Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Lol, Proteus looking like that "Electricity Monster" from Scooby-Doo:

The '92 series also toned down his healing factor a lot, IIRC. I'm not sure if it was from Proteus or something else, but I feel like there was a MULTIPLE episode arc where Logan was "laid up" in bed with bandages around his chest because of how bad the damage was and how long it was taking him to heal it.

That’s fairly consistent with how his healing factor worked back then. What would take a normal person months or years to repair would take Wolverine days to weeks. Over time it’s been written to be increasingly potent to the degree he can instantaneously recover from a nuke or Punisher has carte blanche to use him as target practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
In general X-Men power levels were not as insanely amped up at that point in the comics. As the 90s progressed, a lot of characters started to be written a bit more powerful.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

McSpanky posted:

Proteus jacked him up pretty bad, it was gnarly for a kids cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0m92xur9Y

that's the stuff! that's even harsher than i remembered it, yikes kevin

edit, wolverine surfing on logs was pretty neat

Zoobtro fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 19, 2024

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

zoux posted:

…much less the week after they just killed half the loving mutants on planet Earth.

what’s the hurry they ain’t going anywhere

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

zoux posted:

Look, no one gives a poo poo about Charles and Lilandra irl in the comics, much less the week after they just killed half the loving mutants on planet Earth.

The only memorable part of their relationship in the comics was when the Illuminati were having a meeting and they were just discussing personal stuff going on with the women in their life. Black Bolt wheels Xavier in, who gives some advice. Dr. Strange makes a flippant remark about how Xavier has dated outside the species.

Xavier: "How do you know about that?"

Strange: "It's on the internet."

Xavier: "You're on the internet?"

Xavier (thinking): "That's on the internet?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gavok posted:

The only memorable part of their relationship in the comics was when the Illuminati were having a meeting and they were just discussing personal stuff going on with the women in their life. Black Bolt wheels Xavier in, who gives some advice. Dr. Strange makes a flippant remark about how Xavier has dated outside the species.

Bendis?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

zoux posted:

Bendis?

Bendis.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I, for one, can't stand it when comic books aren't pages 'pon pages of purple prose.

NUFF SAID, TRUE BELIEVER!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

How else will Strange get hockey scores?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Even in the comics Xavier is mostly a good person. I don't imagine they will stray too much from his core in the show.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I get why people are down on this episode, but Xavier shutting down the superfight and forcing everyone to sit in a classroom was pretty great. I also have no idea how lovely Xavier can be, because my main experience is with the movie version, and from what I can tell he's just a real swell guy in those. (I also read the Ultimate X-Men comics and was going to reference him being good, but then I remember there being something about him being in love with Jean and it being really gross, so that's out.)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't believe Wolverine caressing a photograph in full uniform in bed is in the FIFTH episode of this entire show

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

The grossest thing about it is definitely outside clothes on the bed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

The '92 series also toned down his healing factor a lot, IIRC. I'm not sure if it was from Proteus or something else, but I feel like there was a MULTIPLE episode arc where Logan was "laid up" in bed with bandages around his chest because of how bad the damage was and how long it was taking him to heal it.

They didn't tone his healing factor down, later comics boosted it up. In the 80s and early 90s Wolverine had to meditate and stay in recovery for days, sometimes weeks recovering from major wounds, it was definitely different from straight-up "grow back missing flesh in seconds" grade regeneration. Kitty Pryde once threatened to kill him by running a sword between his ribs and lodging it in his heart. In the AoA. evil Cyclops blasted one of his hands off and it never grew back. Decades of subsequent power creep led to Wolverine in his current state where he can walk off nukes and insane poo poo like that.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

For once I like that they toned it down in an adaptation. Every other mutant being a possible earth destroying god gets old

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

McSpanky posted:

They didn't tone his healing factor down, later comics boosted it up. In the 80s and early 90s Wolverine had to meditate and stay in recovery for days, sometimes weeks recovering from major wounds, it was definitely different from straight-up "grow back missing flesh in seconds" grade regeneration. Kitty Pryde once threatened to kill him by running a sword between his ribs and lodging it in his heart. In the AoA. evil Cyclops blasted one of his hands off and it never grew back. Decades of subsequent power creep led to Wolverine in his current state where he can walk off nukes and insane poo poo like that.

My Hero Academia is compared to X-Men pretty commonly, and I love both, so I was wondering if mutant healing factors have like "All for One rules." He can't use a super regeneration quirk on his destroyed body because he got super regeneration after his body was all hosed up. So, I was wondering if Daken or Logan or Laura got mutilated and lost a limb or eye or something before their healing factor mutant power manifested, would that injury remain?

