Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
here, knock yourself out lol
https://theponzipapers.substack.com/p/i-have-set-myself-on-fire-outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Excelzior posted:

because the previous most recent self immolation was about something else entirely, something that they want to remain memory holed

Yeah it almost surely was genocide related and they absolutely, positively, definitely do not want to even acknowledge that.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
this is in the manifesto for why the guy set himself on fire

quote:

As it turns out, dozens of the writers of The Simpsons went to Harvard. So I asked myself the question: If The Simpsons served the interests of organized crime, how would it do so?

Well, it offers a dysfunctional family suffering from moral decay, a community incapable of solving its problems, a worker drone who slaves away for an evil billionaire, and cathartic laughs for our poor collective circumstances.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Yeah it almost surely was genocide related and they absolutely, positively, definitely do not want to even acknowledge that.

actually it's about crypto and covid

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Thoguh posted:

he was a mentally ill man that thought the Simpsons was part of a bitcoin Ponzi scheme

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Well I took a swing and a miss on that one.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the lesson here is: just learn to laugh at the president farting in court

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

SixteenShells posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/fire-trump-trial-1235007624/

so like. what was on those papers? article doesn't say. it is a complete mystery how and why this happened. the strangle glyphs on these papers tells us nothing worth reporting

Update: friend of mine found a picture of the papers. it's printed out versions of this: https://theponzipapers.substack.com/p/the-true-history-of-the-world-haunted

edit: lol, beaten badly. oh well. I still think it was really weird to leave out any information about why they did it, even if the reason was whatever the gently caress this is

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

As it turns out, we have a secret kleptocracy: Both parties are run by financial criminals whose only goals are to divide, deceive, and bleed us dry. They divide the public against itself and blame the other party while everything gets worse and more expensive and handful of people take all the money.

Yeah, its classic conspiracy kook stuff. They have all the pieces to know that something is fundamentally wrong with society, but lack any kind of leftist thought to draw the correct conclusion. So they spin off into wacko land.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

1stGear posted:

Yeah, its classic conspiracy kook stuff. They have all the pieces to know that something is fundamentally wrong with society, but lack any kind of leftist thought to draw the correct conclusion. So they spin off into wacko land.

yeah it's funny cuz I was reading the first few paragraphs and i'm nodding along and then you get to the government creating covid in order to justify inflated tech stock values and the simpsons being a brainwashing tool and uhhhhhhh

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

So it turns out the guy was just a c-spam poster then

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

always happens

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if only we actually lived in a REAL liberal democracy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
America: The Scariest and Stupidest Story in World History

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
anyways, always sad to see someone kill themselves because their posts didn't get enough upvotes on reddit. nasty way to end it. this is why the government should have a branch of the NSA that is dedicated solely towards upvoting and commenting on lonely people's posts.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

if only we actually lived in a REAL liberal democracy

liberals longing for a better meritocracy where the talentless dregs rightfully at the bottom get back to waiting tables and stop asking for more than they're given

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Imagine discovering such a world shaking truth (the rich are stealing from us).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

so this is what happens when an article brained liberal realizes brands aren’t your friends and politicians don’t actually care? lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In his historic New York criminal trial, former President Donald Trump faces the prospect of some very real punishments—including fines and even prison time.

But in court in Manhattan on Tuesday, the former president was subjected to a different kind of punishment that seemed almost expressly designed to torment him: He had to sit silently as mean tweets about him were read aloud.

As prosecutors and defense lawyers sparred over the composition of the jury that will ultimately decide the hush money case, some of the prospective jurors’ past social media posts about the former president were debated for evidence of possible bias. As a result, for more than an hour the notoriously thin-skinned Trump was forced to listen to jokes about his appearance, his likeability, his intelligence, and—to use a phrase Team Trump first popularized—whether prosecutors should “lock him up.”

You can practically hear the staff in the Saturday Night Live writing room sharpening their pencils already.

