Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

playing an elspeth campaign with the game music set to 0% and black hole sun on repeat at max volume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is always good to have another campaign where you can play as a supervillain.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

jpparker55 posted:

Similarly, is there any mod that creates some kind of chaos invasion? I'm surprised there's no option for a chaos crisis, considering how many factions there are it would be an awesome way to shake things up across the whole globe.

I use this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2994357022

It's pretty cool, starts by spawning a bunch of beastmen/Norsca stacks, then Archaon's invasion, then a bunch of portals that poo poo out daemon stacks if you don't close them (or you can use them to teleport around the world).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So Elspeth is an Empire caster lord who can teleport across the map, fire more nukes than Ikit, upgrade the absolute poo poo out of the Empire gunpowder stuff, and rides a fuckin dragon? They REALLY went all-in on this DLC, god drat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jpparker55 posted:

Does anyone know of a mod that turns up the attacks on the Cathay wall? I feel like making them way stronger would invigorate that whole area. It's so safe and even turning on crisis has a pretty limited effect over there.

Similarly, is there any mod that creates some kind of chaos invasion? I'm surprised there's no option for a chaos crisis, considering how many factions there are it would be an awesome way to shake things up across the whole globe.

Won't help for Cathay but Archaeon is far enough away that using Unnatural Selection to buff his autoresolve should make him a huge threat depending on where you start.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

I use this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2994357022

It's pretty cool, starts by spawning a bunch of beastmen/Norsca stacks, then Archaon's invasion, then a bunch of portals that poo poo out daemon stacks if you don't close them (or you can use them to teleport around the world).

Uhh, this looks amazing thanks! Sounds a bit shaky with crashes from the comments, fingers crossed!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gonkish posted:

So Elspeth is an Empire caster lord who can teleport across the map, fire more nukes than Ikit, upgrade the absolute poo poo out of the Empire gunpowder stuff, and rides a fuckin dragon? They REALLY went all-in on this DLC, god drat.
She's also immune to vampiric corruption attrition for what it's worth,

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
i will probably never play elspeth

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'll probably play her first when the DLC drops

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Malakai's mechanics are gonna have to blow me away to pull me away from Elspeth as a first run yeah

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
Part of me wonders if all these cannon upgrades are a way for them to pre-test some features for a new Napoleonic/Empire kind of title.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Call a Jade Wizard ... but not for me!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

99pct of germs posted:

Lol

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

99pct of germs posted:

I assume the other 12 purples suns are busy destroying the neighborhood

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

99pct of germs posted:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

pesty13480 posted:

Part of me wonders if all these cannon upgrades are a way for them to pre-test some features for a new Napoleonic/Empire kind of title.

they do tend to do wacky things as tests for one or two dlc's down the line

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

toasterwarrior posted:

nuln ironsides not having repeaters is lore so bypassing that GW hangup by making up amethyst handgunners with repeater rifles is big brain moves imo

This reminds me of one of my favorite Kingdom Hearts 3 dev stories. So Disney gets the final say on everything, from models to animations to plot, to "How this character's eyes look in this cutscene." And like... it's hell, working with Disney is a miserable experience. BUT. They found the summons were super easy to get through because Simba being "A lion who's made of fire and vaguely resembles Simba" is fine with Disney, because it's not Simba in their minds, it's a fire elemental that resembles a lion.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I can't wait for dwarfs and nurgle to actually be amazing

And then never play empire

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

99pct of germs posted:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
apparently the nuln ironsides have burst fire anims?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Yeah my guess is that they were repeater rifle troops until recently when they got changed last minute. Why? Who knows. The idea of them being different from "handgunners with armor" was nice though.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

99pct of germs posted:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

pesty13480 posted:

Two of the tags added to the game with this DLC are 'Gunship' and 'Armored Vehicle' :allears: In fact, the Steam Tank now has directional damage reduction from ranged attacks!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

They made the dwarves able to teleport between specific Karaks via the underway, too? Daaaang... I hope Malakai gets an Ikit-style workshop, too. I want Dwarf artillery to be SCARY, drat you.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
dwarves should be faster and taller

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Give them pointy ears too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Be interesting to see if there are any day 1 nerfs or the like. Apparently there is an undercurrent among the CCs that the Thunderbarge is a tad too overpowered at the moment, and not really in a fun way either. Rather in a "destroys your whole army and there are no practical counters on your entire roster" kind of way for a fair few armies. Possibly with an easy fix though.