But apparently James Howlett was a weak, sickly boy, so maybe it's a totally different situation from AFO in MHA.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thats why Wolverine is so short, he stopped growing once his mutation manifested

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

McSpanky posted:

In AOA he got those sick head tatts as well, which at least Ultimate Logan could heal totally overnight (which he claims he'd use to impress dates)

When was the whole incinerated and regrown from a drop of blood incident, that was always the craziest thing to me, I dunno if he was being boosted by someone or what

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shoehead posted:

When was the whole incinerated and regrown from a drop of blood incident, that was always the craziest thing to me, I dunno if he was being boosted by someone or what

Not sure about that but he literally shrugs off a nuke I think during the original Civil War.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Mooseontheloose posted:

Not sure about that but he literally shrugs off a nuke I think during the original Civil War.

Uhh, where did they get a nuke in the Civil War?

Edit: Or I'm guessing you meant the superhero Civil War. My bad. To be fair, I'm pretty sure Wolverine was around during the actual Civil War, although I don't know if he was involved.

3 A.M. Radio fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 20, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I maybe mixing things up but Wolverine gets hit by literal explodes guy during Civil War which I thought was the equivalent to a nuke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitro_(character)

edit: sorry for the morning posting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mooseontheloose posted:

I maybe mixing things up but Wolverine gets hit by literal explodes guy during Civil War which I thought was the equivalent to a nuke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitro_(character)

edit: sorry for the morning posting.
He'd destroyed a whole town because he was juiced up on Mutant Growth Hormone, I don't know if he was still at that level when Logan ran into him, but he did still reduce him to a skeleton. Except for his brain which was enough for the rest of him to grow back.

3 A.M. Radio posted:

Edit: Or I'm guessing you meant the superhero Civil War. My bad. To be fair, I'm pretty sure Wolverine was around during the actual Civil War, although I don't know if he was involved.
He was in X-Men Origins, but IIRC he grew up in the 1890s in the comics.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Shoehead posted:

In AOA he got those sick head tatts as well, which at least Ultimate Logan could heal totally overnight (which he claims he'd use to impress dates)

That doesn't count, it was literally a drop of blood onto an omnipotent crystal thing, it wouldn't work any other time.

Lobo, on the other hand, could do that I think.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gavok posted:

I will always enjoy the meeting where Stark is telling all the married Illuminati how lucky they are because they get sex whenever they want and Xavier says, "Black Bolt is laughing at you with his mind."

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Wolvie's power has always been "whatever the writer needs to make the scene work". One time he was trapped in Antarctica, and survived by chopping off bit of skin and eating it as they grew back, which obviously would only work if his power was fueled by cosmic rays or magical pixie dust.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shoehead posted:

Sentinel Red posted:

That doesn't count, it was literally a drop of blood onto an omnipotent crystal thing, it wouldn't work any other time.

Lobo, on the other hand, could do that I think.

I rememeber reading the one with that crystal. Wasn't it an annual?

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Gynovore posted:

Wolvie's power has always been "whatever the writer needs to make the scene work". One time he was trapped in Antarctica, and survived by chopping off bit of skin and eating it as they grew back, which obviously would only work if his power was fueled by cosmic rays or magical pixie dust.

Most high level mutant powers can't possibly be supported by biological metabolism

Logan's mitochondria tap directly into the Punch Lunch Dimension

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wolverine probably tastes like something beer battered.

Also with Nightcrawler joining the team, he's now got 2 best friends to hang out with. This is the happiest Logan ever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Logan’s regen has for sure been toned down in recent years as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm all caught up on X-Men 97 now and I have to admit that I'm confused about some of the goings-on, since I haven't watched the original show since it first aired. So Xavier WASN'T killed by an assassin, he's actually been out in space with his Bird Girlfriend all this time? Do the X-Men actually know this or do they believe he's dead? Did Magneto know?

Edit: I also don't know if we're spoiler free on the latest episode yet, sorry!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

No I think your level of understanding is up to speed with everyone else's. Maybe we'll find out more soon!

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Magneto knew where Charles was, he was there at the series finale when it happened. granted, they don't know for sure he didn't die after they sent him to space

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They could retcon some telepathic japery for all we know, there's just no way to tell until Xavier returns.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
We never left the Motendo, did we?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I don't think its that confusing. He got fatally shot, and was pretty much on his deathbed and said his goodbyes to everyone. And literally about to choke out his last breathe. Then the alien gf showed up and said they can take care of him and would only survive under shiar healthcare. So to them, he's pretty much gone as far as earth is concerned.

Same thing with Madelyne and Scott sending Nathan into the future. He will live, but to them, they still had to say goodbye and lost a son

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umxRwIKOPA4

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen0rBKLuYE

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Cassandra Nova living in the giant skull of Ant Man is not something I was expecting to see today.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Cassandra Nova living in the giant skull of Ant Man is not something I was expecting to see today.

I see that every time I close my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Liefeld's Just Feet massage parlor