Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Dexo posted:

tbf I don't think Mac Jones was particularly good his rookie season. Extremely overrated if you actually like watched him.
My thoughts generally are I think a great QB within 3-4 years will shine or be above average -> good regardless of situation.

I think you can make pretty much any decent like ~20-25ish QB have a mac jones/Gardner Minshew type season if you do put them in great circumstances, with a great system, that minimizes their weaknesses, and be a solid fringe playoff team. But like that's roughly the ceiling, unless you just loving assemble an allstar team of a roster around them.

It's workable, and it's a choice, but personally it's not what I am seeking with a QB.

Josh McDaniels did a really good job coaching him into being a small-ball QB. That plus power running and a good defense is going to make him look different than he actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Mac Jones was a fraud his rookie year. Using him as an example of a team failing a player is uh misguided

I still wish I could remember which Pats goon was arguing with me that he was better than Dak after that rookie year

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sataere posted:

Fields is good and I think he will he fine. And when he does well in Pittsburgh, it will be a very strong case for how important development actually is. The idea that if you are good you will always be good might be true in other sports, but football is too dependent on coaching and development.

I agree, I just mean that Fields is who he is, regardless of what the Bears put around him. I'm very much hoping, and think he should, win the starting job in Pittsburgh. Certainly would rather watch him than Wilson. And I think he will probably play better with better talent around him and better coaching. But he'll still mostly be the same qb we've been watching, just with potentially better results.

Cash Monet posted:

I think a bad situation can ruin a QB because it's way, way easier to form bad habits and traits in a bad situation.

I think Mac Jones is a good example: you saw what his ceiling was his rookie season but then he got worse in consecutive seasons because of what was going on around him. It wasn't just a dip in production either, you could see his processing regressed.

Those habits should change for the better if he gets back into a better situation. But I also don't think he's very good at all, regardless.

I'll admit that it can certainly stunt or effect a player's development temporarily, if the coaching and protection and pass catchers are bad. I just think that if they are actually very good the talent will show through regardless. 'Ruin' seems too strong a word unless it is injuries, like Andrew Luck or RGIII.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i believe very strongly there is one important factor that prevents a quarterback from being good and that is wearing a navy blue helmet with a C on it

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

I can see it. Polk is a zone poker that finds his spot and then hooks, he wasn't tasked with as much down the field safety work as Odunze and McMillan. Coleman I only love because of his MSU season before transferring and that he flashes a lot of potential if you just send him on slants over and over.

I guess it just shows how insanely deep this WR class is. I can see Polk having a solid career like Chris Godwin.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

I can see it. Polk is a zone poker that finds his spot and then hooks, he wasn't tasked with as much down the field safety work as Odunze and McMillan. Coleman I only love because of his MSU season before transferring and that he flashes a lot of potential if you just send him on slants over and over.

MSU Coleman is an easy top 50 pick. FSU Coleman is not especially good. With so many other WR's it's not worth the risk in my personal evaluation. Totally get the guys who watch him win every ball at MSU and are betting that guy is still there. That's not who he was at FSU.

Polk I just don't really see the upside. My evaluation isn't far off from yours. He looks like a depth piece to me. Not a bad depth piece. I think he'll have some roles to fill, but I don't see him as a starter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I like the Bears and Polk if they don't get one of the top 3

Him as a Zone fisher works with DJ Moore and Keenan Allen beating the poo poo out of you if you use man against them

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My podcast draft is Tuesday and I have Washington.

Going to go through all the pros and cons for Drake Maye and Jaylen Daniels and then take Joe Alt. I don't have to worry about getting fired or idiot fans and I think that's the best thing they can do

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Amy Pole Her posted:

Mac Jones was a fraud his rookie year. Using him as an example of a team failing a player is uh misguided

Yes and no; they did give him no help and then the coaching turned to total poo poo. They had the worst WR room in the league the last two years

He still also played like poo poo on his own too

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He was propped up by a good OC and then that foundation not only fell off, it turns out there was a sinkhole.

He was never as good as pats fans seemed to think after that first year. He likely IS as mediocre as he looked last season.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

kiimo posted:

Going to go through all the pros and cons for Drake Maye and Jaylen Daniels and then take Joe Alt. I don't have to worry about getting fired or idiot fans and I think that's the best thing they can do

Are you able to trade down?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

They have 36 and 40 also. I’d still take Daniels and go for OT and WR at the top of the second.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

No Butt Stuff posted:

They have 36 and 40 also. I’d still take Daniels and go for OT and WR at the top of the second.

