Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FizFashizzle posted:

infection and pain management.

Obviously if they fry the lungs that's less than ideal. But the skin is a barrier against infection, and if that is sloughed off, it's basically an open highway.

If the vascular is damaged enough, you won't be able to get lines in for fluids, pain meds, replacement blood products.

There's tons of arterial damage and you're having to use pressors to keep their MAP up, but this just causes their distal extremities to lose blood flow.

It's just awful.

my cousin died a couple of days ago from burns sustained in a house fire. apparently he was able to speak to family on the phone while at the hospital. i can't stop thinking about how much being conscious for that must have felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Rust Martialis posted:

It's the lungs isn't it. Breathing flames

yeah at his level of burn damage, the damage done to the lungs by breathing in flames is not something they will be able to save him from. but at that point its honestly a mercy because the skin damage was also going to kill him, just ... over a longer, crueler timeframe

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
He died

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/20/man-dies-after-setting-himself-on-fire-outside-trump-trial-courthouse

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

I found this amusing

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Alhamdulillah

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

infection and pain management.

Also massive, massive dehydration and thermoregulatory issues.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What if they just turn his pain receptors off like in Dark Man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's really funny to me hearing conservatives and their pundits going on about poor DJT not being able to get a fair trial in NYC because I think about blood red states like Mississippi and Arkansas trying black folks not too terribly long ago with all white juries that sentenced people to HANG because blacks weren't allowed on juries. Or women for that matter. Trump has more clout (and money) in NYC than most people I'd think. Poor guy.

Good to know that, in the event I get busted, I get to say that as a bisexual, barely employed, liberal white male then the only place my verdict counts is in Portland, SF, NO or Key West, FL.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lammasu posted:

That's kinda what they did.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lammasu posted:

That’s what massive amounts of IV dilaudid and a ketamine infusion will do for you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 47 hours!)

LeeMajors posted:

That’s what massive amounts of IV dilaudid and a ketamine infusion will do for you.

I also have read that full thickness burns kill the pain nerves anyhow. Not sure if that's even remotely true

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Giuliani’s Son, Former Aide Hit With Subpoenas in Asset Search
Original (paywalled) link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-19/giuliani-s-son-former-aide-hit-with-subpoenas-in-asset-search?srnd=homepage-americas

quote:

Rudolph Giuliani’s creditors expanded their probe into the former New York mayor’s finances, filing more than a dozen subpoenas in his bankruptcy case on Friday.

The formal requests, filed Friday in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, were made by Giuliani’s official committee of unsecured creditors, who are seeking to uncover any hidden assets they believe should be distributed to them.

The committee served subpoenas to Giuliani’s son Andrew Giuliani, president of his third-party litigation defense fund; Maria Ryan, who co-hosts a podcast with Giuliani; and to Giuliani’s former assistant. The committee also filed document requests for corporate entities affiliated with Giuliani, and to Giuliani himself.
The former assistant, Noelle Dunphy, is a member of that creditors committee, and has said she has access to 23,000 of Giuliani’s personal emails.

Giuliani filed for Chapter 11 last year, saying he was unable to pay a $148 million defamation judgment brought by Georgia election workers.

The subpoenas filed Friday seek information about Giuliani’s finances, including communications about his income, expenses, bank accounts, and small businesses.

Trump Legal Fees
The subpoena to Dunphy asks for “Documents and Communications concerning the nature of any legal services that Giuliani has performed, or continue to perform, for Donald J. Trump.”

The creditors committee previously also hired a forensic accounting firm
to probe his finances, including money tied to legal services done for former President Donald Trump.

Dunphy sued Giuliani for sexual assault, harassment, and wage theft. In her complaint filed last year, she said Giuliani loaded his email account onto her computer, giving her access to his inbox.

“Since Giuliani gave Ms. Dunphy access to his email account, she had access to information that was, upon information and belief, privileged, confidential, and highly sensitive,” Dunphy’s complaint said.

Giuliani has said he’s owed about $2 million from the Trump Campaign and the Republican National Committee for legal fees related to the 2020 campaign. Creditors have considered suing Trump to recover those fees.

Dunphy has access to emails “from, to, or concerning President Trump” and his family, as well as top Republican officials and advisers, according to her lawsuit.

The unsecured creditors committee is represented by Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld. Giuliani is represented by Berger Fischoff Shumer Wexler & Goodman LLP.

The case is Rudolph W. Giuliani, Bankr. S.D.N.Y., No. 23-12055-shl, 4/19/24.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Massive burns are awful. The skin is also the barrier to insensible losses, so depending on the loss of area we’re talking the patient’s burn ICU room is kept very warm. Insensible fluid losses can be difficult to replace and require fairly high IV fluid rates, and that alone can lead to severe edema of the burned areas. Sometimes escharotomies or compartment syndrome decompression surgeries are needed just because of the IV fluids given. The sheer amount of inflammation can lead to coagulopathies as the clotting factors all short circuit, kidney failure, etc. Ventilation management for inhalation injury is a challenge when airway edema or ARDS sets in. The needed IV fluids only makes all that worse. They are very hard patients to treat. I took care of a guy once who was working crew on a boat that suffered a massive explosion. He did survive his burn unit stay. It was maybe 20-30 days later when he was a lot more with it, we realized he also had severe PTSD. I mean, enter the room wrong or drop something outside or his pump starts beeping, and he’s screaming. That was probably the worst outcome effect tbh.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

He was lucky then

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Rust Martialis posted:

I also have read that full thickness burns kill the pain nerves anyhow. Not sure if that's even remotely true

That is true but you’ve got a gradient of burns out from the full thickness portions.

