Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Majorian posted:

Okay, so if it would be so easy, can you please answer my original question, ie: on what legal grounds would SCOTUS overturn a federal law legalizing abortion? There needs to be a case for them to make a ruling. What would that case be, why are we sure that it would make it up through the court system all the way to SCOTUS, etc?

Bear in mind, this argument only came up because someone's answer to "The Dems should have codified Roe into law when they had a majority" was "Well, SCOTUS would have overturned it anyway." I am challenging that answer, because I do not think things would have been that simple.

Both are dumb arguments, we're in this position because the Right showed up consistently and voted R no matter who until they got sufficient power to stack the court with their ideological partisans while the Left spent the last 50 years trying to out virtue signal each other rather than doing what is actually necessary to achieve change and showing the gently caress up and making themselves a reliable voting block and thus difficult to ignore.

The fascist on the other hand they show the gently caress up. As such the "really just want low taxes" Republicans know that if they ignore them they won't win any elections. Which is why the entire Republican Party is beholden to these MAGAts and just keep doubling down on the awful.

Also I'm 53 years old and the idea that the Democrats are further to the right than they were on any subject than they were 20 years ago is just batshit delusion.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
USCE 2024: FART

https://www.businessinsider.com/house-conservatives-fart-team-freedom-mike-johnson-gop-2024-4

Just more good decisions being made in congress.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Also the US has made it clear, through its continual support of Israel, that any piece of infrastructure, no matter how critical, is ok to attack, and any number of civilians casualties are acceptable, if you were attempting to destroy a military target. Of course, there is no need to present evidence of there being a valid military target present, we are happy to take your word for it.

Its going to be an exciting century now that the hegemon has explicitly redefined the rules of engagement to be 'just go for it'.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skex posted:

Both are dumb arguments, we're in this position because the Right showed up consistently and voted R no matter who until they got sufficient power to stack the court with their ideological partisans while the Left spent the last 50 years trying to out virtue signal each other rather than doing what is actually necessary to achieve change and showing the gently caress up and making themselves a reliable voting block and thus difficult to ignore.

That's because the American Left has been and continues to be too small to be a reliable voting block, though that is starting to change as the generations shift. There just are not enough Leftists in America.

The massive voting block that "opposes" the Right in America are the Neoliberals/Centrists, but they don't like or want change and have been an eager part of the Reaganite consensus for 40 of those 50 years.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
trust no one who uses virtue signaling non-ironically

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Byzantine posted:

Doesn't seem like there's much point to voting if even in the wildly impossible 2024 Dem blowout supermajority result, good things still can't happen.

Lots of good things happened between 2021 and 2023 because we elected a very narrow Democratic majority that ran through a living fossil from the most pro Trump state in the country and a delusional green party activist turned Blue Dog.

There just isn't one weird trick to win politics forever. If Democrats had codified Roe and appointed 30 fresh law school graduates to SCOTUS, the next Republican trifecta would still be able to repeal it and appoint 40 more groypers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

celadon posted:

Also the US has made it clear, through its continual support of Israel, that any piece of infrastructure, no matter how critical, is ok to attack, and any number of civilians casualties are acceptable, if you were attempting to destroy a military target. Of course, there is no need to present evidence of there being a valid military target present, we are happy to take your word for it.

Its going to be an exciting century now that the hegemon has explicitly redefined the rules of engagement to be 'just go for it'.

Pretty sure the US made that clear in basically every conflict it's been meaningfully involved in since 1938, if not earlier. Israel didn't invent bombing hospitals, nor did they invent indiscriminate or barely-discriminate bombing campaigns against civilian areas.

The US itself bombed hospitals in WWII, in Vietnam, and in Afghanistan. Probably in other wars too, those are just the ones where I can remember specific attacks off the top of my head.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

James Garfield posted:

There just isn't one weird trick to win politics forever. If Democrats had codified Roe and appointed 30 fresh law school graduates to SCOTUS, the next Republican trifecta would still be able to repeal it and appoint 40 more groypers.

And we're in this mess *Just kinda vaguely gestures at everything* because a lot of otherwise intelligent and well meaning people truly believed everything bad about America (Racism, imperialism etc etc) were Things of The Past and thus didn't need to be interrogated or argued against. It's one thing to think that progress is inevitable but it's a whole other thing to continue evolving and improving all the time

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Looks like Israel couldn’t leave it

https://x.com/abc/status/1781147061989023933?s=46&t=0ZwAPt7Rdn-yxkhTErNHRg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

It's good that we managed to both veto the proposal, and publicly show our rear end and how little international soft power we have now. That's cool. We got what we wanted, and managed to do it in a way that makes us look even more craven and isolated, coddling a genocidal ethnostate.

