Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bird with big dick posted:

Made it to Baldur's Gate does anyone know a good place to set up my incense shop

This should've been a shortcut to romancing Shadowheart, especially if you kept her Sharran. Just amble up to her at camp one night and casually give her 30 pounds of incense so you can skip all the other crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

grack posted:

This should've been a shortcut to romancing Shadowheart, especially if you kept her Sharran. Just amble up to her at camp one night and casually give her 30 pounds of incense so you can skip all the other crap.

I choose to believe people have a problem with Shar and her worshipers less because they idolize loss and nighttime and more because of all the loving incense burning everywhere

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Well, I started a durge run a few weeks back, and it was surprising how different of an experience it was compared to the first run that I did shortly after release.

Looking back its fairly clear that my first run was a bug-ridden mess, and that I missed a shitload of triggers back then (Incidentally I abandoned that run because I was miffed that Karlach wouldnt do things with me :reject:).

Well, now its time to abandon the durge run because they announced the new evil endings, and because I was just not evil enough this time around (maybe Ill manage next time).

So I guess the plan is another good aligned playthrough, the problem is just that im always coming back to "bard" when I think about my class.

Paladin would be an idea, but playing an unironic goody-good shoes sounds ... well. Maybe vengance paladin, which sounds like you would be a murderous bastard who is only "good" because you murderize the right people.

I could play a nerd, but ugh, those early levels. Are there any interesting nerd multiclasses that play a bit less standoffish?

Sourcerer sounds powerful, but really one-dimensional.

Warlock sounds the same (ELDRICH BLAST). Do the different patrons have a influence on the game, or are they just flavour?

I guess the point of this rant is: recommend me a fun class (or multiclass) for a good aligned tactician run.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bard

1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard with helm of arcane acuity and mystic scoundrel ring is the objectively most fun class. sorry, I don't make the rules.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

cash crab posted:

what the gently caress is he gonna buy. retinol?

Maybe he wants to throw a party for his friends? Let Lich Grandpa keep his gold!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

discovered that you can use the broken z-axis in the fireworks factory to your advantage instead of getting aggro on the whole dozen guys and a contingent of flaming fist: turns out you can grab people through the floor and throw them, and its very funny.

also downloaded a mod that lets Us cast kitty illusions, which has dramatically improved my act 3 experience, but the mod increased his stats, so I changed it to just the kitty illusion part and thought i'd put it up in case anyone else wants kitty Us. https://file.io/7EbdiWHLVx8L (hope this works, i just googled "file upload")

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Trip report: Tempest Shadowheart is, indeed, working out better than Trickery did. She can actually kind of keep up on damage now and still has most of the good parts from her regular toolkit. Between that and the various sparkstruck bits I have, she is going to be the goddess of thunder within a level or two. :science: On this note, if there's anything I'd wish for in this game, it would be another party member slot or two. I always feel like I'm missing something gameplay or plot-related with just Zehra + 3 companions, or someone's going to get stuck too far behind on approval and I'll get boxed out of their personal questline. Is that an actual thing to worry about, assuming I'm trying to use all of my companions at least occasionally?

Anyways, liveblog whatever (yell at me if I'm being annoying posting stuff like this, I just really really like this game and its characters and have a severe F12 addiction): hello there...Harold?

I think the Zhentarim quest bugged out a bit because I couldn't get the password, but 16 CHA and persuasion, plus an inspiration reroll, was enough to save things anyways. The merchant's Titanstring Bow will probably come in handy too since my noble protagonist Zehra has, like, no points in Dexterity. Doing business with what I assume is the local Mafia-equivalent might not be particularly heroic good Paladin behavior, but at least I freed the one artist-slave guy so I think I'm safe.

also, oh hello there Ethel.

once you get into actual combat, she has more racist insults than a Hearts of Iron IV tournament, geez. smiting her was extra satisfying, between the racism, generally being a complete monster, and the goddamn traps everywhere.

I wish this game had a photo mode, or at least a more maneuverable camera, for the occasional landscape picture. a portrait mode or /gpose thing would be great too, because i am a terminal video game selfie addict

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 20, 2024

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nektu posted:

Well, I started a durge run a few weeks back, and it was surprising how different of an experience it was compared to the first run that I did shortly after release.

