Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If it's real what's stopping me from going "gently caress ur patents I'm flying to Antarctica in my diy ufo" or whatever? Other than everyone has ufos now and we're just gonna implode the hollow earth for the preservation of money or some stupid poo poo

assuming (bigly) that it’s accurate it may be something that doesn’t scale sufficiently for use within atmosphere to counter loads anyone would care about (versus use in space where you don’t necessarily have to fight as much once a chemical rocket launches your payload

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

isaboo posted:

Yesterday's episode of The Why Files was good. It was all about garage-made alternate energy and anti-gravity devices and how most of the inventors have gotten killed after filing patents. There's even a bit of Shadow Government shenanigans.

If I stop posting you'll know my star wars rear end speeder bike made from duct tape and tin foil crashed or I got black bagged for crimes against mammon

mediaphage posted:

assuming (bigly) that it’s accurate it may be something that doesn’t scale sufficiently for use within atmosphere to counter loads anyone would care about (versus use in space where you don’t necessarily have to fight as much once a chemical rocket launches your payload

Yeah but these claims are absolutely bonkers and 1g is seeming like A LOT. What could it actually be?

If it has the ability to float random stuff around a chamber, it could be used for all sorts of insane processes totally unrelated to navigation or propulsion of probes or objects, you could flow materials in precise ways and all that poo poo, manipulate fuels and reactions without needing conventional valves or pipes. Right?

You don't need loading cranes or forklifts or nearly any logistics equipment. Idk gotta go back and actually watch the whole thing

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

it's weird. he's claiming in such a nonchalant way that for years they've been building these electrostatic contraptions that produce thrust

oh and they named them stuff like brak and space ghost which makes me want to believe him more

isaboo posted:

Yesterday's episode of The Why Files was good. It was all about garage-made alternate energy and anti-gravity devices and how most of the inventors have gotten killed after filing patents. There's even a bit of Shadow Government shenanigans.

i kept waiting for when he'd bring up mark mccandlish but he never did. pretty surprising given how interesting (not necessarily plausible) his story was. also that he died from an apparent suicide a year or two ago

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hooplah posted:

oh and they named them stuff like brak and space ghost which makes me want to believe him more

hahaha really? gently caress, I'm all in, forget what I said earlier

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hooplah posted:

it's weird. he's claiming in such a nonchalant way that for years they've been building these electrostatic contraptions that produce thrust

i kept waiting for when he'd bring up mark mccandlish but he never did. pretty surprising given how interesting (not necessarily plausible) his story was. also that he died from an apparent suicide a year or two ago

why files are spooks burying the actual story, so you can rest assured that mark mccandlish is a thing

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

has electrostatic guy submitted any papers for peer review to major journals like such a groundbreaking discovery warrants

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

isaboo posted:

This post led me to this podcast and it seems neat. It isn't showing an episode for me for the 19th though, and the previous ones don't mention that stuff in the summary, was it the episode posted on the 18th or a previous one?

my bony fealty posted:

has electrostatic guy submitted any papers for peer review to major journals like such a groundbreaking discovery warrants

And let ~T H E M~ get ahold of it??? I don't think so

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

This post led me to this podcast and it seems neat. It isn't showing an episode for me for the 19th though, and the previous ones don't mention that stuff in the summary, was it the episode posted on the 18th or a previous one?

And let THEM get ahold of it??? I don't think so
posted 16 hours ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZRwlYtAMps

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

It's almost certainly experimental error

If not, it should be easy to hook it up to a lipo on a little pinewood derby car or styrofoam plane and make it go. Apparently he isn't open to outside labs doing replication? Big red flag there

is that true? in the article he suggests that these things should be easy for the scientific community to build and probe

i mean i’m still not super convinced they’ve found something but

If I stop posting you'll know my star wars rear end speeder bike made from duct tape and tin foil crashed or I got black bagged for crimes against mammon

Yeah but these claims are absolutely bonkers and 1g is seeming like A LOT. What could it actually be?

If it has the ability to float random stuff around a chamber, it could be used for all sorts of insane processes totally unrelated to navigation or propulsion of probes or objects, you could flow materials in precise ways and all that poo poo, manipulate fuels and reactions without needing conventional valves or pipes. Right?

