Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OceanCyclone
May 29, 2022

Mayor of Yambag City
AITA for making the Age of Empires 2 'new villager' sound when my wife gave birth to our first child?

quote:

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

Just over a week ago, my wife gave birth to our first child. I got called about it during work and rushed to the hospital to be with her during the labour. It was obviously a very stressful time, as it took more than 15 hours from start to the end, but finally our little one was born and was healthy.

I was in the room for nearly the entire time (other than briefly heading out for food, toilet etc), holding her hand and being the 'punching bag' as she swore during certain times during the worst of it. As it was getting towards the end, just as the head was coming out (and it all happened very quickly from then), more medical staff came into the room and I am someone who gets nervous around lots of people. I think because of that nervousness, I was talking a bit more, introducing myself to the new people coming in, making jokes (saying I hope it's not a bad omen that the weather is so bad, because a thunderstorm had started outside that we could hear) and then when our baby finally came out fully, at that second, I made the Age Of Empires 2 'new villager' sound ("Shhhh hoooh") as a joke, but I think only my wife understood the reference (as the doctor and nurses gave no reaction) and the look she gave me could have sunk a thousand ships, she looked so so angry, before then seeing our little one and finally smiling (but didn't look at me for about half an hour, and even then she was really annoyed for the rest of the day).

Anyway, I thought it was a joke that went down badly in a moment of high anxiety, but my wife has twice in the past week told me that I ruined a moment that she hoped would be one of the best in her life. I've apologised both times, but she has this look I've not seen before, something beyond disappointment. It's really put a downer on the past nine days of what I thought would be our happiest time together, after what was obviously a very stressful time (for her mostly, of course).

AITA?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
AITA for how I 'checked' my pregnant neighbor for how she was acting with my husband?

quote:

My family (me, husband, 2 daughters) live directly across from our neighbor, "Ade" who is from what I remember, 6 months pregnant. Our neighborhood grew close when her husband died 2 months ago due to a drunk driver. The entire neighborhood basically came to help and even now the community still does semi-monthly-ish BBQs and stuff.

We know how it felt to have a parent absent (now, no, my husband did not die but he was still deployed when we were pregnant with our first. I know that this is NOT the same thing she is going through) so we often checked on her, invited her over, conversations on how to handle being on your own while pregnant. For a couple of weeks now, she's been asking my husband to be her handyman. My husband has no issue with this and neither did I until a week or so ago. She asks my husband for help over the simplest things and barely talks to me anymore. Most times she'll knock, ask if my husband is home and if I say no, she tells me to let him know she needs him and walks off. No talking, having chai together, nothing.

I can admit I am a little bit jealous and felt weird about this. It was like she was only wanting my husband around. I tried to push these feeling aside until the first incident. Basically she knocked on my door and handed a covered plate of cookies. I got excited and started to thank her, how the girls love cookies, but she she interrupted me and told me that these were STRICTLY for my husband. Not for us. I had a sour taste in my mouth and thanked her. It made me feel like she was trying to have a Big House and Little House situation. I let my husband know what happened and how I felt. He assured me nothing was going on (no doubt) but he also agreed that what she did was disrespectful. We agreed he would stop going over. He would give her the numbers of men he knows who do maintenance.

She has been cold with us. The second incident happened when the community was having a BBQ in our neighborhood park. The children were running around and us adults were sitting with the lawn chairs talking about whatever. Ade piped up and said how she is grateful to us all for helping her, even me after "it was strange how you basically forbid your husband to come over to help anymore". I got a little mad, like I was slapped by God himself, and just said "well, baking a gift for my husband only and saying his wife and daughters aren't included is strange too". Another neighbor changed the topic, it was awkward.

I'm sure theres gossip and whatnot. On one hand I know she must still be grieving and maybe she's just looking to have someone to be there for her. On the other hand, I feel like the incident with the cookies and then the BBQ makes me feel disrespected. My husband is not happy with how I responded. He says it is not my job to 'check' someone and I shouldve just let her talk.

I guess I just want to know if I was a jealous rear end in a top hat through all of this. I dont really have anyone I could talk to about this personally.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Neito posted:

Oh, for sure. I'm 38 and never got my license; I've tried a few times (and am in the middle of an attempt now, if "getting your permit" counts as an attempt), but between dyspraxia and the attendant poor proprioception, I have a ton of anxiety about it.

But I'm also a WFH computer toucher in an area good enough to have at least *some* public transit, and I've had to turn down jobs because getting to them would be impossible or a nightmare. I'm at least sympathetic to the idea of "No, America's actually a literal nightmare if you can't drive".

