Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I saw a really fun post which was like “my mass-produced by indentured servant third-class pre-citizens disposable rifle which I took down onto a fire tornado planet while riding in a bullet I got into after 5 minutes of training has slightly misaligned sights!”

Everything hosed about the game should be kept and explained as part of the world.

Oh the lever on the oil control system isn’t working and you can’t complete the mission? Tough poo poo should have thought of that before you dropped a 500 kg bomb 10 meters away from it now evac in disgrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Nah the sights should work and the missions shouldn't bug out.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I haven't been able to start the game for the past two days because it crashes on boot, loving the deep lore of the automatons hacking my computer, so immersive

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sokani posted:

Nah the sights should work and the missions shouldn't bug out.
Arrowhead's working on it, I'm sure.

I like the in-game explanation for buffs being further iterations on weaponry

Triarii posted:

I haven't been able to start the game for the past two days because it crashes on boot, loving the deep lore of the automatons hacking my computer, so immersive
So, Darktide uses the same engine and I was struggling with constant crashes from that game too. if you have an Intel i9 13900k/i7 13700k processor you may have to underclock the performance cores to avoid these crashes."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tfw you drop into a pubbie mission on quick play, and the mission has been running for 20 minutes and they have not completed a single objective and they're down to 2 reinforcements left :psyduck: wtf were they doing??

i completed the entire mission myself. i'd call one of the others in as the reinforcements reloaded, and he would immediately run off to shoot at some patrol and die in 45 seconds, and it'd be back to just me sneaking around actually DOING THE FUCKIN JOB. goddamned casuals.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

can you carry a GL and a Quasar?

I wish they had a practice room or something to try stuff out instead of having to deploy into a match to just try out diff configurations

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should be able to go back to Mars and use any stratagem and weapon you have unlocked on the firing ranges

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

tfw you drop into a pubbie mission on quick play, and the mission has been running for 20 minutes and they have not completed a single objective and they're down to 2 reinforcements left :psyduck: wtf were they doing??

i completed the entire mission myself. i'd call one of the others in as the reinforcements reloaded, and he would immediately run off to shoot at some patrol and die in 45 seconds, and it'd be back to just me sneaking around actually DOING THE FUCKIN JOB. goddamned casuals.

In their defense some missions just go like that. Me and my kid did a duo where we ended up dropping RIGHT outside a heavy nest + Stalker nest + Shrieker nest and both died 3 times before we got clear enough to take a breath. Did fine after that point, but it was a rough start for sure.

Personally I LOVE the vibe the game gives. Yeah, the "Totally Democratic and not Evil" government wants me to fund my own ships upgrades which basically amount to "Lets ignore OSHA!". Yeah, they want me to purchase usage rights for new weaponry that way or not be useful. Yeah, some missions are basically just "Go kill things for oil". Embrace the poorly funded and trained cog in the corrupt machine that you are.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

I wish they had a practice room or something to try stuff out instead of having to deploy into a match to just try out diff configurations
No. Both are support weapons. The closest you could do is a GL and use EATs for when you need heavier firepower, but you would need to remember to pick up your GL again before running off.

On the strategem screen it does tell you whether a calldown uses a backpack slot.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I was doing a rocket launch defense mission and the bugs just stopped coming and the rockets stopped firing. Still can't join friends haha what is going on with their servers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anyone else here who hasn't had a Brasch Tactics video play on their ship in like at least a month?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone else here who hasn't had a Brasch Tactics video play on their ship in like at least a month?

I've never had one and don't really know what they are beyond presumably that tutorial general yelling poo poo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

This is the usual SOS random pubbie game experience, you get used to it. Tag the map as to where you’re going, and when they need reinforcements wait until you’re very far away to reinforce them away from their cluster gently caress alarm deathball they insist on fighting.

Strong Sauce posted:

You can use the quasar personal shield impact grenades and the grenade pistol which gets you sort of close to what you are wanting.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

This medium outpost MUST be vanquished.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Reiley posted:

This medium outpost MUST be vanquished.