You don't need loading cranes or forklifts or nearly any logistics equipment. Idk gotta go back and actually watch the whole thing

referring to it as gravities actually made me think way less of it all to be honest. just state how much thrust you’re producing

like there are effects that will lift a 40g mass and overcome 1G sure. i’ll be convinced when they lift something that weighs like 50 pounds with this, unless they get confirmation via other labs

my bony fealty posted:

lmao he says that’s for physicists to figure out

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The guy is like "oh the slide doesn't have my equations on there what a troublesome oversight"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Thank you!

e what on the planet

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Apr 20, 2024

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

In all seriousness, there's got to be a way to produce energy without just burning fossil krill and trees. The idea of pulling energy out of the vacuum and etc is seductive, but I don't think it's as easy as nuclear fission or fusion, and we're really passing up a golden opportunity by not leaning on those more heavily

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

In all seriousness, there's got to be a way to produce energy without just burning fossil krill and trees. The idea of pulling energy out of the vacuum and etc is seductive, but I don't think it's as easy as nuclear fission or fusion, and we're really passing up a golden opportunity by not leaning on those more heavily

hello its called THE SUN!!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

It's almost certainly experimental error

If not, it should be easy to hook it up to a lipo on a little pinewood derby car or styrofoam plane and make it go. Apparently he isn't open to outside labs doing replication? Big red flag there

I posted about this earlier but I don't really see how their could be experimental error where they are mistaking thrust for another effect. With the EM drive it made sense because the thrust was so miniscule but this is several orders of magnitude greater. I'm certainly not an expert so somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I don't see how that amount of thrust would actually be coming from some other effect. Also from what I saw he encouraged outside replication?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He also seems like a legit successful scientist outside of this work so it'd be weird for him to decide to pull a scam that can be immediately disproven for no reason

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Inspector Hound posted:

There are a lot of good episodes to choose from depending on what flavor of nuttiness you prefer. One of my favorites is this one. I want to build one so bad. Goon project, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9hwXoCrEUs

isaboo has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Apr 20, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I want to build an orgone box

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WXsOx_fScgs

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He also seems like a legit successful scientist outside of this work so it'd be weird for him to decide to pull a scam that can be immediately disproven for no reason

He started the electrostatics lab at NASA. If there was some kind of previously unknown effect in electrostatics that could produce this type of thrust then he is the person that is likely to discover it. I know there have been rumblings going back decades that something like this could be possible but they've always been dismissed as fringe.

I hope it is real because besides having a great application for spacecraft, the really big thing would be it could potentially open up all sorts of interesting avenues in physics as he mentions in one of the slides. I'd have to assume if it turns out to be real it would be Nobel worthy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a big issue is that it’s often hard to tell scam from someone who is just expecting to make bank

ideally now that they have some orients or whatever we’ll see a lot more testing and someone with an actual lab can make a comment on it rather than just us knuckleheads

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

he seems to be implying that this effect may draw on dark energy which would be, uh, a little wild to say the least

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jazerus posted:

he seems to be implying that this effect may draw on dark energy which would be, uh, a little wild to say the least

My understanding was that the effect and the physics it opens up he claims could be a possible explanation for dark energy not that it is drawing dark energy as its power source. The device requires dumping electricity into it from my understanding.

We'll know it's real when he gets hit by a bus or falls out a window.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Unfortunately he was a secret depressive alcoholic and decided to tragically 360° no scope himself with anti materiel weapons while binging pills in the trunk of a car case dismissed

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shag Harbor sure is an interesting case eh

I can't find any attempts at explaining wtf it was

debunkers in ruins

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

D-Pad posted:

My understanding was that the effect and the physics it opens up he claims could be a possible explanation for dark energy not that it is drawing dark energy as its power source. The device requires dumping electricity into it from my understanding.

We'll know it's real when he gets hit by a bus or falls out a window.

quote:

Another unusual result from their tests was that sometimes the tested devices did not require a constant input of electrical charge to maintain their thrust. Given that the device already appears to violate the known laws of physics by creating thrust without propellant, this result even stumped Dr. Buhler and his team.

