Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

BrotherJayne posted:

Not gonna lie, any scene of him being a (step)dad had my heart melting it bit

How fuckin' BIG is the oval office though? He's gotta be like 6'6 or some poo poo

according to imdb and other sources he's 5'9"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BrotherJayne posted:

lol, pot? Meet kettle

I'll call someone out in extreme cases, like posting pages and pages of the same argument. But going "um, ackshawlly" about the technical definition versus common parlance of typo is a level of pedantic even most veteran goons don't stoop to.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FYI this pretty obviously depicts the fall and bomb as separate events.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Accipiter posted:

The date is not listed because it's either unknown, or unimportant.

The leap of "logic" you're making which insists that every single item on the chalkboard is an individual event, except the last two items are somehow one single event because... reasons, makes no sense.

I've explained my reasons fine, friend. Beth is problematic with inconsistency, context matters from that episode and previous episode, and it's a class meant for teaching children or people with special needs, hence the very simple boiler-plate entry on timeline top with a picture of explosion. I find it far easier to believe some Beth writer, prop-master, or whoever just made a mistake putting the timeline together than whatever hoops y'all are jumping through to make this work. Like I've been saying, Beth is consistent with its inconsistency.

Accipiter posted:

Again, that's not how timelines or flowcharts work. One event leads to the next, which leads to the next, which leads to the next.

This genuinely is NOT a difficult concept. If you don't understand this, then yeah, the show is aiming well above your level and you should probably find something else to occupy your time.

So your argument here is for a clear and simple chart, with a very clear and simple pattern, with a very clear and simple dates serving as entry points on that chart, with a very clear and simple facts associate with each date, and a very simple format...with the exception of the last supposed two entries, which are both vague and different. Yeah no, I'm going with the "Fall of Shady Sands" is very literal and not metaphorical like you're arguing.

Accipiter posted:

So in addition to everything else, you also don't understand keyboards. "Typo" is short for "typographical error." As in, hitting a key accidentally. You typed 2077 because you intended to type 2077. That's not a typo.

You don't understand typos that's hilariously sad.

moths posted:

I respectfully disagree.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 18, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its always a problem with games that have different endings that are wildly different. If you want to continue the story, you need to either A) create completely new characters that do stuff divorced from the original, maybe alluding to it but not directly interacting with it. Or B) You just say gently caress you to everyone who's headcannon was the ending they loved, and say Ending 1 is the true ending and that's where they go from.

There's a reason that New Vegas ends right after whatever ending you chose, because they all change the landscape of New Vegas and its surrounding area in a huge way. It would be extremely difficult to account for everything for a post game, so they don't have one.

Sounds like the Fallout writers decided that in the show one of the endings happened.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Back Hack posted:

I respectfully disagree.

An arrow in a flowchart full of pictograms typically implies either some kind of cause and effect or a passage of time. You're being silly.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'll call someone out in extreme cases, like posting pages and pages of the same argument. But going "um, ackshawlly" about the technical definition versus common parlance of typo is a level of pedantic even most veteran goons don't stoop to.

Fair!

moths posted:

No it doesn't, this is clearly a Todd Howard/Rainbow BLM collaborative action specificly formulated to step on back hack's dick, despite whatever they definitely have stated about the nuking happening right after new vegas or the timeline implied by the age of Maximus.

Open your eyes, sheeple

twistedmentat posted:

Sounds like the Fallout writers decided that in the show one of the endings happened.

With regards to both fnv and fo4

Kinda excited to see what the canon outcome was

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

This whole thing stinks of a coverup. If Goosey doesn't pick up an Alien Blaster by the end of the next season, I'm gonna well I don't know what.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

covidstomper58 posted:

This whole thing stinks of a coverup. If Goosey doesn't pick up an Alien Blaster by the end of the next season, I'm gonna well I don't know what.

Wait, can synths utilize alien tech?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I agree entirely that Bethesda is super inconsistent and careless with lore, but that's why the date stuff doesn't matter. As far as "canon" goes, Todd Howard said NV happened, the bomb fell right after NV & no one at Bethesda cares at all about "when" any of that happened.

Anyways, I'm watching ep 8 and in writing/story this has felt way more like Fallout than FO3/4 did for me. It is funny when Bethesda mainstays show up like missing parent/child and cryonics though. I really love how dumb the Brotherhood is, too.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

An arrow in a flowchart full of pictograms typically implies either some kind of cause and effect or a passage of time. You're being silly.

I'm saying the picture not part of the flowchart.