Never in my life heard about dyspraxia so I googled it and my whole world just came tumbling down around me, what the gently caress. How have I never heard of this? I was even sent to a special class for idiot children who struggled with walking and crawling before I could start school! Which did wonders for my self esteem I might add :psyduck:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Biplane posted:

Never in my life heard about dyspraxia so I googled it and my whole world just came tumbling down around me, what the gently caress. How have I never heard of this? I was even sent to a special class for idiot children who struggled with walking and crawling before I could start school! Which did wonders for my self esteem I might add :psyduck:

It's one of those things that nobody knows about, but once one dyspraxic person mentions it a whole bunch of people feel like their whole lives suddenly make sense.

Like when people who know they have astigmatisms mention that you're not supposed to see the streaks on taillights at night.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The state of public transportation and the fact that our society is built around the expectation of self-transportation are both irrelevant to the fact that the lady can't drive for poo poo.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Biplane posted:

Haha yeah I just looked it up and that sounds exactly like my son, suppose I should bring it up with his pediatrician.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for how I 'checked' my pregnant neighbor for how she was acting with my husband?
OP in the comments:

quote:

I do not know the maintenance her home needs. I know some houses are minor 'fixers' so maybe that. My husband often just mentions plumbing or ventilation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mystes posted:

OP in the comments:

Due to being so praeganant that neighbor just keeps getting stuck in the dryer

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I dunno if I'm just being dumb, but I have no idea what to make of that story. Like, she's loving the husband, right? Is that the takeaway?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neito posted:

I dunno if I'm just being dumb, but I have no idea what to make of that story. Like, she's loving the husband, right? Is that the takeaway?
I think either 1) she's loving the husband or 2) she just wants to gently caress the husband and he's actually fixing stuff but she's deliberately creating problems as an excuse for calling him over

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITA for abandoning my boyfriend in Disney World after he threw a tantrum about a park map?

quote:

Note: My last post/throwaway account went invisible for some reason, so I deleted it and I’m trying again.

So, some quick background: I’m 19F, and my boyfriend is 27M. We've been together for a bit over a year (we met in college, when I was a freshman and he was a master’s student). My boyfriend has this massive, I mean massive, obsession with theme park maps. He collects them like they’re going out of style—every park you can think of, he’s got maps from the '90s, special edition ones, you name it. They’re all neatly organized in binders and displayed in his apartment. It's honestly pretty impressive.

So, here’s the drama: We planned this trip to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. It was his first time visiting any Disney theme park since COVID hit, and he was especially excited to get the latest map for his collection. We get there, and turns out, Disney has moved to a fully digital format. No physical maps, just an app.

My boyfriend lost it. He was so upset, it was like watching someone tell a kid Santa isn’t real. He stormed over to customer service, demanding a physical map. The poor folks there were trying their best, explaining how they’ve transitioned to digital to reduce waste and make navigation easier. He wasn’t having any of it. He argued that "collectors and traditionalists" are being overlooked and that they should have options for people who prefer physical maps.

It went on for what felt like forever. He started ranting about how "technology is taking over everything" and how "not everyone wants to use their phones at a theme park." I tried to calm him down, suggesting maybe we could find a souvenir version or even print one out when we got home, but he just brushed me off and continued his tirade.

After about 30 minutes of this back-and-forth, with him getting nowhere with the staff—who were incredibly patient, by the way—I was done. I was embarrassed, tired, and honestly, just wanted to enjoy the park. So, I told him I was going back to the hotel and left him there at the customer service desk.

He came back much later, obviously still upset, and now he’s mad at me for not "supporting" him in what he calls a "battle for the soul of theme park visiting." I feel bad for ditching him, but also felt like his reaction was way over the top. AITA for leaving him there and going back to the hotel?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

OP in the comments:

"What have you been doing over there?"

"Oh, uh, you know, uh, laying pipes and plugging holes, that sort of thing."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You should have gone into the park and tried to enjoy it and leave him at the desk

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You should have gone into the park and tried to enjoy it and leave him at the desk

They have to report abandoned children, though.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITA for abandoning my boyfriend in Disney World after he threw a tantrum about a park map?

This guy is obviously TA but I do miss getting paper copies of certain things, the main one being concert tickets. I have a collection of old ticket stubs that just stops abruptly in the late 2000s.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I can only imagine how he must act about the pins.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yes my dude, definitely keep raging against that customer service rep earning 18 bucks an hour, the person truly responsible for this travesty.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

This guy is obviously TA but I do miss getting paper copies of certain things, the main one being concert tickets. I have a collection of old ticket stubs that just stops abruptly in the late 2000s.