Sometimes you drop onto double gunship towers and that's just the game.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

WarpedLichen posted:

Sometimes you drop onto double gunship towers and that's just the game.

No enemy presence detected.

Oh neat a Factory Strider!

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
An AC user can take on any amount of gunship towers with gusto and aplomb.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What’s the best pass to get? Was thinking of contributing ten bucks to democracy.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Cutting edge is good for the sickle

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Tbh you can't really go too wrong at the moment, all of them have at least 2 really good things.

Steeled Veteran has the Incendiary Breaker and Dominator
Cutting Edge has stun grenades and the Sickle
Detonation has the grenade pistol and Eruptor

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Do you want:

A cool fire shotgun that will light your teammates on fire and a 40k bolt gun.

A Laser LMG and Stun Grenades

A cool grenade rifle and a grenade launcher secondary?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Steeled vets for the senator. Everything else in it is good to have also, but I would buy steeled again just for the revolver.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The crossbow is actually really cool if you know to use it like a demoman grenade launcher and not like an ADS sniper gun. Just flick shots in third person. Whatever your grenade arc intuition is, it will probably work just firing the crossbow without holding right mouse button.

e: The crossbow is a primary version of the grenade launcher. I think that's the best way to describe it.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 20, 2024

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you think you'll ever like the game enough to buy the super citizen upgrade, you'll get steeled veterans with it, so don't spend your super credits on that one if you'd ever consider that. I'd recommend Cutting Edge for the Sickle, since it's very strong everywhere. The Eruptor is satisfying, but a bit more niche.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the eruptor's niche is 'anytime im not bringing the autocannon'

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Reiley posted:

The crossbow is actually really cool if you know to use it like a demoman grenade launcher and not like an ADS sniper gun. Just flick shots in third person. Whatever your grenade arc intuition is, it will probably work just firing the crossbow without holding right mouse button.

e: The crossbow is a primary version of the grenade launcher. I think that's the best way to describe it.
Tonight we were doing a bug missile defense 8 that decided to spawn just wall-to-wall hunters for a while. At one point I got 35 kills with one crossbow clip. :hai:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I actually had a pretty good time with the Adjudicator tonight, difficulty 9, against bots. I was using the light armor with engineering kit from that same battlepass, and as long as I found cover and crouched before firing (full auto mode, mostly in bursts), I could take out light and medium bots pretty effectively, and deal with those scout walkers in ways lighter ARs couldn't. A real stick and move approach. I doubt it works as well against bugs, mind, but I had fun.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

It's time for an update to everyone's "Legit" Business strats!

As I suspected, if you add additional group members, they can farm your "exhausted seed." So if you have a good one, 3 people can hop in, and loot your farm. Everyone still benefits! I do not know what happens if you run it 2x, but it might be a situation where the group can rotate through what specific drops they take off the map. Or you just need to cycle through a bunch of players and everyone gets a little taste.

Again, I feel that this is yet another (and this time even more on the nose, yeesh) allegory for capitalism.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I thought it was just the Charger that has human teeth, but I watched a video of all Terminid 3d models....and they all have a set of human teeth, even the Bile Titan. :stare:

I'm full on board believing, Terminid were originally all genetically modified humans

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 20, 2024

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Mordja posted:

I actually had a pretty good time with the Adjudicator tonight, difficulty 9, against bots. I was using the light armor with engineering kit from that same battlepass, and as long as I found cover and crouched before firing (full auto mode, mostly in bursts), I could take out light and medium bots pretty effectively, and deal with those scout walkers in ways lighter ARs couldn't. A real stick and move approach. I doubt it works as well against bugs, mind, but I had fun.

It actually works really well, 1 or 2 bullets for small guys, short bursts for medium, just shreds.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mordja posted:

I actually found it very enjoyable against bugs; more so than bots even. I didn't do any actual testing or anything but it feels like it has very favourable breakpoints against bugs that make it feel good to shoot bugs with.

