Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Legitimately I think the only change the railgun needs is getting rid of safe/unsafe mode. I firmly believe that people are more down on it than it deserves because of people dropping in with one, trying it out for a bit, and then going "well this sucks" and dropping it. I can't think of any other gun where the default firing mode is so bad. I think with that small change the gun becomes fine. Definitely not OP but perfectly usable like the flamethrower or LMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hey mom its 420 posted:

i'm still waiting for the ability to unbind inputs on ps5 lol. as it is I have left d pad set to push to talk, so I try to be quiet while I'm inputting strategems

It was added. Originally you had to revert the whole scheme to default and start over but you can delete inputs now.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Return Railgun to prev stats, cut ammo to 10 shots.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

make railgun a sword

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Legitimately I think the only change the railgun needs is getting rid of safe/unsafe mode. I firmly believe that people are more down on it than it deserves because of people dropping in with one, trying it out for a bit, and then going "well this sucks" and dropping it. I can't think of any other gun where the default firing mode is so bad. I think with that small change the gun becomes fine. Definitely not OP but perfectly usable like the flamethrower or LMG

But those are the only firing modes it has!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

unsafe / unsafer

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

just make it work like the railgun in quake 3 arena

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
make it so if you overcharge it it fires a huge dbz laser and wipes out everything in the general direction you're looking at

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

overcharge = total ammo loss

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I would love to have a weapon with linear penetration through enemies.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Dominator and even Diligence can pierce through a couple of bot troopers.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hwurmp posted:

make railgun a sword

major Ichimaru Gin vibes here

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
After the additions to the game that have come since the nerfs took place, I think they should just revert the railgun and slugger to their original forms. The impact to balance would be negligible.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

:supaburn:

Everything's so on fire that the Automatons are taking their time to dunk on random isolated sectors, because they don't even need to bother aiming the full force of the Reclamation Fleet directly towards Super Earth.

(Although I saw a suggestion that this might be them taking the long way back to the Creek based on the implementation of additional supply lines.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 20, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the unfortunate black mirror of 'stupid pubbies getting stuck in' is 'just running away from the fight and leaving your battle buddies to die, instead of cleaning it up fast so we can all move on'.

If you're death spiraling on a gunship fab when there are other easier POIs on a blitz I'm going to question your judgement.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Black Noise posted:

Why isn’t this info available in game? This is more rhetorical. But they also have that thing like Discord info from regarding the taking of Martale.

If you pull up the supply line display on Helldivers.io, it is very obviously still a work in progress and they probably don't want to pull back the curtain too much until they're ready to commit to more dynamically evolving warfronts. Note that its also impossible for us to fail since there's no supply connections anywhere back to Super Earth.

The current setup is smoke and mirrors with a scripted narrative managed by the devs, which is why we currently have an impossible order to defend 10 planets so we don't advance too quickly; we can only really go where they want us to go right now and supply line connections are usually* irrelevant for that.

*(Usually - there was the whole Tibit debacle a while back, but "LIBERATE MALEVELON CREEK!" smoothed that over pretty quick).

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
We have shown that we can overwhelm what they think are long goals fairly quickly. They pretty much have to give us impossible missions, or missions that end up being red herrings, in order to control our progress and reveal the storyline they have planned.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

It's not fair when we can pick the difficulty and the bots cant

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Sindai posted:

I think since the buff fire breaker is better than S&P even if you have the DoT bug, so there's no reason to use it unfortunately. Needs another pass.
imo S&P kills the small bugs better since you don't need them to burn and die which seems variable. might be part of the bug but until that gets fixed S&P feels like it kills them faster. however the incendiary one at least burns up medium armored bugs.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Sickle is hands down the most versatile weapon right now, until its nerfed so

Use the sickle to trash sweep

it's not good enough against medium bugs imo. even ones that don't have thick armor. just too many rounds to take them down. it is good in that it fires a ton of rounds and you don't have to deal with explosive/incendiary effects if you shoot bugs up close. but it has a spin up and you have to dump a lot of shots to kill any bugs above hunters (whatever the ones that jump and swipe at you are called). and sickle and the quasar don't work well together since it's harder to deal with medium bugs. i ended up having to rely on strategems and grenades when i tried sickle/quasar/incendiary grenades/redeemer/eats/AC sentry.. which is fine just felt not like my play style since i kept waiting for strategems to cooldown or had to mind my grenades.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah Chargers are the main sticking point against doing a build that doesn't include a heavy anti-armor support weapon* when doing Bugs, with Bots it's less of an issue since their heavies are pretty much all either slow enough to use an Eagle or Orbital to handle or have weakspots that a medium penetration weapon can handle

Basically Chargers are a lot easier to deal with than they used to be but they're still honestly kind of a badly designed enemy when it comes to encouraging build variety for players, they would probably need to like make the butt a lot more squishy or something to fix that but that brings its own problems

*well or the Flamethrower

yeah i feel like at 7-8s everyone has to carry anti-heavy weapon along with a strategem and generally the anti-heavy weapon is Quasar

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Hearing the female Helldiver's delivery of "Sweet liberty, MUHH LEEEEGG" makes me laugh every time. It has the perfect amount of B-movie cheese and it's the best line in the game because of it (imo).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hakarne posted:

Hearing the female Helldiver's delivery of "Sweet liberty, MUHH LEEEEGG" makes me laugh every time. It has the perfect amount of B-movie cheese and it's the best line in the game because of it (imo).

The female VAs really killed it, most of the male lines are pretty dull in comparison.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The female VAs really killed it, most of the male lines are pretty dull in comparison.