Or do what i did in the goon draft and go Qb->OT->OT

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It’s just a first round mock, but also I really do not like the tackles in the second round or the end of the first Joe Alt is a decade plus start & forget it

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Legwold's top 100 is out: https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/story/_/id/39913882/2024-nfl-draft-jeff-legwold-ranking-top-100-prospects

Drake Maye at #23 is spicy

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The best part of the NFL Draft is no one knows anything.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

It’s just a first round mock, but also I really do not like the tackles in the second round or the end of the first Joe Alt is a decade plus start & forget it

Unless he’s Like Joeckel

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

The Spicy thing is all 3 WR1s and TE1 before QB1. Wow.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I got the players ranked #1, #34, and #35 for the Patriots in the Goon draft.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Anderson Koopa posted:

#20, #26, #51, and #92 for the Packers in the Goon Draft. We did good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
drat that top 100 is completely devoid of any analysis and is just him listing players stats what a loving hack lmao

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Jaheim Bell was 2nd in his high school hockey league for penalty minutes.

TE3 all day.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I like how Mo Kamara is every analyst's "dammit I wish I could justify ranking this guy higher" pick. As a CSU homer I hope he beats the odds and has a good career.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Mo Kamara is a dude that will either be a steeler or raven and make lives of the opposing fanbase miserable for the next 8-10 years

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

A Sneaker Broker posted:

#2, #19, #29, #42, #67, #80 and 1st honorable mention for the Cardinals. :haw:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he can catch the ball any place on the field.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

For a pretend NFL GM I feel like I did pretty well for myself considering I don't watch College Football.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Cavauro posted:

he can catch the ball any place on the field.

even out of bounds

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I like how Brock Bowers can be a top 3-5 player on a bunch of notable big boards and the best I’ll be able to muster when we take him at 10 is mild positivity.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

I like how Brock Bowers can be a top 3-5 player on a bunch of notable big boards and the best I’ll be able to muster when we take him at 10 is mild positivity.

He’s not going to bust but he is going to disappoint whatever team drafts him, relative to expectations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

He’s not going to bust but he is going to disappoint whatever team drafts him, relative to expectations.

Yeah, never draft a TE in the first round.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, never draft a TE in the first round.

Last years TE class has been so good. Majority all on Day 2 and they are booming.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Anderson Koopa posted:

#22 and #64 for the Broncos. Managed two top 100s despite no second!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

#14, #56 and #69 (nice).

Sounds like Murphy was a steal for me and Lassiter was about right.

I dunno if Worthy is gonna be anything but he seems like a dude who could be really fun to watch.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nosre posted:

From the NE perspective, the whole offseason and all of this relies on the hope that they've fixed their offensive coaching staff and do have a development plan now.

If they don't, none of this matters and we'll need to wait 2-3 years for Mayo and Wolf to be fired and do it all again. Because if they can't develop a guy now, they also can't next year or the year after (plus that introduces all sorts of new uncertainties re: the quality of the rookie prospect)

Here is my thing, the Pats shouldn't draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB at 3. If you are forcing the pick, trade out and get a haul and figure it out in next year's draft (or the year after). If you believe in May or Daniels, fine then go for it.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Sure, I don't write a qualifier like (assuming they believe in the guy) every time I mention taking a QB because every piece of info and rumor we've heard is that they do consider both Maye and Daniels to be prospects worthy of the #3 overall.

If somehow all of that was smokescreen, then I definitely agree they shouldn't force it.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Here is my thing, the Pats shouldn't draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB at 3. If you are forcing the pick, trade out and get a haul and figure it out in next year's draft (or the year after). If you believe in May or Daniels, fine then go for it.
Waiting 2-3 years when you're the owner and in your 80's doesn't seem ideal.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If they are trading out they are doing a great job smoke screening it. Pretty much everything I’ve seen whether local or national is that they are fine with several of the QBs and will take their guy unless they are offered 69 first rounders. And yeah it’s been reported that Kraft basically told them to take the QB as well. Which could be part of the smoke screen too of course. At least they’re committed to it.

Look I will take anything positive about the Patriots organization I can get these days ok. Even if it is “good at lying”.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
We had this argument about not drafting a TE in the first before and people are still having it despite TEs becoming essential parts of modern functioning offenses. We're past the days of 12 personnel Patriots, you can use TEs in a variety of ways and even make them the focal point of a Super Bowl winning team. I think it's due to the athletic boom of big men and the need for quick hitting offenses to find big targets that can get to a spot on the field as fast as a receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you are going to use Bowers as just a boring rear end inline Tight end then yes, you should extremely not draft him in the first round.

If you plan to use him as a weapon doing anything from putting him in the backfield to splitting him out wide, then he is extremely worth that pick.

It's all team and role dependent.