Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ded redd posted:

i just tried to play scorn, i think i managed both

:cheers:

a book about video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

World War Mammories posted:

a book about video games

lots of good ones!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finally finished the main plot of Phantom Liberty. Funny enough. Obviously told president cyber hillary to gently caress herself. Also game still got it. Was doing the samurai rerun quest, jumped on Kerry's car to catch a ride, and after a few hundred meters he drove straight into a wall and the game crashed 10/10

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Al! posted:

100,000s of thousands of downloads for guts who are going to spend hours installing mods to play for maybe 4 hours, ftw

hell yeah

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

genericnick posted:

Finally finished the main plot of Phantom Liberty. Funny enough. Obviously told president cyber hillary to gently caress herself. Also game still got it. Was doing the samurai rerun quest, jumped on Kerry's car to catch a ride, and after a few hundred meters he drove straight into a wall and the game crashed 10/10

lol. I will never forget when I first played the game and got in the limo to the hotel at the very beginning and the limo somehow missed its scripted turn and got stuck in a loop trying but failing to pull off a three point turn until eventually it crashed

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

genericnick posted:

one time I came across a pickup truck slamming back and forth in an impotent attempt to do a three point turn on a narrow highway. I stood there for a minute or two sort of transfixed before some sort of AI contingency must have kicked in and it rubberbanded through the median, slamming into me at like 90 mph and sending me flying off the highway to my death

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

Its cool how they make it clear that the president and her spooks are all awful people. You can be sympathetic to them if you want, they're deep enough that there's some humanity buried in there. But they're mostly contemptable and making excuses as to why they're constantly making life worse for everyone.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Its cool how they make it clear that the president and her spooks are all awful people. You can be sympathetic to them if you want, they're deep enough that there's some humanity buried in there. But they're mostly contemptable and making excuses as to why they're constantly making life worse for everyone.

i enjoyed how after the cool action sequence mission that introduces everyone johnny appears to tell you "look everyone you just met is a trained sociopath, trust none of them and be ready to run the second they appeal to anything besides greed"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

really the game's greatest failing is that alex isnt a romance option

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
they named the world ran by lords Lordran

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

The line it gave to V about "Wait, are you telling me that the CYBER-CIA DOES BAD THINGS OVERSEAS?!?!?" was particularly funny

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Blame Pyrrhus posted:

Fromsoft level design is so good you never need a map. I've never once thought "sheesh I wish I had a map" because around every corner is a unique and memorable scene. DS2, despite one of my favs, probably had the the worst level design in that aspect, but it was still miles ahead of any other wannabe.

Boring "square room -> hallway -> another square room" design is why I didn't make it past the first area in Lies of P. There are stairwells that remind me of the first time I was building quake levels in the 90s. It occurred to me that P, as well as a lot of souls likes, have similar level design to the PS2 Castlevania games.

You should definitely give Lords of the fallen a go, it's the closest anyone has come to ds1 in that respect imo.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

You should definitely give Lords of the fallen a go, it's the closest anyone has come to ds1 in that respect imo.

cruelest post itt

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo it's still 60 usd

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I picked it up when it was on sale a month or so ago. I only have 3 hours clocked from quickly checking it out, haven't given it a serious go yet.

The level design does seem better than most, but I haven't gotten my head wrapped around the combat yet. It feels so floaty and imprecise. At some point I'll dive in though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

one time I came across a pickup truck slamming back and forth in an impotent attempt to do a three point turn on a narrow highway. I stood there for a minute or two sort of transfixed before some sort of AI contingency must have kicked in and it rubberbanded through the median, slamming into me at like 90 mph and sending me flying off the highway to my death

I love when I jump into an NPC's car and get infinitely stuck in traffic because I parked my motorcycle in the middle of the street. That's fun to me.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah, but honestly I feel silly giving them poo poo for it. I switched to a shotgun build for the end of the run. Don't think my moral standing is all that.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

genericnick posted:

Yeah, but honestly I feel silly giving them poo poo for it. I switched to a shotgun build for the end of the run. Don't think my moral standing is all that.

Yeah lol "my god you just murdered them" when I've just killed 382 people om my way inside

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Al! posted:

100,000s of thousands of downloads for guts who are going to spend hours installing mods to play for maybe 4 hours, ftw

I did this for Fallout 4 VR but the left hand controls wouldn't work properly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

i enjoyed how after the cool action sequence mission that introduces everyone johnny appears to tell you "look everyone you just met is a trained sociopath, trust none of them and be ready to run the second they appeal to anything besides greed"

I felt bad that I couldn't tell Johnny that I was lying and just playing along when I gave the oath. He was so disappointed in me :(

(Full PL spoilers)
At least I later went with the ending where you send Songbird to the moon, which seemed like a Johnny-approved ending (and Johnny of PL is generally "Johnny at his best" and seems to be characterized like it's him after you did all his optional character development in the main game, like the excellent discussion at his "grave").

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

gradenko_2000 posted:

I played through the prologue/intro of Kingdom Come: Deliverance and good lord this game is authentic. I couldn't win a fistfight with the town drunk for the life of me, and the lockpicking controls were so squirrely that I couldn't get that to work either, so I snuck up on him, knocked him out with a choke-hold, lifted the keys from his body, and opened his chest to take his stuff back that way. It really feels like the game wants to drive home the notion that fighting is really loving difficult and dangerous and you need to find other solutions whenever you can.

There's also a ton of lore about the Holy Roman Empire that you can read in the codex if you want to immerse yourself in the game's universe.

Lockpicking is so much easier with a mouse that it's unfair.

