Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Infinitum posted:

What happens if they aren't able to seat a full set of jurors + alternatives?

Do they just bring in the next pool to sort through? Or would the Judge alone hear the case?

He has a constitutional right to trial by jury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kazil posted:

What if we were to suspend habeus corpus

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've torn down political signs of a Democrat before. In my defense they were Mike Bloomberg signs and they were illegally posted

Don't you have somewhere to be, Juror 4?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1780957576319922288?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

So it happened more than 20 years ago, and the advertisements that were ripped down was on the right-wing of politics. Sounds like the Trumpers have found their Antifa sleeper agent they will now crow about until the heat death of the universe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Stupendously obvious poo poo so naturally the media couldn’t figure this out on their own.

There's a few issues with that. First, obviously certain media groups want the jurors identified. So asking them to stop doesn't do jack poo poo. The second, and much more critical problem, is that a lot of this stuff is in the public record and it's public for very good reason. We do not want trials behind closed doors, especially not politically sensitive trials. As much as Trump screams about how unfair his incredibly privileged life is, anyone can just read the court records and see exactly how fair it was. And the jury selection has to be part of that public record. The lawyers aren't asking questions with personal information to doxx the jurors, the information being gathered is relevant to if they can be impartial; even Trump's attorneys are doing what they can to minimize juror exposure which I'm honestly surprised by. But anyone willing and motivated to do some legwork will be able to figure out who these jurors are from public information.

So it would be nice if the media could try to protect the jurors, it's not a realistic possibility

Edit: Someone put up some racist political signs all over campus during Trump's 2016 campaign and I spent a morning tearing them all down.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I can't believe the liberals are trying to railroad Trump with this biased jury of professional anarchists.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Disco Pope posted:

Oh no. At this rate, they'll invoke the anti-jurors within the hour.

Fools! You can't let jurors and anti-jurors touch it'll cause a massive explosion!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
All well and good, but I’ve seen some frankly baffling priorities from the press, with CNN headlining their website the other day with “THIS IS WHAT WE KNOW OF THE JURORS: NURSE” etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BigglesSWE posted:

Stupendously obvious poo poo so naturally the media couldn’t figure this out on their own.
Or they want to help Trump

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
I've seen enough.

COMPLETE EXONERATION!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if there are bookies keeping odds on the number of jurors interviewed until all 18 are seated. I’d guess we’re looking at an over/under of 60 with the way this circus is going.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Trump was quoted as saying: Honk, shoo, mimimi. Honk, shoo, mimimi.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Toxic Mental posted:

Trump was quoted as saying: Honk, shoo, mimimi. Honk, shoo, mimimi.

Jeff gonna sue "TRUMP" for trademark infringement

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol stonks back in the green

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

All well and good, but I’ve seen some frankly baffling priorities from the press, with CNN headlining their website the other day with “THIS IS WHAT WE KNOW OF THE JURORS: NURSE” etc.

I agree they shouldn't do that. My point was that it's genuinely impossible to stop the bad actors in this case. They're welcome to try to stuff the genie back in that bottle, it's just not going to do them much good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BigglesSWE posted:

I mean their priorities are
1. More eyeballs NOW
2. Maximize Trump ratings

98. Inform the public

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

funeral home DJ posted:

I wonder if there are bookies keeping odds on the number of jurors interviewed until all 18 are seated. I’d guess we’re looking at an over/under of 60 with the way this circus is going.

nice actually proper use of over/under

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

nice actually proper use of over/under

over / under usually ends in a .5 so there arn't ties

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
LOL trump looks like hammered dog poo poo

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
last night's episode of Jimmy Kimmel was pretty good. he spent a lot of time inferring that Trump wears diapers which suggests to me his writing staff is mostly goons

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm starting to wonder if juror #4 is missing because there's already been an incident.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The jury's not sending a man to die by the gallows. The stakes are whether or not some real estate guy gets 6 months of probation.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if any of the potential jurors have stated they don't want to do it out of fear of being outed by trump and harassed/threatened for the rest of their lives

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I'm gonna bet Juror 4 knows they are going to be excused and just hosed off

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
With each side limited to 10 removals, and with the defense only needing one bad apple to spoil the trial, I think hanging hopes on a conviction here is going to result in Goons needing to load up on antacids. Just focus on beating him in November.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I wonder if any of the potential jurors have stated they don't want to do it out of fear of being outed by trump and harassed/threatened for the rest of their lives

That is explicitly why juror #2 asked to be released.

