Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Word.

Trouble is I’m going with my GF for her dads 800 birthday. All booked and paid for months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Have you asked them? Have you told them this is a pre-booked holiday?

I've never had an employer be inflexible when it comes to start dates, you just gotta ask and see

Don't say no just yet!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or calculate how much money you'd have to forfeit to cancel the trip and ask them for that much of a bonus to cover it.

Hard to place a valuation on losing your girlfriend if it's non-negotiable to her though. This isn't E/N but your job is such a gargantuanesqually important thing that "sorry my dear, but I cannot pass on this job, your dad's birthday is going to have to give way, we'll buy him something nice" is not at all an unreasonable thing to say, in my astoundingly humble opinion. If it's truly a life-changing kind of job on offer.

e: poo poo, his 800th birthday? OK maybe I stand corrected then, that seems like a pretty important milestone

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
If the company won’t let you change your start date, I’m not sure that’s a company you want to work for.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TheWevel posted:

If the company won’t let you change your start date, I’m not sure that’s a company you want to work for.

There are a lot of details unknown to us and perfectly legitimate reasons start date can be an unmoveable requirement, so I'm running on the assumption this is the case

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Okay but..... Maybe I'm not understanding but I think you still just ask. You go to them in full transparency and give them the same information we have. It was booked a while ago, old mate is turning 800, nothing to be sneezed at!

Also

TheWevel posted:

I'm Australian and there's no way in gently caress I'd give up an o/s holiday tbh

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
GF dad is literally Marco Polo

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
You can’t miss your dad’s 800th birthday.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

It's also the same theory as any negotiation.

If you don't ask you don't get, but if you do ask you might get

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I did ask, but they need someone at that point hard.

I hadn’t considered applying once i get home so I’ll do that, never know your luck.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’m a currently working at a FAANG as a contractor in Product Area X.

I’ve been cultivating some relationships here in case an in-house role opened up.

One has finally popped up but it’s in Product Area Y.

The core skills for both roles are basically the same but the product areas have vey little overlap so the stakeholders are very different and my contacts at the company don’t have any direct involvement there.

Is it worth tapping those contacts to try and a put in a good word for me or am I basically burning a bridge better served for if a role within the more relevant products area opens up?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So, I've got a question on listing freelance experience. My primary line of work has been transcription and captioning for 15+ years, and I've got a few long-term clients I've worked for during that time. Listing everybody separately with their own individual bullet points seems repetitive, since I basically did the exact same thing to the exact same standards with everyone involved, but I'm not sure how to put them on the resume otherwise without risking ATS going "what the gently caress is this poo poo" and binning me immediately. Just listing the top ones will leave me with a gap between them and older experience that I'd like to still include since it's relevant to the field I'm applying for.

So, if I've been a freelancer since 2008, and I've got the following list of clients:

Client A 2022-present

Client B 2017-present

Client C 2015-2022

Client D 2012-present

Client E 2010-present

(shitload of individual transcription jobs 2008-2010)

"Real job" 2000-2008

What would be the best way to display that in a way that won't get me filtered out? My gut wants to put an entry for "transcriptionist 2008-present" and then list the individual companies I worked for and time periods underneath that and then the bullet points, but I'm worried that'll choke ATS. I can just list the long-term ones and that gets me back to 2010, but then I've got a gap between that and the previous job, which has a lot of the transferable skills to the field I'm looking for.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 13, 2024

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
I'm looking for some advice on how to communicate my experience on a resume. I started at my current role as an IT Business Analyst and moved up to a Senior SE, which is where I'm at currently. Even though I'm a SE, my job duties are not 100% technical and still involve day-to-day BA work. It's a bit of a hybrid role despite the title.

I'm now working to move back into an IT BA, product-oriented role and have tailored my resume towards that. Should I list all my relevant BA experience at my current place under the combined BA/SE titles like the attached image? How should I point out the hybrid nature of my current role--resume summary/cover letter?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I know this isn't what you asked for. I don't really know how to answer your question.

