Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Unless the power for the sensor for the headlights is physically switched off by setting the headlights to off, the car should know that it is dark and the headlights are off. When it detects that, it should put a "headlights off" symbol on the dash.

VW went one step further (in 2013) and used a light sensor to turn the numbers and hatches on the face of the gauge cluster off. It's been a good reminder to snap the lights on a few times. I'm not sure if an additional little status light would have been picked up, from the corner of my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Aren't a ton of high heat aluminum compounds technically ceramics?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

It's clearly a piston, but why would it be made of a mineral/ceramic substance like this?

I wonder if someone wasn’t playing at sandcasting? It kinda looks like a bad mold job.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
aluminum oxide (alumina) is a very common ceramic material

its prob not a bad casting, just very eroded from being underground for a handful of decades

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

also (most) XRF guns can't detect aluminum so it makes sense that it wouldn't show up

This could be true, I need to check the settings. The weight of the thing definitely points to aluminum (oxide?).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
aluminum on the inside, aluminum oxide on the outside

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

chrisgt posted:

People who ride my rear end with high beams shining in my california mirrors blinding me are not smart and should be crushed in their car.

That's how you get your rear end dumped into the 25mph Club, where I then go 25mph in their way and I suppose really it could just escalate or that person gets madder but gently caress them tbh

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Door Frame posted:

Whoever at GM decided that reverse lights should stay on for a minute after the car is turned off should be taken out back behind the shed. I understand that the extra illumination is nice if you're somewhere with bad lighting, but that should be an optional setting or just an extra set of lights that don't indicate a car is going to move backwards

GM just REALLY loves poo poo turning off well after the car, my mom's early Equinox had the radio stay on until the door was opened, something they still do.

wolrah posted:

My car does not have DRLs but I've still had plenty of "why aren't my headlights on? why the gently caress is this knob in off!?!?!" after taking my car in to a shop for something. They tend to switch the lights hard off so they're not staying auto on in the bay, then never switch them back to auto. I wish the "Off" position were a momentary selection, there are situations where I want to turn my lights off but they are not the norm.

My '22 Chevy does that, the off position on the headlight switch is momentary, and only lasts until the vehicle is power cycled again. I'd honestly prefer manual lights, just because I turn the headlights on every time I drive. With DRLs and auto-headlights I've gotten lazy, fortunately my car's lights are pretty sensitive, and will turn on during super overcast or very rainy days.

I think the wipers and headlights should be connected, if the wipers are on, the headlights are on.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Elviscat posted:

GM just REALLY loves poo poo turning off well after the car, my mom's early Equinox had the radio stay on until the door was opened, something they still do.

My Corolla and Tacoma do that too. As did a former co-worker's 93 Toyota Truck.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Our Outback is downright schizophrenic in this regard. I think it's tied to the various driver profiles but I have no idea. Sometimes the radio plays until you open the door, sometimes it keeps playing after you close it again. Sometimes there's no door chime, sometimes it won't stop until you exit the car (but only when you're trying to load/unload poo poo). If you unclick your seatbelt while the vehicle is moving it punishes you with an alarm that won't stop until you turn the car off and open the door, regardless of what you do with the seatbelt or transmission.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Elviscat posted:

I am a fan of this, particularly when it's only the driver's door opening that kills the radio. Sometimes you've gotta catch the end of the podcast before getting out of the car.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone else’s cars should have these whizbang interlocks, but mine should not.

Like, sometimes I want to run the wipers while parked and waiting, but the headlights are not appreciated in that situation.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I want to be able to turn my lights off when the car is in drive, but I don't want the average driver to be able to

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

IMO if the car is on the headlights and taillights should be on. Optionally there may be a way to turn off the lights when the car is in park but it should be buried deep in the infotainment menus. That option should also default back to lights whenever the car is turned off/on.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

All infotainment units should use the color scheme 'hot dog stand' from windows 3.1

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Galler posted:

IMO if the car is on the headlights and taillights should be on. Optionally there may be a way to turn off the lights when the car is in park but it should be buried deep in the infotainment menus. That option should also default back to lights whenever the car is turned off/on.

