Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

shuuuuut uuuuup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

my coworker hit a bear

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

hellotoothpaste posted:

shuuuuut uuuuup

The most powerful snipe

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

AFewBricksShy posted:

One car stopped on a road might be indicative that there's something going on. A line of traffic, say like possibly stopped at a light, but the next lane hasn't filled up yet, is not necessarily something to slam on the brakes for. It is still a good idea that you should be cautious, which it sounds like the original poster was, as he didn't end up killing the kid. (I'm picturing this as a 4 lane road in my head, for what it's worth. I believe you have pictured it as he's going into the other lane of a 2 lane road, in which case I would agree with you.)

In St Pete it's almost certain it's a 4 lane road. There's nothing Florida loves more than suburban sprawl.

OSHA Tax:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sometimes you just gotta hike out.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

weg posted:

I knew it wasn't my fault but it hosed me up for the rest of the day. He's lucky I wasn't on my phone and driving a Miata instead of a pickup or something else large.

“He’s lucky I wasn’t breaking the law” lmfao

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

skeleton farts. smoking first.

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

That methane or whatever is probably odorless as mercaptan is added so you can smell a gas leak.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Not much was happening so I skipped ahead and suddenly the hole was on fire. It was an escalation I did not expect.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

zoomers made hating cars a meme because they're too scared to drive, and now it has gotten out of hand. smdh

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

zoomers made hating cars a meme because they're too scared to drive, and now it has gotten out of hand. smdh

They’re right

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm proud of zoomers for being sharp cynical weirdos :cheers:

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Not much was happening so I skipped ahead and suddenly the hole was on fire. It was an escalation I did not expect.

hey it's me as a teenager

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/K42uTXq.mp4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lol get transubstantiated idiot

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Anyone know what country this is from? Generally speaking you want to avoid setting fire to the archaeology.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oh loving no. Where?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dubai?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

These Boeing failures are getting out of hand.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Karate Bastard posted:

Oh loving no. Where?

Probably Dubai. They're getting 100 year-level record rainfall.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

When will Boeing get their poo poo together

OwlFancier posted:

These Boeing failures are getting out of hand.

goddamnit

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faDWFwDy8-U
probably fine to use those for your partially submergible

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

what is landing in those conditions like? would they even allowing landings when the tarmac is in this condition (read: currently a riverbed)

is the front gear rated for that, or would it just rip off

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 17, 2024

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KoRMaK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faDWFwDy8-U
probably fine to use those for your partially submergible

its free thrust

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

KoRMaK posted:

what is landing in those conditions like? would they even allowing landings when the tarmac is in this condition (read: currently a riverbed)

I think you already know the answers to these questions.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KoRMaK posted:

I mean, there's the issue that the plan HAS to land somewhere. After a certain point any flights coming into that airport are cancelled until the airport can stop being a seaport.

Until then the pilots and flight controllers have to deal with:
-How much fuel does the plane have and how long can it stay in the air?
-Where's the nearest landing strip that isn't underwater?
-Is said alternate landing strip large enough?
-Do you risk landing on the (potentially impromptu/soggy) landing strip that's clear but has little to zero instrumentation or the one that's under 3 inches of water but has all of the guidance and safety equipment to lead airplanes in?

If you can't answer these, the plane will eventually land itself but no one's going to like the result of uncontrolled lithobraking.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Alkydere posted:

I mean, there's the issue that the plan HAS to land somewhere. After a certain point any flights coming into that airport are cancelled until the airport can stop being a seaport.

Until then the pilots and flight controllers have to deal with:
-How much fuel does the plane have and how long can it stay in the air?
-Where's the nearest landing strip that isn't underwater?
-Is said alternate landing strip large enough?
-Do you risk landing on the (potentially impromptu/soggy) landing strip that's clear but has little to zero instrumentation or the one that's under 3 inches of water but has all of the guidance and safety equipment to lead airplanes in?

If you can't answer these, the plane will eventually land itself but no one's going to like the result of uncontrolled lithobraking.

Why don't they just use a seaplane? Idiots :smuggo:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I also wonder just how foundationally sound those runways will be after that much flooding even after it's all gone.

It currently being a sound is the problem, I suppose. :dadjoke:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

We have ekranoplans at home.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

also i imagine any incoming planes get diverted to abu dhabi or sharjah.
Theres a lot of international airports in the UAE, (un)surprisingly

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 18, 2024

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I'm assuming that happened pretty quickly. You're not going to be landing or taking off in that due to the risk of hydroplaning or worse.

As far as how this would work regarding: "oh poo poo we were gonna land there": you fly to your filed alternate or otherwise as directed for the capabilities of the airframe. In spite of weird 100-year-flooding, you always have the "airport's closed now" contingency as routine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yes but that's boring and surely someone out there knows what the depth cutoff is between doing a gear landing and a water body landing and if they're posting in the OSHA thread I want to hear it.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Actually this is only measured up to an 8th of an inch of standing water/wet snow/dry snow/slush/ice and given as a scale of 0-6, 0 meaning poor friction ("braking action" is the term) and 6 being dry (good braking action). Reports are given for each third of the runway, so a report of 5/4/3 describes progressive worsening of braking and directional control from touchdown to midpoint to rollout on the runway.

EDIT: what I mean to say is if there's more than 3mm of wet, to your alternate you must get.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Also it's kinda sorta subjective. The numbers are mapped to pilot reports of "good"/"good to medium"/"medium"/"medium to poor"/"poor"/"nil"

But if there's more than an 8th of an inch of water/bad braking materials, you're not gonna be allowed to land, typically.

EDIT: and even that is kinda subjective, would I land my rented 172 on a runway with half an inch of water? Absolutely not I have but one life to live and I ain't going out like that. Would I put a 767 on that runway? Maybe, if I had to.

Gomez Chamberlain fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 18, 2024

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Slugworth posted:

Well there's your problem, your props keep randomly changing speed and direction.

Apparently propeller movement isn't needed at all, so I don't think that's it.

https://i.imgur.com/k1i5See.mp4

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Conspiracy theorists claim birds aren't real when they should be talking about how helicopters aren't real

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

That door opening looks so much like a ship's bow lol

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Vlaphor posted:

Apparently propeller movement isn't needed at all, so I don't think that's it.

https://i.imgur.com/k1i5See.mp4

What, you've never seen a constant-speed rotor before?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r1gwhbNuSh1w7c2dl.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
no ring