Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Prior to this: I'm very worried about Kabru. He's going to kill Laios.

After this: I'm very worried about Kabru. He's going to kiss Laios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My real concern about Kabru is that he's Griffith, based solely on him being pretty

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Because I've read ahead I can say that Kabr-

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Aoi posted:

The anime viewer reaction to Kabru is almost identical to what the manga reader reaction to Kabru was at this point in the story. The mark of a fantastically defined character, and I'm loving it.

The almost here being the fact that the voice acting means less people going "oh I thought he was a girl."

This happened more often than you'd think during the fan translation era.

They argued for weeks about that stupid elf with the book that took Falin.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Shoehead mentioned Griffith, but I know of at least one person who thought a picture of Kabru was Casca

Also, yeah, even the official manga translation guessed wrong on a few characters' genders.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 20, 2024

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Also I'm currently doing a quick reread of the manga because I wanted to see roughly how much extra stuff was inevitably left out.

Man you could get like a half an extra season of shorts after the main story is done with the little bonus monster tidbit mini comics that are at the end of every chapter and stuff.

edit: ehhh probably like three episodes actually. The little comics seem to stop pretty soon a little past where we are and then its mostly daydream hours which wouldnt work as animation and the adventure bible.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 20, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
:justpost:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's literally a single panel gag but I can't believe the kelpie episode months ago skipped this.

Falin with a flail is really funny. I actually checked that section of this thread to see if anyone else posted this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Whitenoise Poster posted:

To be fair, that elf does have a beehive hairdo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aoi posted:

The anime viewer reaction to Kabru is almost identical to what the manga reader reaction to Kabru was at this point in the story. The mark of a fantastically defined character, and I'm loving it.

I think this Ryoko Kui person may be kind of a good writer.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The almost here being the fact that the voice acting means less people going "oh I thought he was a girl."

This happened more often than you'd think during the fan translation era.

That elf and Mickbel, the half-foot in Kabru's party who hangs out with the kobold, are both misgendered in the early volumes of the official translation. Like the actual, physical volumes I bought, I was very confused at first, but I guess they started printing those before the Adventurer's Bible came out :v:

Also yeah, I still occasionally see posts on Tumblr saying "what do you MEAN Kabru isn't a beautiful butch woman".

Begemot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 20, 2024

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The art style really leans into androgynous character designs, and not usually in the traditional anime sort of Sephiroth androgyny. Especially with Elves (as Thistle can attest), but that's hardly unusual for Elves

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 20, 2024

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

A thing im sad they skipped over is this interaction with Namari and Kaka and Kiki that happened right before the dragon fight after Namari checks the Corpse retrieval place.

It kind of explains the details and limitations of resurrection as well as just being cute.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This reminds me of the little cartoon music videos for the retro Final Fantasy games from years back. :3:

e: Yeah, for the longest time I thought Thistle was a girl too.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 20, 2024

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think this Ryoko Kui person may be kind of a good writer.

Speaking of Ryoko Kui: what do you think her next work will be?

I'm kind of hoping she does something in the Dungeon Meshi world, but following a new set of characters. Like, there still feels like there's stuff to explore there.

But if she does a whole new thing in a whole new world that would be fun too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You'll need to extract her from playing anymore CRPGs first.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i believe its because people find him hot

i mean sure, i meant all the hes a psycho or hes disturbing. he just seems like someone who struggles to communicate his feelings openly, unlike Laios who says exactly what he feels.

I don't see him as being attracted to Laios so much as fascinated by someone so different than himself

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm kind of hoping she does something in the Dungeon Meshi world, but following a new set of characters. Like, there still feels like there's stuff to explore there.