I'm willing to compromise, since I'm able to just hardware bypass it if I really felt that strongly, and the average person probably wouldn't see much of a problem to begin with

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

All infotainment units should use the color scheme 'hot dog stand' from windows 3.1

:hmmyes:

This feels like something the NHTSA could get behind.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
The way GMs turn on their reverse lights when they get unlocked is some of the dumbest poo poo. Makes people slam on their brakes because they think they’re about to get backed in to.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There was a house for sale near me that had the inside painted in that theme. It was something else.

Edit: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/11999-Sonneborn-Dr_Theodore_AL_36582_M71549-02604

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 13, 2024

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

hellotoothpaste posted:

That's how you get your rear end dumped into the 25mph Club, where I then go 25mph in their way and I suppose really it could just escalate or that person gets madder but gently caress them tbh

my truck screams "don't gently caress with me," as does the fact that i'm 6'2" and have a zz top beard.
unloaded this stupid thing is actually kinda fast, so when people try to roadrage pass on a double-yellow I can usually stomp on it and pace them lol.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Elviscat posted:

I turn my car on/off now like I am plugging in USB-A when I park because of this poo poo

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

hellotoothpaste posted:

I turn my car on/off now like I am plugging in USB-A when I park because of this poo poo

I open and shut my door, so when it's time to actually get out it plays a big whoosh noise and the screen lights up with the bow tie and stuff.

That "greeting" when you open the door fucks with me, because my fiancé's car does the same thing, but you just step on the brake and shift into drive, my car you have to push the on button. So sometimes after driving her car on a trip or w/e, I'll get into mine and sit there flicking the little gear selector nub like a moron.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

St_Ides posted:

The way GMs turn on their reverse lights when they get unlocked is some of the dumbest poo poo. Makes people slam on their brakes because they think they’re about to get backed in to.

A lot of parking lot confusion makes sense now...

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

WTFBEES posted:

I am a fan of this, particularly when it's only the driver's door opening that kills the radio. Sometimes you've gotta catch the end of the podcast before getting out of the car.

I bought a 2015 BMW 3-series, and it did not shut off the radio until you actually lock the drivers door. It feels very unnatural to get out of the car, close the door and still see the screen on and hear the radio playing.

A bluetooth adapter and a few minutes with a coding app later, and the car now shuts off the radio when you open the drivers door... most of the time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cojawfee posted:

Unless the power for the sensor for the headlights is physically switched off by setting the headlights to off, the car should know that it is dark and the headlights are off. When it detects that, it should put a "headlights off" symbol on the dash.

Why, so they can ignore that light along with the TPMS, seatbelt, and check engine lights?

ihop posted:

Our Outback is downright schizophrenic in this regard. I think it's tied to the various driver profiles but I have no idea. Sometimes the radio plays until you open the door, sometimes it keeps playing after you close it again. Sometimes there's no door chime, sometimes it won't stop until you exit the car (but only when you're trying to load/unload poo poo). If you unclick your seatbelt while the vehicle is moving it punishes you with an alarm that won't stop until you turn the car off and open the door, regardless of what you do with the seatbelt or transmission.

I am fully sick of seatbelt warnings that act like you are killing a thousand puppies.
gently caress you, I'm adult and can choose when to wear it (I always do on the road, but sometimes you're just moving around a parking lot or something... DINGDINGDINGDINGDING every 60 seconds is amazingly annoying, Ford.)

sleepy.eyes posted:

A lot of parking lot confusion makes sense now...

Yeah, that one was not well thought out. What do reverse lights typically mean, GM?

evobatman posted:

I bought a 2015 BMW 3-series, and it did not shut off the radio until you actually lock the drivers door. It feels very unnatural to get out of the car, close the door and still see the screen on and hear the radio playing.