I maintain that it could use an extra spare magazine or two because 6+1 magazines of 25 is... not very much but the gun itself (stats and characteristics-wise) I think is perfectly fine. Good, even, so long as you use it properly.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

was carrying quasar w/ the breaker spray and pray thinking it would be the nice pairing but apparently the spray and pray's bullets don't penetrate spewers, which means its much harder to kill the middle-tier of bugs. :|

Ravenfood posted:

No. Both are support weapons. The closest you could do is a GL and use EATs for when you need heavier firepower, but you would need to remember to pick up your GL again before running off.

On the strategem screen it does tell you whether a calldown uses a backpack slot.

thanks i didn't know that's how you tell

Risky Bisquick posted:

This is the usual SOS random pubbie game experience, you get used to it. Tag the map as to where you’re going, and when they need reinforcements wait until you’re very far away to reinforce them away from their cluster gently caress alarm deathball they insist on fighting.

You can use the quasar personal shield impact grenades and the grenade pistol which gets you sort of close to what you are wanting.

mainly use pistol to get rid of any of those melee bugs but i'll play around with that

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

was carrying quasar w/ the breaker spray and pray thinking it would be the nice pairing but apparently the spray and pray's bullets don't penetrate spewers, which means its much harder to kill the middle-tier of bugs. :|
I think since the buff fire breaker is better than S&P even if you have the DoT bug, so there's no reason to use it unfortunately. Needs another pass.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the unfortunate black mirror of 'stupid pubbies getting stuck in' is 'just running away from the fight and leaving your battle buddies to die, instead of cleaning it up fast so we can all move on'.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sindai posted:

I think since the buff fire breaker is better than S&P even if you have the DoT bug, so there's no reason to use it unfortunately. Needs another pass.

incendiary breaker is my go to for bugs and also stray pellets will set pubbies on fire who don't know to dive and that's pretty funny.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Back Hack posted:

I thought it was just the Charger that has human teeth, but I watched a video of all Terminid 3d models....and they all have a set of human teeth, even the Bile Titan. :stare:

I'm full on board believing, Terminid were originally all genetically modified humans

Do you still have a link to that video because that sounds interesting and nightmare fuel?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Apple Craft posted:

Is there a lore explanation for who "we" are? Not the helldivers, but the 4th wall player entity controlling them? I'm not sure if I am articulating this very well, but each new helldiver spawns with the exact armor, weapon loadout, emotes that we chose and we play as them regardless of how many die. Yet, these are supposed to be different people who volunteered, and not clones. So are we just meta, "lol vidyagames", or is there any in-game explanation for it?

The helldivers contract says after you die the next helldiver inherits the stuff you bought

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Open Marriage Night posted:

What’s the best pass to get? Was thinking of contributing ten bucks to democracy.

Sickle is hands down the most versatile weapon right now, until its nerfed so

Strong Sauce posted:

thanks i didn't know that's how you tell

mainly use pistol to get rid of any of those melee bugs but i'll play around with that

Use the sickle to trash sweep

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else have a consistent issue with being randomly taken out of zoomed in view with pretty much every weapon? I can't seem to hold the zoomed in view without the game randomly forcing me back into 3rd person mode, sometimes spastically.

Part of me thinks maybe my right mouse button is giving out but I've only ever noticed it in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Had a really weird experience with the rocket defense tonight, I wonder if the difficulty settings for that mission type might be borked. First time I dropped on it, the game just wouldn't stop spawning Bile Titans - like there was a literal horde of them, along with chargers and all the other low-mid tier bug units. We got completely overwhelmed and the mission got scrapped before the third rocket even fired.

Second time was a complete joke. Almost entirely low-tier units and virtually nothing else; half of them ran towards the walls outside the extract point and sat there while we shot them like fish in a barrel. Only 1 Bile Titan spawned for the entire mission and I don't think I saw any chargers either.