Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Wolfsheim posted:

You know that it isnt!!!

take it to the bank, you'll have dreadwolf trophies in your psn by christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are people looking forward to "Dragon Age: Dreadwolf"

Dreadwolf and silksong are the two new releases I'm looking forward to this year :dumb:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
My copy of Stellar Blade came in early! I don't know if it is because of all the time I spent grinding out the boss challenge, but it seems a bit easier than I recall in the post demo areas.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Ryoga posted:

My copy of Stellar Blade came in early! I don't know if it is because of all the time I spent grinding out the boss challenge, but it seems a bit easier than I recall in the post demo areas.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Wow I wish I could get a new game almost a week early. That's cool, please share your impressions.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
How is Stellar Blade not out yet? Feels like People have been playing it for weeks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vikar Jerome posted:

its out this year btw

No it's loving not lmao

acksplode
May 17, 2004

A few thoughts now that I'm out of Midgar in my zero-recollection replay of FF7:

* Tifa called Barret the r word :stare: Tifa...
* I remember there being arguments about how long the Midgar portion was when Remake released. Took me 7 hours but I'm sure you could do it way faster if you're racing through the critical path.
* I'm the president. I'm the mayor ho

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

acksplode posted:

A few thoughts now that I'm out of Midgar in my zero-recollection replay of FF7:

The Colonel posted:

got to the stairs in my japanese language replay of ffvii. i guess legends of localization beat me to it but, yeah i do not know how they got tifa calling barret a retard out of her responding to him complaining he's gonna die from all the climbing with asking him not to jinx them all

:iiam:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Baggot posted:

Wow I wish I could get a new game almost a week early. That's cool, please share your impressions.

Never underestimate the power of buying from local small game/hobby shops that don't give two shits about street date.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol no witcher 3 is not like that (its the final "fan" conclusion to 7 books and two prior games ) but bg3 is sure, you'll probably have a better experience cos bg1&2 npcs will show up and you wont piss your pants wondering if larian even bothered playing them before making bg3.

Well…CDPR did not expect your average gamer to be all caught up in the previous installments and it showed when I played it. The ending(s) to TW2 were pretty much irrelevant to the main beats of TW3.

So regardless, it sounds like I can pop in to BG3 and be a-ok. Just gotta find a spare 200 hours.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Anti-Hero posted:

Well…CDPR did not expect your average gamer to be all caught up in the previous installments and it showed when I played it. The ending(s) to TW2 were pretty much irrelevant to the main beats of TW3.

So regardless, it sounds like I can pop in to BG3 and be a-ok. Just gotta find a spare 200 hours.

No one is going to make a sequel that completely cuts out new players, but you absolutely get a lot more out of it if you are familiar with the earlier material. Those moments are going to hit a lot harder for you.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Playing Witcher 3 before the books actually helps because those middle books kind of suck so knowing a payoff is coming down the road is good

Nothing helps the Netflix show though

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

No one is going to make a sequel that completely cuts out new players, but you absolutely get a lot more out of it if you are familiar with the earlier material. Those moments are going to hit a lot harder for you.

Yeah, I do agree with you. What I got out of the BG3 discussion is the story connections to BG1 and 2 are even more tenuous.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is based off zero data and I’m talking out of my rear end, but if I had to fare I guess I’d bet less than 1/4 of Witcher 3 fans actually played the second game and way less than that for the first. I feel like I might even be being generous with that estimate. Like, I don’t think I have ever even talked to anyone outside of the forums that played the first game.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Anti-Hero posted:

Yeah, I do agree with you. What I got out of the BG3 discussion is the story connections to BG1 and 2 are even more tenuous.

I think being familiar with BG1 and 2 is kind of a net negative for enjoying BG3. This is mostly WoTC fault and not Larian's.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I played Witcher 2, but I also wouldn't really consider myself a "fan" of Witcher 3, I never finished it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Im pretty sure I played 1 and 2 back in the day but bounced off 3 repeatedly for some reason until it was released in the perfect format, on Nintendo switch.

Came at a different time in my life I think where being able to consume it in little chunks on a little handheld device was the best way to play.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t even know what I’d call myself in regards to Witcher 3. I think it’s a good game in a lot of ways and a bad game in some ways. I played it twice though and The first time I played it, it took me a drat year to finish cause I was usually only half feeling it. When I played it again after the ps5 update I enjoyed it a lot more. Like, significantly, but I still had all the same problems I initially had.

It’s an impressive world with a lot of great quest design but the controls suck and the combat is shallow and gets old, and CDPR is terrible at rpg systems imo. Just so much useless crap to pick up and skill trees where some abilities are so much better than others it’s like who cares. I like the game quite a bit but I’ve never been evangelical about it.

Cyberpunk has most of the same strengths and weaknesses but I liked it a lot more cause I liked the world so much more

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah for all its busted problems at launch cyberpunk is more my speed too. I gave it a super hard time at first (mostly deservedly imo) but I also have to admit they really turned it around and it’s actually good now.

