Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

She always has it. I’ve killed her in 9 playthroughs now

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zodium posted:

yep. buying up dammon's, mattis' and derryl in the myconid colony's attitudes is a no-brainer, especially since derryl becomes a great alchemy vendor once you retrieve the noblestalk, in addition to selling cloud giant elixirs, noblestalks and other good stuff. dammon and mattis can be done for 800 total if you don't level up before getting into the grove. dammon is available in all three acts, and all three appear in act 3.

edit: make sure you aren't shapeshifted when you do it, or remember what shape you were, since it'll only apply to that.

the discount is not slight, it's massive. caps out at -200% for ca. 15 persuasion and 100 attitude, and also applies to selling prices.

Yeah if you get to -200% it's pretty hilarious. It actually becomes difficult to sell poo poo to the vendor because a few generic heavy armor pieces exhaust their entire loving gold supply lol. Dammon was always broke it would take me several long rests to unload all my crap after a mission.

Also no need to pay more than 400. Respec your highest persuasion person to level 1, buy max approval, level back up, steal respec fee from Withers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vendors will drop their 3 most valuable items by gold when killed, which usually gets you what you want but not always!!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shwqa posted:

For another crime, you can just kill the shop vendor that sells the cat grace clothing. She is all by herself in the mountain area and she is a jerk. On honor mode, that is a saving of over 2,000 gold in act 1.

hell, you should kill her even if she didn't.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Snowy posted:

I just realized I was supposed to give the dowry ring back to the dude in the burning building and shouldn’t have vendored it. Took a while but I was able eventually find the vendor who still had it in their inventory. I love that I was able to get it back.

The only downside of vendors keeping all that stuff is when I go back I’m not sure what their good stuff is and what I had unloaded on them.

It’s my first playthrough and I’m constantly thinking I’m choosing the wrong equipment and end up standing at the vendor way too long with choice paralysis

For newer players, it's important to emphasize that you in no way need to optimize at all to beat the game, at least on Normal difficulty. I recently finished my first playthrough (started in September lol) using Paladin Tav, Shadowheart, Gale, and Lae'zel/Karlach. I was crushing people in Act 3 outside of the House of Grief fight, which was the only one I needed to retry a few times. I do have a decent grasp of how 5e combat works, which helps a lot, but I'm no master tactician.

Things I didn't do:
1) Use poisons, elixirs, or (non-healing) potions more than like 5 times total
2) Multiclass
3) Do any crazy build/gear/party synergys
4) Pickpocket
5) Use buffbots (outside of Wyll casting Longstrider on the party each day starting in Act 3)
6) Optimize spell usage. I can't keep all the spells straight, so Gale largely stuck with cantrips, Fireball, Magic Missile, and Counterspell. He pulled out the occasional Hold Monster or Disintegrate near the end.

Things I did do:
1) Smite motherfuckers with my Paladin
2) Unlock tadpole powers (Tav only) and got the (tadpole spoiler) Awakened bonus from the Zaith’isk Chair
3) Explore a lot and not skip things (this brings in enough XP to keep level higher)
4) Respec Shadowheart to Light cleric with better starting stats, which helps a lot in Act 2

By all means do all the optimizing you want, for many people that is a big part of what makes the game fun, but don't feel paralyzed if you feel you are missing something or doing something less than perfectly. You can miss a ton of things and still have fun and do well in the game. It's not old-school where you can easily screw yourself by making a suboptimal choice early on.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I knocked out the insufferable, wannabe egg thief and stole everything.

Given that I hang out with other Society of Brilliance people later (despite knowing they have some godawful members) I didn’t want to really just murder their random hire.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Docjowles posted:

Also make sure you pick up the purple gem in the spider's lair which allows you to open the Necromancy book. Assuming you've found that :v: It's small and easy to miss.

I missed it completely and only went back to get it because I looked up a guide once I found the tome in the cellar.

This game freaking owns!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Medullah posted:

I did it just the other day. Sell bag to vendor, open bag, put all their stuff in it, open a bag yourself, drag everything into that bag, close interface.

I am requesting you share even more details, for a big dumb idiot, because I can’t make this work.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am requesting you share even more details, for a big dumb idiot, because I can’t make this work.

There was a patch the other day, let me log in and try to steal steal steal.

Pay no mind to the level 12 characters in Act 1.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I could be wrong, but I believe vendors don't have everything available as loot. You risk her not dropping it.

As far as I can tell, you lose almost all the non-unique items from their inventory and gold. You get all their unique items. In my honor mode run, I just stole as much as I could from her until I got caught and then knocked her out. There was some patch where you got all their loot when you knocked them out over kill, but that seems to be patched out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiP2dq2CjlE

I forgot one step, you don't drag the items into the bag itself, you drop them on the icon. Here's a video of it.