I wouldn't expect this, honestly, judging by her past work. Kui is a very creative author and tends to move on after she's done with a world, though Dungeon is by far the most prolific of her creations and she seems to enjoy doodling sketches in that world.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She's shown off a lot of artwork on non-DM urban fantasy characters (and a lot on urban fantasy re-envisionings of DM, and many stories in her previous anthologies also dabbled in it) and it's all really enchanting. Hoping she follows up on that particular vision with her next series, whether it's a centuries-in-the-future "modern" DM or a new setting.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

One thing I find kind of funny is that due to a combination of Senshi being extremely bad at gauging the ages of other races and Maizuru not specifying that she's Shuro's nanny, there's a good chance that Senshi's "your food is filled with love" comment is him mistaking Maizuru and Shuro to be around the same age and that she has a one-sided love for her lord. We, the audience, see the image from Maizuru's memory of her being a teen or grown woman and looking fondly at a young Shuro eating her cooking and can intuit that she sees him as a surrogate son. But Senshi doesn't have that context and only hears about how Shuro was sickly growing up, or that Maizuru kept getting assigned to cook his meals, or Shuro's a meek and obedient guy.

It's just an interesting way to read the situation for me because Ryoko Kui has a very good sense of what the characters know vs what the audience knows.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/churroach/status/1781758110132011381?t=esk9kWVFuY-CBB4NiMwKzQ&s=19

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
From what we've seen so far Kabru is a very two-faced character, who's outward behavior is often a complete contrast from his inner thoughts and feelings in order to manipulate people how he wants. He also demonstrates a strong sense of self righteousness, he considers himself the good guy/main character and has demonstrated he's willing to ruthlessly kill people he views as evil with little remorse, a dangerous combination. Random chance has put him on an intercept trajectory with our party of lovable goofs, and its a tense moment seeing them finally collide into each other.

Fandom is also going to love it's blorbo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

their work is so good :3

https://x.com/churroach/status/1772300571552194695

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

i mean sure, i meant all the hes a psycho or hes disturbing. he just seems like someone who struggles to communicate his feelings openly, unlike Laios who says exactly what he feels.

I don't see him as being attracted to Laios so much as fascinated by someone so different than himself

He did kill a guy in cold blood, I think that's where people are getting the psycho vibes.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I wouldn't say in cold blood, but they did leave the bodies to sink and be eaten by fish, never to be found and resurrected

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fister Roboto posted:

He did kill a guy in cold blood, I think that's where people are getting the psycho vibes.

No, he killed MULTIPLE guys in cold blood. One of whom had already surrendered and was unarmed and restrained.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The first couple of guys were part of a tense stand-off and had a reasonable chance of murdering Kabru later, so I think they could probably be said to have been killed in lukewarm blood.

Killing the caster was 100% in cold blood, though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
you mean the caster who illusioned everyone in an attempt to make them all kill each other?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
it was self defence

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

He's a hero in a fantasy story, of course he killed those dudes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Begemot posted:

He's a hero in a fantasy story, of course he killed those dudes.

He's the leader of a D&D party, murderhobos don't let EXP piñatas walk away.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

YggiDee posted:

you mean the caster who illusioned everyone in an attempt to make them all kill each other?

Who was a defenseless prisoner, yes. Summary execution is practically an exemplar of killing in cold blood. Also, a war crime in our world.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kabru is not a psycho, he's just cynical.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arist posted:

Kabru is not a psycho, he's just cynical.

He's not psycho or cynical. He's socio- plus any suffix we think is appropriate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kabru would have the biggest boner reading this thread right now

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kabru is that one adviser in CK3 that has like +30 in Diplomacy and +25 in Intrigue and Ambitious. You put him on your high council because you're afraid of what'll happen to you if you don't.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kabru would absolutely survive the gom jabbar test.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

DrSunshine posted:

Kabru would absolutely survive the gom jabbar test.

Huh. Could Laois pass the Voight-Kampff test?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No he'd freak out the moment they asked him about the tortoise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Some interesting lines in this episode: Kabru initially asks Laios how eating the orcs tasted, while he's recounting his monster eating adventures. This suggests that he views orcs as monsters, no different from slimes or living armor. When Laios says they're cooperating with the orcs, Kabru's inner monologue comments that its an adventurers duty to kill orcs. Back in episode 10 we saw Tansu (the old gnome guy) meeting with the Lord of the island and discussing increasing the bounty on orcs, which suggests this might be the view of normal people in the world at large.

This gives added context to the scene in episode 4 with the orcs slaughtering everyone in that dungeon tavern. Everyone in that tavern would have killed the orcs without a second thought, and many of them probably have in the past.

This also makes the fact that Senshi some how managed to strike up a trading relationship with them that much more impressive, considering the deep animosity that exists.