Not to mention the pain of airway burns, intubation, debridement….

I’ve been a medic a long time and burns are one of the few things that give me the willies still.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

"We are 100% behind the police and law enforcement! If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear!"

"We can't get a fair trial! This is selective political prosecution! The FBI is totally out of control!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

"We are 100% behind the police and law enforcement! If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear!"

"We can't get a fair trial! This is selective political prosecution! The FBI is totally out of control!"

Well you see the FBI is the Deep State, completely different from all those small-town police departments that routinely targeted and harassed people for suprious reasons because they knew they could get away with it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah? Okay. I think we’re all good with that.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

No. Don't. Stop.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Is that literally the last resort he has?
He's repeating that for days now.

Seems a bit pathetic to me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh no, Joe Biden will be prosecuted for his 91 crimes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lock her..uh....him...them...someone...

Lock...SOMEONE up! USA! USA! USA!

No not that person. Some other person.

Whatever person I say is bad. Is that Omar lady still in congress?

Maybe her. Lock her up for something. I hear Hunter Biden has done drugs so maybe that dude.

I don't know. I'm a Republican who only believes in law and order when it doesn't affect me, you see.

Also, I go to church every once in a while and pretend to believe in God so...

USA

USA

USA

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm not well versed in American Federal/State law.
If the state of New York was to order Trump's arrest at the end of his trial, could he circumvent it by fleeing the state and never returning?
Are there extradition rules between states?

I know this is a completely absurd scenario, but I'd imagine that would hamstring a potential president quite a bit.
And hey this is the guy who filed fraudulent bail for his fraud conviction, so maybe he's just bound to end up with the most absurd scenario imaginable...

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
The immunity thing is particularly funny because he's arguing that the President should have full criminal immunity while he's not the President. The most spectacularly short-sighted argument he could possibly be making.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

If the state of New York was to order Trump's arrest at the end of his trial, could he circumvent it by fleeing the state and never returning?

I know this is a completely absurd scenario, but I'd imagine that would hamstring a potential president quite a bit.
And hey this is the guy who filed fraudulent bail for his fraud conviction, so maybe he's just bound to end up with the most absurd scenario imaginable...

Crossing state lines like that makes it a federal offense and the FBI would be responsible for tracking him down. Part of the reason for the creation of the FBI and federal law enforcement was precisely because criminals could cross state lines and be out of the jurisdiction of the laws they broke.

Yes, there are extradition agreements between the states as well.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

There's mandatory extradition between states. It's required by the US Constitution.

Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2:

quote:

A Person charged in any State with Treason, Felony, or other Crime, who shall flee from Justice, and be found in another State, shall on Demand of the executive Authority of the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having Jurisdiction of the Crime.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Thing is, Trump thinks everyone is just as corrupt as he is. The concept of loyalty and integrity are completely foreign to him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

There's mandatory extradition between states. It's required by the US Constitution.

This part is going to be especially fun once states start making it illegal to cross state lines for an abortion elsewhere, then demanding formerly pregnant people return to face justice

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

It can be challenged. The governor in some states can deny extradition if the penalty is life or death. This kind of stuff also happens: Arizona prosecutor refuses to extradite murder suspect to New York.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Seems pretty solid to me.
But some possible points of attacks are the words "Justice" (Is the conviction truly justice?) and "Found" (does a random civilian assuming he saw a person, cause an FBI raid on a private residence to find that guy, or could DeSantis just stonefacedly say, "We haven't found Donald Trump and there is no reason or warrant to search for him in Maralago. Furthermore there's no reason to suspect he'll be at my golf club next saturday. But of course, we will extradite him as soon as we happen to find him.")

mawarannahr posted:

It can be challenged. The governor in some states can deny extradition if the penalty is life or death. This kind of stuff also happens: Arizona prosecutor refuses to extradite murder suspect to New York.

I guess that makes sense. If a person commits crimes in two states, obviously they can't sit in jail in both of those states.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 21, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Typically what happens in state court is that the sentencing happens immediately at the end of the trial; the defendant is taken into custody right then, so there's no opportunity to flee. This is part of why Trump is required to be present at trial.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Typically what happens in state court is that the sentencing happens immediately at the end of the trial; the defendant is taken into custody right then, so there's no opportunity to flee. This is part of why Trump is required to be present at trial.

This depends on the state. Some states take months and months to sentence defendants because their supreme courts have added all sorts of process between the two. Others are immediate sentencing. Some are immediate revocations of bail, which means immediate incarceration, pending the wait for sentencing. I have no idea what the rules are in New York.

