Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been keeping an eye on this game for a long time but I'm concerned about two things:

1. Are traditional magic user classes worthless (as they are in most D&D type games) because they get to cast one spell and then have to camp? I don't want to have to load every inventory slot with camping supplies and rest after every single battle just so my wizard can do more than cast Magic Missile once and then hit people with their staff.

2. Are you going to miss out on loads of content if you don't heavily research the game and the lore? Things like "oh you killed that ogre that tried to eat your party? Sorry, you can't reach max level for any of your characters!" or "when you finished that conversation you were supposed to tap three times on the brick wall, type a command into an invisible text box and then walk backward off the left side of the screen."

In regards to casters, while they do have limited Spellslots, they also have Cantrips (think Level 0 spells) that you can use infinitely. While there are no Healing Cantrips, every caster class has access to attacking Cantrips, so you're never out of attacking options for your casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Has there been any indication from Larian that they plan to release a definitive edition? I would expect it except for the whole "we're done with BG3" announcement from a few weeks ago so I wasn't sure if there was any news on that front

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

johnny park posted:

Has there been any indication from Larian that they plan to release a definitive edition? I would expect it except for the whole "we're done with BG3" announcement from a few weeks ago so I wasn't sure if there was any news on that front

I mean, there's no DLC, what would the Definitive Edition have that the current and maybe $10 digital upgrade stuff

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Definitive Edition for DOS2 rebalanced large segments of the game and switched up a lot of content in Act 3, a theoretical DE for BG3 would probably be along the same lines although Larian have already made significant changes in their normal patches.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The Definitive Edition for DOS2 rebalanced large segments of the game and switched up a lot of content in Act 3, a theoretical DE for BG3 would probably be along the same lines although Larian have already made significant changes in their normal patches.

I’d imagine that was just a side benefit of the fact that they were also doing the console port at the same time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Larian did the Enhanced Edition for DOS1, and Definitive for DOS2. They aren't meant to be a DLC collection, they're a more polished experience. I'm hoping they do so for BG3 and really clean up act 3, it's just too messy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So are you guys saying that this hypothetical Definitive Edition would have patches that the regular game won't get?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It’s been bothering me for a while and it doesn’t really matter but why isn’t it balduran’s gate, and don’t say that it’s because they didn’t want to change the name because he was inexplicably named that back in the first one, or at least his sword was, I guess it’s some kind of Carolina/Charles thing? Does d&d have a Latin equivalent?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Medullah posted:

So are you guys saying that this hypothetical Definitive Edition would have patches that the regular game won't get?

No, anybody who bought DOS1/2 got the Definitive Edition as a free update and it cost the same amount as the base game.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Node posted:

Larian did the Enhanced Edition for DOS1, and Definitive for DOS2. They aren't meant to be a DLC collection, they're a more polished experience. I'm hoping they do so for BG3 and really clean up act 3, it's just too messy.

Is Act 3 really still that bad? That's disappointing

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

No, anybody who bought DOS1/2 got the Definitive Edition as a free update and it cost the same amount as the base game.

Huh that's interesting. Honestly the game is pretty perfect for me, with the huge content and bugfix patches they're apparently STILL working on I don't know what else I would even want in a ~definitive edition~. I guess whenever they're finally done they could slap the label on it and reissue the game as a new SKU to get a few bucks from people who never bought it.

Act 3 is kind of a sprawling mess but 90% of it is optional so it doesn't really bother me. Do the side quests you care about then head to the endgame. "You can leave! If it sucks, hit da bricks" as the meme goes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

johnny park posted:

Is Act 3 really still that bad? That's disappointing

There's a good number of things that has this very obvious feeling that it was cut or butchered so it could meet a deadline. The lack of methods to resolve the fireworks factory and newspaper are the two examples that come to mind. The forced violent confrontation with the dragon as well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Node posted:

There's a good number of things that has this very obvious feeling that it was cut or butchered so it could meet a deadline. The lack of methods to resolve the fireworks factory and newspaper are the two examples that come to mind. The forced violent confrontation with the dragon as well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah the fireworks quest is a shitshow for sure. The artist quest also still sucks rear end. If just making existing quests actually work properly is the kind of thing they'd do in a "definitive edition" vs just normal patches then sure let's see it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thank you for the info. You have saved me from re-installing Fallout 4. Again. I will try to resist reading about all the theorycrafting for which characters should be which classes because I would probably drive myself crazy.

Unless there's some really important decisions that a new player would regret missing out on for their first playthrough. :ohdear:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you for the info. You have saved me from re-installing Fallout 4. Again. I will try to resist reading about all the theorycrafting for which characters should be which classes because I would probably drive myself crazy.

