Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

ChaosReaper posted:

I just want the game to give me a recluse with the loving perks I want. I've had that gun selected since last week and can't buy a repulsor/ destabilizing to save my life. I haven't even seen the funnel web roll which I also wouldn't mind. I get some people love the grind for God rolls but I hate it after a while. I'm not looking for 5/5 just give me the 3rd and 4th columns being right and ill live with everything else.

same op :(

also semi interested in repulsor surronded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

It sucks to spend ~35 waves discovering that your randomly chosen team can handle waves 1-30 but not waves 31-50. It makes the activity you just got kicked out of feel like a waste of time

Normal mode is supposed to be the mode almost everyone can muddle through and suddenly raising the stakes 20 minutes in is a weird choice that works against that. Legend is supposed to be the mode where you have invest effort in skill and build and team cohesion because you might crash out

It's objectively not a waste of time because you got rewards for those 35 waves.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Non-legend is completely soloable too, so it's kind of a fun challenge when your pubbies don't have that dawg in 'em

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got like twelve guns and two shiny weapons on my normal playthrough lol the loot's fine, just play the game

Lord Packinham posted:

Why is that bad? Isn’t that the whole point of playing now?

The point is to have fun lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Non-legend is completely soloable too, so it's kind of a fun challenge when your pubbies don't have that dawg in 'em

i feel bad in the after action report when I have 1000 kills and they have 200 total put together. Sunshot solar hunter is really fun in that mode. Also fun thing with the mountaintop and spike grenades: if you're radiant and therefore the GL has anti-barrier, the grenades will bounce off a champion's shield instead of breaking it :)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Spanish Manlove posted:

i feel bad in the after action report when I have 1000 kills and they have 200 total put together. Sunshot solar hunter is really fun in that mode. Also fun thing with the mountaintop and spike grenades: if you're radiant and therefore the GL has anti-barrier, the grenades will bounce off a champion's shield instead of breaking it :)

Well that's weird! What the hell! Does splash damage disrupt the barrier shield? There must be something fucky with Projectiles. I remember QSS and Witherhoard having issues with boi-oi-oinging off of barrier champs, but shooting their feet would break the shield

Game funky

Also at some point maybe they can Be Cool and let weapons have two anti champ properties. I don't like futzing with the artifact (in general) to remove Overload Auto so that it can benefit from Radiant, or wondering why my Wavesplitter can't break shields on account of it has a conditional Suppress effect

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well that's weird! What the hell! Does splash damage disrupt the barrier shield? There must be something fucky with Projectiles. I remember QSS and Witherhoard having issues with boi-oi-oinging off of barrier champs, but shooting their feet would break the shield

Game funky

Also at some point maybe they can Be Cool and let weapons have two anti champ properties. I don't like futzing with the artifact (in general) to remove Overload Auto so that it can benefit from Radiant, or wondering why my Wavesplitter can't break shields on account of it has a conditional Suppress effect

Splash works i pop barriers with militas birthright adept off radient sunshot. shoot their feet or air detonate it on them

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I took the time to learn how to well skate yesterday and now it's negatively affecting every activity I do because me funny warlock go woosh

Sorry did you want that well for the onslaught boss? I need it to slam myself into the wall at Mach 1, good luck.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"year 10", "Echoes", and "raid comes out 72 hours after the new campaign"

These guys are gearing up to drop some Newz on us.

Definitely some Big Changes coming to the franchise and the power climb

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah it feels like they gotta get the raid out ASAP because they can't do anything with Echoes until after the raid and the post-raid mission are out.

That's kinda gotta lost in the shuffle of all of this, Echoes is gonna be playable right after Final Shape comes out, but we dunno jack about it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Really dislike the raid timing tbh

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That means they don't expect a 200-point power climb or fully unlocking prism to be at all relevant to the raid even on contest mode

Also one of the Eternal debates every year is whether the campaign should resolve the plot or the raid. Kings fall was awesome because we got to put the kibosh on his plans in the campaign and then fully kill him in the raid, but a ton of people actually disliked that. Then you have something like Wrath of the machine which was the opposite, where we've already defeated the enemy and the raid is just clean up.