I'm not sure the US instantly dismissing something most of the rest of the world supports is the example you want to provide to highlight an example of our powerlessness.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not sure the US instantly dismissing something most of the rest of the world supports is the example you want to provide to highlight an example of our powerlessness.

Wielding our veto we have basically entirely because we were one of the five NPT nuclear weapons states isn't exactly a display of soft power as most would define it tbh. The UNSC veto is definitely a coercive action not one of convincing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kagrenak posted:

Wielding our veto we have basically entirely because we were one of the five NPT nuclear weapons states isn't exactly a display of soft power as most would define it tbh. The UNSC veto is definitely a coercive action not one of convincing.

Certainly, but the implication of it trying to point to it as an example of our increasing weakness or irrelevance while telling the world "no, you do not get this" doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense, to me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RBA Starblade posted:

Certainly, but the implication of it trying to point to it as an example of our increasing weakness or irrelevance while telling the world "no, you do not get this" doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense, to me.

It literally says "soft power" and is an example of the US be in out of step with the rest of the world, because it was the only state to veto the proposal.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Majorian posted:

Okay, so if it would be so easy, can you please answer my original question, ie: on what legal grounds would SCOTUS overturn a federal law legalizing abortion? There needs to be a case for them to make a ruling. What would that case be, why are we sure that it would make it up through the court system all the way to SCOTUS, etc?

Bear in mind, this argument only came up because someone's answer to "The Dems should have codified Roe into law when they had a majority" was "Well, SCOTUS would have overturned it anyway." I am challenging that answer, because I do not think things would have been that simple.

This issue isn't in the Constitution, states have long made laws about it, and this new law contradicts those. We believe it might actually be a right reserved to the states, who are suing *farrrrrrt*

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The virtue that I'm signalling is that genocide is bad

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fuckin' woke War Criminal, smdh.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Skex posted:

The fascist on the other hand they show the gently caress up. As such the "really just want low taxes" Republicans know that if they ignore them they won't win any elections. Which is why the entire Republican Party is beholden to these MAGAts and just keep doubling down on the awful.

Also I'm 53 years old and the idea that the Democrats are further to the right than they were on any subject than they were 20 years ago is just batshit delusion.

I've made my points, if you disagree please let me know why.

Thought of another way that Dems have moved right in 20 years. The concept of Medicare Advantage, renamed and fashioned into its current form in the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003, withthe basis of its existence relying on the pushing Medicare recipients into privately managed health care plans. Its extraordinary rate of increase has been coupled with a Democratic flagging of enthusiasm and retreat in plugging the holes of the Medicare system that Dems had sought to fill in previous decades, supplementary services like dental work, for example. Right now we're on the cusp of a majority of Medicare enrollees being in the program, which has a fixed payment system that incentivizes private companies to lower costs on individuals, with predicitble resullts:

quote:

In 2019, Medicare Advantage Organizations denied 13% of prior authorization requests that would have been accepted if the beneficiaries were in original Medicare.[16] In 2019 alone, Medicare Advantage plans cost tax-payers $9 billion more dollars than if beneficiaries were in original Medicare.

This veering into privatization is seen in other ways, like the embracing of Dejoy in the Postal Service, whose privatization and marginalization was critically attacked during the Trump administration, but is now free and clear to pursue that program.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Majorian posted:

A US law guaranteeing an individual right to something can also be interpreted (and legally speaking this is closer to the reality) as a restriction the federal government is putting on the states.

It wouldn’t need someone creating standing to challenge the law; to get it in front of SCOTUS all a state would have to do would be to continue enforcing their abortion law and wait for someone who they arrested under it to appeal up due to the federal law.

The basis they could use would probably be that the constitution doesn’t expressly give the federal government the right to restrict states in this way.

All that being said I don’t agree that a law would’ve been useless. It could’ve created a settledness to the issue that might’ve sapped the political will to overturn it the way Roe was.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

All that being said I don’t agree that a law would’ve been useless. It could’ve created a settledness to the issue that might’ve sapped the political will to overturn it the way Roe was.

