Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Gangringo posted:

If you can't handle me at my Gros Michel you don't deserve me at my Cavendish.

Poster that's so good at balatro that even their avatar and posts synergize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Balatro in a nutshell:

Had a REALLY good Gold Needle run going with Bloodstone and Blueprint, then encountered The Head and my normal flushes just didn't cut it.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Bloodstone flush build with dice doesn't get enough love. Focused on red seal face cards with the face-retrigger joker was one of my 2 ever E-notation runs.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
lol I just had a run where I got baseball guy and then found like 3 rare jokers, which I guess don't count as uncommon. Probably should have traded out baseball guy at some point but it was polychrome as well so it was tough to do. I think I found one uncommon joker. Also had one giving some good mult for having steel cards, one that was giving me tarot cards every time I played a hand with less than $5 and another one that added mult any time I added a card to the deck. The card adding joker wasn't levelling as fast as he should have because I kept not finding card packs, the game was just giving me planet/tarot packs. I think I lost when I needed a score of around 10M. So maybe level 9 or 10?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Finally getting some black deck wins under my belt. The early game was straight up survival mode with me relying on greedy Joker and popcorn to get by. Thankfully I was rewarded for my survivalist instincts and was able to get a hologram Joker and a marble joker, plus the tribe. From there it was just a matter of opening up tarot boosters to get some star cards and I was on easy Street. I didn't make it to ante ten but hey a win is a win

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Anybody else experience weird brainworms around a game you easily get past ante 8, but doesn't really scale past ante 9 or 10 feeling like a failure?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

DrHammond posted:

Anybody else experience weird brainworms around a game you easily get past ante 8, but doesn't really scale past ante 9 or 10 feeling like a failure?

No i usually don’t even play past ante 8 unless i luck into something interesting

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

finally got my first e numbers. fun as hell watching all those red seal steel kings trigger multiple times as it speeds up.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Eschatos posted:

The benefits get marginal real fast. Like yeah I never mind seeing a planet card for a hand I'm using but without the planet xmult joker the vast majority of them will always be worthless no matter your deck or strategy.

Honestly I'm bad at this game and don't really try to go infinite unless I get a very obvious banger setup but I had the planet X mult joker and it got me to ante 8 quite easily just buying every planet in the shop but I didn't bother to see how far I could go BC it felt like .1 for each planet just wasn't scaling very fast even with a decent cash flow and cycling the shop for them. I think I need to look at some joker tier lists BC I think I was underestimating X mult cards like campfire that reset at the boss blind

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Papes posted:

No i usually don’t even play past ante 8 unless i luck into something interesting

Yeah, I'm going for gold stickers and usually scrap a run after clearing ante 8 unless it's got something really interesting going on.

E:

Current jokers I have no stickers on period: Mad Joker, Loyalty Card, Egg, Vagabond (the only one of these I like), Reserved Parking, Ancient Joker, The Idol, Matador, and Hit the Road.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

is the patch on the main branch yet

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Honestly I'm bad at this game and don't really try to go infinite unless I get a very obvious banger setup but I had the planet X mult joker and it got me to ante 8 quite easily just buying every planet in the shop but I didn't bother to see how far I could go BC it felt like .1 for each planet just wasn't scaling very fast even with a decent cash flow and cycling the shop for them. I think I need to look at some joker tier lists BC I think I was underestimating X mult cards like campfire that reset at the boss blind

I've gotten multiple runs that pass ante 12 (and died immediately on ante 13 small blind) with constellation, it can get to 10x relatively easily with a good econ so it's a solid joker for unlocking stuntman/getting to around 1 billion point hands. For e point hands p much no amount of a single instance of xmult is that relevant because retriggers end up accounting for so much of your score that even x10 on the end is paltry compared to the rest of what you're doing.

Like this was my first e-point hand:

(a minor E11, barely scraping the scientific notation) and yeah x10 mult would have taken it to E12 but a brainstorm would have taken a multiplier that was (1.5^2)^20 to (1.5^3)^20 which is an improvement of about 333x.

Incidentally doing this math made me realize I was miscounting my 1.5x vs my retriggers, I had 2 blueprints on hack cause I assumed it was 3 triggers with two 1.5 (poly and ancient) but it was actually 4 triggers because of the base trigger so I should have originally had it at (1.5^3)^15 which would have been like a 7.5x improvement and so adding the brainstorm would have "only" been about 44x mult but this sort of example still shows why there's basically no xmult joker in the world (outside of a ridiculously fed campfire) that is worth more than retriggers, and the math only gets worse from there as each iteration of another set of triggers is exponentially scaling.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

smoobles posted:

All I want is to get Blueprint and DNA in the same game

In my last run I had DNA, Brainstorm, and Certificate of Authenticity.

I had 115 cards in my deck when I won.