Edit - PC only from what I understand.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiP2dq2CjlE

I forgot one step, you don't drag the items into the bag itself, you drop them on the icon. Here's a video of it.

Edit - PC only from what I understand.

lol what the gently caress. I am once again demanding to see Larian's bag spaghetti code. The exploits are just endles

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

pthighs posted:

For newer players, it's important to emphasize that you in no way need to optimize at all to beat the game, at least on Normal difficulty. I recently finished my first playthrough (started in September lol) using Paladin Tav, Shadowheart, Gale, and Lae'zel/Karlach. I was crushing people in Act 3 outside of the House of Grief fight, which was the only one I needed to retry a few times. I do have a decent grasp of how 5e combat works, which helps a lot, but I'm no master tactician.

Things I didn't do:
1) Use poisons, elixirs, or (non-healing) potions more than like 5 times total
2) Multiclass
3) Do any crazy build/gear/party synergys
4) Pickpocket
5) Use buffbots (outside of Wyll casting Longstrider on the party each day starting in Act 3)
6) Optimize spell usage. I can't keep all the spells straight, so Gale largely stuck with cantrips, Fireball, Magic Missile, and Counterspell. He pulled out the occasional Hold Monster or Disintegrate near the end.

Things I did do:
1) Smite motherfuckers with my Paladin
2) Unlock tadpole powers (Tav only) and got the (tadpole spoiler) Awakened bonus from the Zaith’isk Chair
3) Explore a lot and not skip things (this brings in enough XP to keep level higher)
4) Respec Shadowheart to Light cleric with better starting stats, which helps a lot in Act 2

By all means do all the optimizing you want, for many people that is a big part of what makes the game fun, but don't feel paralyzed if you feel you are missing something or doing something less than perfectly. You can miss a ton of things and still have fun and do well in the game. It's not old-school where you can easily screw yourself by making a suboptimal choice early on.

a few comments here:

1) the difficulty curve is inverted such that act 1 is the hardest and requires the most optimization, and the game gets less difficult from there.
2) normal is dramatically easier than tactician, which is somewhat easier than honor mode.
3) probably the most important thing to optimize is your experience gain, which you did do.

with that said, i think your general point is right for a different reason: for 99% of the game, you have complete freedom to optimize for a concrete problem, and that's way more fun than trying to guess what larian might throw at you fifty hours worth of game later. you never ever need to feel like you might screw yourself or soft-lock your progress, because you can simply respec and change your gear and boom, you're basically a whole new character. even on honor mode, you can just chug an invisibility potion and run away. it's a very well designed game and you can trust it not to screw you over unexpectedly. play how you like until you hit a wall and then assess how to deal with it.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

I used the ranged "knock enemy back" attack and I thought it would knock the spider onto the level below, instead it knocked the spider into the bottomless pit. Instant kill. Hope they didn't have good loot lol

In your case, the real loot is the friends you make along the way by using Spaw to make a spider matriarch spore zombie

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

discovered the rat revolutionary in the sharess' caress cellar tonight and had a good chuckle

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hell yeah communist rat rules :ussr:

Imagine not having speak with animals up at all times. There are so many weird and awesome interactions. They’re rarely “important” but they usually own

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Hell yeah communist rat rules :ussr:

Imagine not having speak with animals up at all times. There are so many weird and awesome interactions. They’re rarely “important” but they usually own

My first run through I didn't learn what a ritual spell was until near the end of act 1 so I didn't take advantage of it nearly as often as I should have.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Zodium posted:

discovered the rat revolutionary in the sharess' caress cellar tonight and had a good chuckle

Now to activate Spirit Guardians on Shadowheart and pop some bubble wrap

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

Now to activate Spirit Guardians on Shadowheart and pop some bubble wrap

Make sure to drink first so you get the "kill 20 things while drunk" achievement!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Medullah posted:

Make sure to drink first so you get the "kill 20 things while drunk" achievement!

drat that’s big brain. One of the few achievements I have left lol

Also the Gortash one even though I’m reasonably sure I never triggered anything :confused:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

drat that’s big brain. One of the few achievements I have left lol

Also the Gortash one even though I’m reasonably sure I never triggered anything :confused:

Yeah I was feeling super proud of myself for thinking of that then I searched and found everyone had thought of that haha. Bubble wrap is the perfect description

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So... question. Act 1 stuff, but I'll spoiler it anyway just in case.

I wanna trigger the attack on the Grove, but side with the Tieflings/druids. There's a lot I want to make sure I get done beforehand, but the main thing on my mind is Halsin. Does anything happen to him if I do the raid on the grove before finding him? Or can I safely wait until after the raid to release him? I figure I should make sure to do anything else involving the Grove and the Goblins before that, too, naturally. I also plan to knock Minthara out and recruit her later, and I know I can do that at the Grove Raid. I want Sazza to survive too, I know I have to defend her to Minthara at the Goblin Camp, but does Sazza join the raid too? I can knock her out too, I'm just curious.