It has occurred to me that they might need to renumber them if they keep dropping before the trial starts.

kazil posted:

I'm gonna bet Juror 4 knows they are going to be excused and just hosed off

It's possible, but if the court asked me to be there at 9:15, I'd be in that courtroom at 9 so there'd be no chance of getting a judicial smackdown.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

With each side limited to 10 removals, and with the defense only needing one bad apple to spoil the trial, I think hanging hopes on a conviction here is going to result in Goons needing to load up on antacids. Just focus on beating him in November.

It's not like after the 10 the judge just lets anyone on the jury. They interview them and if there is an obvious conflict the judge dismisses them

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

He was never serving any time in jail if convicted anyway. House arrest at best which he'd just ignore.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Alternate jurors are a thing. The system has ways of dealing with one holdout lunatic that managed to sneak into the trial

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

There's ten voir dire removals per side. There's unlimited removals for cause.

Voir dire is not just a folder Trump found on his son's laptop

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nessus posted:

Or they want to help Trump

Their immediate concern is story circulation. That's roughly it. They'll throw that trial in a river and let Trump eat Cheerios out of the prosecutor's hollowed skull if they were allowed to and their reporting on it generated the most clicks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The jury's not sending a man to die by the gallows. The stakes are whether or not some real estate guy gets 6 months of probation.

Cohen got 3 years for lying about the finances. If Covid didn't hit, he would just be getting out. I'd expect no less for Trump.

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1780957576319922288?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

So it happened more than 20 years ago, and the advertisements that were ripped down was on the right-wing of politics. Sounds like the Trumpers have found their Antifa sleeper agent they will now crow about until the heat death of the universe.

more than 20 years ago trump himself was probably making GBS threads on republicans constantly

actually he was probably making GBS threads on republicans yesterday, because fox news accidentally reported a fact, or devin nunes ran too fast and in his eagerness to serve his master spilled the diet coke after the button was pressed or something

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kazil posted:

Jury of his peers

But the berder king stands above all, without a peer

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

sleeping again

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trump only needs to be sentenced to like 6 months of prison and that's him basically sitting out the election which would be hilarious 😂

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1780960157955964930?t=WppdODE-hNcIAt2u-yJmfQ&s=19

Cool country. Cool cool cool.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Froghammer posted:

Alternate jurors are a thing. The system has ways of dealing with one holdout lunatic that managed to sneak into the trial

Once they're in the jury room deliberating, they can't be swapped out. The alts are there so that when a juror is overheard on the phone saying, "Time to nail that orange bastard for raising my rent!" or a juror slips out of the hotel room to talk with Fox News or a juror gets hit by a boat parade that they can just drop in someone else. It's not there to weigh the scales of voting.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Froghammer posted:

Maybe I'll be corrected, but I'm quite sure that's not why alternates exist. Unless evidence shows up after the jury is selected showing one lied or is biased or becomes tainted somehow, you can't just swap a juror out because they disagree with the consensus and can't reach a verdict.

That is to say, the jury's decision has to be unanimous, you can't just effectively turn it into best 12 out of 16 or whatever by kicking jurors who refuse to agree. Unless they stupidly reveal during deliberations "Ha ha! I will never convict! TRUMP 2024 MAGA!" if they just say "I don't think the Prosecution met their burden of proof." over and over you can't kick them out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol DJT is going to break $30 again