Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

a sexual elk posted:

Mixed with some

Driveway be all

Wildflower yards are where it's at. We had a couple volunteer African Daisies and globe mallow plants I let be a few years back and now they're propagating on their own. Not quite as dense as that, but every year the field gets bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Can anyone who follows MLB explain why it's so hard for them to fire Angel Hernandez? Why is the MLB's Umpire union so influential?

I think MLB is using Angel Hernandez to break the umpire union and install robo umps

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1781294777830432868?t=xpfDEwm2KJKY8gweJAQt8Q&s=19

Surprised it took this long, lol

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I was disabused of the notion of women's sports being kind many years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Piuuqqs10

I remember when that happened and I had some male friends who we aghast that I shrugged it off because it happens a lot.

My Angel Hernandez theory is that he's got info on the MLB higher ups so they won't fire him. Or is on the take for sports betting and they don't want that scandal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Can anyone who follows MLB explain why it's so hard for them to fire Angel Hernandez? Why is the MLB's Umpire union so influential?

Dango Bango posted:

I don't follow MLB closely, but umpires are the cops of baseball. If that helps answer the question.

Oh so goons hate unions now, noted.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hot Diggity! posted:

Finally getting some friends down to our place for poker this weekend. Gonna smoke a bunch of wings and then win all their cash.

E: as a follow up it's still extremely unclear to me what my coworker did to undercut our CCO, but she apparently had not been happy for a while and was fine with the termination (very possible it was also a "quit or be fired" situation, which we've done before) per a mutual buddy in that office. So may not have been bad after all. Company cut bait, she's happier...

Poker night with the friends is one of life’s delights. Good for you, my friend :)

Mixing card games with the messiest of snacks is a choice though lol

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

They were also being cagey about how many they had sold so I think that’s the first solid number of units we’ve seen.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

LeeMajors posted:

There’s a big air show this weekend at Charleston AFB with the Thunderbirds that could be fun, but that’s pretty far from IOP. Charleston’s main draw is food, drink and beach and it gets a little boring sometimes. There are tons of nice breweries with good outdoor spaces. Check out the brewery trolley that should be running this weekend downtown. For food check out Xiao Bao Biscuit on Spring St, Lewis BBQ for brisket. If you’re staying east don’t sleep on the little bar and restaurant area on Sullivans. Poes is cool and has good burgers. Obstinate Daughter gets good reviews also.

If yall want to get outside you can catch a ferry to Capers or Bull island to gently caress off and look at big gators and ghost trees on the beach. Big wild areas. There are fishing charters galore too. Kayaking or paddle board rentals at Shem creek (Coastal Expeditions has good guides).

Two years ago my birthday coincided with a work trip to Charleston so I ate a lot of crabs on the company dime and I threw up all the crabs. T hat's my Charleston story.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Two years ago my birthday coincided with a work trip to Charleston so I ate a lot of crabs on the company dime and I threw up all the crabs. T hat's my Charleston story.

If you knew how many tourists I transport for hangovers + elevated southern food vomits, you’d know this is just everyone’s Charleston story haha.

“Hi I’m from Seattle so I drank 10 grand ma shots and ate a gallon of she crab soup, now I covered everyone on my carriage tour in curdle vomit” x10000

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The guy who plays Yabushige in Shogun has a very good surprised face, which he gets to break out a lot because he’s constantly getting caught being a two-timing dipshit by Toranaga.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
his little grunt noises are great

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wonder if my BIL will send his in.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

a sexual elk posted:

Also thinking of a decoration for the middle of the small garden. Powered waterfalls and bird baths are lame, so I’m leaning a simple cairn straight outta rear end creed.

Start hunting big flat rocks

a while back i was doing a walk on the trail near my house and saw a couple cairns put together. was pretty cool.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Remember how it went when the NFL used replacement refs?

For MLB it... it went much worse

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Freaquency posted:

The guy who plays Yabushige in Shogun has a very good surprised face, which he gets to break out a lot because he’s constantly getting caught being a two-timing dipshit by Toranaga.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
love to forget I have dough proofing in the oven and preheat it for something else :negative:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Oh so goons hate unions now, noted.

Cop unions aren't unions, they are a specially protected cadre to enforce the will of the owner class and bust unions. I don't think any other unions recognize or ally with police unions.

I do think umps should have a union though, but I also thinking having a strike/ball calls be automated is a good idea and its really dumb we don't do that.

Nov 6, 2002

But is their union so strong that they can prevent ANYONE from ever being fired despite gross incompetence for years?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

But is their union so strong that they can prevent ANYONE from ever being fired despite gross incompetence for years?

Angel Hernandez is proof of that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Evidence points to: yes

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The umpires union is stronger than the players union right now, which lol

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

that's that guy!?! wow

I kept thinking the guy they cast as Yabushige has too kind of a face because in the book he is such a huge rear end in a top hat

Nov 6, 2002

someone just lit themselves on fire outside of the court for trump, it's on AP live feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8iZLie7mRE

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Mixed with some

Driveway be all

Excellent, I'm super in favor of natives. These guys all want full sun though, you got a spot with that? They can do OK in partial shade but if you want this sorta glorious infill with a jillion flowers, full sun is the best.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Excellent, I'm super in favor of natives. These guys all want full sun though, you got a spot with that? They can do OK in partial shade but if you want this sorta glorious infill with a jillion flowers, full sun is the best.

Yeah this spot, sun basically all day

Just a little less for the bit that gets blocked by the tree trunk

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Deleted.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 19, 2024

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nodoze posted:

The umpires union is stronger than the players union right now, which lol

I wonder how much leverage the NFL scab refs debacle gave officiating unions in other sports leagues. I still have a pic saved somewhere of that contested catch in the Green Bay - Seattle MNF and the two refs giving totally different calls.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Tate caught the ball :hawksin:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

LeeMajors posted:

Imagine being this loving stupid.

