Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Discussing spoilers got really boring after the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That is bullshit. Shock and surprise are cheap heat. Character is what pulls me in and how the end is reached, not a sudden change.

"The literal entire concept of a mystery is bullshit" is certainly a take.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
A story with literally zero twists or updates to the initially established truth is not new either, it's just kinda rare in high stakes action stuff like most video games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mycot posted:

A story with literally zero twists or updates to the initially established truth is not new either, it's just kinda rare in high stakes action stuff like most video games.

Well, it was a tough slog but the game is finally over. Now I can finally rela--- what?! The princess is another castle? You're telling me I gotta do this for two castles?!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That is bullshit. Shock and surprise are cheap heat. Character is what pulls me in and how the end is reached, not a sudden change.

There's a world of difference between "the author pulled some bullshit out of their rear end" and "the author carefully controlled what information you had access to in order to maximize the impact of an entirely justified reveal".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
We're done with this derail, talk about games plz

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Edit: Didn't see the mod post, sorry.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: nvm

jokes has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Apr 15, 2024

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
did i take a wrong turn and wind up in the PYF Spicy Video Game Takes thread??

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’m sick to death of manic pixie dream girls in games, or at least I thought I was, but Kenzie in Immortals of Aveum is a welcome break from how straight-laced most of the cast usually is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sally posted:

did i take a wrong turn and wind up in the PYF Spicy Video Game Takes thread??

You didn't-- I did!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
There are spoilers in Outer Wilds. If I had known it was a time-loop, I wouldn't have played it. I don't like that kind of stuff. I appreciated Deathloop being upfront with it so I wouldn't buy it and then end up returning it immediately.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Indigo Prophecy is a good game up until a specific moment where it just shits the bed completely and never recovers; The Super Saiyan Rooftop Fight.

no, that bit's incredible. fahrenheit is all about leaning into the crazy.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It helped that I thought Outer Wilds was Outer Worlds and they are NOT the same game.

Both good though. Talking to the guy in the mascot costume was fun.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Many stupid people made that mistake. I did, too

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fahrenheit owned except for the weirdly difficult flashback forced stealth segments

I remember the first one (?) keeps giving you a game over if you get caught but if you finally beat it but don’t do it fast enough or right or something all your childhood friends burn to death, maybe? so it was really frustrating that you’d game over if you got caught sneaking to the deathtrap you’re not supposed to play in anyway

later when the game goes off the rails more and your character turns into a Matrix hobo-zombie or whatever there’s another stealth sequence that always made me quit the game, I’ve never seen the end lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

fahrenheit owned except for the weirdly difficult flashback forced stealth segments

I remember the first one (?) keeps giving you a game over if you get caught but if you finally beat it but don’t do it fast enough or right or something all your childhood friends burn to death, maybe? so it was really frustrating that you’d game over if you got caught sneaking to the deathtrap you’re not supposed to play in anyway

later when the game goes off the rails more and your character turns into a Matrix hobo-zombie or whatever there’s another stealth sequence that always made me quit the game, I’ve never seen the end lol

That's fine, neither have the developers and the people who finished the game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

That's fine, neither have the developers and the people who finished the game.

You're missing out on the bit where someone fucks a corpse.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Isn’t the main enemy of the game like the personification of the internet or something of that.

Playing that game as a young child was a loving ride.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
As John Yahtzee Croshaw once said, it's never too late to talk to your developers about Indigo loving Prophecy Syndrome

(Indigo Prophecy being what Fahrenheit was called in NA)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
indigo prophecy made me realize i enjoyed the wave david cage games played but the problem is they generally also come with david cage writing and, well, that belongs in the other thread, not this one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Detroit is legitimately a great game in my opinion. Interesting world that prods you into being uncomfortable about our own technological future like good science fiction does. And I don't just mean the android prejudice thing. There are books, televisions and radios that all portray a dismal world that is culminating in world science speculating leaving Earth. It's subtle as an absolute brick through your window so you can talk about it with your dad. It's got Mr Krabs and 1/3 your goal is to befriend him.

