Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Giant Ethicist posted:

Huh. Maybe I'm poisoned by knowledge, but this setup seems very easily readable to me. I won't go through why I think so, because it looks like it might be spoilers, though.

No, I got it too. This is very much a stock plot. birthday episode right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Mister Olympus posted:

No, I got it too. This is very much a stock plot. birthday episode right?
Precisely right.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I remember when Bad Machinery was being freshly posted in the bad webcomics thread (jesus, that's gotta be a decade ago now) and I remember bouncing off it because of how every character was written. Seeing all the other Allison stuff in here, yeah, that's not isolated to that one series.

I dunno, I guess I can't handle...however you'd describe it, I want to compare it to how Joss Whedon writes characters, but that feels a little too mean-spirited

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Aces High posted:

I dunno, I guess I can't handle...however you'd describe it, I want to compare it to how Joss Whedon writes characters, but that feels a little too mean-spirited

it's a valid comparison because they're coming out of the same primordial soup, the dawn of internet culture as we understand it today. it's the exact same feeling you get looking at posts from this website circa 2004, and the old allison comics make it very clear. he's refined it in a different direction since then, but is fundamentally bound to a lot of the same gestures

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I can't roll with Allison dialogue either. I think it's just a matter of taste.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Scary throwback :allears: "I'll call the scary" as a threat has been living rent-free in my head since I read it. It's like threatening to call Santa

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/9-11/52

Archie 3/2-4/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 7/3/77

Yes, the days when yoga was a weird fad rather than a routine form of exercise.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Selachian posted:

Archie 3/2-4/50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Whenever I look at a river or canal, I imagine the pike down there, skulking in the grotty depths. How do pikes find love? They seem like solitary beasts to me. I heard that when cooked, they taste of nothing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

They also have stingers. You're welcome.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Big Nate

They also have stingers. You're welcome.

And some are effectively immortal.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 15-17, 2006)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Olive & Popeye

Our Boarding House, in which Roscoe knocks the Major for a loop. (June 25-27, 1925; spoiler for Jewish stereotyping.)

Our Boarding House: The School Ma'am Saga (June 26, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (September 11-13, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Surgeon General's Warning (March 7, 1915; spoilers for more stereotpying)

Little Lefty surrenders to the inevitable. (February, 8-10, 1940)

e: for double posting

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 19, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
that Sterling panel is perfect avatar material.

FOOLS.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
You posted this one twice, the other outside the spoiler tags.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

t4t (turtle for turtle)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The joke is ancient, but I got a little chuckle out of the cow surgeon with rubber gloves on his hooves. Cow Tools PPE!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Haifisch posted:

You posted this one twice, the other outside the spoiler tags.

Fixed, and also ugh.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

I forgot to post this yesterday

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories :honk:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

$225 in 1925 is about $3,989.47 today

Edit:

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories :honk:

Comic Strips 2024: Free goose!

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 19, 2024

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Bonus ad

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 17, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

that's uh.....that's the whole thing lol. we'll get a Friday, a Saturday and a Sunday strip about it and some mentions here and there, but we don't spend any more time than needed on old mate Farley

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

goatface posted:

A beaker full of GMO spooge from the DNA wizard
going to give birth to a fine healthy litter of puppies

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

I feel so close to getting a translation on this joke, but I can't quite get here. So let me explain what's going on.

The phrase the crook uses in the original "käänsin kylkeä", literally means "I turned my side", which just means rolling over in your sleep. But "kääntää" (literally to turn) can colloquially also mean "to steal" and "kylki" is literally side or flank, so the guy was peacefully stealing some flank steaks. I know "rolling over" someone can be used as an euphemism for stealing or robbing, but I still feel like I can't quite get there.

Can anyone think of a way?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

What? If they're employees, they've already gotten past the application part?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What job is this where they don't ask for your resume before bringing you in for an interview

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Maxwell Lord posted:

What job is this where they don't ask for your resume before bringing you in for an interview

Newspaper cartoonist.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 28, 1962)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

I feel so close to getting a translation on this joke, but I can't quite get here. So let me explain what's going on.

The phrase the crook uses in the original "käänsin kylkeä", literally means "I turned my side", which just means rolling over in your sleep. But "kääntää" (literally to turn) can colloquially also mean "to steal" and "kylki" is literally side or flank, so the guy was peacefully stealing some flank steaks. I know "rolling over" someone can be used as an euphemism for stealing or robbing, but I still feel like I can't quite get there.

When you're talking about stealing from someone, you're "rolling" them, not "rolling over." Specifically, it's used for looting someone who's drunk, asleep, or unconscious. Which isn't very helpful for the translation, I know.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/18/04

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 1/18/53

Smokey Stover 1/8/61

Everyday Movies 6/14/37

"His folks gave me a swell party and I got the ring in the most UNUSUAL way. It was hid in my grapefruit!"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/18/43

Closer Than We Think! 1/8/61

Bonus Ad! Don't tell me you're a shoe hoarder!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

In case this is unclear, traditionally pubs had a more space-efficient throng of customers across the bar, where order was mostly enforced by the barstaff checking faces, along with a system of customer's nodding at people who have been waiting longer than they have. This form of politeness is being forgotten in favour of a vertical queue, where it is more obvious to everyone that the person waiting longest gets served first. I have seen a few signs put out by bar staff saying "don't queue at our bar", because it is pretty awkward in most pubs to have a line of people cutting through the room.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(6/27/1994)

(6/28/1994)

Ziggy

(11/24/1971)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The kind where you walk into a random office, find the man in charge, look him in the eye and shake his hand, and ask him for a job. :corsair:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

They've awakened the powerful Katrinka! :ohdear:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Looks like we found the thing that fisher guy was talking about.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Imagine the poo poo Bok is seeing now. How is he not blind with all that heat?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

Imagine the poo poo Bok is seeing now. How is he not blind with all that heat?
He can see normal light too. That's like saying "wow how is that human not blind with all that green?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Shauna is the best character and it's a drat shame that Allison couldn't figure out what to do with her after SGR was done. :colbert:

We Are Reproducing

Funny story about my brother in law. Back when he was a little kid (the late 80s) his mom took him to a Check E Cheese. Eventually it was time to go, and he pulled the ultimate kid trump card. "I don't know you! I'm not going with you! You're a stranger! This lady is trying to kidnap me! Go away!", etc. The staff had been paying attention, and had probably seen poo poo like this before, so MIL didn't really get hassled, but was absolutely mortified. Then and there, she declared a ban on Chuck E Cheese for her son.

Some time later, he was visiting the grandparents and there was some time to kill, so grandma suggested taking the boy to Chuck E Cheese. She of course had heard the story before, but she figured "I raised 2 kids, this is my second grandkid, he knows he got in trouble for pulling that stunt last time. He wouldn't dare try and pull that with grandma." Yeah, no. Second verse, same as the first. Not just a tantrum, but a full blown "HELP! I'm being kidnapped!"

So, he has now received a full blown lifetime ban, and even as a man in his 40s, with kids of his own, he's not allowed inside a Chuck E Cheese.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear, the ban is enforced from the family and not the company.