A bluetooth adapter and a few minutes with a coding app later, and the car now shuts off the radio when you open the drivers door... most of the time.

That seems ill advised on BMW's part, given the history of their electronics tending to do their own thing as the mood takes them. I'm specifically remembering the 2000s 7-series, as I recall, that had amazing issues with power options either failing to work, only working partially, or failing to turn off, randomly. Like the head unit failing to turn off, and the power operated truck failing to open fully, if at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Darchangel posted:

I am fully sick of seatbelt warnings that act like you are killing a thousand puppies.
gently caress you, I'm adult and can choose when to wear it (I always do on the road, but sometimes you're just moving around a parking lot or something... DINGDINGDINGDINGDING every 60 seconds is amazingly annoying, Ford.)

Now imagine you have a brother in law who just doesn't want to wear a seat belt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They still make those people?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Data Graham posted:

There are even people who still smoke cigs in TYOOL 2024 or think that vaping isn't bad for their lungs.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Data Graham posted:

One of my secret criteria when we were looking at new cars was how obnoxious the seatbelt reminder was. Getting the missus to consistently wear a seat belt was so frustrating that I needed to be sure there was something that would force her to wear one when I wasn't in the car

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
smoking is cool and makes you look cool

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I had to walk away from a guy ranting that mandated seat belts are a State imposition upon freedoms.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

evobatman posted:

Take your foot off the brake pedal and push the start/stop button again, and it should shut the car off.

On a manual, you can have your foot on the brake but not the clutch, and it'll turn off and OH MAN did I ever restart the automatic SO MUCH after years of training.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Alarbus posted:

Take your foot off the brake pedal and push the start/stop button again, and it should shut the car off.

On a manual, you can have your foot on the brake but not the clutch, and it'll turn off and OH MAN did I ever restart the automatic SO MUCH after years of training.

Turning the car off twice, a perfectly normal thing. I restarted it ONCE and decided this wasn't for me.

It's only getting worse.

https://www.carthrottle.com/news/ignition-modern-bmw-doesnt-turn-until-you-lock-it-and-i-dont-get-why

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Data Graham posted:

yeah my freedumb loving coworker loves to not put his belt on, the one with the doctor/surgeon for a wife. I am baffled. In his own car he does the belt plugged into the seat always thing.. and or the belt cheater. if he gets in my car which is rare I don't go till his belt is on.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Not wearing one you are tossed free and clear and able to walk away. There was a video posted two weeks back in this forum demonstrating that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tater_salad posted:

yeah my freedumb loving coworker loves to not put his belt on, the one with the doctor/surgeon for a wife. I am baffled. In his own car he does the belt plugged into the seat always thing.. and or the belt cheater. if he gets in my car which is rare I don't go till his belt is on.

The one person like this I've ever run into died in a car accident.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Airbags can deploy at different rates. It pops much faster when you're belted, slower when the car detects no belt buckled.

It does this because the rapid deployment can cause serious injury. So cheating the car into thinking you're belted is dumb for multiple reasons.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

No. 6 posted:

Airbags can deploy at different rates. It pops much faster when you're belted, slower when the car detects no belt buckled.

It does this because the rapid deployment can cause serious injury. So cheating the car into thinking you're belted is dumb for multiple reasons.

Last thing I'm going to trust is airbags/circuits/logic/sensors on a vehicle. The entire industry is a clusterfuck.

Seatbelts are the go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Last thing I'm going to trust is airbags/circuits/logic/sensors on a vehicle. The entire industry is a clusterfuck.

Seatbelts are the go to.

I used to be skeptical about the overabundance of airbags until I got in a crash in a brand new car. The extra airbags saved me from a broken leg and a permanent neck injury

It really sucks that Takata made all of those claymore mines and reignited airbag fears, there is a reason to use more stable explosives and to better control the environment that airbags are assembled in