Please change your headings starting with "From" and "Routinely" to instead start with verbs. Also, inside of your bullet points, don't use the word "I" or any other personal pronouns (me/my). I think they might also not be good in a summary paragraph, but I'm less certain about those because I hate them anyway. They're fine in cover letters, but that's because it's subject to normal grammar rules in ways that resumes are not.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

vegeta dentata posted:

I'm looking for some advice on how to communicate my experience on a resume. I started at my current role as an IT Business Analyst and moved up to a Senior SE, which is where I'm at currently. Even though I'm a SE, my job duties are not 100% technical and still involve day-to-day BA work. It's a bit of a hybrid role despite the title.

I'm now working to move back into an IT BA, product-oriented role and have tailored my resume towards that. Should I list all my relevant BA experience at my current place under the combined BA/SE titles like the attached image? How should I point out the hybrid nature of my current role--resume summary/cover letter?

I'm wifes-out-of-town drunk rn but the thing that sticks out from glancing over this is how its keyword bingo but doesnt ever make clear what value you create for the company. First bullet should be a one sentence summary quantifying your benefit to the org (and therefore what benefit youll bring to a new org). NO BUZZWORDS ALLOWED in the summary. No cute phrases. Just plain ol' common sense: heres what I did and how much it mattered in $.

EDIT: Half this bullet points sounds like a meeting creating middle man, lose or rephrase all that poo poo. Don't brag in your resume about how you pass poo poo on for others to work on unless its super obvious to anyone how that makes money

poo poo like bragging that you picked a fight then hid behind a big guy frien

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 15, 2024

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I've been posting around BFC while I search for a permanent, full-time role (and messing up contract rates), and I figured I'd get some eyes on my current resume. Fair warning that it's a little unique to the UI/UX and design industry, so it's a bit more designed than other resumes and includes things like example case studies based on professional feedback. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uIWL1bgnEPHJ91IvoIqIpqYtW8UW6fAJ/view?usp=sharing

The bulk of the job descriptions and personal skills were written with a professional writer, with minor tweaks to focus on my current goals. I don't love having a column crammed full of keywords, but it feels necessary when nearly every application I do requests that I list my skills and tool proficiency out one by one somewhere. If I were to remove them, I could try adding them into the job description or below each description. I don't know what format would be more valuable, since I applied most of the skills/tools across all the listed jobs. I'm also not positive I should have the personal skills section at all.

Is there anything I could or should change that's noticeable?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Have you had someone put it through ATS to see if it can be read? I had to stop exporting my resume from Figma cause Figma PDFs aren't readable somehow and someone flagged this for me.

Also a designer, I want to design my resume, but really scared of ATS rejections so i settle for what Teal can make for me.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What is Figma?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’ll just make the ligma joke before anyone else does.

Ligma

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

cheese eats mouse posted:

Have you had someone put it through ATS to see if it can be read? I had to stop exporting my resume from Figma cause Figma PDFs aren't readable somehow and someone flagged this for me.

Also a designer, I want to design my resume, but really scared of ATS rejections so i settle for what Teal can make for me.
That's a great idea. I did it in InDesign (old habits die hard), and if it can't be read, I may be able to gently caress with the tab order and get it more functional. I hate that the export forces the paragraphs into having hard line breaks.

Quackles posted:

What is Figma?
Li—

gently caress

Sincere answer: it's a website/app that's made for user interface designers to build wireframes and prototypes for digital interfaces. Others include Sketch, Balsamiq, and Adobe XD. It has dev tools, plugins, a Miro knockoff (if you're familiar with that), and more. It's the industry preferred version of that type of app, but should it be? Great question! None of the other do all things well or better.

broken pixel fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 16, 2024

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Adobe tried to buy it and I think that tells the thread how much of of a threat they considered it to be to their monopoly on the creative industry.

Also they're still going to kill XD so I guess they're giving up?!

Sketch you can't build prototypes, but I haven't touched Sketch in a few years so maybe they improved it?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Adobe tried to buy it and I think that tells the thread how much of of a threat they considered it to be to their monopoly on the creative industry.

Also they're still going to kill XD so I guess they're giving up?!

Sketch you can't build prototypes, but I haven't touched Sketch in a few years so maybe they improved it?

For some reason, yeah. I can't imagine them not trying to replace it with something. I could see a future where they drop XD for an Epic Win AI Solution that'll be poo poo and/or kill even more jobs. :shrug: In the end, I don't like XD much, but it doesn't need to die.