I put my money on the raid being the Capstone to the plot line, but also I'm expecting them to have a very high level of accessibility for the raid. That's a solution to both problems

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A “here for the story” raid difficulty that doesn’t drop as good or any of the raid loot but lets everyone see and enjoy the content would rule. A few other games already do this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The traditional counter argument to that is that a significantly easier raid would effectively be a whole new activity (since it can’t rely on communication or people not being morons/dicks) and that’s not a good use of Bungie’s seemingly very limited resources

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RBA Starblade posted:

The point is to have fun lmao

The problem is that Destiny went the World of Warcraft route and put in a bunch of systems that make the game feel like an obligation. When you do poo poo like that, there will inevitably be people who get ensnared by those systems and come to view the game as more than a game. It's not about having fun anymore to a lot of people - it's about completing tasks and chasing achievements and fulfilling goals. Of course, you can have fun in the meantime, but the fun is not the point itself anymore.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They reuse raid environments for story missions all the time. This is the final raid of the destiny experience, so it didn't catch them off guard, they could have been putting resources into this for literally years. It's no coincidence that fireteam finder is a massive priority for final shape, either. Nor the shout out to 12 names visible on the roster

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They reuse raid environments for story missions all the time. This is the final raid of the destiny experience, so it didn't catch them off guard, they could have been putting resources into this for literally years. It's no coincidence that fireteam finder is a massive priority for final shape, either. Nor the shout out to 12 names visible on the roster

Take us back to the promise land

They should totally have a 6 man easy rear end raid version that lets you afk through it by standing on plates or killing guys. Throw a gun at the end, make it 30 mins but that has nothing to do with the Day One timing.

No time to farm any new guns, prismatic stuff or get +200 LL but hopefully it doesn't matter.

I'm assuming you also won't need to clear the campaign to do the raid because there's no fuckin way they expect anyone except the hardest of hardcore nerds to bang through legendary in the middle of the week

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A “here for the story” raid difficulty that doesn’t drop as good or any of the raid loot but lets everyone see and enjoy the content would rule. A few other games already do this.

I feel like the prime example (FF14) already benefits from raids that are pretty low communication - fights are somewhat rigidly choregraphed, so it's just kind of a matter of doing the dance right. There is some player to player interaction, but it's usually as simple as "everyone stack up on the guy with the big arrow." From what i've seen even the harder modes still can be done with little communication, but there will be a bit more of a need to understand a particular strategy and do stuff like "go to an assigned marker" or "know when to tank swap."

WoW similarly just makes failing mechanics much less punishing and usually creates scenarios where a few people who know what they are doing can take care of things.

I feel like if Destiny 2 had a ping system, we might be able to approach an "easy mode" for raids, but without some intermediary tool, it feels like raid easy mode would just have to strip out all mechanics or simplify every fight into standing on plates and dunking stuff with no mechanic lockouts or hard wipe mechanics?

On the other hand, I suppose RoN has mechanics that are all fairly simple/easy to tutorialize that if they just made the fail much less harsh, they could maybe have an easy mode version.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love that it took a week for "onslaught is terrible actually" and the reason is basically "I don't want to play the game" jfc lmao

Now personally I think yeah, they could give out more loot. First set of waves give one chest, second two, third three, etc. Guaranteed shiny is dumb and makes the whole idea kind of moot.

Kith posted:

The problem is that Destiny went the World of Warcraft route and put in a bunch of systems that make the game feel like an obligation.

I'm curious what those are, because to me I log in and I pick a mode I want to play, then play it. I shoot guys, and do objectives in missions, then I get loot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Actually I'm gonna revise my Prediction. I don't think they're going to compromise on what makes a raid a raid. No Story Mode. Fireteam Finder makes it more accessible, but you WILL stand on the plates and throw the balls.