While we are venturing into deeply hypothetical territory at this point, I don't believe that even having a federal law would stop an activist court from overturning it on flimsy grounds. We've seen time and time again that the current conservative USSC will use the most tortured logic to arrive at the point they want to get at.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I also agree that I don't think its a very good argument to say that passing Good Law to do Good Thing might've probably had been struck down by the Supreme Court anyways; its possible much like the PPACA was almost struck down until Roberts changed his mind. And it's definitely been the case that it's been argued in reverse before, that some good law passed by dems was actually meaningless because it got struck down or neutered by the courts and thus presented as a reason why Democrats haven't actually done anything despite evidence of the contrary. I think its fine to argue that it would've been great if the Dems had passed a law codifying Roe when they had the chance, but the real reasons why they didn't are much more nuanced and I think should suffice and it isn't need to talk about hypothetical Supreme Court decisions in the future.

The reality is no one in any position of power and responsibility to Americans has any idea of what a Codified Roe vs Wade law looks like. There's no IIRC actual consensus on a politically palatable vision of what exactly should be protected, and what limits, if any should be. Its very easy for us to say "There should be none." But this isn't necessarily the consensus far and wide, and in response to the Supreme Court ruling on it we saw a lot of this debate occur, the fact is 'political capital' is kinda real and discussing and debating such a law and stakeholders and holding hearings would've taken a lot of energy and effort away from Bidens other priorities, they couldn't just pass a "Abortion for All" (AFA?) law on a whim, it would've taken tremendous effort, and even then I'm not sure you could use reconciliation to pass it, Republicans would agree to vote to end debate to allow it to come to a vote; and I definitely don't see Manchin agreeing to further erode the filibuster for this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1781280373705437407

quote:

One woman miscarried in the restroom lobby of a Texas emergency room as front desk staff refused to admit her. Another woman learned that her fetus had no heartbeat at a Florida hospital, the day after a security guard turned her away from the facility. And in North Carolina, a woman gave birth in a car after an emergency room couldn’t offer an ultrasound. The baby later died.

Complaints that pregnant women were turned away from U.S. emergency rooms spiked in 2022 after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, federal documents obtained by The Associated Press reveal.

The cases raise alarms about the state of emergency pregnancy care in the U.S., especially in states that enacted strict abortion laws and sparked confusion around the treatment doctors can provide.

It’s happened despite federal mandates that the women be treated.

Federal law requires emergency rooms to treat or stabilize patients who are in active labor and provide a medical transfer to another hospital if they don’t have the staff or resources to treat them. Medical facilities must comply with the law if they accept Medicare funding.

The Supreme Court will hear arguments Wednesday that could weaken those protections. The Biden administration has sued Idaho over its abortion ban, even in medical emergencies, arguing it conflicts with the federal law.

“No woman should be denied the care she needs,” Jennifer Klein, director of the White House Gender Policy Council, said in a statement. “All patients, including women who are experiencing pregnancy-related emergencies, should have access to emergency medical care required under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act.”

Pregnant patients have “become radioactive to emergency departments” in states with extreme abortion restrictions, said Sara Rosenbaum, a George Washington University health law and policy professor.

“They are so scared of a pregnant patient, that the emergency medicine staff won’t even look. They just want these people gone,” Rosenbaum said.

Consider what happened to a woman who was nine months pregnant and having contractions when she arrived at the Falls Community Hospital in Marlin, Texas, in July 2022, a week after the Supreme Court’s ruling on abortion. The doctor on duty refused to see her.

“The physician came to the triage desk and told the patient that we did not have obstetric services or capabilities,” hospital staff told federal investigators during interviews, according to documents. “The nursing staff informed the physician that we could test her for the presence of amniotic fluid. However, the physician adamantly recommended the patient drive to a Waco hospital

Entirely predictably that in our liability-is-the-first-concern society that this would happen. It's not women who are seeking abortions who are suffering, it's anyone who is pregnant because the docs/admins don't want some jury deciding that no, actually, that emergency procedure to save the mother's life was a de facto abortion. It's why this isn't going to be an issue that goes away, it's going to keep happening over and over and over until reproductive rights are sacrosanct in every state in the country. Which many states are doing:

https://twitter.com/DemocracyDocket/status/1781043078104490136

I think these referenda are 11 for 11, and I think it's clear that the majority of people favor reproductive rights - or at least oppose total abortion bans - while you have Republican lawmakers failing to repeal comically draconian abortion statutes passed before the advent of electricity.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Making this post so I can quote it in a few years when Democrats start opposing abortion ballot measures because it starts hurting their turnout when they can't hang the carrot of a federal abortion-protection law over voters who can instead guarantee abortions for themselves within their state.

