagas.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's a character parents have fond memories of playing as kids and honestly even the worst Sonic game is better than most of the ad-targeted junk that makes up so much of kids games these days

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

There have been enough Sonic cartoon shows that I'm sure some kids channel is always airing one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sonic also had a shitload of marketing material and spinoff media with comics and cartoons that took on a life of their own, especially as Sega rarely gave a poo poo what they got up to.

And Dr Robotnik/Eggman is just always great.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I loved Sonic as a kid but never had a Sega console. First game I played was Adventure 2 when it came to GameCube, and at 11 years old it was awesome.

I don't know, but I feel Sonic hits the exact sweet spot of being a really cute cartoon character with all the surface signs of what a kid thinks is cool and adult. So as long as there are kids aged between 8 and 13, I think Sonic will do just fine...

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Post ain't edit...

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Byzantine posted:

aaaagggghhhhh

Time-wise, Sonic 2006 is closer to the first Sonic The Hedgehog game than it is to now.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

yeah not sure why everyone is dissing on a classic retro game

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Marty's next next film, after his upcoming Life of Jesus, is supposed to be a Frank Sinatra biopic starring Leonardo Di Caprio. Which is interesting news, as I had thought his next one was going to be The Wager, based on David Grann's book. I wonder if he reckons the Sinatra pic will be cheaper and more commercially viable than a film with portions set out at sea, making getting the funding for The Wager easier.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/martin-scorsese-frank-sinatra-biopic-dicaprio-jennifer-lawrence-1235973769/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Least surprising news of the year

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1780736133229359542?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

Edit: what wtf, the phrasing in that tweet is awful. It sounds like he’s still doing the dumb “10 films and I’m done” thing but he’s shelving The Film Critic entirely?

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 18, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes apparently he is not going to do whatever that concept was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Apparently pitt was supposed to return as the stuntman character in the now cancelled film