One tip: Stay the gently caress away from fighting more than one opponent until you're properly trained and equipped.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Are there good mods for Fallout 1 and 2?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

Yeah lol "my god you just murdered them" when I've just killed 382 people om my way inside

they were all really bad people

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

docbeard posted:

Aww that line was for me the dingus who plays non lethal. I haven't killed anyone except that guy I tripped over and he exploded on the uneven floor.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

docbeard posted:

The important difference is that one of those victims was the hot lady

V has flexible morality, but has to draw the line somewhere

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A big ending about some tortured decision to kill a single person after the entire game was about mowing down hundreds of mooks is one of my least favorite story things in video games, just total incoherence right at the only point in the game where the plot actually has to make sense and fit together somehow

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

A big ending about some tortured decision to kill a single person after the entire game was about mowing down hundreds of mooks is one of my least favorite story things in video games, just total incoherence right at the only point in the game where the plot actually has to make sense and fit together somehow
yeah that's called bad writing.

one thing that was always a little annoying was when you'd battle through 50000 enemies + kill a megaboss + slinging a ton of mines n grenades on your back, then you go into a cutscene afterwards and then just like get knocked out by a tiny chop to the back or lose a gun battle to advance the plot so you can wake-up without weapons at a new level. like I get why those are a thing (particularly resident evil games cough), but i always wanted to see them better integrate the need to advance the plot to the next level/up-the-stakes or whatever versus the actual gameplay you were just doing

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

been hammering away at octopath 2 this weekend. gathering endgame gear and doing the sidejobs before finishing the story. then of course it's the super boss who's a whole game unto himself. he's apparently even harder than he was in the first game so color me stoked

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I loves me a good super boss

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

This isn't necessarily bad, depending on the person in question. It's not unreasonable for someone like V to care about some individual they know vs random gangoons. Part of what makes Cyberpunk good is that there's no presumption that your character is some paragon of morality.

(I'm not actually sure what ending you're referring to, though)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the story makes it clear that everyone involved, including V, is wholly self interested and would gently caress any of the others over for their goals. this is fitting for the tone and messaging of it imo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the one character who could at all be said to be in it for something greater than themselves is framed as being dangerously misguided at best

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cyberpunk isn't one I'd lump in with that, CDPR isn't shy about being clear that none of these movers and shakers are good people in any way. I guess it would pretty much be everything that's lumped in with "shoot and cry" as a pseudo-genre. I think TLOU is considered the founding member but I've never played it nor have any interest in doing so, but Dadnarok I did see someone play through and every 10 minutes was some #BeBetter thing about pitching redemption for some supremely loathesome sack of crap, that didn't even fit into the narrative well because every touching scene had to involve at least 3 participants becoming super dumb and forgetting obvious stuff that they themselves had pointed out previously, or else it wouldn't work. Then at the end, all the consequences for this are saddled on the dwarves and it ends with "huh, our moronic inaction really hosed them over, how sad that he hates us now that his best friend died for a weird macguffin that we're never really told why it matters at all"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think the issue is that I run out of patience for a bad story that is front and center faster than I do with bad combat that is front and center, and if a story is stupid and insane it'll hook me no matter what, but it's just a handful of indies and Kojima who are doing the latter anymore. What the hell have the people who made Blood Dragon been doing since?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Same, and the same thing applies to any movie where the action star kills a bunch of mooks.

The mooks are nearly always way less culpable morally than the big bad, but your hero has no issue killing them by the droves.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Gully Foyle posted:

Same, and the same thing applies to any movie where the action star kills a bunch of mooks.

The mooks are nearly always way less culpable morally than the big bad, but your hero has no issue killing them by the droves.

irl they don’t even kill henchmen they’ll happily murder civilians by the thousands to get to one “higher up”. even the most reactionary 80s action star is less of a monster than your average drone pilot!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was just thinking if Bethesda really wanted to cash-in on the popularity of Fallout, they could do a Remastered version of 3 and NV so that it'll work natively with Windows 11 and won't need things like a patcher for more than 4 GB of RAM. I don't think they really have the werewithal (or the competence) to go in there and start fixing bugs per se but just being able to play the vanilla game by installing it and clicking Play on Steam is going to win over a lot of players from sheer ease-of-use and convenience, which is likely the driver for the surge in popularity of Fallout 4 and 76 (despite all the whining from gatekeepers about how the older games are "better")

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if you believe ~gaming rumor~ sites they actually tried to get such a project off the ground but those resources were put into salvaging Starfield instead

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was just thinking if Bethesda really wanted to cash-in on the popularity of Fallout, they could do a Remastered version of 3 and NV so that it'll work natively with Windows 11 and won't need things like a patcher for more than 4 GB of RAM. I don't think they really have the werewithal (or the competence) to go in there and start fixing bugs per se but just being able to play the vanilla game by installing it and clicking Play on Steam is going to win over a lot of players from sheer ease-of-use and convenience, which is likely the driver for the surge in popularity of Fallout 4 and 76 (despite all the whining from gatekeepers about how the older games are "better")
i don't think there's really anything worthwhile for them to remaster 3, it's really kinda dire. could benefit from an overhaul inspired-remake I suppose

but yes it does seem like they were ill-timed in cashing in, i guess there's that 4k patch of 4 or whatever coming out?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
the dev of fursan al-aqsa has a trick for stealth kills

that's not even... like splinter cell or sniper elite methods lmao just totally on their own

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
hmmmm actually I was able to load up all the way into the baby section of FO3's intro from nothing but a clean install so maybe that got fixed in ... the update they made in 2021???