Mainly, the issue seems to revolve around the Afterburner ability. Currently it's an on/off toggle that does an utterly negligible amount of damage (25-50 DPS... on a unit with 13,000 hp) to itself in exchange for tripling its speed to 90. Given its mass and movement animations, that renders it mostly immune to airborne melee threats - even stuff nominally a bit faster than 90 generally just can't complete attack animations when the values are that close together. And the damage is so negligible you can just turn it on as much as you want to maintain that protection. Suggestions would be to jack that DPS up to an actual relevant amount, or you could just make it an ability with length and cooldown.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lord Koth posted:

Be interesting to see if there are any day 1 nerfs or the like. Apparently there is an undercurrent among the CCs that the Thunderbarge is a tad too overpowered at the moment, and not really in a fun way either. Rather in a "destroys your whole army and there are no practical counters on your entire roster" kind of way for a fair few armies. Possibly with an easy fix though.

Mainly, the issue seems to revolve around the Afterburner ability. Currently it's an on/off toggle that does an utterly negligible amount of damage (25-50 DPS... on a unit with 13,000 hp) to itself in exchange for tripling its speed to 90. Given its mass and movement animations, that renders it mostly immune to airborne melee threats - even stuff nominally a bit faster than 90 generally just can't complete attack animations when the values are that close together. And the damage is so negligible you can just turn it on as much as you want to maintain that protection. Suggestions would be to jack that DPS up to an actual relevant amount, or you could just make it an ability with length and cooldown.

Don't change in single player it will take 30 hours to unlock. Just make it more expensive in mp so nobody wants it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

99pct of germs posted:

Yes... hahaha.. YES!!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am really really really torn on which campaign to do first...

but it's gonna be some Spirit of Grungi time.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Best thread title change ever.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

dwarves should be faster and taller

Malakai will make Dwarves louder, angrier and give them access to a time machine so that they can go back in time to the instant a grudge was committed and settle them immediately afterwards

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

99pct of germs posted:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
gently caress I want this DLC now. Have a few days off coming up too

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

So they're adding the RA3 version of the Kirov? Shouldn't that have gone to Kislev instead of the dwarfs?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lord Koth posted:

From the indypride video it seemed to go down pretty quickly to sustained gunfire (while still doing damage), like you said, the big issue was against armies that don't have that and rely on their own airforce to clear the skies.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve been going for the campaign cheevos of the races I think I least likely to get DLC in the foreseeable future, which I think are the game 2 ones minus the Skaven (c’mon Thanquol :pray:). Besides them; I just have Vampirates left.

Aranessa getting Maneaters is their biggest change that I’m aware of. Have there been any other changes to how they play, either mechanically or as a side effect of balance changes?

They’re trickier than I remember, maybe I was relying too much on Queen Bess in game 2. There’s a bunch of reasons not to take too much territory. Hero caps governed by coves not settlements, generally meh economy buildings, major 10 slot capitols like Lothern and Marigliano getting knocked down to 8 when you take them. You So you want to sail the seas and make coves, but your neighbors hate you. Even Noctilus with his choice starting position is nudged towards getting into an eternal hellwar with all the Elves of Ulthuan.

Cool artillery, but so many units in their roster just suck, and everything is pretty vulnerable to anyone who can shoot back, which is most of my opponents in the aforementioned hellwar. Any tips?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

Yeah I was wondering that, you can see it quite clearly in the preview, it looks bizzare.

I will say that SFO has had repeater rifle ironsides for a while and they're a mixed bag, either they're so horrifyingly deadly to everything that you need to heavily restrict them, or you make them pretty inaccurate or fire kind of piddly ammo so they're not super satisfying. A normal handgunner regiment firing point blank is honestly more impressive, the main benefit of the nuln bois is they pack more firepower into a smaller unit which is useful situationally.

I'm honestly more hype for armoured, melee capable handgunners with beefier projectiles. Being able to delete things with a single volley is cooler than just peppering them all the time IMO. The latter is quite fun with vampirates though where your entire army is making GBS threads out bullets everywhere.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 19, 2024

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think HE are still likely to get another DLC with stuff from the Storm of Chaos army list i.e the Lothern navy units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJhFVSaWvWU Epidemius playthrough, 5 minutes into the campaign and they already found a exploit by spending 200 infections to make a building and cancelling it "earns" 200 infections for their quest.

Remind me, SoC had no Freelc lord to play alongside the DLC correct? they just skipped out on that because :effort: yea?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 19, 2024