Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

trevorreznik posted:

Stray starts with falling into the depths and losing all your cat friends then getting chased by hordes of killer robots

Should elaborate that "losing all your cat friends" is not a euphemism, you just get separated from them because they don't fall, they're fine, they don't get murdered by said killer robots. There is no explicit cat murder in Stray unless you're bad at running from killer robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Mega64 posted:

But that part owns. It encourages you to learn the world such that you can figure out where you are without needing an icon showing your exact location. It's a nice incentive to enhance navigation, and if you want it the option to use the charm is right there.

It's a reward for learning to navigate, not a punishment. It's like games that have you equip an "Easy Mode" accessory, except you can still use other charms, plus you can just switch it out for boss fights.

The compass charm pissed me off bad in my 2 failed runs and now I love it. Every exit from a stagway station feels like a little expedition. And it's still easier to parse the map without that charm than SotN even with its flashing location highlite since there are so many tiny unmarked rooms with important stuff in them.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The only emotion a video game can make me feel is second hand embarrassment for the writers

You should try playing games other than Metroid: Other M :)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nah gently caress that. It's 2024, I can literally see exactly where I am in the world at all times, same is true in almost every video game. I don't want a punishment for not memorizing the entire environment. And that's what it is, a punishment for not playing the game the same way the devs want you to. Knowing where you are in a video game is basic functionality, not a reward. The first Metroid is basically unplayable for not having it as a feature.

children beat Metroid, OP

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

have you tried Words with Friends

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
While Hollow Knight is very impressive artistically and in its level and general atmosphere design, mechanically it's been bested by Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. Literally every complaint I've had about Hollow Knight is intentionally addressed by the latter title. It's a great example of a development team looking at a cherished title, figuring out what's still not quite right about it, and successfully implementing solutions that enable the game to be appreciated by a wider audience.

beer gas canister posted:

The compass charm pissed me off bad in my 2 failed runs and now I love it. Every exit from a stagway station feels like a little expedition.
Personally I think they should've just made it a game option and not take up a charm slot. Either way, when I'm playing Hollow Knight I'm not confused about where I am currently, it's trying to remember where that thing was, of which I took a screenshot 20 hours ago.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

symbolic posted:

children beat Metroid, OP
Only Justin Bailey.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ExcessBLarg! posted:

While Hollow Knight is very impressive artistically and in its level and general atmosphere design, mechanically it's been bested by Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. Literally every complaint I've had about Hollow Knight is intentionally addressed by the latter title. It's a great example of a development team looking at a cherished title, figuring out what's still not quite right about it, and successfully implementing solutions that enable the game to be appreciated by a wider audience.

Personally I think they should've just made it a game option and not take up a charm slot. Either way, when I'm playing Hollow Knight I'm not confused about where I am currently, it's trying to remember where that thing was, of which I took a screenshot 20 hours ago.

My complaint for PoP:TLC is there is too many options it is all too fungible. Impossible to tell if you are playing at the right difficulty level or if you've cranked it to too easy or too hard.

Also so so much dialogue and lore I don't believe a single person on earth cares about.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

My complaint for PoP:TLC is there is too many options it is all too fungible. Impossible to tell if you are playing at the right difficulty level or if you've cranked it to too easy or too hard.

Also so so much dialogue and lore I don't believe a single person on earth cares about.

if you hate fungible there's these non-fungible things available that I strongly recommend you invest in

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My complaint with the lost crown is that the main character looks kinda dumb. Like he fell out of Warrior Within era of the series

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Time seems to work differently in this place...

Oh really? Thanks supporting character guy I hadn't noticed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

My complaint with the lost crown is that the main character looks kinda dumb. Like he fell out of Warrior Within era of the series

too many options isn't a valid complaint, that's on you

you can skip all the dialogue if you want

you can change how the character looks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

skill issues as per

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can change how the character looks?

I never saw that. I saw you could change his armor at least to a bonus preorder set or something.

I think he looks fine though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yep my guy looks like the classic PoP

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

So ignore them. Play on Normal, and if you find that's too easy then switch to Hard.

There isn't really a "right" difficulty level here. The game is intended to be fun and at times challenging, but not to punish you.

As for the fungibility: one of the things I wouldn't do is leave a damage+ or defense+ amulet permanently equipped. Either don't use them at all, or if you feel you want to use them, then just modify the difficulty settings to achieve the same effect. This leaves amulet slots available to play with ability-based amulets, like additional combos, dodge attacks. parry slowdown, laser teleport, etc. Those are genuinely novel, optional abilities of the game that are otherwise missed.

Yeah, not the game's strong suit. I prefer silent Metroidvanias.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I generally do not like gear loadout systems in games where you have a certain number of slots and have to pick and choose your build. I just want linear progression like Metroid or Castlevania. In Castlevania you do have gear you can swap out with some different effects but it doesn't substantially change the gameplay and it's not about finding an optimal combination.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you can change how the character looks

Doing this hard locked me out of a boss battle until I changed back into the default pants lol

But yeah, game is real good. I miss it. I should play more HK.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

External Organs posted:

Doing this hard locked me out of a boss battle until I changed back into the default pants lol

the lore of the pants

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wow that's rough. I saw the same video as everyone else but the new cat game does not seem anywhere near that brutal.