“We can see some of these things sit on a scale for days, and if they still have charge in them, they are still producing thrust,” he told Ventura. “It’s very hard to reconcile, from a scientific point of view because it does seem to violate a lot of energy laws that we have.”

the way i read this is that the electrical charge creates the environment for the force to occur but the thrust derives energy from elsewhere. the obvious explanation isn't to ditch conservation of energy but to presume the energy is coming from a hitherto-unknown source, i.e. an energy that is dark to known physics

Grendel
Jul 21, 2001

Heh, heh, heh...bueno
Personally, I've completely soured on the Why Files. His videos are entertaining, but between his use of AI art and vaccine/COVID denialism, I've stopped watching entirely.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

exponential growth on a log plot!? disco stu would approve

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Grendel posted:

Personally, I've completely soured on the Why Files. His videos are entertaining, but between his use of AI art and vaccine/COVID denialism, I've stopped watching entirely.

dude's a chud for sure

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait that graph actually sucks poo poo lol why would you rank by time other than to try and focus attention on your incredible progress

Why would you rank these in this way at all -- is this in any way normal practice in actual science fields? Wouldn't you try and do some kind of visualization that shows various geometry types vs efficiency, and then label the points with the date of test?

Or what's the rigorous way of describing what I'm thinking of? Something like how in paleontology there will be charts that can show say the kind of molars such and such animals had. Then you can do things like group them or make predictions about what a tooth half way between would look like, or the behavior of an animal with this missing example tooth.

So you could do your x & y as input power & newtons, or whatever is what is best applicable. Then color your data points based on "species" -- engine geometry & qualities. Then label it by test date. Do a separate line chart or some poo poo if you need to focus on how your effective progress is. Yeah?

If you want to push this thing past a certain region in the chart you need to map it, you're literally mapping the effect space? Is this not the right take on this or what?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Wait that graph actually sucks poo poo lol why would you rank by time other than to try and focus attention on your incredible progress

Why would you rank these in this way at all -- is this in any way normal practice in actual science fields? Wouldn't you try and do some kind of visualization that shows various geometry types vs efficiency, and then label the points with the date of test?

Or what's the rigorous way of describing what I'm thinking of? Something like how in paleontology there will be charts that can show say the kind of molars such and such animals had. Then you can do things like group them or make predictions about what a tooth half way between would look like, or the behavior of an animal with this missing example tooth.

So you could do your x & y as input power & newtons, or whatever is what is best applicable. Then color your data points based on "species" -- engine geometry & qualities. Then label it by test date. Do a separate line chart or some poo poo if you need to focus on how your effective progress is. Yeah?

If you want to push this thing past a certain region in the chart you need to map it, you're literally mapping the effect space? Is this not the right take on this or what?

I think the point of that graph is exactly to show their progress. He was showing that they were getting small effects and then they had a breakthrough and "you can see by this chart things took off exponentially".

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i think you are looking for reasons not to like this presentation, which im pretty sure you didn't watch :iiam:

that is the last chart shown before q&a, designed to summarize their incredible progress. within the presentation they did a high level overview of different generations of configurations and high level results along the way - thats where you see your micronewton results, etc. this pic is a nice high level summary of the engineering process (vs scientific process) as they iteratively hill climb on performance (which they define as "being able to pick itself up", more or less)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I don't know what this is, but I know it's not a dog

that's zorak

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

D-Pad posted:

I posted about this earlier but I don't really see how their could be experimental error where they are mistaking thrust for another effect. With the EM drive it made sense because the thrust was so miniscule but this is several orders of magnitude greater. I'm certainly not an expert so somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I don't see how that amount of thrust would actually be coming from some other effect. Also from what I saw he encouraged outside replication?

i'm trying to watch his presentation, i don't have high hopes for it though. experimental error even in seemingly simple setups can be incredibly subtle. at least the guy has a phd in condensed matter so it does seem like he has plenty of lab experience but who knows.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

periodic update to the nuforc spreadsheet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfTVRhGlxW4

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

dot's been solid pink for a while now
who's feeling the vibe

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

who's feeling the vibe

:yeah:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

who's feeling the vibe

worrying about what the dot knows that we don't (yet)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

spoke to the anima of the gpc dot last night in a regular dream, and it turns out the dot is a liar and an rear end in a top hat. sorry everyone, he's reptilian and fascist, not pnti and enlightened

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

birds, chanting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

:hmmyes:

I wish I was, but I'm not feeling the vibe, and have in fact taken almost every drug in my toolkit to feel the vibe, and it ain't workin

So I'm goin to bed