Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sure but I like levelling at bonfires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

so much of the hub map in that marvel game is just, vast open world garbage that the side stuff expects you to interact with. gotta collect those orbs and pick flowers for your next slink and scout out date spots

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah the Abbey is too big and there's too many currencies

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Vermain posted:

yeah, like, the problem with RPG hubs most of the time is that they're either incredibly boring or so disconnected from the rest of the game that they may as well just be a menu. majula's not only incredibly gorgeous on every level, even in DS2's dumpy-rear end lighting engine, but the whole idea of a bunch of broken people coming together in an old ruin and finding new sources of meaning is perfectly in tune with DS2's themes

Yeah and the music is perfect

https://youtu.be/Z9zUkNBGVhs?si=qouCTsSUJiCT3Js1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Majula was neat.

Lets never do it again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

Majula was neat.

Lets never do it again.

why do that when we could instead have long brown hallways filled with sacks of sand with faces painted on them

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Vermain posted:

why do that when we could instead have long brown hallways filled with sacks of sand with faces painted on them

Lol turn on your monitor

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A good hub like Majula can be the most memorable thing in a game.

Midnight Sun's hub was terrible because it looked and played like a generic store purchased asset and had no character whatsoever.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

im playing midnight suns now. love the gameplay but theres too much bullshit between missions. writing swings between 'fine' and 'worst pits of the mcu' largely depending on how funny the writers are trying to be.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Majula was pretty ugly honestly. A bunch of dead trees and shacks. The only pretty part is the sunset. Put a sunset on Firelink Shrine or pretty much any outdoor area and it'd be just as pretty.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Firelink looked like it was made with N64 assets. The Nexus was much prettier.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Volte posted:

Majula was pretty ugly honestly. A bunch of dead trees and shacks. The only pretty part is the sunset. Put a sunset on Firelink Shrine or pretty much any outdoor area and it'd be just as pretty.

i agree; as we all know, the look and sound of gently rolling ocean waves breaking against a cliffside has never enhanced an environment in any way

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8

very weird that kurosawa went to all this trouble for no reason. frankly seems like a waste of time when you could just plop a camera down in field during a sunny day and let 'er rip

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8

very weird that kurosawa went to all this trouble for no reason. frankly seems like a waste of time when you could just plop a camera down in field during a sunny day and let 'er rip

God seeing just a few frames reminded me how bad the Ikiru remake was. Wanna believe in Spike but casting Ice Spice in High and Low does not give me confidence.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Vermain posted:

Don’t doxx my goonhovel

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Still kinda hold it against Majula that it accidentally led me into a midgamr area and away from the intended first area

I think I actually beat dragonrider before I realized it wasn’t supposed to be *that* hard

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

haveblue posted:

Still kinda hold it against Majula that it accidentally led me into a midgamr area and away from the intended first area

I think I actually beat dragonrider before I realized it wasn’t supposed to be *that* hard

That's chronologically reason three or four why I hate dark souls 2, depending whether you count how bad moving feels and how bad attacking feels separately

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And yet the dark souls 1 graveyard/catacombs/newlondo gets a pass. Hmm. Interesting.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

dragonrider's actually got less health than the pursuer, so it's intended to be totally doable from the start. the real roadblock is the old knights being brick walls, especially without strike damage, whereas everything in forest is significantly less threatening

dragonrider's actually the starting boss of choice for most runs nowadays because there's a very consistent setup you can do that'll send him screaming off into the ocean, and the souls he drops is just enough to get the silvercat ring and level up a bit to survive the fall into the gutter, so you can tackle any of the branching areas as you please

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Majula oblongata

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m glad we’re talking about video games in here again , and not dreams, which are the exact opposite of video games

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a man's video games... will NEVER die!!!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I’m glad we’re talking about video games in here again , and not dreams, which are the exact opposite of video games
sadly they never ported dreams to ps5

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vermain posted:

dragonrider's actually got less health than the pursuer, so it's intended to be totally doable from the start. the real roadblock is the old knights being brick walls, especially without strike damage, whereas everything in forest is significantly less threatening

dragonrider's actually the starting boss of choice for most runs nowadays because there's a very consistent setup you can do that'll send him screaming off into the ocean, and the souls he drops is just enough to get the silvercat ring and level up a bit to survive the fall into the gutter, so you can tackle any of the branching areas as you please

You can pick up a mace in majula that most(?) of the classes can equip baseline which does strike damage, which is super helpful for those guys.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

haveblue posted:

That's a proud Dark Souls tradition given how much more obvious the path to the graveyard seems than the stairs to the burg in DS1.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jay Rust posted:

My video games didn’t die when I turned thirty…

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Of course it’s also a lot easier to get back out of Heide’s Tower than Tomb of the Giants

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haven't heard about Dream, the Minecraft cheater in a while.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Dreams was a video game!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heide's tower is still a beautiful area despite most of DKS2 looking pretty bad. The approach to Drangleic was also sick.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is Eneba safe to buy keys from? Is it a YMMV situation?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Rinkles posted:

I bought a few PSN codes from there, never had a problem. Wouldn't enter any card info, but PayPal worked fine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rinkles posted:

I generally go by "Is the site on IsThereAnyDeal.com" for trustworthiness

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cute Midnight Suns moment: When Captain America invites you to his regular support group for people who have been displaced from their native time period.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My favorite FROM hubs:

1. All of them

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Infinitum posted:

Magic the Gathering Roguelike sounds like a fun concept that'd probably work with the right dev
not exactly what you're after but you should definitely check out Shandalar. Open world birds eye view MTG game made by microprose, five wizards one for each color are trying to take control of the world. Go around slaughtering their minions(each with unique decks, health totals, cards that start on the field and sometimes in-game rules), go to towns to buy new cards, get quests to get loot/cards/health upgrades/etc, and find dungeons that have the most powerful cards in the game in them(the power nine, demonic tutor, mishra's workshop, etc). After you kill the five wizards you get to fight against a planeswalker.

One of my all-time favorites. It plays using old magic rules since it only has the first like four sets in it, but it's a shockingly well put together game. Just loving remake it wotc!!!!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

it seems like a no-brainer to just make an update of Shandalar, an RPG where your battles are MTG duels

but i guess we're talking about WOTC here

This please for the love of God lol

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
But how do you make people pay $1000 / month for cards if they just get them from towns and quiz events and beating monsters???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if anyone wants to try Shandalar, since it's a game from 1997 it doesn't run on current stuff without jumping through hoops, this video helped me install it on windows 10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ElS9C7qik&hd=1

StoryTime posted:

But how do you make people pay $1000 / month for cards if they just get them from towns and quiz events and beating monsters???
yes, this is exactly the reason they have never remade it