Looking back its fairly clear that my first run was a bug-ridden mess, and that I missed a shitload of triggers back then (Incidentally I abandoned that run because I was miffed that Karlach wouldnt do things with me :reject:).

Well, now its time to abandon the durge run because they announced the new evil endings, and because I was just not evil enough this time around (maybe Ill manage next time).

So I guess the plan is another good aligned playthrough, the problem is just that im always coming back to "bard" when I think about my class.

Paladin would be an idea, but playing an unironic goody-good shoes sounds ... well. Maybe vengance paladin, which sounds like you would be a murderous bastard who is only "good" because you murderize the right people.

I could play a nerd, but ugh, those early levels. Are there any interesting nerd multiclasses that play a bit less standoffish?

Sourcerer sounds powerful, but really one-dimensional.

Warlock sounds the same (ELDRICH BLAST). Do the different patrons have a influence on the game, or are they just flavour?

I guess the point of this rant is: recommend me a fun class (or multiclass) for a good aligned tactician run.

I consider full good Durge to be a pretty enjoyable playthrough, personally, lots of pathos from the resistance to one’s fundamental nature.

I’m doing open hand monk on my honour playthrough and it’s been great fun. If you pick up tavern brawler and stock up on elixirs of hill giant strength from Auntie Ethel to fuel the build it’s one of the “optimal” builds so depending on how you build the other characters it could make the game too easy.

You respec into thief/monk partway through, at which point you can pick up persuasion expertise so that you don’t keep having to spend inspirations on social rolls, but I got by OK before that point with guidance and the occasional eagle’s splendour from Shadowheart.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Medullah posted:

I've already reported him to the FBI, no way someone that would do this doesn't have a crawlspace filled with children's shoes

The Fried Boo Inspector? You wouldn't!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Trip report: Tempest Shadowheart is, indeed, working out better than Trickery did. She can actually kind of keep up on damage now and still has most of the good parts from her regular toolkit. Between that and the various sparkstruck bits I have, she is going to be the goddess of thunder within a level or two. :science: On this note, if there's anything I'd wish for in this game, it would be another party member slot or two. I always feel like I'm missing something gameplay or plot-related with just Zehra + 3 companions, or someone's going to get stuck too far behind on approval and I'll get boxed out of their personal questline. Is that an actual thing to worry about, assuming I'm trying to use all of my companions at least occasionally?

It’s not a thing to worry about, the main thing to watch out for is there’s a few quests where certain characters will be mad if you don’t include them (or resolve them in a way they hate), but they’re all fairly obvious and if you’re trying to use all your companions you’ll surely bring them to the right stuff. Like, you’ll have heard Lae’zel talk about the crèche a bunch, so obviously bring her along when you go to the crèche, that sort of thing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, the biggest concern on that note will be when you want to bring thematically appropriate characters to a quest that doesn't actually directly involve any of them, but also want to have a functional party composition. But in that case at least, there's no one who'll be upset at being left behind, so it's just a case of "who do I want to bring, the thematically appropriate characters, or the characters that will make this easier?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been seeing this weird thing where sometimes one or more party members don't get a turn during combat. For example my part of three surprised some enemies and only my PC got to act during the first two turns. We were all in the open, no obstructions, no status effects, the other two just didn't get a turn. Things got to be pretty dicey what with the enemies all dashing over to surround us, and then we all started taking a turn again. I've seen this several times right from the beginning of the game.

EDIT:

I'm in a big fight now and the first round everyone got a turn. The enemy is just about to close with us and in this round even though nothing's happened everyone gets a turn except Gale, the one character I'd planned to use at this point.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 20, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are the other party members still hiding which is why you surprised the enemies?

Because if they’re hiding they’ll skip their turn and stay hiding until either they are discovered or you take control of them and make them attack.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zodium posted:

been theorycrafting the most evil playthrough for next patch, and came up with this move:

Can I just say I love how unnecessarily huge the amount of food types there are in this game. The game could just give you nothing but supply packs and it would have been fine. But nope, the game lets me prepare a complete, healthy, balanced, customized meal every time I want to rest.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Are the other party members still hiding which is why you surprised the enemies?

