Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

What do you do with all the tea? Just sell it?
Among other things they make beautiful hedges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
They also function as fences that never decay. So do Lightning Rods

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Tea plants are actually more profitable now overall, the recent change made the sell price decrease, but they also made it so you recover the tea plant sapling when you chop it down, so you get the benefit of selling the tea leaves during the growing season, and then you get the sapling at end of season and can sell it, netting more money overall but with more effort required.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like to put a row of tea saplings in the basement so I can pretend I'm growing hydroponic weed down there. Also they're the only thing you can grow hassle-free in pots until you get quality retaining soil, which is super late game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Bats are better with the advent of mushroom logs.

Oh what a surprise you're coming out in favour of bats

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Alxprit posted:

Shame if so. I just liked having it in my house as something I could grow without worrying about watering. I suppose in the new era of quality retaining soil it'd be better to just make it all more ancient fruit instead though.

You can't grow Ancient Fruit in garden pots.

You can grow coffee though! That's what I do.

Pththya-lyi posted:

They also function as fences that never decay. So do Lightning Rods

:hmmyes: I just finished replacing my animal pen fence with Lightning Rods.

I'll go set up a pot basement of tea plants next.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I like the idea of using tea plants as hedges, that sounds pretty.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

But can you put grass under the tea saplings? If you can't they are worthless as a fence.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

HopperUK posted:

Oh what a surprise you're coming out in favour of bats

My culture is not a costume!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rosalie_A posted:

As unintuitive as it is, Artisan from the farming tree is better for selling processed animal products than Rancher from the animal tree.

This is silly and I don't like it, but them's the breaks if you aren't modding.

Thanks for the heads up about this, I somehow forgot or didn't know about the branching job paths so I didn't know artisan was an option. We just unlocked the sewers tonight so I went and respecced and the difference in profit is huge.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There has been so much rebalancing since this game came out and artisan is still the only reasonable choice for farming

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
With Shepherd and golden animal crackers you can make 3-4 cloth a day per sheep. Sure it's not as powerful as Artisan, but it's a fun alternative if you're bored of wine farm.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Jedrick posted:

With Shepherd and golden animal crackers you can make 3-4 cloth a day per sheep. Sure it's not as powerful as Artisan, but it's a fun alternative if you're bored of wine farm.

And with an autograbber/autopetter you could just sleep through a year then pick up all the wool. Probably the most passive way to make lots of money.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There has been so much rebalancing since this game came out and artisan is still the only reasonable choice for farming

This imbalance still really bugs me especially with the new Meadowlands farm. The second level of the animal branch should give you an additional 20% boost to Animal Products (to bring it inline with Artisan for those goods), and at the very least Truffle Oil should also count as an Animal Product like cheese/cloth etc.

The Artisan branch then would be better only for wines, beers, honey, and the preserve jar products (and dehydrator/fish smoker now). Still would probably be the better generic choice, but a ranching farm would be way more comparable.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 20, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm going all in on animals this time even if it's not as optimal. Theme farm!

My first goat, the Elle's mod selected the void appearance so I guess Black Phillip lives with me now. Can only lead to good things. I *would* like to live deliciously.

e: Oh also, Fashion Sense is working fine now I updated everything

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

I'm gonna get a bunch of pigs and rabbits, get rich and become best friends with everybody not named Penny.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Why would you be friends with Clint over Penny? She ain't great, but he is so much worse.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Met this guy today and he offered a Faustian bargain…

:ohdear:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Met this guy today and he offered a Faustian bargain…

:ohdear:

Believe it or not he's totally legit. Really.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dunno-Lars posted:

Why would you be friends with Clint over Penny? She ain't great, but he is so much worse.

Rabbit's feet are unique in that they are a universally loved gift that can be obtained fairly reliably, and have a quality modifier. They are the single best gift item if you're not spreadsheeting out every character's unique preferences.

Penny is the only character in the game who does not like getting rabbit's feet as a gift, they are referring to that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Rabbit's feet are unique in that they are a universally loved gift that can be obtained fairly reliably, and have a quality modifier. They are the single best gift item if you're not spreadsheeting out every character's unique preferences.