Same boat RE: Sketch, but it seems like they added prototyping at some point?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Speaking of ATS: Does anyone have a resource / tips on making resumes ATS compliant? While helping a friend with their resume recently, I realized I knew nothing about it. I basically suggested it be simple text without columns since I believed that would likely be tolerated. Is there any way to check that's free?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Upload your resume to any job posting that uses Workday or similar software and see if the fields are auto populated correctly. Tweak until you get the desired result.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

I’ll just make the ligma joke before anyone else does.

Ligma

so sad Steve Jobs never got to use Figma

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

broken pixel posted:

Is there anything I could or should change that's noticeable?

I'd maybe call your latest job 'UX/Product Designer'. The titles in this industry are all over the place but you seem to me to fall more towards what I'd usually call UX vs Product Design, so having your latest title reflect that better might help.

Otherwise it strikes me as a very good resume.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Lockback posted:

I'd maybe call your latest job 'UX/Product Designer'. The titles in this industry are all over the place but you seem to me to fall more towards what I'd usually call UX vs Product Design, so having your latest title reflect that better might help.

Otherwise it strikes me as a very good resume.

Good idea! I think I had it like that at one point, then tried to simplify when I didn't need to.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Double posting since I ran my resume through a tool designed to test ATS. Not going to pay for the full product, but some of the weird things it pointed out included:
  • It didn't like "Work" as a section title and preferred "Work History."
  • It suggested date formats be limited to one of the following: 01/17, 01/2017, January 2017, or Jan 2017.
  • It says that having hyphens in your file name can cause errors in some ATS. Didn't seem to care about the underscore.
  • It said that "self-starter" is considered a negative and should be self-evident in interviews.
  • It did recognize my measurable achievements and suggested adding at least 5 total.
Extremely YMMV, but the title, date format, and file name things are exactly the sort of poo poo I wouldn't have intuited.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I got a job offer from Company A on the 5th. I tell Company B about the offer and they say there should be a decision from them by the 12th. 12th passes and no answer, but on the 15th Company B says they haven't made any final evaluations but "However, if you want to act on your other job offer, please go ahead. I wouldn’t want you to miss an opportunity while we sort out any potential offers."

I cant tell if that's a stealth rejection or if they're just that slow

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I got a job offer from Company A on the 5th. I tell Company B about the offer and they say there should be a decision from them by the 12th. 12th passes and no answer, but on the 15th Company B says they haven't made any final evaluations but "However, if you want to act on your other job offer, please go ahead. I wouldn’t want you to miss an opportunity while we sort out any potential offers."

I cant tell if that's a stealth rejection or if they're just that slow

Neither is good. They're either not that fussed about you or their processes are crap

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You have to treat it as a rejection and move forward with Company A. Hopefully you've been using the lag time to tell Company A "I'm entertaining another offer but I'll sign with you for [offer+15% or whatever]"?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hiring Manager hasn’t joined the meeting and we’re coming up on 30 minutes.

Recruiter claims the HM is “on his way”.

Not looking good.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Crossposting from the Schadenfreude thread:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Loool honest to God made me double check even though I’m sure I’m in the meeting.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Now being ghosted by the recruiter. RIP.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Poor guy. Even his hair looks ATS-ready.

dpkg chopra posted:

Now being ghosted by the recruiter. RIP.

drat, sorry to hear that. People can suck.

At the same time, it's probably okay to cut your losses 20 mins in and have them come to you if they want to do anything about it. No one has time to be disrespected like that, even if they do.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 17, 2024

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if I didn’t have a job this would suck a lot more.

Still sucks quite a bit.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

Recruiter claims…

Found your problem op.

Jokes aside, it sucks to get jerked around and have your time wasted like that. Sorry.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Well the invite link came from the HM himself to a corporate hosted Zoom, so presumably this isn’t some elaborate scam.

Hopefully it was some sort of confusion but I’m assuming the worst for now and moving on with my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had that happen way back. They wasted half an hour of my time, then called it, then I got a frantic phonecall asking if I could get back on the meeting. Ended up not getting the job anyway, so extra hate that company now.