Because if they’re hiding they’ll skip their turn and stay hiding until either they are discovered or you take control of them and make them attack.

OH! I bet that was it.

I made a halfling bard with a crossbow, and although that might have been a bad idea so far I'm enjoying it. This game is hard in the Xcom sense, where I've had to reload alot but the failures can be entertaining (even surprising) and my successes are a combination of changing my plans and serendipity. On one reload a sentry spots me and calls the gang and there's a wipe, but on the next they don't spot me and I manage to draw them to my group and kill them. That sort of thing.

And there's so many interactions in the environment! Things falling, blowing up, blocking. Lit corners, dark corners, buffed and unbuffed enemies, turns spent dealing with status effects that screw up my plan.

The enemy fondness for throwables has been challenging. Makes me wish for an alchemist character who could craft and load up on throwables to toss back at them, and at my party members.

The voice acting and character animations are pretty good. Must have been a shocking amount of work.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dick Trauma posted:

OH! I bet that was it.

I made a halfling bard with a crossbow, and although that might have been a bad idea so far I'm enjoying it. This game is hard in the Xcom sense, where I've had to reload alot but the failures can be entertaining (even surprising) and my successes are a combination of changing my plans and serendipity.
Once you hit level 5 your characters all get like extra attacks and access to third level spells(fireball, haste) and stuff and the Xcom difficulty fades away and you start to generally steam roll stuff.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

cash crab posted:

can i respec party members? i am really regretting making astarion into anything other than thief class.

also really floored by how emotional i got over his personal quest.
You can once you have Withers.

Astarion's character is my favorite. Partner and I just did the Cazador fight in our second playthrough. We didn't do that fight before, though I had on a solo run. Some F5s going on to get the outcome I wanted this time around. It's an intense progression in his story.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The best thing about repeccing characters is they get lines that are new class appropriate. Gale can scream as a wild barbarian; I made Karlach a rogue and when I hid she loudly whispered "YOU CAN'T SEE ME" hahaha

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Make everybody a bard so you can hear their vicious mockery lines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhA1NwgnFN8&t=2455s

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Dick Trauma posted:

OH! I bet that was it.

I made a halfling bard with a crossbow, and although that might have been a bad idea so far I'm enjoying it. This game is hard in the Xcom sense, where I've had to reload alot but the failures can be entertaining (even surprising) and my successes are a combination of changing my plans and serendipity. On one reload a sentry spots me and calls the gang and there's a wipe, but on the next they don't spot me and I manage to draw them to my group and kill them. That sort of thing.

You made one of the strongest characters. Dual wield hand crossbows, though. The optimal build is probably swords bard 6 / thief 4 / fighter 2. Take the sharpshooter feat at some point. You'll be able to attack 10 times a round with your crossbows. There are two items to keep an eye out for later on, helm of arcane acuity and band of the mystic scoundrel, that are perfect for this build too.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

EorayMel posted:

Make everybody a bard so you can hear their vicious mockery lines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhA1NwgnFN8&t=2455s
haha

I think in our next game I'm going to play Astarion as a bard. He's so classically funny.

My favorite played characters so far are a druid and bard.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

You made one of the strongest characters. Dual wield hand crossbows, though. The optimal build is probably swords bard 6 / thief 4 / fighter 2. Take the sharpshooter feat at some point. You'll be able to attack 10 times a round with your crossbows. There are two items to keep an eye out for later on, helm of arcane acuity and band of the mystic scoundrel, that are perfect for this build too.

I don't know much about multi classing so I might just go straight through as a bard and then see if I want to replay.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Medullah posted:

Gale can scream as a wild barbarian

...technically.

He really should stick to books.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BlazetheInferno posted:

...technically.

He really should stick to books.

I mean, you can combine both and he can scream at books in Ramazith's Tower

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

OH! I bet that was it.

And there's so many interactions in the environment! Things falling, blowing up, blocking. Lit corners, dark corners, buffed and unbuffed enemies, turns spent dealing with status effects that screw up my plan.

The enemy fondness for throwables has been challenging. Makes me wish for an alchemist character who could craft and load up on throwables to toss back at them, and at my party members.

The voice acting and character animations are pretty good. Must have been a shocking amount of work.

