Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Did something happen in Congress recently I keep seeing chatter about how the Hastert Rule (yes I know its fake because there's no enforcement to it besides decorum) is dead now

I had to look up what the Hastert rule is (lol congress), but it looks like today's bill did violate it. More Republicans voted against the budget package than for it, so technically they're right? It's a fake rule anyway like you said. As are virtually all the "rules" in Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
https://twitter.com/WakeUp2Politics/status/1781757416625103208

AOC is a loser lol

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Her Animorphs style transformation into Nancy Pelosi is continuing apace.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:aochloe:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Oye Lmao Va

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think the Hastert rule was even a formal rule (and even the formal rules are meaningless anyway since they are decided by majority vote therefore they can be ignored by majority vote), it was more like a suggestion and speakers ignored it all the time.

If the speaker opposed something that would pass with the minority party's help it was an excuse to kill it without a vote, but if the speaker supported the bill the rule didn't stop them from bringing it up if they wanted to.

E:
Yeah
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastert_rule

quote:

Dennis Hastert (1999–2007): In 2003 Hastert said, "On occasion, a particular issue might excite a majority made up mostly of the minority. Campaign finance is a particularly good example of this phenomenon. [But] the job of speaker is not to expedite legislation that runs counter to the wishes of the majority of his majority." During his speakership, he broke the Hastert Rule a dozen times. In mid-2013 he said, "If you start to rely on the minority to get the majority of your votes, then all of a sudden you're not running the shop anymore." Later that year, Hastert said, "The Hastert Rule never really existed. It's a non-entity as far as I'm concerned." Reflecting on his time as speaker, he said, "This wasn't a rule. I was speaking philosophically at the time.... The Hastert Rule is kind of a misnomer."

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Apr 21, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

AOpC

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

did she cry in the statement

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

I had to look up what the Hastert rule is (lol congress), but it looks like today's bill did violate it. More Republicans voted against the budget package than for it, so technically they're right? It's a fake rule anyway like you said. As are virtually all the "rules" in Congress.

i'm glad that our representatives in the house could toss aside such bureaucratic nonsense and reach across the aisle to advance every american's most cherished values: more weapons for nazis and starving palestinians to death

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oneiros posted:

i'm glad that our representatives in the house could toss aside such bureaucratic nonsense and reach across the aisle to advance every american's most cherished values: more weapons for nazis and starving palestinians to death

And spying on Americans without a warrant! Can't forget the bedrock American value of a security state.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

docbeard posted:

When you run into an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you've run into an rear end in a top hat. When you run into assholes all day, they need to shut the gently caress up and vote, don't they know that democracy is on the ballot, Jack?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rectal Death Alert posted:

It probably won't be in the tell all books for years but I'm calling it now.

All of those meetings with foreign dignitaries and press conferences where Biden is surrounded by aides on all sides that randomly devolved into an aide suddenly bursting into "THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU." as they urgently clear the room didn't get any coverage in the media but I think those aides were his poop handlers placed there to smell when his poo poo his pants. The oval office had at least one meeting where a dignitary was cut off mid sentence when the person standing behind Biden just started yelling at everyone and the room was immediately cleared.

Whichever poop handler saw him make the toddler poopy face or smelled the drop would jump into action to hide this by dramatically clearing the room. Once one poop handler signals that the eagle has landed all of them join in unison to literally force everyone out of the room before the smell can spread. It happened like 4 times and there was never an explanation for it.

Are these poopies and associated documents detailing the procedure of said poopies archived? Will we be able to FOIA them?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
they must have stopped wanting to destroy democracy if dems had no problem helping them fund the government

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

nichael is this your truck

too lib

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Nichael posted:

Are these poopies and associated documents detailing the procedure of said poopies archived? Will we be able to FOIA them?

I really think its possible there is some proof. I just don't know where you would start or what all you can even FOIA.

There would obviously be conversations among people about it. They have a half dozen people acting in unison to aggressively empty rooms so the circle isn't just 1 or 2 people that know he is doing it. There would be a decorum wall of party silence to protect his image but it wouldn't necessarily be something that is perfectly 100% protected at the highest levels. Maybe someone has a nickname for it they use in texts, emails or meeting names when they practice the pants making GBS threads drills.

Maybe how they handle replacement pants or drills for protecting nearby bathrooms when they have to clean him up. Anything relating to him needing medical intervention just to walk between two points would probably be related. Inventories or requests for certain clothing or supplies. Correspondence about any of that.

Maybe diplomatic cables or statements by officials relating to the rome visit since foreign officials did comment openly about something that happened in front of people. Plenty of non-US non-democrat witnesses there. Maybe the ambassador joked about the pope covering his nose in an unclassified email.

Any official correspondence relating to the abrupt closure of the meeting or the actual internal reasons for it could disprove the poop handlers though.

Also i realize this is absurd but it's about proving the sitting president is literally incapable of holding the office which is both extremely obvious and being downplayed to an extreme degree.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Apr 21, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

absolutely needless unless you want to lose

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

hidden? Those are like, the classic characteristic symptoms of a posterior circulation stroke.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Nichael posted:

the poop papers are real

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://x.com/mattyglesias/status/1781835903805116825?s=46

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

AOC once smoked weed with me but didn't inhale.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Sorry, Joe; I don't work miracles."

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

he horny for gavin???

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Rubellavator posted:

the poop papers are real

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And spying on Americans without a warrant! Can't forget the bedrock American value of a security state.

I am old enough to remember the Bush years where even liberals had some skepticism about totally unaccountable surveillance and the military industrial complex.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

who cares about wireless tapping. nobody uses phone anyway

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

I am old enough to remember the Bush years where even liberals had some skepticism about totally unaccountable surveillance and the military industrial complex.

they all fell in line when a bunch of anthrax from a u.s. military research facility showed up in their mail

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Oneiros posted:

they all fell in line when a bunch of anthrax from a u.s. military research facility showed up in their mail

Wow, weird! Wonder how that happened?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

i assumed that was romney on the right until i scrolled down

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

literally on 420. loving bullshit

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

they were confiscated at border patrol checkpoints

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nonsense posted:

they were confiscated at border patrol checkpoints

Interior checkpoints that are pretty much an abuse of the border patrol being allowed to operate within 100 miles of the border. They were not literal border checkpoints for anyone who did not read it.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
loving bullshit

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Interior checkpoints that are pretty much an abuse of the border patrol being allowed to operate within 100 miles of the border. They were not literal border checkpoints for anyone who did not read it.

they got guns that work just as well as the actual border unfortunately, there's one between New Mexico and Texas, not sure which interior checkpoint they hit. They even have them if you're going towards Corpus Christi down here, violation of all that is right

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh yeah it's complete nonsense and an admin serious about legalization would be instructing border patrol to ignore state licensed sellers because that is a thing they could do right now

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh yeah it's complete nonsense and an admin serious about legalization would be instructing border patrol to ignore state licensed sellers because that is a thing they could do right now

The government can't just do things. We haven't even heard from the parlimentarian yet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is near my neck of the woods, this sucks rear end!

Half the reason I moved to NM was legal weed, why suddenly start loving with it 2 years after it went fully legal?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Crime Bill Biden genuinely would rather black children have their ability to experience pleasure permanently removed than let people smoke weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

WampaLord posted:

This is near my neck of the woods, this sucks rear end!

Half the reason I moved to NM was legal weed, why suddenly start loving with it 2 years after it went fully legal?

If Genocide Joe's going to lose in November, he may as well burn everything down on the way out.