Nancy posted:

I agree entirely that Bethesda is super inconsistent and careless with lore, but that's why the date stuff doesn't matter. As far as "canon" goes, Todd Howard said NV happened, the bomb fell right after NV & no one at Bethesda cares at all about "when" any of that happened.

Thank you, someone gets it.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 18, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

It would be extremely difficult to account for everything for a post game, so they don't have one.

They did at one time have plans to include one I believe but ran out of time. As you say it would've changed up everything a lot so would've been a bunch of effort, which would certainly be a big part of why they decided to cut it thought.

But yeah, you're right about sequels to multiple ending stuff. What ever you chose it's probably going to make some people unhappy. Deus Ex chose the interesting route of just saying all endings happened. It was certainly a choice, but the Deus Ex sequel just was not a good game in general, so I think people just pretend it doesn't exist because it sucks, not became of how the chose to do deal with the endings thing. .

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BrotherJayne posted:

Wait, can synths utilize alien tech?

Sooo, in fallout 4 you can get a synth companion -two actually- and I assume like all other companions you can equip them with any weapon you can use.

So yes!

Does this mean they are in cahoots with the zetans? Well, I don't think this 100% proves anything, but it's certainly very suspicious if you ask me!!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not like it's new to pick an ending in Fallout anyway. Fallout 1 the Vault Dweller saved Tandi, got the water chip in time, and destroyed the Master instead of joining him. Fallout 2 the Chosen One helped the NCR win the political wrangling between them, New Reno, and Vault City for control of the area, then destroyed the Enclave. Fallout 3 the Lone Wanderer got the water chip and destroyed the Enclave again. New Vegas the Courier ??? but they'll pick something and it's probably not the Legion, though any of the other three could work. Fallout 4 the Sole Survivor destroyed the Institute and uh... I think the Minuteman ending you don't blow up the Prydwen so that one.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It'd be funny if they picked the NCR ending, then nuked the NCR. Whoops sorry yall!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Fallout 4 the Sole Survivor destroyed the Institute and uh... I think the Minuteman ending you don't blow up the Prydwen so that one.

Minutemen blowing up the prydwen is an optional quest. So it could be them or the Brotherhood. Both of them you blow up the institute, Brotherhood you kill all the Railroad as well.

Other than destroying the railroad then I don't think there would be much of a difference between the two endings, unless I'm forgetting something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

It'd be funny if they picked the NCR ending, then nuked the NCR. Whoops sorry yall!

NCR still going strong in Vegas and they have some choice words for any wayward Vault Ds

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I don't think it'd be too hard to sidestep and be vague about most ending situations from NV, aside from total Legion victory.

Aside, I feel like the writers were cribbing notes from Lonesome Road with the whole Moldaver sequence at the end re:NCR remnants hanging out above a nuked out city with some unceasing brutal violence moralizing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Grand Fromage posted:

then destroyed the Enclave.

I don't know why we bothered. The Enclave has been wiped out multiple times now, for all the good it does.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey if the Enclave and Brotherhood and Super Mutants can keep showing up after repeatedly getting their asses kicked then the NCR can show up as the New NCR or something because War Never Changes and Neither Do Franchise Mascots.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Honestly, I'd be okay with that and it'd be an interesting to really fully explore that avenue. A disenfranchise Army, still in control of New Vegas and all the surrounding infrastructure, holding onto the last crumb of culture and law of a country that no longer exists, and completely directionless.

E: We're probably going to just get BoS vs Enclase.

Major Major Major
Apr 23, 2014
Everyone keeps referring to the airship as the Prydwen but in all the promo material they refer to it as the Caswennan (https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/11/fallout-first-look).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Back Hack posted:

I'm saying the picture not part of the flowchart.

Yeah it is? It clearly is. I'm trying really hard not to write something that's not just "you dumb idiot" but christ. There's a line with an arrow separating the fall and the nuke, just like every other separate event in the flow chart.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Apparently there were plans for the NCR to have lost contact with Shady Sands in either Van Buren or New Vegas’ design documents.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's just kinda rich to make the argument that Bethesda isn't giving New Vegas its due when major plot threads and character motivations revolve around what happened to the NCR and the season ends with a big "Here comes New Vegas!" stinger

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I sometimes wonder how these misunderstandings spread, like if just one person misinterprets it and posts about it then everyone else who sees that interpretation gets poisoned by it and that interpretation becomes viral. In spite of it being completely obvious with a clean reading that it doesn't convey what they all say it does.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
there's parts of the fanbase that have made Fallout New Vegas part of their identity in a way that is on par with star wars/40k nerds.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They're probably going to do a combination of NV endings, but I just don't see them not including Mr House. The visual opportunity of the desiccated cryo-corpse is enough to guarantee he's there.