...Also, can I poison the booze tub and still trigger the raid?

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 18, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BlazetheInferno posted:

So... question. Act 1 stuff, but I'll spoiler it anyway just in case.

I wanna trigger the attack on the Grove, but side with the Tieflings/druids. There's a lot I want to make sure I get done beforehand, but the main thing on my mind is Halsin. Does anything happen to him if I do the raid on the grove before finding him? Or can I safely wait until after the raid to release him? I figure I should make sure to do anything else involving the Grove and the Goblins before that, too, naturally. I also plan to knock Minthara out and recruit her later, and I know I can do that at the Grove Raid. I want Sazza to survive too, I know I have to defend her to Minthara at the Goblin Camp, but does Sazza join the raid too? I can knock her out too, I'm just curious.

...Also, can I poison the booze tub and still trigger the raid?

before approaching minthara, do everything in the goblin camp, including poisoning the tub and assassinating everyone, except in minthara and droz's rooms, for a hefty chunk of experience and gold. do talk to droz before that too obviously. then talk to minthara, have her spare sazza, go talk to sazza in the center room, talk to minthara, wait for her to leave, kill droz, go to the grove, long rest, find doni and the other small pre raid stuff, then walk up on the wall and trigger the raid.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I agree that the first part of the game is the hardest, and I feel like that's a larian principle at this point. The hardest fight in dos2 is the crocs and it's not even close.

Anyone struggling with house of grief needs to open their drat spellbook though, that's the easiest fight in act 3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've never had trouble with House of Grief because ultimately you just have to kill things fast, which is what any strong endgame party allows you to do. Cazador is much scarier as far as Act 3 encounters than can instantly end your HM run go.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I played a few hours of BG3 at some point during Early Access, but never actually dug into the final game until a few days ago. Which is too bad, because I don't think a game has sucked me in quite this thoroughly since the main story of Shadowbringers. I'm rolling as Zehra, a very, maybe overly nice tiefling Oath of the Ancients Paladin, and jumping 60 feet to tag some poor goblin or racist (no shortage of those, considering the race I'm playing as) with a Divine Smite while shrugging off any retaliation is so very, incredibly satisfying! I don't know if huge leaps to cover distance are the correct/meta way to get into melee range, but they are incredibly fun. So is setting up a sneak attack + traps + arena hazards trap so effective that the phase spider matriarch doesn't land a single hit on anyone.

also i really love how she turned out though I was hoping for more of a grey skin tone, oh well she's still beautiful

also i found a puppy

also this scene was really really cute :allears:

I could just go on for a while about all the bits I like, but there are a couple of things that are kind of tripping me up. Shadowheart as a character is cool, but I can't really figure out what she should be doing; she just seems like a version of my paladin with most of the damage and heals shaved off in exchange for some...stealth??? options. I just got Spirit Guardians, which helps quite a bit, but I feel like something's missing, even if it's as simple as "respec" (but to what?) or 'use different gear." I don't know if she should be mixing it up as a semi-tanky caster in melee, or hanging back as more of a pure caster, or if I'm just being dumb and doing dumb things like a dumb dummy.

The other thing that's tripping me up is...not really a bad thing, but my god is this game massive. I have about 20 hours on my current game, and I don't think I'm even halfway through the first chapter. Just talking to everyone and getting most or all of the quests in the Grove unlocked took a couple of days! It's just a bit overwhelming to decide where to go when you have so many little marks in your journal. Then you finish that and it unlocks more stuff in turn and :psyduck: I see how people are spending like 120-150 hours for a single playthrough.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Another update from me, the world’s slowest gamer.

Just got to the spider cave below the goblin camp in Act 1. I chatted with goblins and somehow they are chill with me walking around. But I went exploring and found the spiders and am now fighting the matriarch. It’s a fun fight how she keeps spawning lil babies from eggs. Was trying to figure out a way to sneak up and kill the extra spiders before engaging with the momma spider but didn’t find anything so far. Will try the fight again tomorrow.

This is a fun game :)

On my latest honor mode run I got to the point where I usually do the spider cave. Sent Astarion in to break all the eggs as usual. I guess he failed a stealth check because mama spider noticed him and uh long story short there’s like 25 spiders in there now lol. Maybe I’ll check back in 3 levels

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Shadowheart's kit makes sense for her backstory as you'll eventually discover, but is kinda dogshit for actually playing her in your game. You can of course re-spec her into several other powerful cleric formations, but even without doing that you can get mileage out of keeping her focused on support.

You already know Spirit Guardians is very good, and Spiritual Weapon is useful just for getting more hit points out in the field to soak attacks (it's entirely middling at actually damaging anything other than the paltriest of mooks), but Bless is an easily slept on spell. Once you start putting that out on your crew, you'll wonder how you lived without it, especially if you have someone using one of the -5 to hit/+10 to damage feats. There is a lot of gear that synergizes very well for a support Shadowheart who also dips into radiant damage.