Bungie can safely bet that Raiders will do the Raid no matter what, so they have to grease the squeaky wheel and make sure the Story is resolved outside of the Raid, so solo players are content

We'll probably do 1-2 mechanics encounters, defeat 1-2 nameless mooks, and then weaken-but-not-kill the Witness. Lore Tabs will explain why the events of the raid were actually a big deal even though nothing happened in-game

Then we'll kill the Witness in some 12 person activity with matchmaking that comes out the week after the raid :toot:

Lore reason for why he comes back to life each week and we have to kill him again. "Echoes" indeed

EDIT - hell, you know what? Lightfall experimented with having 'Mission 7' be a Strike (hypernet current), and then leading in to Mission 8 for the end of the campaign. I bet the TFS Raid is effectively the 2nd to last 'mission' of the campaign, so people who skip the raid still get to experience the beginning & end of the story. That also explains why they have to rush the raid out the door, so people can get their mitts on the end of the campaign ASAP

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 18, 2024

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

I love that it took a week for "onslaught is terrible actually" and the reason is basically "I don't want to play the game for such little rewards" jfc lmao

Fixed that for you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Back in my day I played Firefight for nothing and we liked it

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The loot is what I play the game with. I wan't lots of options, because they are fun and make the game fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to keep shooting Crimson and Thunderlord and no one can stop me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm going to keep shooting Crimson and Thunderlord and no one can stop me.

gonna find a bug with these guns and get them disabled :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gonna find a bug with these guns and get them disabled :getin:

Don't you do it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Seasonal Artifact is part of Echoes, which comes out after TFS. No need to grind XP for Artifact Abilities = 72 hour raid release

No artifact abilities = no champions in the TFS Raid

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Seasonal Artifact is part of Echoes, which comes out after TFS. No need to grind XP for Artifact Abilities = 72 hour raid release

No artifact abilities = no champions in the TFS Raid

Did they say anywhere there's no artifact? Also if your Day One raiding you can deal with champions with no artifact and I think its reasonable they'd expect you to given the amount of tools in the tool box.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Waroduce posted:

Did they say anywhere there's no artifact? Also if your Day One raiding you can deal with champions with no artifact and I think its reasonable they'd expect you to given the amount of tools in the tool box.

The Artifact is a part of Echoes, which comes out in "June, shortly after the launch of The Final Shape", per the bungo page.

Beyond Light came out a week before Season of the Hunt began, but we got the Artifact a week early, so who knows.

I don't think Bungie would ever expect us to face champions without an Artifact available, no matter how many other tools in the bag we have. But I also don't expect them to give us an Artifact with only 72 hours to pump it full of XP before Day 1 raid time. That kind of unhealthy grind is something they are very outspoken against.

my occam's razor here is that the artifact will not be live for the day 1 raid

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MJeff posted:

The whole point of the shiny versions is that they're cool and rare and unique. They stop being that if you make them guaranteed, they just becomes another piece of loot that isn't special.

Is it really so awful to you to suggest lowering the odds on the one in 10000 chance of getting the shiny gun with all the perks you want

My only real problem with Onslaught is that Bungie made it sound in the preview streams like “yes you will be limited to random rolls but we’re gonna give you SO MUCH loot, you’ll be DROWNING in loot, you’ll have A BAJILLION rolls to get what you want” and completing a fifty-wave, hour-long Onslaught gets you like five guns.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 18, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah if you just want one shiny so you can say you have it, you get a guaranteed shiny already from the grind quests. If you want a shiny with a good roll you can actually use, that’ll still take you a good long while even with a guaranteed drop every hour

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
they could have just made em craftable and make it so knockout red borders come from a full wave 50 clear, then at least there'd be a strong incentive to go all the way, a limit to how much you'd have to grind, and the limit would still be a totally mad number of hours so engagement numbers would still be high

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

they could have just made em craftable and make it so knockout red borders come from a full wave 50 clear, then at least there'd be a strong incentive to go all the way, a limit to how much you'd have to grind, and the limit would still be a totally mad number of hours so engagement numbers would still be high

How about a 1/50 chance you get a red border by completing legendary under 45 minutes?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm curious what those are, because to me I log in and I pick a mode I want to play, then play it. I shoot guys, and do objectives in missions, then I get loot.