There's also gotta be Legion remnant hanging around because the costume design is fun. House probably won, but with the Legion blowing up the Hoover Dam as a sore loser move. New Vegas struggles for electricity so House trades a nuke to Hank MacLean/Vault Tec for reliable Fusion power.

The simplest explanation for the 2277 "Fall of Shady Sands" thing is just a production error rather than actual malice. They wanted the nuke to be set after the Battle of the Hoover Dam, but copied the date for the wrong battle.

In Universe, there's no reason to draw a flow chart that way, to include the year for an untangible "fall" and then not include a year for the most important thing 4+ years later. It's also poor production design.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

It's just kinda rich to make the argument that Bethesda isn't giving New Vegas its due when major plot threads and character motivations revolve around what happened to the NCR and the season ends with a big "Here comes New Vegas!" stinger

Why do you find it such a stretch for someone to be disappointed the thing they liked coming to a very definite end, whose representation is mostly characters in the show lamenting about the thing they like coming to a very definite end?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

xerxus posted:

They're probably going to do a combination of NV endings, but I just don't see them not including Mr House. The visual opportunity of the desiccated cryo-corpse is enough to guarantee he's there.

They've already shown house, so bringing him back makes sense. Also as well as the Desiccated cyro-corpse factor, house is just fun character. I can imagine the writers would love to take the opportunity to write for him. Rip Rene Auberjonois though. Thought the new actor did a decent job at young House at least.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
My favorite faction in this season was the one with like 3 guys, two dressed like Supertroopers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Red Rox posted:

My favorite faction in this season was the one with like 3 guys, two dressed like Supertroopers.

Hey, you gotta re-start society from somewhere!

Their town seemed nice.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Oh are you talking about the President?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Yeah the Govunmint and the Presodent

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

xerxus posted:

The simplest explanation for the 2277 "Fall of Shady Sands" thing is just a production error rather than actual malice. They wanted the nuke to be set after the Battle of the Hoover Dam, but copied the date for the wrong battle.

In Universe, there's no reason to draw a flow chart that way, to include the year for an untangible "fall" and then not include a year for the most important thing 4+ years later. It's also poor production design.

Absolutely this. The blackboard scene is the big exposition dump of the show, and the way it's presented makes absolutely no sense. Of course people are confused and no it's not because they were looking at their phones or their whole identity is built around a 14 year old game or whatever the gently caress else you want to blame it on to feel like you're the cooler, smarter tv watcher who watches tv better than everyone else.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

grobbo posted:

As a nice surprise, they should have a veteran adventuring party in S2 made up of the working Hollywood actors who did a quick VA gig for some 1997 video game and haven't thought about it since.

Clancy Brown, Keith David, and Tony Shalhoub all wandering the wastes together.

Honestly, have them find some skeletons sitting around a campfire with three holotapes, one next to each of them. Probably easier to get three actors to record a few lines than it is to have them show up.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

counterfeitsaint posted:

Absolutely this. The blackboard scene is the big exposition dump of the show, and the way it's presented makes absolutely no sense. Of course people are confused and no it's not because they were looking at their phones or their whole identity is built around a 14 year old game or whatever the gently caress else you want to blame it on to feel like you're the cooler, smarter tv watcher who watches tv better than everyone else.

the big exposition dump happens in episode 8. The vault 4 episodes are primarily about character growth. Lucy's work in Vault 33 is about teaching history to kids, and the episode and the shady sands crater ep are both dedicated to her coming to the realization that her entire life has been a lie. History has marched on without Vault Dwellers coming out to do Reclamation Day and restart civilization. It tells her that there was a thriving society above ground that was mysteriously destroyed but it's survivors are still clinging on - living in a vault no less.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Maybe "what year is it?" is not consistent among different communities due to errors with chronometers or computers rebooting in the immediate years after the war. If it bugs you that much make that your head cannon.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Here's a thing that stood out to me regarding the chalkboard that muddles up the years debate some more:

The Dutch subtitles set the date to 2291, whereas it still says 2277 on the chalkboard. Makes me wonder if they're going to eventually update this scene down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Even the Bethesda Shows need a Patch. :lmao:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/80767

Cooper Howard Preset if anyone wants it.