Doesn't appear to be Trump related:

Investigators are now fanning out to collect the flyers the unknown man threw into the air, another senior law enforcement official. A CNN team on the ground observed one of the flyers. It said "NYU is a mob front" and had various allegations of wrongdoings against the school.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-hush-money-trial-04-19-24/h_a0c5ea747751ddad7bc88749d2f559d1

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
At least the USAF airman that immolated himself was specifically protesting Palestine.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Might not be protesting anything at all. Could be a very public suicide attempt.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I've seen images from the guy's social media and excerpts of their Substack and unfortunately it looks to be the endpoint of a massive mental break.

Nov 6, 2002

He's a "one world government" conspiracy kinda guy...

https://theponzipapers.substack.com/p/i-have-set-myself-on-fire-outside

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Doesn't appear to be Trump related:

Yikes. Deleted.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Excited for Aaron Rodgers to tl;dr this for me during his next McAfee appearance.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Yeah this spot, sun basically all day

Just a little less for the bit that gets blocked by the tree trunk

That's more of a partial shade situation, from the wall and from the shadow of the tree canopy, but it's more on the full sun side than the shade side so I bet they'll do alright.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Angel Hernandez thing is an understandable bad result of how we do union/management relations in the US:

1. Even very good umps are going to make mistakes. Sometimes very visible ones!
2. The league gets a lot of pressure to punish umps for those mistakes. Baseball is a very flukey game, and sometimes a single bad call can change the game. Also, a lot of owners, managers, and fans are sore losers, and the baseball press is mostly just a bunch of local diehard fans with a platform.
3. The union takes protecting its members from that pressure very seriously. For one, it’s something every ump is conscious of, because the first step of that pressure is the managers constantly screaming in their face. But also, if there was a system for punishing umps for bad calls, it seems likely that it’d quickly get ramped up to be really bad for umps — that basically they’d be getting constantly punished for minor mistakes and even just marginal judgment calls.
4. It is very likely that those consequences would not be balanced among teams. Teams with more influence, or just with whinier management, would probably be able to get you in more trouble as an ump. So umps would, effectively, be punished for not biasing calls towards those teams. And of course that works the other way, too: teams would have a pretty clear incentive to push harder to “hold umps accountable”. And if this punishment involves suspensions, you’re also talking about bringing in a lot of less-experienced umps. So there are some real arguments that a regime like that would be very bad overall for the league.
5. All that said, there are definitely a few umps with a long history of inexcusable calls who probably shouldn’t be in the league anymore. It would probably be better overall for the umps if they admitted that and didn’t close ranks to protect bad actors like Angel Hernandez. But when unions have this sort of adversarial relationship with management, it’s really hard to make that kind of decision; and the union actually has an affirmative responsibility to protect every member to some degree.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

My favorite thing about Angel Hernandez is that he filed a discrimination suit against MLB because he wasn't getting assigned to the World Series. So the league walked into court and basically said "Your honor, he sucks poo poo so we don't want him to work the most important games of the year" and the court agreed. So now it's a matter of US legal history that he is bad at his job

Nov 6, 2002

rjmccall posted:

The Angel Hernandez thing is an understandable bad result of how we do union/management relations in the US:

1. Even very good umps are going to make mistakes. Sometimes very visible ones!
2. The league gets a lot of pressure to punish umps for those mistakes. Baseball is a very flukey game, and sometimes a single bad call can change the game. Also, a lot of owners, managers, and fans are sore losers, and the baseball press is mostly just a bunch of local diehard fans with a platform.
3. The union takes protecting its members from that pressure very seriously. For one, it’s something every ump is conscious of, because the first step of that pressure is the managers constantly screaming in their face. But also, if there was a system for punishing umps for bad calls, it seems likely that it’d quickly get ramped up to be really bad for umps — that basically they’d be getting constantly punished for minor mistakes and even just marginal judgment calls.
4. It is very likely that those consequences would not be balanced among teams. Teams with more influence, or just with whinier management, would probably be able to get you in more trouble as an ump. So umps would, effectively, be punished for not biasing calls towards those teams. And of course that works the other way, too: teams would have a pretty clear incentive to push harder to “hold umps accountable”. And if this punishment involves suspensions, you’re also talking about bringing in a lot of less-experienced umps. So there are some real arguments that a regime like that would be very bad overall for the league.
5. All that said, there are definitely a few umps with a long history of inexcusable calls who probably shouldn’t be in the league anymore. It would probably be better overall for the umps if they admitted that and didn’t close ranks to protect bad actors like Angel Hernandez. But when unions have this sort of adversarial relationship with management, it’s really hard to make that kind of decision; and the union actually has an affirmative responsibility to protect every member to some degree.

Ok yeah yeah, but there's no review or grading process that the union and MLB have agreed upon? MLB ump can't be some kind of lifetime appointment, these guys must have contracts that the league can choose to renew or not.

The NFL gives each official a grade after every game, and it determines if they get to do playoff games and if their contract is reupped. If the MLB had something like that in place I don't see how Angel Hernandez would still be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Rogue Elephant posted:

My favorite thing about Angel Hernandez is that he filed a discrimination suit against MLB because he wasn't getting assigned to the World Series. So the league walked into court and basically said "Your honor, he sucks poo poo so we don't want him to work the most important games of the year" and the court agreed. So now it's a matter of US legal history that he is bad at his job

:lmao: this is incredible