Oh, it's worse. You're in a post-post-apocalyptic ruin (lots of grown-over vegetation) with your cat friends, a pipe breaks beneath you and you fall like thirty feel off a slope, and for a good five minutes you're limping, alone, through dark tunnels.

I just watched the intro cutscene to Little Kitty, and yeah it's way more upbeat and cartoony, and the cat is far more amused about being out and about.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Morpheus posted:

Oh, it's worse. You're in a post-post-apocalyptic ruin (lots of grown-over vegetation) with your cat friends, a pipe breaks beneath you and you fall like thirty feel off a slope, and for a good five minutes you're limping, alone, through dark tunnels.

I just watched the intro cutscene to Little Kitty, and yeah it's way more upbeat and cartoony, and the cat is far more amused about being out and about.

I know some people are going to point and laugh and make fun of people for getting upset by realistic animals in peril but it can be really emotionally hard for some folks especially if their animals mean the world to them. So let’s try to be nice to each other. I haven’t personally been that upset over an animal game thing but there was an Xbox game that really disgusted me / pissed me off to the point I quit out and deleted it. Spoiled because some of us have been through some poo poo. :nms: I can’t and don’t care to remember the name of the game but it was some thing where the character is insane / possessed and shoots his wife and baby in the face and kills them in the beginning of the game. I made it like 10 minutes into the game and I was like “gently caress this, there was no point in going that far for this *gesturing at the lackluster edgy game* nonsense.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Stray is the kind of game that might attract people who don’t normally play games and so they might not be accustomed to seeing a lot of violence (puts out cigar and adjusts eyepatch) like me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

otter posted:

I know some people are going to point and laugh and make fun of people for getting upset by realistic animals in peril but it can be really emotionally hard for some folks especially if their animals mean the world to them. So let’s try to be nice to each other. I haven’t personally been that upset over an animal game thing but there was an Xbox game that really disgusted me / pissed me off to the point I quit out and deleted it. Spoiled because some of us have been through some poo poo. :nms: I can’t and don’t care to remember the name of the game but it was some thing where the character is insane / possessed and shoots his wife and baby in the face and kills them in the beginning of the game. I made it like 10 minutes into the game and I was like “gently caress this, there was no point in going that far for this *gesturing at the lackluster edgy game* nonsense.

Sounds like The Suffering which is funny because it depends on wether you're good or evil in the game wether the MC actually did that at all lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the suffering loving rules lol. maybe its not for lil beeatches?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

otter posted:

You called it. But I agree. There's no need to force yourself to stomach something you wouldn't want to otherwise.

The one animal game I always wanted to play and never got a chance to was Tokyo Jungle. I wonder if that concept is ever going to get picked up again.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
PoP was definitely good but the sound design and music doesn't hold a candle to Hollow Knight which has one of the best game soundtracks there is. So many absolute bangers - City of Tears is so glorious.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

HK ambience is 11/10 absolutely nailed it. What a game. Zero complaints.

Finally got the True Ending in Rogue Legacy 2, now I can lay it to rest. Good game, great lore, sounds like I would have gotten more out of it if I'd played the first one!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I’ll play hollow knight eventually.

Anyway I got SIGNALIS all caps on sale and it’s cool. Play it at night and play it stoned

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds like The Suffering which is funny because it depends on wether you're good or evil in the game wether the MC actually did that at all lol

No, that's not it. I'll look for it later. I really have to do work stuff right now. It was something on gamepass a few years ago. So it was somewhere between 2020 and 2022.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I never liked going through Max Payne's tragic dream levels. They're essential for that character but I always muted the TV after my first go

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
:siren: Walmarts are having a YMMV in-store clearance sale. I just got the Catan switch game and Nier Automata for $10 each.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

:siren: Walmarts are having a YMMV in-store clearance sale. I just got the Catan switch game and Nier Automata for $10 each.

I’m down with going into going into a Walmart with a BONER NOW. Is there a way to check?

Else I’m not going.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

They also have Fire Emblem: Engage for $20 USD.

Also because I mistyped the first search they have a fire pit 50% off for $31 USD.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Does Stray really have killer robots or are they just vacuum cleaners that you think are killer robots because you’re a cat?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kevyn posted:

Does Stray really have killer robots or are they just vacuum cleaners that you think are killer robots because you’re a cat?

The robots are nice, there's killer matter eating parasite type things

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

eightysixed posted:

I’m down with going into going into a Walmart with a BONER NOW. Is there a way to check?

Else I’m not going.

I think there's a website for that

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think there's a website for that
Brickseek.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the suffering loving rules lol. maybe its not for lil beeatches?

Nope. it was called Visage.
It was clunky and tried too hard to be edgy, but just poor taste and poor control.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Nah gently caress that. It's 2024, I can literally see exactly where I am in the world at all times, same is true in almost every video game. I don't want a punishment for not memorizing the entire environment. And that's what it is, a punishment for not playing the game the same way the devs want you to. Knowing where you are in a video game is basic functionality, not a reward. The first Metroid is basically unplayable for not having it as a feature.

graph paper maps ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

play metroid zero mission until you have enough map knowledge transfer to finish metroid nes. besides finding the other ice beam in brinstar. love that thing