I really liked that because your players are androids, one of them can die in nearly every scene he's in and your graves just mount up as do the others' reactions to your reappearance. You did come from a factory after all, the company can just send another one. Surely the human people you work with won't mind.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Apr 16, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I really only liked the Connor and Hank adventures in Detroit

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I liked Heavy Rain until the killer reveal. They should really have written some other options in there because the way I was playing it was wildly out of character

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Heavy Rain is entertaining on a scene by basis but overall it’s got some problems. You have to remember though that David Cage is French so it’s to be expected

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More like oldpainless (with the "pain" pronounced the French way)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There are spoilers in Outer Wilds. If I had known it was a time-loop, I wouldn't have played it. I don't like that kind of stuff. I appreciated Deathloop being upfront with it so I wouldn't buy it and then end up returning it immediately.

I also usually hate timeloop games, but I loved Outer Wilds and Deathloop. My biggest beef with timeloops (and roguelikes and any game that expects you to play NG+) is that I don't like it when a game makes you do the same thing over and over again. At a certain point, it all just feels like padding. Since OW and Deathloop are actually puzzle games, you generally aren't forced to repeat very much at all.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Deathloop also figured out how to make the little dinguses that give you small bonuses work (like the bone charms in Dishonored): you can grind for them until you get a set that work for you since one of the Visionaries drop a bunch of them.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm easily amused so having a dedicated button in Escape From Tarkov that has a chance of saying Cheeki Breeki really appeals.

Beyond that, the whole "mumble" system is cool. Yeah sometimes it doesn't work out but making brief buds is a nice idea

NonzeroCircle has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Apr 17, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The beat Scav Mumble is the one that goes on for like thirty seconds longer than is comfortable.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I simply cannot fellate Titanfall 2 enough for how amazingly good the movement feels.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's not how youre supposed to use a controller

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

flatluigi posted:

that's not how youre supposed to use a controller

Only if you are brave enough.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Breetai posted:

I simply cannot fellate Titanfall 2 enough for how amazingly good the movement feels.

It's great. As much as I love the Jedi games, they felt like a bit of a backwards step in terms of doing a lot of similar movement for some reason. Maybe it was in the translation to a third-person character.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's great. As much as I love the Jedi games, they felt like a bit of a backwards step in terms of doing a lot of similar movement for some reason. Maybe it was in the translation to a third-person character.

Likely because they had to introduce restrictions on exactly how flexible and freeform the movement system was in order to reduce the capacity for sequence breaking and completely trivialising puzzles.

Titanfall's system wholeheartedly embraces the player doing what they want to do, and is incredibly forgiving to the point where platforming sequences aren't about skill checks forcing the player down a single path with strict sequencing and timing, but rather just letting the player feel empowered by Doing Rad poo poo.

Not that platforming sequences with incredibly tight timing can't be fun to overcome, but there's something about just effortlessly styling upon traversal that would be impossible in almost any fps that elevates the game in a way that a challenge focussed style of platforming wouldn't quite capture.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Opopanax posted:

I liked Heavy Rain until the killer reveal. They should really have written some other options in there because the way I was playing it was wildly out of character

Heavy Rain has a lot of cool moments but it is ultimately ruined by having the killer be one of the playable characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get the idea of what they were going for and I think it could have worked if the writing was better, but it wasn't. So what should feel like a clever/'oh poo poo' reveal just feels like the game was misleading or actively lying to you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Especially the scene that gets a flashback which reveals in the couple of minutes the character was off screen they did a bunch of killer poo poo.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You hear their inner monologue which directly contradicts them being the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that Arc: Twilight of the Spirits introduces the second continent with an area that's unique among all the areas you've visited in the prior continent, because unlike all the prior areas that were all a single screen, the forest you land in in the second continent is much larger being multiple screens and kind of hard to navigate. It's a cool way of getting across the whole "Untamed Wilderness" vibe.