I GOT A SAM-PULL

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

suuma posted:

I GOT A SAM-PULL

i love this one, all the enthusiasm of finding a piece of chewed gum on the sidewalk

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Railgun unsafe mode should simply charge faster. Higher shot powerup speed but tighter window playing chicken with the death zone if you are charging for max damage. It's a single shot weapon so it's not gonna break its DPS or anything.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Bottom Liner posted:

I will never get sick of any of the YOU WILL NEVER DESTROY OUR WAY OF LIFE variants

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I NEED STIIIIIIIIIIMS!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
<maniacal laughter as you mow down the enemy>

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Nybble posted:

<maniacal laughter as you mow down the enemy>

Triggering this voiceline when you're in the middle of 50 bugs with a flamethrower going is one of the peak gaming moments of all time. Wish I could go back and show my 10 year old self how loving rad games would get.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Fangz posted:

Also if I am going off on my own to stealth an objective, heavy enemies are usually less of a threat than light enemies that can keep up with me.

If you are planning on doing that you really want a laser dog. It really, really cleans up things chasing you.

Bottom Liner posted:

Triggering this voiceline when you're in the middle of 50 bugs with a flamethrower going is one of the peak gaming moments of all time. Wish I could go back and show my 10 year old self how loving rad games would get.

Get some! GEEEEEEET SOOOOOMMMMMMMME!

Kills me every time.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Apple Craft posted:

We have shown that we can overwhelm what they think are long goals fairly quickly. They pretty much have to give us impossible missions, or missions that end up being red herrings, in order to control our progress and reveal the storyline they have planned.

It's a lot easier for us when we can fuckin roll up and murderball a single target. When we get spread out over more than 5 planetary targets things get dicier, even on weekends.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
So ifn you’re an old fart who hasn’t hosed with discord before and just picked up a ps5 to play this is there a “here’s how to link that poo poo up so you can play w goons” guide? Haven’t played a shooter coop since ME3 and I’m rusty af but it’s coming back fairly quick

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Liberty fills MY sample container :smaug:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Soylent Majority posted:

So ifn you’re an old fart who hasn’t hosed with discord before and just picked up a ps5 to play this is there a “here’s how to link that poo poo up so you can play w goons” guide? Haven’t played a shooter coop since ME3 and I’m rusty af but it’s coming back fairly quick

You can go into your PS5 settings and link your discord account to your PSN. Then, go into your Discord app and join a voice channel. You should get the option to transfer the audio to your PS5 headset.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Let me tape down the trigger on unsafe railguns and throw it like a grenade.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soylent Majority posted:

Do you have Discord? If so, you can link it to your PS5 through Settings > Users and Accounts > Linked Services. Then in the Discord server, if you click on any of the voice chat channels there is then an option (I have to swipe up the menu on my phone) to transfer to your PS5 so you can be in the voice chat but use whatever your audio/mic setup is for the console.

Actually playing the game requires linking up with them in the game's Social menu. Either you already have them as friends or you can share each other's temporary friend codes generated from the same menu and add each other and invite each other into a game, depending on who the host is. (The codes are temporary I mean, the friends are for life :gbsmith: )

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

it's not good enough against medium bugs imo. even ones that don't have thick armor. just too many rounds to take them down. it is good in that it fires a ton of rounds and you don't have to deal with explosive/incendiary effects if you shoot bugs up close. but it has a spin up and you have to dump a lot of shots to kill any bugs above hunters (whatever the ones that jump and swipe at you are called). and sickle and the quasar don't work well together since it's harder to deal with medium bugs.

Sickle and autocannon are an extremely good combo. Sickle mops up all the small bugs with its rapid fire and infinite ammo, autocannon pops medium ones with 2 or 3 shots.

My usual bug loadout is:

Sickle
Auto pistol (emergency GTFO weapon)
Incendiary grenades (great for bug breaches)
Autocannon
EAT
Gatling sentry (anti shrieker and creating breathing room)
Eagle cluster (softening up big swarms)

With that setup you can handle basically any situation yourself except for large hordes of chargers and bile titans. In those cases while waiting for the EATs to recharge you have to dodge the chargers and autocannon them in the butt, and shoot out the titan acid sacs and kite them around for a while.

Or just be good at your role of cleaning up light and medium bugs and closing holes, and leave the heavies to the people who brought quasars and 500s and rail cannons.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I think my favorite is the incredibly frantic REINFORCING!!!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I set my voice language to French and it's been a lot of fun. 'Ell dai verrru.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Eagle Airstrike with stun grenades is S tier for bots. Can easily wipe a patrol of a Hulk and a bunch of devs/beserkers. Plus, Eagle Airstrike can oneshot a Factory Strider. Orbital Precision strike owns too. Having it with Eagle Airstrike allows you to singlehandedly decimate a double bot drop right as they are dropped and are still clustered.

Someone was asking about battle passes and I think cutting edge for sickle & stun grenade vs bots and steeled veterans for incendiary breaker vs bugs are the two to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You absolutely don't need much anti-heavy against bugs. On 8s and 9s a few orbitals/airstrikes throughout the squad and a single quasar is enough to end all titans unless you get the rare "hella titans" spawn pool that sends 3 out of every breach. Chargers are just kind of a joke, they're the least threatening enemies in the game unless you don't see them coming - all you need to do to avoid them is sprint towards them and move to the left/right when you get close and they charge right past you like an angry bull. It's also a whole lot easier to kill chargers by shooting their butt than most people realize, most guns can pop it after avoiding two charges.

My preferred loadout for bugs these days is breaker incendiary, supply pack, no support weapon, orbital laser + rail cannon and 500kg. It has answers to threats of every size. The only downside is it can't snipe nests. You can swap one of the orbitals for quasar if you really want but it's just not at all necessary for bugs.