Releasing seasonal activities and storylines on a schedule, keeping seasonal/weekly/daily bounties on a rotator, rotating which portions of Pinnacle Activities are on a schedule, so on and so forth. Instead of the entire game simply being available, everything is on a timer and has to be worked in on or around what time you have. Contrast this to a more traditional game structure where progression through the game's systems is dictated by how much time you put into it, not by how much of them the developer provides to you at any one time.

Of course, these systems don't ensnare everyone - there are breakouts like you and me that sign on whenever and do whatever we feel like because we care first and foremost about having fun, not performing task checklists. However, it's also worth noting that we're the exception to the rule, and many people are very vulnerable to this kind of manipulation.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Week 2 report: Onslaught still owns, harder than ever in fact. People figuring out what works means it's getting more efficient, and Bungie increasing the rewards on an already generous activity is pretty awesome imo.

Still wish there were gonna be more maps/enemy factions for variety.

Pirate Jet posted:

Is it really so awful to you to suggest lowering the odds on the one in 10000 chance of getting the shiny gun with all the perks you want

My only real problem with Onslaught is that Bungie made it sound in the preview streams like “yes you will be limited to random rolls but we’re gonna give you SO MUCH loot, you’ll be DROWNING in loot, you’ll have A BAJILLION rolls to get what you want” and completing a fifty-wave, hour-long Onslaught gets you like five guns.

Yeah, I am 1000% against any guaranteed holo foil drops. They aren't a necessary upgrade over the base form, they're a cool special version. If they drop a guaranteed version on every run, they're no longer special, and they're so farmable you might as well ignore the regular guns because gently caress it you can get the holo foil version. I wouldn't mind a little bit more of a drop rate, but honestly it's not in a bad spot in terms of "These are accessible but still rare enough to be cool to get"

Also, I just ran a 50 round normal onslaught and after spending the trophies I earned from it, I got 10 weapons, 1 of them a holofoil Recluse with a solid roll. They're adding 2 more guaranteed next week. The loot pool is small, solid, and thanks to attunement you can have it really shower you in a particular weapon over a couple runs, so it's really easy to find great rolls.

It's a looter shooter, and honestly the fact that like 50% of new weapons that come out can be perfectly crafted is both cool and a bummer in different ways. So having one activity with a great loot pool that's dropping a lot of them is really doing a lot for returning The Feeling.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 19, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think it was Datto had an interesting idea, make it one guaranteed a week for your first completion, and then go back to super rare after that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, it's funny to me that "it is a looter shooter" can be said in defense of raising OR lowering the loot drop rates

Also I was thinking about how it's almost time to learn a new raid and I felt this feel

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m terrified of what they’re cooking for this final* raid. Root of Nightmares was a big baby cruise and as fun as I had suffering through it for the day 1 weekend I know bungie’s only feedback from it was “we gotta make the players really hurt”

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Uhhhh actually if I'm recalling the Joe Blackburn interview correctly, we only have seven of eight missions available until after the raid is completed.

Completing all 8 legendary campaign missions gives you 20 free power levels, so if that doesn't come until post raid, then contest mode is gonna be set at like...the new power floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m terrified of what they’re cooking for this final* raid. Root of Nightmares was a big baby cruise and as fun as I had suffering through it for the day 1 weekend I know bungie’s only feedback from it was “we gotta make the players really hurt”

I liked that the encounters weren't all arcane bullshit like Acquisition! Imo symbol memorization is always the least fun, give me simple mechanics that you have to do fast. The first two encounters of RoN were great for that. (Or Exhibition, the best raid encounter in the game)

Tbh the real thing that makes Contest stuff tough is the damage checks. There were two types of teams in Day 1 Kings Fall, those with Aeons and those who got stuck on war priest.