Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm kinda curious about xdefiant but its very funny that its their attempt to cash in on the hero shooter vs overwatch and valorant, and all characters are just boring tom clancyverse guys with guns, meanwhile valorant just released an agent thats a nonbinary scottish ghost that can haunt the match from beyond the grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the biggest tragedy is that they lost the Tom ip
now it's just named xDefiant but it used to be Tom Clancy's xDefiant (tm)
previously some of the (teams? factions? classes?) were lifted from other tom clancy games like the division but iirc now they're all OCs?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

they are all based loosely on those Tom Clancy games, the names have just been filed off really.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I knew they dropped the branding but I wasn't aware they changed the characters. it used to be like, division rioters and rainbow six agents and unnamed splinter cell man that is not sam fisher

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not playing any Tom Clancy game until they bring back Domingo "Ding" Chavez.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the biggest tragedy is that they lost the Tom ip
now it's just named xDefiant but it used to be Tom Clancy's xDefiant (tm)
previously some of the (teams? factions? classes?) were lifted from other tom clancy games like the division but iirc now they're all OCs?

Wait they lost Tom?!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's dead Jim

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Remember that Magic The Gathering ARPG? I signed up for the Alpha Test, played for about 10 minutes and got da gently caress out of there. Havent heard about it since!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It was canceled after that alpha bombed so hard, op lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it loving sucked. theres probably space for Deck Building Diablo where all of your abilities are randomly drawn and replaced as you use them but, it wasnt that one

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

wizard2 posted:

Remember that Magic The Gathering ARPG? I signed up for the Alpha Test, played for about 10 minutes and got da gently caress out of there. Havent heard about it since!

that would be due to it shutting down without ever leaving beta because feedback was so universally negative that WotC ate their losses and dipped

mystes
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

theres probably space for Deck Building Diablo where all of your abilities are randomly drawn and replaced as you use them
Please give me that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

homeless snail posted:

it loving sucked. theres probably space for Deck Building Diablo where all of your abilities are randomly drawn and replaced as you use them but, it wasnt that one

Magic the Gathering Roguelike sounds like a fun concept that'd probably work with the right dev

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm surprised someone hasn't done that already but I guess diablo style games are quite labor intensive and deckbuilders tend to be small indie games because they are so much simpler to make so maybe nobody has thought to put those games styles together?

Not that it really has to be diablo level graphics

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
a roguelike game about building a deck of trading cards..... genius! never been done!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

it seems like a no-brainer to just make an update of Shandalar, an RPG where your battles are MTG duels

but i guess we're talking about WOTC here

mystes
May 31, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

a roguelike game about building a deck of trading cards..... genius! never been done!
:airquote:roguelike:airquote: (or roguelite?) deckbuilders are common but is there anything that is really actually that roguelike?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

its biggest issue was that "ARPG" and the presentation style thereof has become synonymous with a game where you work as hard as possible to turn yourself into a riding mower that you can effortlessly drive through a dungeon while listening to a podcast, and having randomized card drops that require you to pay attention above the baseline is anathema to that

i'd certainly welcome a multiplayer isometric dungeon crawler that was about smart tactical choices as much as it was builds and items, but that's gotta be something you aim for in design and not just a weird brand-appropriate gimmick you slap onto a diablo 3 clone

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Vermain posted:

that would be due to it shutting down without ever leaving beta because feedback was so universally negative that WotC ate their losses and dipped

haha! I think I heard something recently about a bunch of half-assed D&D games that got cancelled prior to Larian's Baldur's Gate release, and had assumed

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vermain posted:

its biggest issue was that "ARPG" and the presentation style thereof has become synonymous with a game where you work as hard as possible to turn yourself into a riding mower that you can effortlessly drive through a dungeon while listening to a podcast, and having randomized card drops that require you to pay attention above the baseline is anathema to that

i'd certainly welcome a multiplayer isometric dungeon crawler that was about smart tactical choices as much as it was builds and items, but that's gotta be something you aim for in design and not just a weird brand-appropriate gimmick you slap onto a diablo 3 clone
thats true but my problems were more that, it was incredibly unclear what your buttons are going to do next at any given moment, if youre making that kind of thing you have to find some way to make it very explicit what the card on each button is going to do beyond just, showing you the card art and hoping you've memorized them. and also the maps were intensely uninteresting even by diablo clone standards and had way too many tower defense objectives

it was the kind of f2p arpg that is a little too interested in being a mmo so you can show off your sick cash shop cosmetics in the social spaces

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Haven’t played it myself, but the recently released Dream Tactics is sort of that kind of fusion of SRPG and deckbuilding.

I heard it’s not bad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

the maps were intensely uninteresting even by diablo clone standards
I feel like they must have had to work at that

Rinkles posted:

Haven’t played it myself, but the recently released Dream Tactics is sort of that kind of fusion of SRPG and deckbuilding.

I heard it’s not bad.
oh that looks cool

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1590160/Liberte/

This game sort of did deckbuilder ARPG, but in a janky way (as is the game itself).

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Midnight Suns on sale and it's a straight up blast. Between this and Guardians of the Galaxy there's been some mad good Marvel games

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1781419096770572551

RIP

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Midnight Suns on sale and it's a straight up blast. Between this and Guardians of the Galaxy there's been some mad good Marvel games

did they ever let you smooch anyone in that game

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Kerrzhe posted:

did they ever let you smooch anyone in that game

Nah, there was only one romance in the game and it didn't involve the player.

You could go fishing with Blade, though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you create your own avatar like in tony hawk underground?

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Do you create your own avatar like in tony hawk underground?

I haven't played THU, but yes. Deadpool, in fact, insists on calling you "Customizable Main Character".

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dead pool is in the game? Skip

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Midnight Suns on sale and it's a straight up blast.

Oh wow, it's on deep sale too! If any y'all were on the fence about it, it's definitely worth $15.

Great game. (It was #3 on my GOTY thread list last year)

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Dead pool is in the game? Skip

He's DLC.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked the battles in Midnight Suns all the chores between missions fatigued me that I stopped playing a handful of hours in. Shame.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was the opposite, I enjoyed the social stuff in Midnight Suns way more. It felt like Persona but super heroes. The later story missions turned into absolute bullshit and so I slowly started to hate the combat.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the monastery sucks but you can ignore pretty much all that stuff without repercussion. just hit the training thing and the research desk when you have stuff to do. it should just be a menu like xcom

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wait this is a MARVEL-branded game? Skip

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I said come in! posted:

Yeah the fact that she said she didnt want to out of fear of being blacklisted, makes me believe its one of the big studios in Seattle.

Oh God, it's actually worse than I thought. I read "interview" as they had requested an interview for a magazine or website article or something, which is terrible enough as it is. But in this case, "interview" means a job interview, and they brought her in on the pretext of maybe getting a job so they could hit on her? :stonk:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Realtalk, I had patience in my heart for exactly one rpg game having a between-mission hub that requires the player to move an avatar around to access the facilities (fire emblem three houses), now I’m fully menu-pilled.
Elden ring’s roundtable hold was really small but even that was pushing its luck

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Majula....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

yeah, like, the problem with RPG hubs most of the time is that they're either incredibly boring or so disconnected from the rest of the game that they may as well just be a menu. majula's not only incredibly gorgeous on every level, even in DS2's dumpy-rear end lighting engine, but the whole idea of a bunch of broken people coming together in an old ruin and finding new sources of meaning is perfectly in tune with DS2's themes