Taking Nevada, assuming they pass this measure, why would Dem voters in the state turn out in big numbers for abortion rights in future elections? One can claim they have empathy for people in other states but, well, Americans and empathy are a bit like oil and water oftentimes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

koolkal posted:

Making this post so I can quote it in a few years when Democrats start opposing abortion ballot measures because it starts hurting their turnout when they can't hang the carrot of a federal abortion-protection law over voters who can instead guarantee abortions for themselves within their state.

Taking Nevada, assuming they pass this measure, why would Dem voters in the state turn out in big numbers for abortion rights in future elections? One can claim they have empathy for people in other states but, well, Americans and empathy are a bit like oil and water oftentimes.

So, you're getting mad at hypothetical Democrats on things that aren't happening yet?

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

Mooseontheloose posted:

So, you're getting mad at hypothetical Democrats on things that aren't happening yet?

If the Dems aren't evil incarnate, why do I keep insisting that they are?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Cimber posted:

While we are venturing into deeply hypothetical territory at this point, I don't believe that even having a federal law would stop an activist court from overturning it on flimsy grounds. We've seen time and time again that the current conservative USSC will use the most tortured logic to arrive at the point they want to get at.

I mean I laid out how they could do it so I agree they could overturn such a law. I just think that if a federal law had been passed all those years ago, by now when they’ve captured the court the public perception of what is acceptable may have shifted to where the Heritage Foundation cronies wouldn’t have felt comfortable pulling the trigger on shooting it down. Yet anyway.

An amendment would be the real, final answer. A federal law would be really good though.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Mooseontheloose posted:

No, just seeding future jokes.

To your other point, isn't that why people fear Trump so much? Project 2025 is a list of things that aren't happening yet.

Politics for voters is largely about predicting what politicians will do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

koolkal posted:

To your other point, isn't that why people fear Trump so much? Project 2025 is a list of things that aren't happening yet.

Do the Democrats currently have a plan written down like Project 2025 outlining their opposition to abortion rights if they stay in power? If not it doesn't seem comparable.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

koolkal posted:

But Project 2025 is a thing that a group actually wrote with the intention of promoting it as a future policy platform. I don't think that's really the same as making up a type of guy that might exist in the future to be mad about.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

koolkal posted:

Well, yes, but 2025 is an actual list of things Trump plans to do, and intentionally not protecting abortion rights to keep it an election issue is a thing you’re making up.

And even if it weren’t, it isn’t like people are going to get MORE abortion rights under Republicans. I’m pretty sure we’ll get less 2025 stuff under Democrats.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

koolkal posted:

What are you talking about? You seem to be talking about cynical politicians doing things to keep being elected but you're only talking about Democrats here, when obviously Republicans have actually been doing this for decades; I don't think and haven't seen Dems doing this same kind of thing so its strange to me to create this hypothetical when there's no basis for it. Like hypothetically I can create the same hypothetical about hypothetical socialist politicians not implementing socialism as fast as they could for fear of losing elections to fascists the once they complete it and it should be clear why both hypotheticals don't make much sense.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

koolkal posted:

The NYT Pitchbot does it better, but good try.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1781294777830432868

That's also I think the first actual hard Cybertruck sales figure we've seen. The issue is that the plastic cover that goes over the accelerator pedal can slip forward and wedge itself under some trim, leading to permanent pedal-to-the-metal.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

koolkal posted:

This does not quite top you arguing that Trump is better for Palestine, but it's up there.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1781294777830432868

That's also I think the first actual hard Cybertruck sales figure we've seen. The issue is that the plastic cover that goes over the accelerator pedal can slip forward and wedge itself under some trim, leading to permanent pedal-to-the-metal.

I still do not understand how Teslas became such a status symbol when they're the only electric car that actively attempts to kill you.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Skex posted:

Whether or not this is accurate depends on how restrictively one defines "the Left". If we use the phrase generally to describe Americans on one end of a spectrum of views, as Pew does, rather than identifying people adhering to a specific ideology, then "the Left" is a core voting demographic for Democrats. If they have been ignored, it was in spite of being the most reliable voting bloc the Democrats have.