I’ve always been more of a sci-fi guy than fantasy though so it doesn’t surprise me that I eventually enjoyed it more.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I was very impressed by the Witcher 3 but I did not like it. The scale and design of the world and the way quests were interconnected were a huge step up from other titles. But the combat is crummy, the systems are a mess, and the writing never went beyond “good… for a video game” for me. And the earlier two games had the same problems but even worse.

I think the huge reworking of Cyberpunk’s combat and skill trees that came along with The Phantom Liberty was the first time a CDPR game actually felt really good to play. Prior to that it was mostly my love of the cyberpunk genre that carried it for me.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The main issue with CP2077 is that Silverhand is a terrible, annoying character and you can't get rid of him. I couldn't play the game more than once because I could not stand Silverhand.

If you could get rid of him and then play a better game and story, it'd be awesome.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 are both stellar games, no need to pit them against each other

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I thought Silverhand was great! It’s basically just Keanu but more swearing; even when he’s supposed to be grating I wasn’t bothered and wanted more lol.

Cyberpunk was a huge 180 for me. That game got on my nerves in a huge way and I couldn’t get into it. Now whenever it gets mentioned I think I should start a new save and go shootin

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I love both and played both many times. Never understood the complaints about either. Even launch Cyberpunk was good (on PC).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah Johnny was fine, you’re supposed to think he’s a dickhead at first because he is a dickhead. He’s never meant to be the super cool revolutionary badass he thinks he is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crows Turn Off posted:

The main issue with CP2077 is that Silverhand is a terrible, annoying character and you can't get rid of him. I couldn't play the game more than once because I could not stand Silverhand.

If you could get rid of him and then play a better game and story, it'd be awesome.

v poor take

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Silverhand is a great character and who wouldn’t want Keanu to be the friend that lives in your head?

He is a prick, but depending on how you play he can be quite loyal to you by the end.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just got to the inverted castle in SOTN, this game rules

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Crows Turn Off posted:

wrong

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question that I may need to field in a different thread: what kind of TV would be well suited for a PS5? I've wanted to upgrade to a 4K TV for a while, and there are some smaller ones that don't run for too much. However, I don't know if there are ones that are better in regards to latency and whatnot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Imagine being this wrong and sad.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
What brightness level are you supposed to set in dragons dogma 2 to get rid of the horrendous color banding and lifted black levels? I don't mind the visual fidelity of the 3d side of a game but this looks loving garbage on my TV and resident evil 2 did too. Do I need to disable HDR?

E: setting HDMI black level to low in the TV settings helps, even though I know the PS5 and game is outputting full range. It doesn't seem to crush detail into nothing, so there's something hosed in the engine.
Also the opening cutscenes have the worst compression artifacts since Netflix first launched streaming video Jesus Christ.
I loved the first dragons dogma but I don't understand why the re engine has such garbage color and gamma management.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 21, 2024

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

JBP posted:

Imagine being this wrong and sad.
Yeah, I'm very aware that everyone else disagrees. This is very much a minority opinion.

I always think "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills" when people talk about liking Silverhand.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, I'm very aware that everyone else disagrees. This is very much a minority opinion.

I always think "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills" when people talk about liking Silverhand.

you are

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's an arc tbh. I hated him at the start on a few levels but by the end of PL I loved him. He's a dumbass.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

What brightness level are you supposed to set in dragons dogma 2 to get rid of the horrendous color banding and lifted black levels? I don't mind the visual fidelity of the 3d side of a game but this looks loving garbage on my TV and resident evil 2 did too. Do I need to disable HDR?

E: setting HDMI black level to low in the TV settings helps, even though I know the PS5 and game is outputting full range. It doesn't seem to crush detail into nothing, so there's something hosed in the engine.
Also the opening cutscenes have the worst compression artifacts since Netflix first launched streaming video Jesus Christ.
I loved the first dragons dogma but I don't understand why the re engine has such garbage color and gamma management.

Huh, I always leave the HDR settings at their default and have never had any issues with banding. I can see pretty good subtle detail in the darks even at night and it’s quite clean…

Aside from RE2’s oddly grey blacks, hasn’t the RE Engine’s HDR implementation generally been very highly regarded?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

OK PS5 thread I need your advice. I rarely have more than an hour or two a week to play video games but I have a two-week window of bachelorhood coming up that will provide me a precious opportunity to go full goon poopsock mode.

I’m in a sorta similar boat actually. I’m using it to play dragons dogma 2, BG3 and timesplitters 3 and neglect my personal well-being.

When the cats away the mice come out to play 😈 *falls asleep on the couch at 9pm while my pawns yell at me about a herb they found*

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Anti-Hero posted:

YMMV but I've done a decently completionist-feeling playthrough in ~80 hours but I've only played the game once unlike many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

acksplode posted:

* I remember there being arguments about how long the Midgar portion was when Remake released. Took me 7 hours but I'm sure you could do it way faster if you're racing through the critical path.
* I'm the president. I'm the mayor ho

Took me 4 hours just recently, also up go rocket town in about 10 hours, are you playing the ps4 version? Tbf i have been using the speed up thing tho