Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

According to anyone I talk to about dreams I've always been weird about mine because I'm NEVER in them. It's always either abstract weirdness or somehow dreaming up the entire plot of a non-existent TV series or videogame in one night. I've never had either dreams or nightmares that involve myself, even my nightmares are more like, horror movies than anything. At most it's in the context of "I'm playing a game" or the like.

The worst is when I dream I'm playing a really cool game then I wake up and realize that game doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I thought I would have strange dreams when I was shotgunning Bloodborne into my brain a few weeks ago, but nope. Nada. Kind of a let down.

Taking DMAE always gave me vivid dreams for a while, I should get back on that for a bit. It sounds like a rave drug but it's just a memory supplement.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I had a dream once where in the late 80's Nintendo made a Metroid movie but hired it out to some super cheap production studio. The sets were all ramshackle and the Space Pirates were all just a variety of out of shape guys dressed like this old Dr. Who villain:

Samus was just a lady running around in regular clothes and any brief instance where she was wearing the power armor it was portrayed by super janky stop motion animation.

It was cool and I wish it was a real movie.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dreams are cool cause they're the only place I'm able to visualise things, cause otherwise I have near total aphantasia when I'm awake :toot:

"Picture it in your minds eye" haha what a funny phrase! You can't picture anything in your head!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Same. I can catch myself when I'm just about to fall asleep because I can suddenly start to visualise flashes of stuff. It's helpful to avoid snoring in really tedious meetings and presentations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Infinitum posted:

Dreams are cool cause they're the only place I'm able to visualise things, cause otherwise I have near total aphantasia when I'm awake :toot:

"Picture it in your minds eye" haha what a funny phrase! You can't picture anything in your head!
this reminds me of the discussion PatStaresAt had where he revealed that he literally can't recall voices in his head of other people in anything but his own voice. So all of his memories are all his own voice speaking other people's words. every single one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Invictus posted:

this reminds me of the discussion PatStaresAt had where he revealed that he literally can't recall voices in his head of other people in anything but his own voice. So all of his memories are all his own voice speaking other people's words. every single one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Fuxkinhug

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
do you dream in first person or third person cause I feel like when I actually remember a dream its a weird combo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Both though it's typically in first person and I'll usually forget them after half a day, but they're quite vivid while experiencing them and I don't dream all the time.

Captain Invictus posted:

How does he recall something like songs?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
exactly how I said.

this discussion of course led to the catastrophic inevitability of him being asked the question about memories of having sex

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
When I was meditating regularly I would have lucid dreams all the time and it was awesome. Just realizing "Hey, I'm dreaming. Let's change what's happening right now." Good times. Shame about my brain these days.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just play video games instead

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The pro move is to stay up so late playing video games that you immediately pass out into a dreamless sleep upon contact with your bed.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
If you want to stop having dreams, just smoke weed every day.
Er, apparently that only works for some people, but it works for me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Dreams aren't great for me, because I can full-fledged 100% completely hallucinate at will pretty easily, and those are usually better than my dreams anyway - interesting landscapes and events, cool patterns and critters, as opposed to my dreams which are usually super boring and mundane and often stressful.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Both though it's typically in first person and I'll usually forget them after half a day, but they're quite vivid while experiencing them and I don't dream all the time.

Here's the full discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXQwCcob5hU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Infinitum posted:

he imagines them in his voice

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

do you dream in first person or third person cause I feel like when I actually remember a dream its a weird combo

mine is a weird combo. Sometimes it's in first person and then it's like I'm watching a movie with different angels.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In persona 4 or 5, there's one class where the prof says like "people didn't dream in colour until colour tv was introduced". If that's true (it is) then imagine what 3d tv will bring.....!!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I started playing Sleeping Dogs again. Just a fun game to play. Love the setting, love the combat. And holy poo poo gently caress Dogeyes. He's right up there with Ted Farro in terms of just being a real scumbag on the screen

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

In persona 4 or 5, there's one class where the prof says like "people didn't dream in colour until colour tv was introduced". If that's true (it is) then imagine what 3d tv will bring.....!!

that doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't people dream in color when the world is in color? Like I could see if black and white tv made more people dream in black and white but what about before television? Did people during the radio period of entertainment only dream in audio?