Also if he flees the State the only way to avoid extradition is have the governor of the state he's in personally decline to extradite him. Someone above quoted the constitutional provision that makes it the governor's personal decision. The governor can delegate it but in the end it's the governor. That means to avoid extradition he'd be stuck in states with governors that would do that for him. And good luck with that. And all it would take to circumvent that is a federal warrant in his federal case, which would be easy if he's on the lam in the state case. That means any federal law enforcement (including the secret service) are required to place him in custody, and the feds don't extradite they just transport his rear end. So that's not something to worry about.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BigHead posted:

Also if he flees the State the only way to avoid extradition is have the governor of the state he's in personally decline to extradite him. Someone above quoted the constitutional provision that makes it the governor's personal decision. The governor can delegate it but in the end it's the governor. That means to avoid extradition he'd be stuck in states with governors that would do that for him. And good luck with that.

So anyway that's how Greg Abbott got picked for the VP slot.

I joke I joke. I think.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

On the eve of judgement trump flees to Florida where an emergency session passes a parity law with new York and dc. the same night he is tried and "convicted" of whatever charges hes about to be convicted of in other states and sentenced to supervised (by his daughter or staff) release for the remainder of his life. Bing bong one secret move prosecutors hate this

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If Trump is convicted and sentenced to jail I don't think even the chuddiest pro-Trump governor is going to decline extradition.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seems pretty solid to me.
But some possible points of attacks are the words "Justice" (Is the conviction truly justice?) and "Found" (does a random civilian assuming he saw a person, cause an FBI raid on a private residence to find that guy, or could DeSantis just stonefacedly say, "We haven't found Donald Trump and there is no reason or warrant to search for him in Maralago. Furthermore there's no reason to suspect he'll be at my golf club next saturday. But of course, we will extradite him as soon as we happen to find him.")

I guess that makes sense. If a person commits crimes in two states, obviously they can't sit in jail in both of those states.

The Extradition Act elaborates a bit on the Constitution's wording:

quote:

Whenever the executive authority of any State or Territory demands any person as a fugitive from justice, of the executive authority of any State, District, or Territory to which such person has fled, and produces a copy of an indictment found or an affidavit made before a magistrate of any State or Territory, charging the person demanded with having committed treason, felony, or other crime, certified as authentic by the governor or chief magistrate of the State or Territory from whence the person so charged has fled, the executive authority of the State, District, or Territory to which such person has fled shall cause him to be arrested and secured, and notify the executive authority making such demand, or the agent of such authority appointed to receive the fugitive, and shall cause the fugitive to be delivered to such agent when he shall appear. If no such agent appears within thirty days from the time of the arrest, the prisoner may be discharged.

The exceptions that people have mentioned above are, as far as I understand, wrong. Governors do not currently have the legal right to decline to extradite, even if the situation is thought to be "life or death".

For much of US history, they did have that ability, as there was no mechanism to force states to comply with an extradition request, due to a Supreme Court ruling from the Civil War declaring that the federal courts had no right to intervene here. However, Puerto Rico v. Branstad overturned that in 1987, allowing federal courts to order states to comply with extradition requests. (as a side note, the judicial history here is kind of fascinating)

Under Puerto Rico v. Branstad and other current court precedent, all states are required to comply with valid extradition requests, as long as all the paperwork is correct and in order. The only exception is if the person is already facing trial or serving a sentence in the state they're in, in which case the extradition can be delayed until that sentence is served. If a state refuses to comply with a valid extradition request, the requester can go to the federal courts and ask a federal judge to order the other state to comply with the extradition.

mawarannahr posted:

Despite the Arizona prosecutor's grandstanding, Arizona hasn't actually outright refused a formal extradition request. Bragg doesn't seem to have requested yet that the governor of New York send an official extradition request to the governor of Arizona. And since the suspect in question is facing trial in Arizona too, the governor of Arizona won't be required to carry out the extradition order until that case is over and the Arizona judicial system is done with him.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

If Trump is convicted and sentenced to jail I don't think even the chuddiest pro-Trump governor is going to decline extradition.

Some say they would
https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1641575007552778243

quote:

The weaponization of the legal system to advance a political agenda turns the rule of law on its head.

It is un-American.

The Soros-backed Manhattan District Attorney has consistently bent the law to downgrade felonies and to excuse criminal misconduct. Yet, now he is stretching the law to target a political opponent.

Florida will not assist in an extradition request given the questionable circumstances at issue with this Soros-backed Manhattan prosecutor and his political agenda.
3:55 PM · Mar 30, 2023

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Yeah, I don't want to go too far down the fan-fiction rabbithole but Abbott/Texas would absolutely welcome that fight and DeSantis/Florida might not be too far behind.

Given that prison is unlikely for Trump in this instance it's cart ahead of horse but if you're hellbent on having a crisis, here's a great opportunity for it. Bannon probably dreams about such a circumstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
How many times can you say Soros. You know the first draft of the tweet was (((Manhattan DA))). I am so glad he got loving trounced by Trump in the primaries. What a loving Reek wannabe.