Pew Political Typology posted:

Although they are one of the smallest political typology groups, Progressive Left are the most politically engaged group in the Democratic coalition. No other group turned out to vote at a higher rate in the 2020 general election, and those who did nearly unanimously voted for Joe Biden. They donated money to campaigns in 2020 at a higher rate than any other Democratic-oriented group.

As of their most recent survey in 2021, the bloc of voters who were furthest left on issues were also the most enthusiastic Democrats. The disaffected leftists who aren't reliable voters are more numerous, but also aren't as radical as the hardcore partisans. That particular fissure isn't as apparent in their prior iterations of the survey, but those do still show that, generally, the voters who are the furthest left are also the most dedicated Democratic partisans. (edit: the existence of a substantial cohort of sharply left-leaning voters who are unreliable and don't like the party leadership, but when they vote, never vote for Republicans is a new thing.)

Hopefully they update it after this election cycle.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 19, 2024

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Making this post so I can quote it in a few years when Democrats start requiring anyone seeking an abortion bring the freshly severed heads of at least 2 social security recipients. It's honestly incredibly hosed up that I could just invent a policy for Dems to pass in the future like that

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Xombie posted:

I still do not understand how Teslas became such a status symbol when they're the only electric car that actively attempts to kill you.
wealthy people and tech bros are morons

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

James Garfield posted:

Lots of good things happened between 2021 and 2023 because we elected a very narrow Democratic majority that ran through a living fossil from the most pro Trump state in the country and a delusional green party activist turned Blue Dog.

This seems like a defeatist attitude. Based on this logic why try to ever make anything better? The Democrats still should have tried to codify Roe, which they could have probably done. But instead they just used it as a fund raising tool and to my knowledge it hasn't been a talking point or campaign promise by Biden or any of other major Democrat candidate

Also, hear me out here, it would be a great idea if Democrats did stuff that simply prevented fash from ever getting a majority ever again, because that would result in a net positive for society as they wouldn't have to appease racists and religious fundamentalists anymore

I know they don't actually want to do that because a supermajority means they have the ability to do things that oppose the wishes of their biggest donors in order to make the lives of the poorest people better but they don't even do a good job of lying about it

I will never understand why so many people continue to insist that we need to maintain an electoral system that allows nazis and chuds to win sometimes. That's not how a sane modern society should operate. As soon as some mush brain state rep publicly states that UFOs are in the bible they should be quietly shuffled off to a safe and humane mental health care facility and their seat vacated immediately. But nope. "Democracy" is too important. We have to give the fash a turn once in a while otherwise it's "not fair"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

What are you talking about? You seem to be talking about cynical politicians doing things to keep being elected but you're only talking about Democrats here, when obviously Republicans have actually been doing this for decades; I don't think and haven't seen Dems doing this same kind of thing so its strange to me to create this hypothetical when there's no basis for it. Like hypothetically I can create the same hypothetical about hypothetical socialist politicians not implementing socialism as fast as they could for fear of losing elections to fascists the once they complete it and it should be clear why both hypotheticals don't make much sense.
It's part of a trend where only Libs have agency, not the Republicans not Russia or Israel. All things are because the Dems make it happen with their all powerful well oiled machine. It's silly and insulting to basically every out and only really serves to shitstir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/israhirsi/status/1780980484203327780

Ilhan Omar’s daughter was suspended for participating in a peaceful protest

It appears as though the university president suspended them for the protest and then called the NYPD to remove them for trespassing

https://www.columbiaspectator.com/city-news/2024/04/18/adams-nypd-announce-over-108-arrests-during-gaza-solidarity-encampment-sweep/

quote:

Captain Jaclyn Keane confirmed at the press conference that all 108 arrested were charged with trespassing, and two were additionally charged with obstruction of governmental administration. The arrests came shortly after University President Minouche Shafik announced the suspension of the protesting students and authorized the NYPD to enter campus and “remove these individuals” from South Lawn.

“The police department then sent resources to Columbia per the University’s request and were brought onto the campus after numerous warnings were given and attempts made to disperse the crowd, the individuals still refused to leave,” NYPD commissioner Edward Caban said. “At that point, based on the University’s wishes to clear the South Lawn, which, again, is University property, arrests were made for trespass.”