Unless there's some really important decisions that a new player would regret missing out on for their first playthrough. :ohdear:

Main things to keep in mind are:

1) The game will generally warn you when you are hitting Main Plot Stuff that will advance the world state. In other words: clean up any loose ends before doing this because some quests will close early if you advance the main plot. It'll be a big pop-up.

2) This one is... technically a minor spoiler, but without context, it doesn't mean much. Late Act 1 and early Act 2, the game will make a big deal about you going to a place called Moonrise Towers. Don't psyche yourself into thinking that's the big "Point Of Plot Progression" that makes you miss out on stuff; it's not. Go there early. There's stuff to do there that you can miss out on. I myself made this mistake in my first run, and had to revert to an older save when I failed to heed both this tip, and 1).

3) If you come across an Urgent Event that is happening right over there, like someone under attack, or Trapped in a Quickly Lethal Situation, try to resolve that before leaving or taking a Long Rest, or you may miss out on that situation due to "you didn't save them so guess what". Otherwise, almost nothing is urgently timed, and you can Long Rest as much as you want.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I like act 3, but it seems like there's a stupid amount of factions who are poised to take over Baldur's Gate and/or the world today regardless of what the game's big bad's plans are. Stuff like Saervok returning is a footnote (unless you're Durge, which is unlikely on a first playthrough). Cazador is going to ascend and become a tyrant on the current day. Shar's cult looks like they're doing their own supremely evil thing, I can't remember if those plans started before or were in response to the Absolute business.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

BlazetheInferno posted:

Main things to keep in mind are:

2) This one is... technically a minor spoiler, but without context, it doesn't mean much. Late Act 1 and early Act 2, the game will make a big deal about you going to a place called Moonrise Towers. Don't psyche yourself into thinking that's the big "Point Of Plot Progression" that makes you miss out on stuff; it's not. Go there early. There's stuff to do there that you can miss out on. I myself made this mistake in my first run, and had to revert to an older save when I failed to heed both this tip, and 1).

Perhaps to elaborate slightly on this: there's a few moments in every act where the game tells you to go to a certain place and a lot of players think this is like in Bioware games where going to that place automatically locks you into or out of content. This game is honestly really hard to sequence break and telegraphs points of no return really well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly I'd say they were extremely bad at telegraphing that Moonrise Tower was a quest hub that you're supposed to visit first, rather than the final dungeon of the Act. Like, when you do actually hit the point of no return they have a big pop-up going "are you absolutely sure you want to do this? it will permanently change the state of the world and fail all your sidequests," which is definitely nice of them, don't get me wrong, but it happens at the very bottom of a dungeon that until that moment felt like it was a character's sidequest that had little to do with anything else. Unless, of course, you were crazy enough to visit what was obviously the final dungeon before doing anything else.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

Perhaps to elaborate slightly on this: there's a few moments in every act where the game tells you to go to a certain place and a lot of players think this is like in Bioware games where going to that place automatically locks you into or out of content. This game is honestly really hard to sequence break and telegraphs points of no return really well.

This is an example of why the script writing in this game is so great. On my second playthrough I'm doing things in a different order than the first. Some of the dialog is the same. Maybe a sentence is added that corresponds to my choice, but it leads into the same speech the NPC gave last time. I didn't notice my first time playing that many things the NPCs said were relevant no matter what dialog option I chose, or what order I did things in. The characters will rehash things in their dialog lines, as a safeguard so it's relevant no matter what info you have or don't have, but it doesn't feel redundant. I can't think of specific examples, but you'll know if you've done more than one playthrough.

Clarste posted:

Honestly I'd say they were extremely bad at telegraphing that Moonrise Tower was a quest hub that you're supposed to visit first, rather than the final dungeon of the Act. Like, when you do actually hit the point of no return they have a big pop-up going "are you absolutely sure you want to do this? it will permanently change the state of the world and fail all your sidequests," which is definitely nice of them, don't get me wrong, but it happens at the very bottom of a dungeon that until that moment felt like it was a character's sidequest that had little to do with anything else. Unless, of course, you were crazy enough to visit what was obviously the final dungeon before doing anything else.

Yeah, a rare miss.

Also maybe a hot take, but I see people complain about act 3 more than any other. Act 2 is the one I really don't like; it's too linear and has some annoying things, like navigating the actual big dungeon of the map (which as has been discussed, isn't Moonrise).

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 19, 2024

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Clarste posted:

Honestly I'd say they were extremely bad at telegraphing that Moonrise Tower was a quest hub that you're supposed to visit first, rather than the final dungeon of the Act.