EDIT
This is with me deleting Face cards whenever possible, because I also had Ride the Bus.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I hate Jokers that can reset like obelisk and ride the bus, not because they aren't good cards- they are, but because I'm stupid and it only takes one second for me to make a stupid mistake and undo +30 mult

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Hell yes. Just hit my first multi billi hand. Baseball, DNA, blueprint, mime, and the joker that gives xmulti for steel cards. I got a red steel and hit 2x dupes with blueprint+DNA, then blueprint and mime on a pair/high card. By the 13th anti small blind, I had a full hand of red/steel off the draw but was still hundreds of billions away.

What a rush, I hope I can sleep tonight.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I hate Jokers that can reset like obelisk and ride the bus, not because they aren't good cards- they are, but because I'm stupid and it only takes one second for me to make a stupid mistake and undo +30 mult

It would be nice if the joker started bouncing when you select a card that would cause a negative effect.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

uPen posted:

It would be nice if the joker started bouncing when you select a card that would cause a negative effect.

Played a flush

crashed the bus

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm on Ante 2, and... well, ever get the feeling the game is trying to tell you something?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Update: Just got a negative Scholar, Seance, and Superposition. So apparently the game wants me to... make straight flushes containing Aces?

Edit: lol

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 19, 2024

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yes that is the exact situation where buying every planet card is great. Otherwise not so much.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So I'm playing Gold Needle, and I already have Acrobat and I'm now being offered a choice between Banner or Brainstorm and I don't know which one to choose.

Normally I'd take Brainstorm, but this is the first store so it's really tempting to grab Banner so I can coast through the first 2 Antes.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Behold: The Luckiest run ever

I lost pretty early :v:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Update: Just got a negative Scholar, Seance, and Superposition. So apparently the game wants me to... make straight flushes containing Aces?

Edit: lol

Still say superposition should let you make straights like Q K A 2 3

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Detheros posted:

Behold: The Luckiest run ever

I lost pretty early :v:

seed pls

PLS

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

quiggy posted:

It wasn't as of a few hours ago

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

So I'm playing Gold Needle, and I already have Acrobat and I'm now being offered a choice between Banner or Brainstorm and I don't know which one to choose.

Normally I'd take Brainstorm, but this is the first store so it's really tempting to grab Banner so I can coast through the first 2 Antes.

I'd brainstorm, it's gonna be useful later but even right now you can use it to copy acrobat for an easy x9.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quiggy posted:

nope

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Artelier posted:

seed pls

PLS

dont have it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I took a break from playing chequered deck once I got burned out on the second last stake and I've been doing some other decks on white stakes and holy crap I get how high card builds can be so powerful when you build around the right jokers. I haven't been trying any other higher stakes yet but white stakes seem completely inconsequential to me now and I think I'm going to work my way back up the final stakes on all decks and see which one I like the most now I am finally free of forcing flushes every game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ONE BLIND AWAY! With the Blind I could have maniped another of the Core and pushed into 18.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
You can influence what gets duped?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think cloning any of the non-garbage jokers there is very good (mime less good than the other three I think?) so you could sell the negatives and hit.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 19, 2024

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Yeah the extra jokers that aren't part of the core baron/mime/whatever else is important build are totally good to sell since duping one of these core jokers is likely way more powerful than whatever you just sold

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just tanked my highest scoring run ever.

Had DNA, Fortune Teller, Baron, Hologram & Steel Joker, with a couple of others that weren't contributing too much. Early on I managed to get a Steel King with a Red Seal and then DNA'd the poo poo out of it. Each round it incremented Hologram & Steel Joker by adding the card, and I was just blowing through tarot cards to increase Fortune Teller.

By Ante 14 my deck was basically made up of these Red Seal Steel Kings and a High Card was getting me through it no problem. Then Driver's License showed up for another x3 mult. I got so excited to go to the moon that I just bought it and ran into the next round. Which happened to be the Boss Blind that debuffed all Hearts. No prizes for guessing what suit my Kings were.

I even had the reroll voucher! Feels bad, man...

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there any sense of when the patch will be live for iOS and stuff? I’m at enough gold stickers that the update should legitimately be huge for collecting the rest

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
It took several hours and dozens of false starts but I beat the Golden Needle! Kind of funny that the end boss scrambled Acrobat before the other mult cards and I still won handily. Not shown was the deck which was nearly half face cards with like 11 Jacks.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Power of Pecota posted:

Is there any sense of when the patch will be live for iOS and stuff? I’m at enough gold stickers that the update should legitimately be huge for collecting the rest

Balatro is on iOS?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The engine it runs on runs on IOS/Android, there are unofficial programs that will port it. I run it on my android phone.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gangringo posted:

The engine it runs on runs on IOS/Android, there are unofficial programs that will port it. I run it on my android phone.
whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Yeah, I'm really surprised it didn't officially launch on Android. The only problem I've run into is that the fire effect on your chips and mult is a little glitchy.