Also, regarding skin tone for your Tav (looks good btw!), if you access the magic mirror you should be able to go to skin tone and there will be a button that opens up every possible skin tone you can have rather than just the ones that are default for your race. I think there's a few grays in there?

As far as gearing your paladin, there are a few pieces that are VERY easy to miss that are by no means required, but are definitely nice to have, especially early game. If you're interested, I'll spoiler some vague hints so you still have to figure it out, but you at least know where/when to keep your eyes peeled. The spoilers before the dashes are broad general location, and the spoilers after the dashes are clues about those locations.

Tollhouse on the Risen Road - look for a place to have a nice seat... or two.

Rosymorn Monastary Roof - hop beyond where large birds perch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Clerics are an amazing class overall but Shadowheart's stat spread is terrible for what they're good at in BG3 and Trickery Domain is one of the weakest subclasses. Light, Life and Tempest are the strongest domains although thematically you can just keep Shadowheart as-is and roll everything with Spirit Guardians + the radiant orb gear you find in Act 2.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

had another fun close call when I decided to rob gortash's office before going to the coronation. I cast greater invisibility and move for the painting and opulent chest first, and ... reflexively click take all, fail a stealth check, and enter combat with two black gauntlets, two iron consuls and a steel watcher, while wearing cat's grace, crusher's ring and boots of speed for a whopping 17ac, and no weapon coating. oops. big oops. unprepared fights are not my cup of tea, but even at level 11 without Command, (irenicus voice) Control Bard cannot be contained.

the steel watcher goes first. he dashes to about 1m away from me. I hit him with a flashblinder for the 1-turn stun and follow with an arrow of many targets, building up 6 arcane acuity stacks, and use my band of the mystic scoundrel bonus action to upcast hold person on the banites, which thankfully lands on three of four at 80% chance, then activate the nearby flamethrower trap before running back into the nook. next round, I kill the unheld banite with ranged flourishes to cap my arcane acuity stacks, and black hole everyone in front of the flamethrower trap. they all eat 20-40 damage, but the steel watcher gets a turn and immediately takes me to about 30 hp with a critical, because of course it does. one more hit and solo hm run is over. and he will hit if he gets an attack. fortunately, I made my concentration save on hold person, and I'd stocked up on flashblinders. with about 10 to throw around, I keep using my first attack to stun him and follow up with a ranged flourish or construct killing arrow, while the flamethrower keeps grilling the banites until everything except me is dead.

probably spent 15 minutes planning it out before acting, and it worked almost perfectly. was trying to avoid any high stakes fighting until I got Command at level 12, but very satisfying. i love this game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm trying to do a slightly more evil run but I am awful at evil stuff so it's been tough.

Is it possible to do a run where you -

- Romance Karlach
- Save Wyll
- Get Minthara in the party

I have a feeling the first two are contradictory to the third, but if there's a path to take I'd be interested to hear it. Just trying to use party members I didn't use first run through.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
They are not contradictory at all, just knock out Minty in act 1 so she's on trial in Moonrise in act 2. The trouble is if you want to sack the grove cos Wyll and Karl don't like that

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Holy poo poo they are adding more endings in the next patch. Also adding modding tools. And they talk about future updates as well including photo mode. loving forever game.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/4172097464031362567

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shard posted:

Holy poo poo they are adding more endings in the next patch. Also adding modding tools. And they talk about future updates as well including photo mode. loving forever game.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/4172097464031362567

Hell yeah, gonna make my naked dwarf get selfies with Withers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

They are not contradictory at all, just knock out Minty in act 1 so she's on trial in Moonrise in act 2. The trouble is if you want to sack the grove cos Wyll and Karl don't like that

Incidentally, on a recent playthrough I told Minthara the location of the Grove for the first time, then betrayed her and fought her there, and it was like the coolest battle in the entire game? It's absurd how missable it is when by all rights it should be the climax of Act 1.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

We still have a few tricks up our sleeve.

We’re working on our next game update, Patch 7, which will add improved evil endings to the game for even darker conclusions to your most sinister playthroughs, and yes, that includes you non-Durge players.

Without giving too much away, here’s a little teaser for what’s to come: be warned, there may be spoilers!

So nothing I'll ever experience.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

modding tools :captainpop:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Zodium posted:

Baldur's gate 3 with guns confirmed

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Zodium posted:

Larian posted:

This next patch will also begin introducing our official modding tools, letting you change up visuals, animations, sounds, stats, and more to overhaul Baldur’s Gate 3 into the weird nightmare realm of your dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

EorayMel posted:

Baldur's gate 3 with guns confirmed

Baldur's Gat