A character literally tells you to go there because you're the only person who can walk in there incognito. It was obvious to me.

Edit: especially because you can do the exact same thing in act 1...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Deltasquid posted:

A character literally tells you to go there because you're the only person who can walk in there incognito. It was obvious to me.

Edit: especially because you can do the exact same thing in act 1...

The difference being that the Goblin Camp is the final dungeon of the act and doing stuff stuff there first will immediately shut off all quests in the Grove? The goblins camp is the opposite of a quest hub, it's where you go to finish all the quests you picked up in the Grove.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

One thing that I ended up looking up my first run through that I am glad I did. I found a couple things in the Underdark that I really didn't know what they were, and ended up googling them to find out that they combined into a really good wizard staff.

I had the Icy Crystal and Icy Helve and it seemed like they were something more than just vendor trash, so I googled and found there was a third part, the Icy Metal, which I HAD sold to a vendor, and took some time to figure out which one.

It's a really nice staff for an Ice Wizard, and there's some other items that complement it early on. But it's not the end of the world if it's missed.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I spent way too much time on my first run researching optimal builds and got stuck in analysis paralysis instead of just playing the dang game. Especially since some of the “broken” builds don’t even come online til like level 10+ or require end game gear.

Nothing about balanced or even really tactician requires min maxing. Just play what sounds cool and fun. If you don’t like it you can respec yourself or your companions trivially. Seriously I don’t know if I’ve ever played an RPG that makes it so easy to totally change everything about your entire party at any time on a whim. There’s no need for anxiety over building “wrong”.

I will suggest respecing your companions though once you have a feel for the game. Not cause it’s necessary but most of their default stats and sub classes are that bad. Why do they all have odd number stats it’s straight up wasted points for no reason :argh:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Node posted:

The haunted mansion was absolute trash. Every loving invisible ghost in the house aggroed on me and each loving one took a minute long turn to do absolutely nothing, before it timed out and the next one did the same thing. I think it took me like two loving hours to kill a handful of ghosts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah Shadowheart being Trickery domain is just a huge handicap. I'm sure it's got it's place, but there's much better options. I moved her to War and it was great.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Nothing about balanced or even really tactician requires min maxing. Just play what sounds cool and fun. If you don’t like it you can respec yourself or your companions trivially. Seriously I don’t know if I’ve ever played an RPG that makes it so easy to totally change everything about your entire party at any time on a whim. There’s no need for anxiety over building “wrong”.

Not even Honor really needs min-maxing. It's just that minimizing the luck factor matters so it's much safer to stack the deck.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SlimGoodbody posted:

The voice acting and character writing for this game is loving unreal. It's got to be some of the best I've ever experienced. They're all such complete people.

I always thought of good voice acting and direction as a "nice to have" thing at most, with one or two exceptions (hi Emet-Selch). Then this game comes along and, huh, maybe it is actually kind of a big deal. It's not going to save a bad script, but great VA work tied to good writing makes characters so much more engaging than they'd be without it.

Zodium posted:

drat, that's way better than mine. i just hit the random button until i roll a vibe that goes with the story i want to tell, like my honor mode serial killer durge:

See, that's what a normal person would probably do. Meanwhile, I've probably spent $100 on Fantasias in FF XIV, and at least one of those was for the sole purpose of changing my character's skin tone slightly. Or, in this game, I'll spend an hour clicking back and forth between two hairstyles trying to decide which one fits better or is heterochromia too LOOK AT ME or whatnot.

Dick Trauma posted:

As another person who's late to the party, game good very fun go play*. If there's any outside help I'd say you'd want, it might just be a map because there's a lot of stuff that's easy to miss: just try not to rely on it so much that you just wind up going from Map Point to Map Point. For your second question, here's a list of time-sensitive stuff, though a lot of it's pretty obvious. Don't take a nap in a burning building, don't wander off to the shops when baddies are about to eat a kid, don't drive yourself mad trying to get a perfect run, etc. etc.

*as evidence for this, it finally snapped me out of my alternating loop of playing too much Hearts of Iron 4 and meaningless late-expac Final Fantasy XIV, and thank god for that

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 19, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

The haunted mansion was absolute trash. Every loving invisible ghost in the house aggroed on me and each loving one took a minute long turn to do absolutely nothing, before it timed out and the next one did the same thing. I think it took me like two loving hours to kill a handful of ghosts.

I didn’t encounter that thankfully. It did take me way too long to realize you need to destroy the stupid haunted candelabras though. That wasn’t obvious to me at all I didn’t understand what kept killing me and thought the place was (even more) bugged to poo poo lol. Not saying that’s what happened to you, just there’s a lot of weird and bad stuff about that quest.