Despite hundreds of hours into this game I still sometimes gently caress up the surprise round. HA, my brilliant tactic worked, these rubes will never know what hit them! *forgets to take 2 characters out of stealth for 3 turns*

Also you mention a party of 3. Is that including your main character? There are 5 companions you can find within like 10 minutes of landing on the beach if you explore a bit. I ask this because I somehow missed most of them on my first run and it made the game a lot harder than it needed to be.

If you’ve entered the Grove without that number of buddies, go back and find them :)

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know much about multi classing so I might just go straight through as a bard and then see if I want to replay.

It's not difficult you just pick the other class you want to add at level up. Thief 3 gives you an extra bonus action, 4 gives you another feat. Fighter 2 gives you action surge. Even if you go mostly caster bard you probably at least want one level of wizard to learn spells from scrolls. Those will use int as their casting stat though so learn stuff like magic missile, shield and haste that don't use that from scrolls.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

dual crossbows is very good for act 1, but 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard with titanstring bow is the strongest build in the game once you get to act 2, and it's not close. the reason is that at level 10 sword bard you get magical secrets, and thus command and counterspell. take sharpshooter at level 4 and be sure to stock up on oils of accuracy and you'll lock down entire encounters while putting out 100+ dpr with ranged flourishes.

edit: you should level bard to 8 at first before respeccing into the multiclass.

Dick Trauma posted:

this is what i did for my first playthrough and what i would recommend doing.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 20, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

For the new players it’s worth noting that Zodium is a maniac doing a solo hard mode run. I love reading their progress updates but it is not remotely necessary to optimize to that level in a normal play through if you don’t feel like it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Anyways, liveblog whatever (yell at me if I'm being annoying posting stuff like this, I just really really like this game and its characters and have a severe F12 addiction):

I like it :) I’m just a little ahead of you on my first playthrough and it’s fun to see other first impressions.

Usually I’m a patient cheapskate and can wait until I can get a game for like 70% off but now I wish I had bought this day one. I probably would have waited for it to get cheap but some coworkers were playing and their rave reviews broke down my wallet’s defenses

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

For the new players it’s worth noting that Zodium is a maniac doing a solo hard mode run. I love reading their progress updates but it is not remotely necessary to optimize to that level in a normal play through if you don’t feel like it.

:tipshat:

sadly haven't really had any more close fights now my build is fully online and I'm killing Raphael without breaking my 10hp volatile shield, but maybe Cazador will put up a fight.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zodium posted:

:tipshat:

sadly haven't really had any more close fights now my build is fully online and I'm killing Raphael without breaking my 10hp volatile shield, but maybe Cazador will put up a fight.

Just be careful and don't get too confident. Lives (all mortal lives) expire, you know.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Thanks to Baldur's Gate 3, I'm unable to enjoy boss fights anymore where the boss isn't singing the lyrics, and stops when you silence or kill them.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Just be careful and don't get too confident. Lives (all mortal lives) expire, you know.

i don't know. it would be funny if I did and died this close to the end.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Go for the climax ending

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If I ever make it to the end of HM I am definitely doing the suicide bomber finale. Not an option for solo play I guess though!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Does the game have items that need to be identified? If so are they marked in some way so that you know they're not ordinary junk to sell?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dick Trauma posted:

Does the game have items that need to be identified? If so are they marked in some way so that you know they're not ordinary junk to sell?

Nah

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Docjowles posted:

If I ever make it to the end of HM I am definitely doing the suicide bomber finale. Not an option for solo play I guess though!
Play as Gale; duh

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There are a few seemingly useless items that you can combine into weapons if you find all the pieces. But it’s a “oh that’s neat” thing not a “welp I hosed up time to start over” thing. Also vendors will keep anything you’ve sold to them forever if you have a change of heart.

Must be rough as a merchant on the sword coast with literally one single customer in the entire world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Medullah posted:

The best thing about repeccing characters is they get lines that are new class appropriate. Gale can scream as a wild barbarian; I made Karlach a rogue and when I hid she loudly whispered "YOU CAN'T SEE ME" hahaha

my absolute favourite karlach moment is she'll scream "WATCH THIS" and then roll a critical miss