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Back in the late 90s, I had a dream that was entirely scrolling text on an IRC client screen. Later I read that "people can't read in dreams" and was like "well, wtf was that, then?"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

skeletronics posted:

Back in the late 90s, I had a dream that was entirely scrolling text on an IRC client screen. Later I read that "people can't read in dreams" and was like "well, wtf was that, then?"

i remember that batman episode

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I legitimately don't understand that some people lack a mind's eye, like if I say the words "juicy booty" how could you not immediately visualize a nice round rear end??? Then again many people claim to have synaesthesia and I have no real strong opinions on the "color" of certain words.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I legitimately don't understand that some people lack a mind's eye, like if I say the words "juicy booty" how could you not immediately visualize a nice round rear end??? Then again many people claim to have synaesthesia and I have no real strong opinions on the "color" of certain words.

that's wild. I aint got none of that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I kinda get it. "sky" just feels like a blue word, you know?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"juicy booty" is a rich dark violet, like a couple of ripened plums

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

What if I visualize a wet, dripping pirate treasure chest

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shard posted:

that doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't people dream in color when the world is in color? Like I could see if black and white tv made more people dream in black and white but what about before television? Did people during the radio period of entertainment only dream in audio?

It's not true. I'm sure those media affected what kinds of dreams folks have but they also dreamt stuff before those technologies existed. Best theory for dreams I've heard is its a way for your brain to model and simulate situations where you can do things without the ingerent risks of doing them in real life. Except it's a dream so you're hallucinating stuff wrong or impossible things or otherwise fantastic and wonky self generated perceived simulations of reality.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

What if I visualize a wet, dripping pirate treasure chest

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, what thread is this?

*checks title*

Huh.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

palworld guy owns

quote:

Monster (or girl) breeding games

:chloe:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Yes, they left out monster girl breeding games

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NSuperGamerGuy/status/1780921154024132947?t=sjw_41oHbFGKQl90f-DlBQ

A flip phone tie-in game to the original Persona 3 that was previously lost media is being re-released

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

xoFcitcrA posted:

Wait, what thread is this?

*checks title*

Huh.

Welcome to Video Games.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Infinitum posted:

I was genuinely under the impression that everyone, like me, recalled songs in the same neutral voiceless voice used for conversations with people where you can remember what they said but not what they sound like.

skeletronics posted:

The common belief is that you can't read the same thing twice in dreams, not that you can't read at all.

Bad Video Games posted:

Welcome to Video Games.

What's the best video game where its set in a dream, and/or what's the best video game you ever dreamed of playing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

Watching too much tv caused people to dream in the context of tv, which was at one time black and white. Likewise nowadays if you play too many videogames all your dreams might be contextualized as games too.
Something about dreams is "unreal" enough for the mind to reject comparing them to actual reality and instead jump to other "unreal" experiences we're familiar with.

When games and color tv add smell-o-vision, that same group who started dreaming in color again will start dreaming in scent too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m very sure that “people can’t read in dreams” was invented by one episode of Batman TAS and everyone just went with it

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

GlyphGryph posted:

I was genuinely under the impression that everyone, like me, recalled songs in the same neutral voiceless voice used for conversations with people where you can remember what they said but not what they sound like.

The common belief is that you can't read the same thing twice in dreams, not that you can't read at all.

What's the best video game where its set in a dream, and/or what's the best video game you ever dreamed of playing.

The only game I remember playing with dream sequences was Max Payne. I used to love that game, but I never could get past the last level without cheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

What's the best video game where its set in a dream,

Psychonauts 2