Penny is the only character in the game who does not like getting rabbit's feet as a gift, they are referring to that.

It’s kind of odd that it’s just penny. Emily and Evelyn are both canonically vegetarians who hate being gifted fish (since meat doesn’t exist in Stardew in-game really) but are totally cool with getting rabbits feet. Although the rabbit seems to just shed them like a lizards tail in-universe so I guess that’s fine? Emily’s also so superstitious that it probably overrides her vegetarianism

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I give Leo a sashimi and he dislikes it. "I don't think I can digest this."

A month later, he moves to the valley and Linus is teaching him to "cook" fish. He regards this as a strange and foreign concept.

I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s kind of odd that it’s just penny. Emily and Evelyn are both canonically vegetarians who hate being gifted fish (since meat doesn’t exist in Stardew in-game really) but are totally cool with getting rabbits feet. Although the rabbit seems to just shed them like a lizards tail in-universe so I guess that’s fine? Emily’s also so superstitious that it probably overrides her vegetarianism

I saw someone suggest that it's not a foot, it's a mat. Rabbits get matted foot fur in a way that looks like extra toes sometimes, and you have to snip it off. So maybe you're making vegan-friendly rabbit feet out of something you groom from your rabbits.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I saw a better explanation in that rabbits in Stardew Valley grow feet the way sharks grow teeth, they have multiple rows of them underneath and they just move forward as the front ones fall off.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GotLag posted:

I saw a better explanation in that rabbits in Stardew Valley grow feet the way sharks grow teeth, they have multiple rows of them underneath and they just move forward as the front ones fall off.

Penny disliking them makes her the most rational person in town.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
As someone who has multiple lionhead bunnies IRL, the wool makes sense and the rabbit feets are probably as someone said matted fur that can't be turned into wool

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Omg farmer matter wool??? :swoon: you shouldn’t have

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GotLag posted:

I both want to see the fan art of this that I'm sure exists somewhere, but also I really, really don't want to see it as well.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I both want to see the fan art of this that I'm sure exists somewhere, but also I really, really don't want to see it as well.

they're clearly like lizards in that their foot can come off in extremity, but it regrows so it's no big deal.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Rabbits will pop around and kick their feet out when they're particularly happy. Maybe Stardew's bunnies kick their feet out a little too hard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ranch rabbits hunt other rabbits and eat everything except one foot, because it's unlucky for them to eat two feet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It comes up a few times that Penny is absurdly lucky, to the point that she's been banned from all games of chance in the town.

I must therefore assume that she fears triggering an underflow error on her luck, and that's why she hates being given rabbit feet.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

It comes up a few times that Penny is absurdly lucky, to the point that she's been banned from all games of chance in the town.

I must therefore assume that she fears triggering an underflow error on her luck, and that's why she hates being given rabbit feet.

I think this is a reference to the old superstition of unlucky in love, lucky at cards, given the rest of her life.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
she's just insanely good at games of chance

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
skill issue to think it's a luck thing and not her natural talent

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Cythereal posted:

Wait, really? I’ve never seen this dialogue, is it part of her romance or something? God, how can there be so much content in this game :psyduck:

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Kestral posted:

Wait, really? I’ve never seen this dialogue, is it part of her romance or something? God, how can there be so much content in this game :psyduck:

If you talk to her during the Stardew Valley Fair, she mentions that she won the spinning wheel game ten times in a row and the proprietor banned her from playing anymore.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I think she's the one who tells you that green is weighted better on the spinner in the fair, or at least implies the odds are uneven.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cambria Bold posted:

If you talk to her during the Stardew Valley Fair, she mentions that she won the spinning wheel game ten times in a row and the proprietor banned her from playing anymore.

The odds of this are around 1 in 20, so if 30 people play the game there's roughly an 80% chance that one of them will get that result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If Penny were that lucky, she wouldn't have her terrible home life. Maybe that's her curse: having to live with Pam (unless/until your farmer marries her).