These jokes ranged from the caustic to the crude. “I don’t think this is what they meant by Orange is the New Black,” read one post shared by a jury candidate’s husband around 2016 and which featured a photo of Trump and Barack Obama.

“Trump invites the Thai boys to the White House, and the boys request to return to their cave,” read a joke shared by another prospective juror, referring to the young soccer team rescued in Thailand in 2018.

“I’m dumb as gently caress,” an AI version of Trump said in one video shared by a prospective juror about two weeks ago. (After admitting they found the video funny, this person was dismissed for cause, but the other two described above ultimately made the jury—no doubt much to Trump’s annoyance).

Although Trump has had trouble staying awake at certain points during the trial so far, including on Tuesday when journalists in the court described his head drooping repeatedly, he reportedly had no such problem during this section of the trial. “Trump doesn’t look amused,” Lawfare’s Tyler McBrien observed from inside the courtroom.

For a man whose ego is so sensitive that he has surrounded himself with a coterie of sycophantic aides and launched a new social media platform where his fans could boost his inane musings without any sense of reality creeping in, the entire process must have been excruciating for Trump.

Indeed, as we know from his seething response to being roasted by Obama at the 2011 White House Correspondents’ Dinner, Trump hates being a laughing stock. Per Roger Stone, that was the event that most likely compelled Trump to run for office in order to be taken seriously—and to seek revenge.

But in court on Tuesday, there would be no such opportunities for Trump to hit back at the jokes about him. Instead, he had to sit silently and listen to person after person talk about how they’ve mocked him in the past.

“‘I’m dumb as gently caress,’ an AI version of Trump said in one video shared by a prospective juror about two weeks ago.”

At one point, it apparently became too much and Trump couldn’t help himself, muttering something while one woman was being questioned about her posts—earning a swift scolding from Judge Juan Merchan.

“Your client was audibly uttering something,” Judge Merchan told Trump’s lawyers in a stern warning. “I won’t tolerate that. I will not have any jurors intimidated in this courtroom. I want to make that crystal clear.”

Indeed, it was this prospective jury member whose posts might have made Trump the most uncomfortable on Tuesday.

The ex-president’s legal team uncovered a video the jury candidate had shared on Facebook from the day Trump lost the 2020 presidential election, when the woman had gone to move her car and found people celebrating in the streets. She’d written in her post that she almost felt compelled to honk her horn in order to spread the cheer at what felt like a dance party. She told the court it felt like she was capturing a historic “celebratory moment in New York City.”

Remember that Trump has quite literally constructed an alternate reality for himself out of lies in which he won the election. And as a boy from outer Queens, he has spent his entire adult life trying to impress and outdo the Manhattan glitterati he felt looked down on him.

But here he was on Tuesday, not only making history as the first former president to face a criminal trial, but coming face to face with a Manhattan woman who had captured a moment of history—of reality—that Trump at last had to face: While many people love him, many others hate him.

They celebrated when he lost. They laughed at his misfortune. They danced in the streets.

And as this woman was ultimately added to the jury after convincing the judge she could remain impartial, a thought must have crossed Trump’s mind: No doubt, if he’s convicted, they will dance in the streets again.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

this is the best piece of tv criticism ever written

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Does Iran have an equivalent of Fox News

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

this is in the manifesto for why the guy set himself on fire

"the Simpsons is an op" certainly explains how its still on the air

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i really really do not care if someone farts in a courtroom

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he was a mentally ill man that thought the Simpsons was part of a bitcoin Ponzi scheme

that's correct

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

i really really do not care if someone farts in a courtroom

Yeah we know

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Would be pretty funny to just rip rancid farts in a court room tbh

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

silicone thrills posted:

not if ur the presdient. democracy is at stake. be better.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Counterpoint: im gay

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

maj gay
so what

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

luv2shit posted:

not if ur the presdient. democracy is at stake. be better.

No.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is me when I look at myself in the mirror vs when I see photos people took of me

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

the lesson here is: just learn to laugh at the president farting in court

live, laugh, love--that's what I always say

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

this

DJJIB-DJDCT