Yea, I try to get physical tickets when I can for stuff for the same reason, you have to order tickets well ahead of time to have any chance usually. I also don't throw a big baby fit if I can't get them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mystes posted:

I think either 1) she's loving the husband or 2) she just wants to gently caress the husband and he's actually fixing stuff but she's deliberately creating problems as an excuse for calling him over

Husband just keeps misinterpreting “please come over and lay some pipe”

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I totally agree. This dude sucks majorly and is a huge baby child, but also, I have zero desire to go to Disneyland ever since I found out the whole place operates on a weird app where you have to book appointments to ride rides and poo poo. I really hate using my phone and avoid 99% of all activities involving it so I just struck it off my "one day I'll go on holiday here" list. :shrug:

haveblue posted:

Husband just keeps misinterpreting “please come over and lay some pipe”

He's installing soup tubes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shanghaied posted:

Yes my dude, definitely keep raging against that customer service rep earning 18 bucks an hour, the person truly responsible for this travesty.

Minimum wage in Florida is $12.00 an hour. Also, it's Florida.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Theoretically, I'm on this dude's side. I really enjoy having a paper map of the park because it's a nice quick reference rather than having to pull out my phone, unlock the screen, open the app, zoom into my location, blah blah blah. Especially if all I need is a "which direction are we heading?" quick check, the map is so much faster and easier.

But lmao at him calling it "a battle for the soul of the park" as though he's going to change the mind of a $30 billion theme park division by shouting his desire for justice at whatever random teenager/college kid happens to be working the Guest Services booth that day.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there a Hollywood in Florida?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

mystes posted:

If they were loving I doubt the husband would have been onboard with not going over there anymore and telling her to get a handyman.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

BlancoNino posted:

It mentions Disney World, and there's a Hollywood Studios in that park, which is the one in Florida.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

While doing some spring cleaning this year I tossed an overflowing shoebox that was full of concert tickets. You don't need them.

I did keep a couple of them that I also had autographed show posters for and framed those, but everything else went in the paper recycling.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

BlancoNino posted:

Funnily enough, yes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood%2C_Florida

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Neito posted:

It's one of those things that nobody knows about, but once one dyspraxic person mentions it a whole bunch of people feel like their whole lives suddenly make sense.

Like when people who know they have astigmatisms mention that you're not supposed to see the streaks on taillights at night.

Stop, I don't think I can handle a third revelation :negative:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the thought of chili with maple syrup in it is really pissing me off

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
I just assume all Canadian food contain maple syrup. It's like their HFCS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think Disney does a bit better than minimum wage for customer service reps

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Biplane posted:

Stop, I don't think I can handle a third revelation :negative:

Next you're gonna tell me you don't have a poopknife.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Cake-eating, but not the r\cakeeater kind:

AITA for refusing to apologize to my friend after she ate my birthday cake?

quote:

I (f29) celebrated my birthday last weekend. I bought a beautiful, expensive cake from my favorite bakery to share with my close friends and family. It was a small gathering at my house.

One of my friends, "Carly" (f28), arrived late to the party and seemed upset when she saw that some people had already had their cake. I didn’t think anything of it because it was a casual get-together and she was welcome to enjoy some of the cake too.

Later in the evening, I walked into the kitchen to find Carly alone, eating the rest of the cake straight from the box with a fork. I was shocked because there was still more than half of it left and I hadn't even had a slice myself yet.

I asked her what she was doing, and she said she was hungry and thought no one would mind if she finished the cake since everyone had already had some. I told her it was my birthday cake and that I hadn't even had a slice yet. She got defensive and said I was being overdramatic and that it's just cake.

Now she's upset with me and expects an apology for embarrassing her in front of the other guests, but I think she was in the wrong for eating all the cake without asking. AITA for refusing to apologize to her?
The mental image of Carly just angrily going to town on that boxed-up cake when no one was looking to get back at OP, and then somehow trying to turn that into a reason for OP to apologize to her, is sending me.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Neito posted:

It mentions Disney World, and there's a Hollywood Studios in that park, which is the one in Florida.

How about that. I can't stand theme parks and never bothered to learn which Disney is which.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BlancoNino posted:

How about that. I can't stand theme parks and never bothered to learn which Disney is which.

I accept your apology.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Neito posted:

Next you're gonna tell me you don't have a poopknife.

Woah, woah. I may have Bad Brain, but I'm not that hosed up.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Disney adult who started dating an 18 yo when he was 26, fuckin superbarf

mystes
May 31, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

Theoretically she could have been 17 depending on the timing I guess but maybe most like 18 since she was in college

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

idiotsavant posted:

Hey now, he's just trying to recapture some of that childhood magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also it seems like OP posted the story once and deleted it after getting mad that people were telling her that her boyfriend was a groomer and then reposted it, and apparently in one of the deleted comments he said her boyfriend told her she was very mature for her age or something :barf:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AITAH/comm...hare&utm_term=1

quote:

Check OP's comments. It's absolutely just age gap rage bait.

quote:

18, dude. And I’m actually not like other girls my age, very mature for my age, as he’s told me many times.

They called him a “groomer.” A man who grooms children is a pedophile. How are you this thick-skulled?

Fixating on some arbitrary math equation to measure whether a relationship is healthy or not—that’s an autistic way of thinking.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 18, 2024