I had also found and forgot about the hiding zombie and Mystic Carrions body part jars like 30 hours earlier which made that whole segment confusing and awkward.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

LifeLynx posted:

Stuff like Saervok returning is a footnote (unless you're Durge, which is unlikely on a first playthrough).
Why would that be unlikely? I planned on only doing one complete play through and picked Durge because it seemed like the obvious choice. I mean your choices were the companions, create your own generic dude, and create your own dude with an interesting back story and extra story content. Durge seemed like the character everyone was supposed to play the first run .

Clarste posted:

I guess what made me visit it soonish is that it is directly across from the bridge I took connecting the two halves of the map and right by the first waypoint on that side. I probably would have been more hesitant to go if it was tucked away in the northwest like the Gauntlet of Shar. I think I did save the game though just in case the game trapped me, so the thought did enter my brain.

Deltasquid posted:

Oh yeah that too. Someone does tell your your brain worm will get you past the guards don't they?

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 19, 2024

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Docjowles posted:

I didn’t encounter that thankfully. It did take me way too long to realize you need to destroy the stupid haunted candelabras though. That wasn’t obvious to me at all I didn’t understand what kept killing me and thought the place was (even more) bugged to poo poo lol. Not saying that’s what happened to you, just there’s a lot of weird and bad stuff about that quest.

I had also found and forgot about the hiding zombie and Mystic Carrions body part jars like 30 hours earlier which made that whole segment confusing and awkward.

I saved the game after like an hour and a half and reloaded it mid battle and things started to attack me a little more, rather than just stand there and do nothing invisible. Still was a pain after that though I remember.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just a general tip too, if you have a companion you're particularly fond of, make sure you do their sidequests. They can get pretty pissy if you mess up on that front

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

been theorycrafting the most evil playthrough for next patch, and came up with this move:

washing down my grilled boo with a nice glass of milk, and a biscuit for dessert. :yum:

Docjowles posted:

Yeah the fireworks quest is a shitshow for sure. The artist quest also still sucks rear end. If just making existing quests actually work properly is the kind of thing they'd do in a "definitive edition" vs just normal patches then sure let's see it

people keep saying the artist quest sucks, and it kind of does, so here's a guide on how to do it without having to deal with the skulls at all, because it's actually a great source of fast xp. it's one of the first things I do when I get to the lower city to hit level 12 asap.

* talk to the butler outside and go in.
* kill all the poltergeists for that sweet xp. you'll need a source of see invis, but it's not hard to get, and they seem to have fixed the problem with them going invis and just standing there. you can reveal them from floors below/above.
* talk to jannath.
* go back outside and down the street. use a jumping/flying potion or scroll and jump up on the roof opposite jannath's estate. then do this:

* turn on turn based mode, use dash and run into the atelier.
* get the torch from mystic however you prefer.
* jump back up the same way and finish the quest. dadaaa!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Medullah posted:

One thing that I ended up looking up my first run through that I am glad I did. I found a couple things in the Underdark that I really didn't know what they were, and ended up googling them to find out that they combined into a really good wizard staff.

I had the Icy Crystal and Icy Helve and it seemed like they were something more than just vendor trash, so I googled and found there was a third part, the Icy Metal, which I HAD sold to a vendor, and took some time to figure out which one.

It's a really nice staff for an Ice Wizard, and there's some other items that complement it early on. But it's not the end of the world if it's missed.

There's only like three items in the game you can combine to make a weapon or whatever. There's that staff, the spear in act 1 next to the dead true soul, and the wiki says you can make a crossbow out of the Steel Watchers in Act 3 (I guess I missed that one) They really should have just left it out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Made it to Baldur's Gate does anyone know a good place to set up my incense shop

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

Made it to Baldur's Gate does anyone know a good place to set up my incense shop

*salivates in Sharran*

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Zodium posted:

been theorycrafting the most evil playthrough for next patch, and came up with this move:

washing down my grilled boo with a nice glass of milk, and a biscuit for dessert. :yum:

I bet you ride a motorcycle and don't care what people think about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rojay posted:

I bet you ride a motorcycle and don't care what people think about it.

I've already reported him to the FBI, no way someone that would do this doesn't have a crawlspace filled with children's shoes

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Medullah posted:

I've already reported him to the FBI, no way someone that would do this doesn't have a crawlspace filled with children's shoes

Tell me you know how to get around a restraining order without telling me that you know how to get around a restraining order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You can fly by the time you get to the haunted house